• ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Day 3 week 1 complete.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    drdwngfan wrote: »
    Finished C25k !!! I did a 5k distance last Sunday in 46:00. I am going to start my B210K training now as I prepare for my upcoming 5k race on March 1st.

Yay! Congratulations!!!

• IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Week 7 Day 1 today. My app is a timed version, and according to the app I managed 2.1 miles in the 25 minutes I was allotted to jog. I did the 5 minute walk after that (I needed it!), and then alternated walk/jogs to the end of the 5K. Gonna keep plugging along. My first 5K is March 8!
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I almost completed W1D3 today and then I was "reminded" that my shoulders aren't exactly "abled". I will have to go back to walking until I can find a way to stabilize the issue. Everyone keep on rocking with their awesome selves!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Treadmill for me for now too. Too dark, cold, snow covered sidewalks, etc. for me right now. But I'm anxious to try outside. How do you keep your pace outside? I'm a little afraid of going too slow or too fast. Steady beat music? Or do you just go with whatever feels right???
    Undoubtedly, you will start out too fast (at least I always seem to!) Just take it easy.
    I just go with the flow. Just did a 10K easy paced session tonight and it was a bit up and down in terms of pace. Beautiful night though, clear, cold and the stars out.

In terms of learning cadence, it does help to listen to music that has an appropriate cadence. Try for something that gets you up towards 180bpm. I tend to run at about 160 but could do with getting a bit higher. That leads to less ground contact time and a lighter step as well.

If you use a phone based tracking app it'll give you prompts on pace at whether intervals you put in; Endomondo and Runkeeper certainly do this. Also it's useful once you have some history you can take a look at what your paces were when you were out.
    I use Rundouble and Strava for running, both can be set to give interval announcements. You can get the cadence for most songs on jog.fm.
    I'm not working on c25k yet, but I signed up for a 5k in June, so I walked 3 miles yesterday, at just under an hour. I've been walking 3 miles 2x a week for the last 4 weeks. I only missed one day because of a family event. Next week I'm going to start the c25k. I'm only going to be doing it 2x a week instead of 3x because of school/work restrictions, so the program will take me 12 weeks instead of 8. I'm also doing strength training 2x a week, and biking on the days that I lift weights to help cross train for running. The reason I haven't started c25k is that I just began biking and weights too, and I didn't want to start too many new things all at once. I've been walking for a while, but much shorter distances. I began biking about 4 weeks ago, strength training 2 weeks ago, and will start running the c25k next week, so that I'm staggering new programs and not overwhelming myself
    Since you are already walking 3 miles in an hour, you should be able to do c25k without issues. Just remember to slow down!

• lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I did Day 3 Week 5, and made it the whole 20 minutes without having to slow down or stop! I honestly can't believe it, I've never come close to running that long before. The last 5 minutes were very tough, but I pushed through and feel so accomplished! Now the 25 and 30 minute runs coming up don't seem nearly as scary.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I finished week 3 day 3 last night. Was a bit winded, but felt better than the day one and two. I am a little anxious about jumping up to five minute runs, but I guess it is all about baby steps forward.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I did Day 3 Week 5, and made it the whole 20 minutes without having to slow down or stop! I honestly can't believe it, I've never come close to running that long before. The last 5 minutes were very tough, but I pushed through and feel so accomplished! Now the 25 and 30 minute runs coming up don't seem nearly as scary.
    2ei4eovgn7pp.gif YAY!
    madmags wrote: »
    I finished week 3 day 3 last night. Was a bit winded, but felt better than the day one and two. I am a little anxious about jumping up to five minute runs, but I guess it is all about baby steps forward.
    Just remember to slow down if you need to. It's definitely a mind game from here on out. Your body is ready to do 5 minutes. You just have to convince your mind of that!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Did w1d1 today. After starting the program a couple times and always failing out at week 1 or 2, I would say this is the easiest w1d1 I've ever had. I think it really helped that for the last four weeks I've been walking for 3 miles. I did 3 miles today too. The first 1.5-1.75 miles were c25k, and the remaining 1.5-1.25 miles I walked for 4:30 and did short runs for 30 secs. The second half, I definitely felt much heavier, my feet were hitting the ground much harder during the short runs. I had a bad moment in the beginning when I was getting to the steepest part of my run, but overall when I finished the c25k I felt pretty good. My average pace was 3.5 mph today, and my average pace over the last few weeks has been about 3.1-3.3 mph, so it was a touch faster, but not too bad.
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Did w1d1 today. After starting the program a couple times and always failing out at week 1 or 2, I would say this is the easiest w1d1 I've ever had. I think it really helped that for the last four weeks I've been walking for 3 miles. I did 3 miles today too. The first 1.5-1.75 miles were c25k, and the remaining 1.5-1.25 miles I walked for 4:30 and did short runs for 30 secs. The second half, I definitely felt much heavier, my feet were hitting the ground much harder during the short runs. I had a bad moment in the beginning when I was getting to the steepest part of my run, but overall when I finished the c25k I felt pretty good. My average pace was 3.5 mph today, and my average pace over the last few weeks has been about 3.1-3.3 mph, so it was a touch faster, but not too bad.

