What are you reading currently?

Options

Replies

• fergie1203
    fergie1203 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I always have 2 on the go. In the car I have the Cuckoos calling which apparently is JK Rowling but I didn't realise when I got it. I am reading The Short Drop by Matthew Fitzsimmons too
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    NOSSMF-I just finished reading "The Martian"

Read this last year, loved it! was on the edge of my seat the entire time..too bad I loathe what's his face, the actor, in the role..

the 24/7 blogging by Matt of his entire life and thoughts is trendy… the joke is that Matt Damon has been rescued like 8 times in several movies..including Interstellar, which came out last year.

so yes. the book is better

http://iaf.tv/2016/01/06/honest-trailer-the-martian/?_ga=1.27984500.992764230.1407047559

Watch this review…droll and snarky!
  • MsTK
    MsTK Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Finished the martian - now reading the opposite of loneliness which is a great book: short stories!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Lower River by Paul Theroux, which was really good. I've now started Saint Mazie by Janni Attenberg. It's too early to tell about this one yet.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Dawn. I've never read this thread before but I'm excited to see it. Always looking for newtitles and authors. Right now I'm reading The Millionaire an the Bard by Andrea Mays. Nonfiction. About an collector of Shakespeariana named Henry Folger. I usually enjoy biographies and memiors but this is off to a slow start. Withholding opinion for now.
  • diabeticdiva130
    diabeticdiva130 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Currently reading my life with Jacqueline Kennedy by Mary Gallagher
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading "Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson.
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    I'm so happy to see new posts on this thread. I do love books.

Recently read The Millionaire and the Bard. It has a slow first chapter or two but then it picked up and I really enjoyed it. It was an introduction to people I previously knew nothing about. I have requests into my library for a couple of Paul Theroux's travel memiors. And I will soon be reading Herman Wouk's The Lawgiver. I have high hopes for that one.

• Aedon2
    Aedon2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    I am currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morganster

I read this a couple of years ago. It was certainly engaging. Kept me thinking. I enjoyed it. But I must confess to being a little confused at the end. It must have been a little over my head
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading the sword of truth series, just started it.
    And i just read cecile en elsa (by Elisabeth Leijnse), it is a dutch history novel.

I seem to switch between fantasy, biography/history and romantic novels (guilty pleasure). It depends on my mood and energy i guess
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    Currently reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book 1 by Alexander McCall Smith.
    Very light reading. Set in Gaborone, Botswana. Enjoying it so far
  • aliceocean2
    aliceocean2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to dive back in A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Read it 3 times already, but I love going back to it once in a while.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and Tortuga by Rudolpho Anaya. Both very good so far. I'm starting my own kind of happiness project & its been very good for me. Tortuga, I love magical realism in Latin lit & this does not disappoint!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Kellibee, Tortuga is a book I'd like to read soon. Glad to hear that it's good.

I'm currently reading The Third Reich by Roberto Bolano. It's mysterious but I'm not sure yet where the story is going.
  • kellibee2000
    kellibee2000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @PaytraB It was on BookBub recently so I got it for a steal! I loved Bless Me, Ultima, & I'm glad I picked it up. ;)
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    Currently reading The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom. Pretty good writing and an interesting philosphy. Not that I agree one bit :D but an interesting perspective nontheless,
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Bindi… more amazing science fiction with so much heart you want to hug the protagonist. Can having the world's thickest dreadlocks brings two totally alien cultures together?

An African tribal girl whose people coat their bodies and hair with red clay goes off to space adventures because she is a math brainiac…and thru her compassion may save two planets from more war…so beautifully detailed culturally it could be 500BC, instead of 3900 AD/galactic period. LOVE LOVE LOVE the tenderness and warmth this character shows to another alien culture, looking like jellyfish…I am now reading another book of hers, she's an English professor in NY, Nnedi Okorafor American born, of Nigerian heritage. won many awards, Bindi is more YA, but I loved it as an adult reader.
  • wdnisbet
    Options
    Bindi sounds interesting. I'm going to check it out. I often enjoy books classed as YA. They have gratuitous violence messing up a good story.
  • BelladonnaWinter
    BelladonnaWinter Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Currently working my way through Writing 21st century fiction by Donald Maass