Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah: I think OA is a valid tool in the toolbox. Have gone on and off over the years. It can be soothing for the spirit and provides actual person to person support.
    I'm also struggling with sporadic. unpredictable eating at this time. Trying to keep my nose to the grindstone and start fresh everyday. I know whatever it is will pass and I will keto on. I'm facing new life challenges and taking risks and I'm not always aware of or good at handling the feelings that come up, so I figure if I just try to keep moving forward, eventually it will all settle into place and my eating habits will, too. Good luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I did OA, read the book, did the workbook, and did online meetings before I discovered this WOE. It was helpful for me to work on myself and my issues. But I didn't find the online meetings all that helpful, except that it helped me feel less alone. Had I had the guts to get a sponsor, I think I would have benefited much more. The book Beck Diet Solution was also very helpful to me in dealing with my relationship to food.

I still have binge eating tendencies, but using IF and lazy keto, I'm working on those.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    Ok Keto friends... I need help. I made a wonderful cream of veggie soup (smoothly blended with almond milk and coconut oil) topped with crumbled bacon. Then for dinner I made bone-in skin-on roasted chicken thighs and a garden salad with balsamic dressing.

Then, right before bed, I devoured half a pound of chocolate and one and a half cinnamon rolls.

My eating habits are clearly more related to my head than my stomach or tastebuds. A while back, a friend of mine told me about an over eaters anonymous group that follows the 12 step program used in AA. I'm kind of embarrassed about it but I'm running out of ideas...

Any thoughts on how I can get things under control and make Keto work for me?

@4031isaiah One thing that helped me clamp down on the sweets with/after every meal thing was some mid-day intermittent fasting. It was like it just broke a chain for me. Another thing was allowing myself to have barely sweetened tolerance tea after dinner, chew some barely tolerable mint gum, or brush my teeth. I also worked to drink a bunch of water, just not immediately after eating.

Or, I would allow myself something ON PLAN before bed. A square or 3 of super dark chocolate; a small cup of heavy cream with a drop or two of sweetener, sipped like wine, to seem more indulgence; ham/cheese/pickles.

Also, if I have a sweets craving, I try to load it up with salt, and then with fat, before I allow myself a minuscule portion of what I want. But if I"m dying for it, and nothing else sounds good or is worth eating - I know it isn't real hunger, and it's easier to fight (sometimes). You might be surprised how closely related sweet and salt cravings are in the brain and on the tongue. I just try to rewire my stress responses... Now my body craves bacon and pork rinds when I get stressed out! LOL

If you have the junk in the house for another person in the house, try to mentally designate it as NOT MINE. Think in gritty detail about you STEALING the item from that person, with full guilt, confession, etc., all of it. Get over the top with it. Revel in the pain and misery of it. If you can do that, and designate areas for that person's stuff, and work to eliminate it from your scope of vision. My guy has a designated shelf in the fridge, another in the pantry, and a table next to his spot on the couch. Most of the things in those spaces don't even register to me as food. It's been a long time to get to that point, but any time you can do this, I'd try...

And I'm sure it goes without saying that if those things are in the house for YOU and not for SOMEONE else, GET THEM GONE!!!!

Also, during the transition, find fat bombs, barely sweetened to tolerance, that you can have in place of the things you crave. I always say the best thing to do in that first 12 weeks is to find ways to force yourself to stay on track. AFTER that, you can adjust to lowering sweetener levels, switching to other foods, eating less than binge levels, etc. So yes, I advocate binging on LCHFMP foods, if you can stay away from the carbs. Otherwise, binging on both is SO not a good idea...

I KNOW, I KNOW - THIS IS SO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT MOST PEOPLE SUGGEST, BUT IF YOU'VE TRIED THAT, AND IT DID NOT WORK IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, THIS IS ANOTHER, LESS PALATABLE OPTION THAT MAY HELP. AND IF YOU'RE ANYTHING LIKE ME, WHEN YOU GET DESPERATE, YOU'LL TRY DAMNED NEAR ANYTHING, NO MATTER HOW UNCONVENTIONAL OR COUNTER-INTUITIVE IT SEEMS!!!