Good job! I agree with the walking thing and I wish I'd gotten up to 3 miles before I crossed over to doing the C25k. An injury has sidelined me from starting Week 2, so when I'm healed-up, I think I'll follow your lead and start back with walking the 3 miles first and then transition over to C25k, to keep from reinjuring. Here's to your continued success! :)
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    W5D2 on Saturday and felt strong. W5D3 tonight - yep that's the 20 minute! GULP!!!!!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!! W5D3 at 4mph. I thought about slowing down about the 18minute mark but kept pushing on. This is working!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!! W5D3 at 4mph. I thought about slowing down about the 18minute mark but kept pushing on. This is working!

49ov7vv6kjn2.gif
  • squaregum
    squaregum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All my life I have hated running, I used to say (and I still do) I would only run after a tennis ball, only If I was playing (I am not a dog).
    But last Feb 6th I started this program, next day my legs were so sore..., I was so tired, I have to add here that I added a couple of more minutes.
    I have kept going at it. Today I started week 3 and I was scared as *kitten* to run full 3 minutes!!! But not only did I did it 2 times, but I extended it to 3 times and 1 more time of 120 seconds, for a total of 5 more minutes!!!
    I don't care if I run 2, 5, 8 miles. I dont care about the mileage, I want to run at least 20 minutes straight!!
    I still have a long way to run but, I am proud of my self!!!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    edited February 2015
    Options
    W1D2 complete! It was a little harder than the first day, but I also went a little faster. And for the first time I had negative splits! The first part of my walk was the c25k, while the second half was my 30sec/4:30min run/walk intervals.

3.19 miles @ 52:58min, 3.6mph
    Mile 1 17:20, 3.4mph
    Mile 2 16:24, 3.7mph
    Mile 3 15:52, 3.8mph
    .19 mile 3:21, 3.5mph (cool down... doesn't count against my negative splits, right?)

I'm way excited about this because it's a new PR for that particular route, and also because I had a super crappy workout yesterday, so I really needed the pick-me-up that this was.

Admittedly it's not hard to get negative splits because my route is a 3 mile loop with mild elevation (149 feet between lowest and highest points) and my starting/ending point is at the lowest point. So it's slow starting because it's uphill, and faster toward the end because I can take advantage of some nice downhills.

But STILL--! It's a nice feeling today. :smiley:

Edit: I forgot to add, that I did have one issue today with running, and that was with my headphones. I use headphones with the soft rubber that completely fills your ears. It's great for blocking traffic sounds (I run next to a couple very busy streets for over half my route), but every time the cords touch anything it sounds like someone tapping a stethoscope. So as I'm walking/running, almost every step causes that kind of noise, and it's very annoying. It's the main reason I dislike running with headphones (but I'm using them now so I can hear the prompts without blasting the volume so people in nearby cars hear them too).

Does anyone have experience with this and know how to fix it, or can recommend different headphones to use?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
  • EricMSCV
    EricMSCV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, these have been the best headphones/earbuds for active use...

http://www.yurbuds.com/en/18earphones#/categories-in_the_ear
  • EricMSCV
    EricMSCV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For those that are making progress....stay with it! Almost 15 years ago I went from couch potato to marathon man. Basically starting over again. A little older (O.K., maybe more than a little) and a little heavier (again, maybe more than a little). But a program like this will work. Avoid the temptation to overdue it. Injuries are common and can be the biggest setback.

Postponed my W2D1 workout because of a cold. Hopefully tonight.

This is a little blurb on my Marathon experience.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'COUCH+POTATO'+NOW+A+MARATHON+MAN.-a083396211
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    Options
    W6D1 today. Still inside on treadmill as it is -20 windchills!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Options
    Rest day. Best. Workout. Ever. ;)