Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W9D2 will be tomorrow morning for me. Cant wait to finish week 9 now, I never thought I'd actually be able to complete it haha!

Well done everyone, keep on keeping on! :smile:

You are doing great - almost done! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    @Aine8046 Great job! Very impressive! Good luck with your 10K training! Keep checking in!

@amber_beaney you are so close! Keep it up! You're right there!

@xLyric good job, and I'm all about the music, too!

So... I haven't checked in for a quite a while. I got very sick after my root canal last Tuesday. That Wednesday I got my W8D1 run in (30 mins), and it was downhill after that. Turns out I had another infection in there that flared up big time. By Thursday I was in so much pain I couldn't even think. By Friday I was home in bed with a fever, couldn't keep food down, hadn't slept in 3 days from the pain, etc. I lost 4 pounds from Thursday to Saturday. So, I needed some time to get my strength back and feel better.

Since it had been 9 days, I wasn't sure if I should back track or press on. I went for W8D2. What the heck? I was feeling okay, breathing was good, felt relatively strong considering, but I had to back off about 20 minutes in because my right hip (or the front side of my hip) became sore and painful to the point where my gait was starting to change (limp) so I just backed off, walked another 5 minutes to cool down, and called it a day. So I got 20 minutes in (about 2 miles). Not too bad for taking 9 days off and being sick.

I'll get back on it again on Sunday, do a lot of stretching, and try to knock out W8D2 again. I think I'll be okay in a few days, just needed to work back up to it.

Keep on keeping on, everyone!

Wow, get well! It's great you are back with us and it looks like you did not roll back much! Good luck with W8D2 tomorrow! I am looking forward to see your report! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    I'm doing C25K again. Put a bunch of weight back on after a hospitalization last summer and barely being able to walk for around 6 months after that. Doing weights now as well, mainly focusing on my arms right now.
    Week 2, day 3 this morning and I ran a few extra minutes at the end. I'm a slow runner as well.
    All treadmill runs. I walk the dog on trails by our house on off days too.

I walk the dog on trails too! It's a great exercise! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W3D3 done. This time I plan to progress to Week 4. The weather is looking good for about the next week (although it was a little chilly and windy today) and I don't think I have any life complications coming up that will interfere, either. So, I have no excuse to not go on to the next week.
    Keep it up! :)

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Calling yesterday W8D2, but I made it to 30 minutes again! Absolutely awful run though, I just could not catch my breath. Then my knees stiffened up strangely and my feet started tingling. What in the world does that even mean? Tingly feet during my walk today, too. Hope they don't fall off... :lol:

Tomorrow would be my last day, but I work all day so I'll be graduating on Monday (for 30 minute runs; no 5k yet! Too slow :neutral: ). I can't believe I didn't end up 'behind', I'm completely on schedule and shocked. The last time I tried C25K years ago I had to repeat week 1 several times and then gave up. Not that repeating weeks is bad, I'm just surprised I didn't need to after all!

Sister is stuck on W6 because of calf pain, so I'm trying to decide whether I should wait for her or continue to B210K... We're not doing the same thing afterwards, so I'm thinking I'll just continue.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing great.

Those who have been struggling with Breathing pattern/rhythm - the suggestion that I always give is "Slow Down and Relax" Your body will find a natural rhythm if you give it a chance. I never think about my breathing, if I feel like I am struggling ( Going to fast, Bad Day, Steep Terrain etc ) I just slowdown and let my body reset to it's natural rhythm.

Rather than worrying about getting so many Km's in a set amount of time - just run for the time goal for that day. If you feel that you need to repeat a day/week then repeat it. The ultimate goal of any runner is to stay injury free, and the best way to do that is to know when to pullback. If I am out on a run and feel something ( tight calf ) I slow down the pace and let the muscle warmup and stretch out at a very slow pace, if in a km its still tight I slow down a little more if it stays tight I drop into a walk and walk the rest of the planned distance.

@Aine8046 A little late but congratulations on your 5k race.
    You were looking for the B10k Group.
  • amber_beaney
    amber_beaney Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    W9D2 done yesterday, the wind was so strong against us the I ended up feeling like I wanted to stop from about half way, I didn't give up but my mind was screaming at me to! I felt a bit nauseous at the end too, I think the wind just made me push my body harder than normal. Anyway, one more day to go, woohoo!

Well done everyone :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    @xLyric good job! Im right there with you. Finished W8D2 today, too!

Went for 30 minutes instead of the 28 the program called for. I wanted that last .25 mile to get the actual 2.75 of running in. I felt great all through the run, but right after I got finished my calves really tightened up! I guess it was an electrolyte thing? Been stretching and downed some G2. Seems a bit better, but still sore/tight.

@amber_beaney congrats on your progress! One more day, right? For me my next run is for 30 minutes then graduate, so I guess I'll need to find a race! Good luck with your last run!