I still have problems with these things, too, but these are just a few of the tips/tricks I use on myself...
  • baconslave
    edited March 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Ok Keto friends... I need help. I made a wonderful cream of veggie soup (smoothly blended with almond milk and coconut oil) topped with crumbled bacon. Then for dinner I made bone-in skin-on roasted chicken thighs and a garden salad with balsamic dressing.

Then, right before bed, I devoured half a pound of chocolate and one and a half cinnamon rolls.

My eating habits are clearly more related to my head than my stomach or tastebuds. A while back, a friend of mine told me about an over eaters anonymous group that follows the 12 step program used in AA. I'm kind of embarrassed about it but I'm running out of ideas...

Any thoughts on how I can get things under control and make Keto work for me?

@4031isaiah One thing that helped me clamp down on the sweets with/after every meal thing was some mid-day intermittent fasting. It was like it just broke a chain for me. Another thing was allowing myself to have barely sweetened tolerance tea after dinner, chew some barely tolerable mint gum, or brush my teeth. I also worked to drink a bunch of water, just not immediately after eating.

Or, I would allow myself something ON PLAN before bed. A square or 3 of super dark chocolate; a small cup of heavy cream with a drop or two of sweetener, sipped like wine, to seem more indulgence; ham/cheese/pickles.

Also, if I have a sweets craving, I try to load it up with salt, and then with fat, before I allow myself a minuscule portion of what I want. But if I"m dying for it, and nothing else sounds good or is worth eating - I know it isn't real hunger, and it's easier to fight (sometimes). You might be surprised how closely related sweet and salt cravings are in the brain and on the tongue. I just try to rewire my stress responses... Now my body craves bacon and pork rinds when I get stressed out! LOL

If you have the junk in the house for another person in the house, try to mentally designate it as NOT MINE. Think in gritty detail about you STEALING the item from that person, with full guilt, confession, etc., all of it. Get over the top with it. Revel in the pain and misery of it. If you can do that, and designate areas for that person's stuff, and work to eliminate it from your scope of vision. My guy has a designated shelf in the fridge, another in the pantry, and a table next to his spot on the couch. Most of the things in those spaces don't even register to me as food. It's been a long time to get to that point, but any time you can do this, I'd try...

And I'm sure it goes without saying that if those things are in the house for YOU and not for SOMEONE else, GET THEM GONE!!!!

Also, during the transition, find fat bombs, barely sweetened to tolerance, that you can have in place of the things you crave. I always say the best thing to do in that first 12 weeks is to find ways to force yourself to stay on track. AFTER that, you can adjust to lowering sweetener levels, switching to other foods, eating less than binge levels, etc. So yes, I advocate binging on LCHFMP foods, if you can stay away from the carbs. Otherwise, binging on both is SO not a good idea...

I KNOW, I KNOW - THIS IS SO THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT MOST PEOPLE SUGGEST, BUT IF YOU'VE TRIED THAT, AND IT DID NOT WORK IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM, THIS IS ANOTHER, LESS PALATABLE OPTION THAT MAY HELP. AND IF YOU'RE ANYTHING LIKE ME, WHEN YOU GET DESPERATE, YOU'LL TRY DAMNED NEAR ANYTHING, NO MATTER HOW UNCONVENTIONAL OR COUNTER-INTUITIVE IT SEEMS!!!

I still have problems with these things, too, but these are just a few of the tips/tricks I use on myself...

Yes. I do that, too. I tell myself that the junk belongs to DH or the kids forcefully and felt guilty as all get out when I ate all the kids' treats when I used to do it pre-keto. It helps.

I have also used sweet fat bombs as a crutch as well. If you gotta have sweets, then have a keto-legal one at the ready.
    Sometimes just telling yourself you CAN have something, instead of "you can't" can help.
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Like @KnitOrMiss , I designate a box of carby-junk that's designated just for my kiddo's lunches. It's got his nuts, fruit cups, bread, and other kid-lunch stuff that I only buy once a week- so the're just barely enough to get 5 sack lunches out of it. If I take from that box, I'm taking from my kid. Before keto, I was misinterpreting my body's signals and I overate consistently. Mini ziplocs were my saving grace. Anything in a box or bag now gets repackaged into small portions.

