Did you swim today?

1181182184186187354

Replies

  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Regular 1.5 miles in 72 minutes today. Tomorrow get to flail as a victim for a lifeguard class!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Regular 1.5 miles in 72 minutes today. Tomorrow get to flail as a victim for a lifeguard class!

    Always a good time!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,007 Member
    It was one of those days where the paddling just wasn't working.
    Pool way to warm, only one double lane open and nothing seemed to work to get me in the groove. Gave up after 30 minutes of trying different drills / strokes / kicks. Nothing - NADA could get me in the groove. Did the only sensible thing - went home sat on the deck in the evening sun and had a Brewski.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    It was one of those days where the paddling just wasn't working.
    Pool way to warm, only one double lane open and nothing seemed to work to get me in the groove. Gave up after 30 minutes of trying different drills / strokes / kicks. Nothing - NADA could get me in the groove. Did the only sensible thing - went home sat on the deck in the evening sun and had a Brewski.

    Truly the only sensible solution.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Had to take a rest day today. Couldn't keep my eyes open when I got back from the office. Feel asleep for almost 2 hours. Sometimes my body does what it needs even when my mind days he'll no I want to swim.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    I did, 2400 yards in an 60 minutes
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    2700 in 72 minutes-- including 4 lengths of butterfly.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited May 2016
    Laps today, lost count of course, but hey I'm still a beginner. Some crawl stroke, some back stroke (roughly 10 laps each) and lots of kicking laps (all types). Neeed kicking endurance...

    I'm making lots of progress in getting my kicks to actually propel me, and in getting water in my mouth, not swallowing it, breathing past the water and continuing on. :smiley:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    2000y 54:31
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Laps today, lost count of course, but hey I'm still a beginner. Some crawl stroke, some back stroke (roughly 10 laps each) and lots of kicking laps (all types). Neeed kicking endurance...

    I'm making lots of progress in getting my kicks to actually propel me, and in getting water in my mouth, not swallowing it, breathing past the water and continuing on. :smiley:

    Something to look at when you are breathing to the side, is where are you looking? Generally your eyes, if looking straight out, should be looking at the side or even a bit behind you. This way when your head is turned your head creates a break for the water, so you don't get it in your mouth. Hopefully that helps.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member

    Something to look at when you are breathing to the side, is where are you looking? Generally your eyes, if looking straight out, should be looking at the side or even a bit behind you. This way when your head is turned your head creates a break for the water, so you don't get it in your mouth. Hopefully that helps.

    I'll check that in the morning; thanks!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,007 Member
    This swimming group is like the running group - lots of support and guidance from other swimmers. We have all had our struggles with different parts of our strokes so understand / appreciate when we get little suggestions from others :) .
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    Laps today, lost count of course, but hey I'm still a beginner. Some crawl stroke, some back stroke (roughly 10 laps each) and lots of kicking laps (all types). Neeed kicking endurance...

    I'm making lots of progress in getting my kicks to actually propel me, and in getting water in my mouth, not swallowing it, breathing past the water and continuing on. :smiley:

    Repetition.
    Timing is key and that too comes from practice.
    I went through it again, learning to do bilateral breathing. Felt like my head just didn't want to turn the other way. But now it feels natural.
    Never give Up. Never Surrender! :D
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Hated tonight's session - boring! Was glad I had to get out early to get to a meeting lol.

    1900m

    1000 warmup (!!!) as 200 free 100 kick 200 free 100 kick 400 free

    4x 100 as 25 free 12.5 run 12.5 br 25 dolphin 25 free

    100 free as 1.22 split 41/41 (pacing test)

    400 free negative split

    I happily got out at this point!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    3rd day in a row, but a little short today because I had to play struggle-puppy for a lifeguarding class. Even 2K in just 50 minutes
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I found out from another swimmer that the pool here is indeed not a true 25M length. I suspected as much. I didn't think coming to China suddenly made me 10% faster.
    I told him they must Haase used a yard stick rather than a meter stick.
    And this was a rare fast swimmer here.
    It was funny because when I saw him getting ready to get in I thought he looks fast. But many tru to look fast them get in and do a show breast stroke.
    I could even try to keep up with him.
    Anyway. I will adjust the distance I retort here accordingly.
    4 miles yesterday. That is about 6.4km.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    I'm trying to screw up the courage to go to the early morning lap swim; so far I've been sticking to the adult/senior swim where there's more accommodation for those of us just finding our way...but if I can make the 6am swim work, I could swim twice, some days...at least right now, while I'm underemployed...and I could progress faster. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, tomorrow. Worst case scenario, it doesn't go that great, and I go back at noon anyway, and try again in a couple more weeks. Still, I'm a bit of a coward. Harumpf.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited May 2016
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I'm trying to screw up the courage to go to the early morning lap swim; so far I've been sticking to the adult/senior swim where there's more accommodation for those of us just finding our way...but if I can make the 6am swim work, I could swim twice, some days...at least right now, while I'm underemployed...and I could progress faster. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, tomorrow. Worst case scenario, it doesn't go that great, and I go back at noon anyway, and try again in a couple more weeks. Still, I'm a bit of a coward. Harumpf.

    When I'm home I am up at 4:20. In the pool when the Y opens at 5AM. Finish around 7:15 to 7:20. At the office before 8. To me that is the best way to start my day.

    Love the Blazing Saddles reference. That movie would not be allowed in any theater now. And it is probably considered a hate crime on most US college campuses to even possess a copy.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I'm trying to screw up the courage to go to the early morning lap swim; so far I've been sticking to the adult/senior swim where there's more accommodation for those of us just finding our way...but if I can make the 6am swim work, I could swim twice, some days...at least right now, while I'm underemployed...and I could progress faster. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, tomorrow. Worst case scenario, it doesn't go that great, and I go back at noon anyway, and try again in a couple more weeks. Still, I'm a bit of a coward. Harumpf.

    When I'm home I am up at 4:20. In the pool when the Y opens at 5AM. Finish around 7:15 to 7:20. At the office before 8. To me that is the best way to start my day.

    Love the Blazing Saddles reference. That movie would not be allowed in any theater now. And it is probably considered a hate crime on most US college campuses to even possess a copy.

    Hahah I made a Blazing Saddles reference? I haven't seen that since I was college age. :blush:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I'm trying to screw up the courage to go to the early morning lap swim; so far I've been sticking to the adult/senior swim where there's more accommodation for those of us just finding our way...but if I can make the 6am swim work, I could swim twice, some days...at least right now, while I'm underemployed...and I could progress faster. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, tomorrow. Worst case scenario, it doesn't go that great, and I go back at noon anyway, and try again in a couple more weeks. Still, I'm a bit of a coward. Harumpf.

    When I'm home I am up at 4:20. In the pool when the Y opens at 5AM. Finish around 7:15 to 7:20. At the office before 8. To me that is the best way to start my day.

    Love the Blazing Saddles reference. That movie would not be allowed in any theater now. And it is probably considered a hate crime on most US college campuses to even possess a copy.

    Hahah I made a Blazing Saddles reference? I haven't seen that since I was college age. :blush:

    Harumph! I didn't get a Harumph from you on the end.