• ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of week 1 finished!
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »
    It's great to pop in here and see new faces! Way to get out there!
    dxokrykse3bw.gif

I'm glad to be here! Thanks!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ran/walked full 5k yesterday for the first time. Took me 53 minutes. Lots of room to improve but I'm getting there. Rest day today. Tomorrow is W5D1.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    drdwngfan wrote: »
    Finished C25k !!! I did a 5k distance last Sunday in 46:00. I am going to start my B210K training now as I prepare for my upcoming 5k race on March 1st.

Yay!
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    W5D2 completed yesterday, now onto D3! I'm not worried, though because I've been running 30 minutes straight the last week or so. I have two months before my first 5k and I'm feeling really good about where I am now. I can run 2.25 miles non-stop. I am going to work on feeling more comfortable with that distance and then slowly tack on a quarter mile until I hit the 3 mile mark. I'm starting to think that I can totally do this!!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Finished w3d2 yesterday, definitely have to work on my cardio. I was able to finish it at my pace of 5.0 which is the minimum I have been running. Day 3 tomorrow and I hope to see some improvements before week 4.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ErinK09 wrote: »
    I started the first day yesterday. I love that the app prompts you when to walk and run

This is the only thing that is "saving" me ~laughs~. I seriously wouldn't know how/when to do it without the prompts. Seriously, I'm having to learn how to run all over again...which, while sad, is a good thing that it's so gentle (compared to Basic Training in the AF.) :)
    myfreeacct wrote: »
    wk1d1 OMG I totally did it!

Atta YOU! Keep up the good work!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    madmags wrote: »
    Finished w3d2 yesterday, definitely have to work on my cardio. I was able to finish it at my pace of 5.0 which is the minimum I have been running. Day 3 tomorrow and I hope to see some improvements before week 4.

Wow 5.0 is fast compared to my turtle pace! I started at 3.2 and have worked it up to 4.2 over the 5 weeks I've been running. Nice work!
  • madmags
    Options
    Diana
    It might be why I am finding it a lot harder, but I set it as my goal to stay at that pace and work through the program. If I have to repeat days, I will until I get it. :p
  • mjc1409
    mjc1409 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I finished week 1! Excited to get started on week 2.
  • veritas1201
    veritas1201 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feeling great here on day 2 of week 2! Trying desperately to avoid shin splints, so today I increased both my paces and am happy I still feel good. Using yoga to help stretch out (My favorite sequence so far is here, check it out!). I'm also alternating sneakers to keep up the variety and making sure that my pace is quicker and my strides are shorter, which makes the biggest difference during the workout.

Any other tips or tricks you've found to be useful in warding off shin splints?
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 7. Considering options for what direction to take afterwards. There is no way I'm running fast enough to actually finish a 5K in 30 minutes. But I would like to get to that point where I can run the entire thing. I'm considering taking a few weeks/couple of months to work up to that… to where I can run the full 3.1 miles. Then starting the 10K plan. Thoughts? Good idea or should I just go straight into 10K?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Wow 5.0 is fast compared to my turtle pace! I started at 3.2 and have worked it up to 4.2 over the 5 weeks I've been running. Nice work!

Is that a dreadmill setting or a pace?

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I'm considering taking a few weeks/couple of months to work up to that… to where I can run the full 3.1 miles. Then starting the 10K plan. Thoughts? Good idea or should I just go straight into 10K?

I used the NHS C25K+ podcasts for a month or so after finishing C25K; three 30-40 minute sessions working on cadence with a fast intervals set, a pyramid set and a pace progression. I then moved on to the Zen Labs Bridge to 10K series.

What I found with the B210K is that the walk beaks had become disruptive to me, so after 4 weeks of that I used an Endomondo 10K improvement plan.

I finished C25K doing a 34 min 5K, by the time I'd finished the 10K improvement plan I was able to do a 27min 5K, then in half marathon training that came down to 24 min.

Speed comes with time on your feet, so working up to an hour at a time will pay dividends.

I now find that half an hour is a frustrating length of time, not long enough to get a good session from.
  • madmags
    Options

It is a treadmill pace of 5.0. I do not get out of work until after dark and most nights here it is single digits or below and roads are snowcovered with no shoulder. So treadmill is where it has to be for now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

It is a treadmill pace of 5.0. I do not get out of work until after dark and most nights here it is single digits or below and roads are snowcovered with no shoulder. So treadmill is where it has to be for now.

Cool. Just wanted to understand if it was arbitrary or specific.

I was generally average about 12 min/ mile when I was on C25K, running at 10, walking at 13.

Nowadays on a long run I'll do about 9:30 min/ mile but the pace will vary around that depending on the terrain. For short runs it's frequently faster, but different sessions have different purposes. Of course the dreadmill makes pace maintenance easier, but if it's working for you then no need to change. If you find yourself struggling then ease back slightly.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    Treadmill for me for now too. Too dark, cold, snow covered sidewalks, etc. for me right now. But I'm anxious to try outside. How do you keep your pace outside? I'm a little afraid of going too slow or too fast. Steady beat music? Or do you just go with whatever feels right???

• MeanderingMammal
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just go with the flow. Just did a 10K easy paced session tonight and it was a bit up and down in terms of pace. Beautiful night though, clear, cold and the stars out.

In terms of learning cadence, it does help to listen to music that has an appropriate cadence. Try for something that gets you up towards 180bpm. I tend to run at about 160 but could do with getting a bit higher. That leads to less ground contact time and a lighter step as well.

If you use a phone based tracking app it'll give you prompts on pace at whether intervals you put in; Endomondo and Runkeeper certainly do this. Also it's useful once you have some history you can take a look at what your paces were when you were out.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not working on c25k yet, but I signed up for a 5k in June, so I walked 3 miles yesterday, at just under an hour. I've been walking 3 miles 2x a week for the last 4 weeks. I only missed one day because of a family event. Next week I'm going to start the c25k. I'm only going to be doing it 2x a week instead of 3x because of school/work restrictions, so the program will take me 12 weeks instead of 8. I'm also doing strength training 2x a week, and biking on the days that I lift weights to help cross train for running. The reason I haven't started c25k is that I just began biking and weights too, and I didn't want to start too many new things all at once. I've been walking for a while, but much shorter distances. I began biking about 4 weeks ago, strength training 2 weeks ago, and will start running the c25k next week, so that I'm staggering new programs and not overwhelming myself
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Completed w5d3 today no problemo. This is the fourth run in a row where I have ran 2.25 miles. That takes me about 33 minutes. I would say that today was the hardest run so far. I really had to push myself to get to 2.25 miles. After that, I walked for three minutes, ran until I hit three miles and then walked five minutes for a cooldown. I always feel so accomplished after completing a run!