How long can you plank for?

Options

Replies

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is no doubt based entirely on the fact that 30 seconds is my max, but I happily picked up on something I just read in Shape Magazine about planking. ".... researchers at the American Council on Exercise have reported that going beyond 30 seconds doesn't offer extra benefits.... just do them for 10 seconds at a time...Do five sets daily or on alternate days."

See? It's uncanny how I knew I shouldn't be planking for, say, half an hour at a time.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I finally feel better enough to try (btw: my pain was is from a repetitive motion at work, not from the planks), so I did! I did 3:00 knee plank, and did some alternate raising of my arms (that's tough!)! It's been a week since I've felt okay enough to try, so I'm proud of my time! :star:

@mandycat1223, I don't plan on any 30 minute planks either, lol! I am happy with the results I am seeing so far though! I'm hoping the strength I seem to be building here leads me to other, tolerable, strength building exercises too. I'm sure that planking is the same as anything else and we all have to find what works for us.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I took the day off today. I have been trying to jog! For realz! Lol
    I went Monday and Tuesday about 10 minutes each day, jogging half that time and today my legs are sore! Felt great Tuesday. Soreness didn't set in til today.
    Everyone is making great progress! And showing a solid commitment to getting stronger. Great work!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap I'm so happy your feeling better. Nice job today :)

I'm ready to get back at it to after a flare up in my shoulder. It's finally feeling better. It wasn't the planks that hurt it either, it was the combo of repetitive movement and planks. I gotta slow it down a bit.

@Sunny_Bunny_ way to go with the running! I'm always amazed at people who can run lol. Be sure to stretch after so you don't have problems with muscle tightness
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I was able to get two one minute elbow planks in, I tried two different arm positions and liked the first one best. it was recommended up thread by @LiftRunRepeat22 to cross my forearms which then rotates my shoulders in a different position and worked great. thank you
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Did my five minute plank routine yesterday, and a couple short planks today. Hope everyone is doing well :)
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Made it 3:00 just now, alternating between straight planks with a few little variations (alternating knee bends and torso twists) and about 1:00 of side planks. I guess I have my baseline now! Thanks for the reminder to try it, @auntstephie321!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Made it 3:00 just now, alternating between straight planks with a few little variations (alternating knee bends and torso twists) and about 1:00 of side planks. I guess I have my baseline now! Thanks for the reminder to try it, @auntstephie321!

:)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Oh man I was sore after the last post! I didn't try again until yesterday, and I only made two minutes, but I was on a tile surface, instead of carpet, and I think that's what made the difference in my ability (my hands hurt!). Haven't planked yet for today! Will report in after doing so! I will definitely be back on the carpet though!

@auntstephie321! You ROCK!! Side planks, wow!! My hero!! :blush:

@Mary! You're ROCKIN too!! Hope you aren't too sore!! :smiley:
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Holding a minute at a time rather than my max of 2, but I have been mixing my weight routine so I expect my abs have had other things keeping them busy.
  • kimmorrow30
    kimmorrow30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got 30 seconds in and then my cat sabotaged me! LOL
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I made it to 3:00 with a knee plank, and doing some intermittent arm lifts and one, fifteen second, full plank! I'm feeling pretty good! Plus, I've lost a fat roll in my abdomen! This is amazing since I thought I would always have them after losing 130 pounds! But, it's gone! I keep feeling to be sure, lol! I've been taking pictures too, but they have a lot of changing left to do before anyone sees them!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I made it to 3:00 with a knee plank, and doing some intermittent arm lifts and one, fifteen second, full plank! I'm feeling pretty good! Plus, I've lost a fat roll in my abdomen! This is amazing since I thought I would always have them after losing 130 pounds! But, it's gone! I keep feeling to be sure, lol! I've been taking pictures too, but they have a lot of changing left to do before anyone sees them!

:) so exciting, great job, I can't wait to see those pics!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Well I've totally been slacking. Which stinks cuz I'm so close to my one year mark and I'd love to make some more progress by then.
  • workathomemama
    workathomemama Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did 1 min plank on my hands. It was a struggle because I tried to get in a full push-up around 30s, didn't work. Couldn't go all the way down. Push-ups are evil.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    That's great! Push ups are evil lol. That's why I love planks. Hopeful to get started back up tonight. Nice work!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Popping by to say Everyone is doing great!! I am still doing the counter level push ups.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of building up to 5 min. I'm in
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I made it to 3:30!! Then haven't done it for a couple of days, after a super busy day at work on Wednesday I've just been tired. I figured out the pedometer on my phone and see that on days I work I am logging right at four miles walked, so I'm not missing any movement, that's for sure (no wonder I'm so tired when I get off, lol!) I will be planking later today and will report in on the results!!

Yes, the one year mark is quickly approaching @auntstephie321!! Unbelievable, isn't it?!? It's hard to believe we've been here this long already!! It's wonderful!!!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    You guys are so cool to keep at this. Yea!!! I'm still walking and lifting and enviously lurking here at your success!

@auntstephie321 - Awesome photo of your gang. I'm a photo bug, so my 2cent. You can easily Photoshop out the fire alarm and crop it then frame it as a holiday gift to loved ones. That is truly a keep sake. I've lost family members over the years and I look back fondly at the old group photos we took as a family. That's a keeper!