OA may be a great start. I wish the best for you!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten into making fat bombs. Maybe that's something I will look into. Maybe a Keto-friendly sweet treat would have done the trick in a less destructive way.

What is your favourite fat bomb? I will need to find some good dairy-free options.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I have never gotten into making fat bombs. Maybe that's something I will look into. Maybe a Keto-friendly sweet treat would have done the trick in a less destructive way.

What is your favourite fat bomb? I will need to find some good dairy-free options.

All of mine include butter or cream cheese or both, but there are a ton with coconut oil... There are some with bacon and avocado (and/or eggs instead of bacon)... But generally, most of the ones out there are coconut oil/coconut milk based. Maybe google Paleo Fat Bombs?

www.healthfulpursuit.com is one of my favorite sites, and I know she's dairy free, so I imagine her Fat Bombs are too... I know her chocolate hemp shake is AWESOME. I use coconut oil or MCT instead of hemp oil because it's what I had on hand...
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    I do a coconut oil with cocoa powder and a smidge of stevia and cinnamon. It's quick and easy.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I do a coconut oil with cocoa powder and a smidge of stevia and cinnamon. It's quick and easy.

I'm trying to picture this. What are the portions?
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    I fill mini cupcake tin 1/3 full. It's all to taste, so I'm afraid I probably use different measurements each time. Here's a good recipe that's similar to what I do- I just leave out the peanut butter: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Howdy friends! Today is 5 weeks since I started Keto. I'm down about 8.5 lbs, and while that's not a huge amount, I'll take it! I have a super slow metabolism, am in menopause and have a history as a yoyo dieter.

I've been SO much more active these past 5 weeks! I'm still astounded at how constant my energy level is with this WOE. Outside of the goal to lose weight, I feel so much better eating this way.

Hope everyone is doing great! Almost the weekend.... Keto on!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kimbo8435 wrote: »
    I fill mini cupcake tin 1/3 full. It's all to taste, so I'm afraid I probably use different measurements each time. Here's a good recipe that's similar to what I do- I just leave out the peanut butter: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/

That recipe looks great! So, they have to stay frozen? I don't have solid coconut oil. Mine is cold compress but in liquid form.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    TGIF! Hope that everyone has a great weekend.
  • kimbo8435
    Options
    Yeah, they hafta live in the freezer, but they're still soft enough to eat straight out of the freezer. I've just been using the solid louanna coconut oil- melted then let cool. It's super quick.
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Howdy and happy Saturday. Today I am planting 18 trees in my yard. Well, me and a bunch of college student volunteers. We are also planting about 50-60 plants in my front garden beds. We built a new house last year and are just now doing the "pretty" stuff to the outside.

I love doing gardening! To me, it doesn't feel like a "workout" but it's a great calorie burner and muscle builder. I'm always totally achy the next day, LOL.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!
  • baconslave
    Options
    carsonheim wrote: »
    Howdy and happy Saturday. Today I am planting 18 trees in my yard. Well, me and a bunch of college student volunteers. We are also planting about 50-60 plants in my front garden beds. We built a new house last year and are just now doing the "pretty" stuff to the outside.

I love doing gardening! To me, it doesn't feel like a "workout" but it's a great calorie burner and muscle builder. I'm always totally achy the next day, LOL.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

That's the best kind of workout, one you forget is even exercise. Great weekend backatcha.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    One thing about getting a bad cold is you are forced to slow down and regroup. Well, all I can sincerely say, is: "Thanks body, I needed that." Hopefully, I can get back to basics now, with a streamlined plan, and new perspective. I can do this because I know what I need to do.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I wish this let me give you a thumbs up!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Finally managed to stay keto for a few days and dropped 4 lbs over the weekend. Happy Monday! Hope everyone has a great day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Finally managed to stay keto for a few days and dropped 4 lbs over the weekend. Happy Monday! Hope everyone has a great day.

High Five, @fvaisey! Or is that high four?!?! :) Now let's see if we can make that streak last longer this time. :)