• Aine8046
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    Calling yesterday W8D2, but I made it to 30 minutes again! Absolutely awful run though, I just could not catch my breath. Then my knees stiffened up strangely and my feet started tingling. What in the world does that even mean? Tingly feet during my walk today, too. Hope they don't fall off... :lol:

Tomorrow would be my last day, but I work all day so I'll be graduating on Monday (for 30 minute runs; no 5k yet!

I am looking forward to say "congrats!" :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@Aine8046 A little late but congratulations on your 5k race.
    You were looking for the B10k Group.
    Thanks! And I saw joined the bridge group, but like this one more ! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W9D2 done yesterday, the wind was so strong against us the I ended up feeling like I wanted to stop from about half way, I didn't give up but my mind was screaming at me to! I felt a bit nauseous at the end too, I think the wind just made me push my body harder than normal. Anyway, one more day to go, woohoo!

Well done everyone :)

One more day, indeed! Unbeleivable! Remember how you started? ;)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    For me my next run is for 30 minutes then graduate, so I guess I'll need to find a race! Good luck with your last run!

You are almost there, just a little bot more! :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    W1D3 is done! Ready for week 2 :)
  • briscogun
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    W1D3 is done! Ready for week 2 :)

Nice! Way to go! Keep it up @Aine8046!
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm having a go at restating again. I always start with great intentions, plan when I'm going to go when... and then I let life get in the way :(

So yesterday was Week 1 Day 1 for me. Felt okay. No soreness or anything. Just the mental struggle of 'I don't want to do this'. I felt happy with my pace in the run (read: jog) intervals. Obvs I would love to go faster, but I still managed to complete 2.98km in the 30min.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    W4D1 done! The distance for Week 4 is a lot more than the distance for week 3 and my slow pace is really showing now. What takes 21 minutes doing the timed C25k took me 30 minutes doing it by distance. But I didn't fall back to walking when I was supposed to be running, even up the steep hill. I am happy knowing that by the time I finish the program I'll really be running 5k, even if it takes me a while.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    W8D3 done, which means C25K DONE! I use the Zenlabs app, which lets you do timed or distance, so even though I'm not quite doing 5ks yet, I can do 30 minutes, and I'm calling that a success. I'm going to stay at 30 for another week or two before moving on to the Bridge program, because I don't think I would survive going straight on, haha.

I honestly didn't think I'd run at all today, I was so exhausted all day despite getting a good amount of sleep I figured I'd just walk, but I tried anyway, and this run was actually pretty good until the last 6ish minutes. Towards the end I started to get breathless and a bit nauseated, and I think I may have been overheating a bit or something. It wasn't so bad I needed to stop, though, so I pushed through and finished. Thought I might pass out once I started cooldown, though, and then very nearly did throw up on the way back to my apartment. I have no idea what was going on. The nausea stuck around until a couple of hours ago (long past the run). I didn't increase my speed or anything. I think I may be getting sick. Bleh.

Congrats if you got through that gross novel, :lol: .
  • briscogun
    Options
    @SunnyDuckling nice job re-starting! Remember: its not how many times you fall, its how many times you get back up again! Just keep moving...

@NancyN795 I know how you feel. I think Week 5 was the "Uh-Oh" week for me. I will tell you one secret: DON'T LOOK AHEAD! It was so much easier to just show up and have no clue what I was supposed to run. Just do it!

@xLyric you and me both! I just finished this morning, too! I'm not quite running the full 5K distance (3.1 miles), but I've got the 30 minutes thing down pretty good. I had a horrible nights sleep last night, so I think that really affected my running. With about 7-8 minutes left I had to slow down and take it easy, was starting to feel it in my stomach. I fired it back up with about 6 minutes left and knocked it out. Wasn't my best run ever, but I got through it. Now I will focus on my distance more than my time and try to get the full 5K in.

Just need to find me a 5K to run in soon and I'll be golden!

• Aine8046
    Options
    I'm having a go at restating again. I always start with great intentions, plan when I'm going to go when... and then I let life get in the way :(

So yesterday was Week 1 Day 1 for me. Felt okay. No soreness or anything. Just the mental struggle of 'I don't want to do this'. I felt happy with my pace in the run (read: jog) intervals. Obvs I would love to go faster, but I still managed to complete 2.98km in the 30min.

Welcome and good luck!
  • Aine8046
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    W4D1 done! The distance for Week 4 is a lot more than the distance for week 3 and my slow pace is really showing now. What takes 21 minutes doing the timed C25k took me 30 minutes doing it by distance. But I didn't fall back to walking when I was supposed to be running, even up the steep hill. I am happy knowing that by the time I finish the program I'll really be running 5k, even if it takes me a while.

Congrats on moving onto week 4! Keep it up!