Failure is not an option

Options

Replies

• LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    That color looks great on you. I'm so sorry that you're having so much pain especially since you're trying so hard. Sending hugs!!!
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Day of rest today. Hideous food choices which im sure will reflect on the scales tomorrow but hey what's done is done. For me tomorrow is the start of my fitness challenge and after having a severe talking to myself about this little pity party I have been having, I am ready to give it a red hot go. For now I will work within my means and as the injury improves I will stretch myself. Tomorrow is the fitness test and then showing me a few things in my program im not sure of and then i'm starting say one over again with cardio and arms. I'm thinking i could go close to 2 hrs at the gym tomorrow. Remembering that sweat is fat crying. I'm back on point with my meals. I have a weeks worth (and probably a bit more) prepared and will be eating lean and clean.

I finally got around to buying my 2nd kettlebell and two hand weights today. the kettlebells are 8kg and the hand weights are 4kg. I can do stuff in my office now of a night but this time I will remember to warm up first, stretch and stick to low impact exercises. Its all about learning and making wise choices.

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend doing what you love with those you love.
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    "Sweat is fat crying" Is literally my new motto in life!

Good luck today at the test, make sure to post about it.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    The test went well. It wasn't very involved at all
    300m Treadmill
    20 squats
    20 pull ups on TRX
    200m Row
    Time for week 1 was 7mins

Slower time mostly because I couldn't stride it out on the treadmill. Everything else was not a problem. I will smash that by week 6

After that I did my day 1 program of cardio and arms. It hurt so good. My arms were jelly afterwards and I must remember not to wear a white singlet to the gym unless I want to star in my very own wet t shirt competition. I got quite sweaty and white becomes see through :blush: So 90 mins all up in the gym yesterday, I was really pleased. Today is a shorter functional day but I have also just finished 30 mins doing a bit of a workout and getting sweaty between calls at work.

I lost 1.2kg (2.7) pounds this week which i'm really stoked about, especially given my wayward eating the last few days.
    And just for you @50extra I have included an image

gbjx45fjpkbr.jpg
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I had my first PT session today. I was so scared about going and nearly backed out a few times. Cardio is not my thing and I get scared of getting out of my depth. However true to her word my trainer tailored the session to my needs. We started out with 400m fast row then 40 battle ropes with both arms, then 300m fast row and 30 battle ropes and lastly 200m fast row and 20 battle ropes. We moved onto some boxing which was awesome and did this for about 10 mins. THen some boxing combined with run (in my case walk) to other end of area and 5 leg extrensions and repeated this for 5 mins. We were going to finish off with some ball slams and battle rope but my "good" leg decided to get all tight and sore on me and I couldn't finish for fear of tearing it again. We were both really bummed. But I was really happy with what I did and the effort I put in. I came home and iced by "good" leg and let it rest for a bit. I will be speaking to the physio tomorrow about it. The last thing i need is for both legs to go out on me.
    Tomorrow is a rest day. As much as I want to really get into it all I have to be smart about it and give my body time to heal.

I've put a photo up (please excuse the hairy legs. its winter here and no need to shave.....lol) This is the back of my knee 1 week post tearing my calf and hamstring. There is some lovely colouring in it I think. I did a good job this time.

lb5t54lo5751.jpg
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Had a bit of a further scare this week which did my head in a little bit. I mentioned my "good" leg being sore after my PT. He had a feel around and then said he was reluctant to touch it because he felt I may have a DVT (Blood Clot). It wasn't behaving typically like a DVT but had some characteristics. This did my head in a bit as my mother had a 40+ year history of blood clots and Pulmonary Emboli (Blood clots in the lung) and was quite sick with it. A DVT is quite serious and whilke i'm too much of a nurse to be too worried by it, all I could think of was that would be the end of my training and I would be fat forever. I got a little depressed and comforted myself with coke and chocolate. I cave in to my head hunger so easily. This is something i really need to work on. Sometimes I can be mentally tough but when it comes to food i'm a big marshmellow. Anyway I went to the doctor the next day and after a thorough examination i do not have a DVT. It's more likely i have given it a bit of a strain. It definitely settled down with a couple of days rest and I went back to the gym today

I had a good session with a functional day consisting of

Part 1)
    400m fast row
    10 ball slams
    As Many Reps as Possible (AMRAP) in 12 mins

Part 2)
    12 Kettlebell swings
    9 pushups
    AMRAP 10mins

I thought this was going to absolutely kill me but it seems I have a little bit more fitness than i give myself credit for. While I did find it challenging I certainly wasn't falling all over the place with fatigue. Kept my heart rate up at a healthy 145-150 and got very very sweaty. If it wasn't for the fact that I was a bit pushed for time I would have probably done some more.

Anyway how is everyone going? It's been pretty quiet around town lately. I hope everyone is well
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Leaving this here for future reference. Some really good info here. @50extra having read what you have said and now doing a bit more reading I am thinking of changing up my training. I have emailed my trainer to see what she says
    https://gymjunkies.com/cardio-after-lifting-or-before/
  • 50extra
    Options
    Hey Kell I'm vey happy to read that you don't have an underlying medical condition that's hurting your legs. That's great news. I had a read over that article and it pretty much explains what I thought to be truth. I always thought that if a person was going for muscle and strength growth the cardio is to be done afterwards and on heavy lifting days it's supposed to be light cardio just to get a couple calories burnt. My personal goal is to lift three days a week and cardio on two or three of the off days.

FYI I think the white shirt would have been fairly entertaining to see!
  • Quzzdragon12
    Quzzdragon12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow, great posts while I was away and great progress! Glad to hear that your legs are holding up and your trainer is taking good care of you. Fantastic progress pick! Keep it up!!! :D
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I'm glad everything turned out okay and you got a good session in!
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I have had a huge couple of days at the gym. On Monday I wasn't going to go cause I went to the gym on Sunday but I got woken from a nap by a salesman on the phone and was in a bad mood so decided to go and work it off. Well it was leg day on my program and I decided after a lot of reading and talking to my trainer that I would do weights first and then cardio. So I smashed out a massive leg workout crushing a number of PBs along the way. To the point I was so spent that I couldn't do my cardio. I got off the last machine and my legs were so done I actually had to hold onto something to hold me up for a minute or so. I have never worked that hard before. I've posted a funny pic of me on the leg extension machine pushing out 9kg reps.

Today was my 2nd PT session as part of the fitness challenge and OMG my trainer punished me. I did 30 mins of full on HIIT. I got my Heart rate up to 92% (162) of its maximum (177). At the end I was cactus. I don't think i've ever sucked the oxygen in so hard as I did today. THey say sweat is fat crying. well the fat in my body had a complete meltdown. I was soaked (no wet tshirt comps either @50extra ). I was so pleased with my effort today. I've had a high from it that has seen me right through dinner and into work. Normally I have a sleep before work after dinner but tonight i'm too buzzed.

So at this moment my body really hates me. My legs are sore, my back is sore, my arms are weary, but it is the best sore I have ever felt. I'm chugging down the water to flush out the lactic acid and my eating schedule is getting pretty on track again. Oh and just as a side interest. I weighed myself Monday and I was 110.2kg (243lb) then i did the leg day. I weight myself today, same clothes, same time, same place and was 108.9kg (240lb). I find when i have really good weights day, the after burn i get is massive and that's when i notice my biggest weight changes.

Having a body comp scan and 3D scan next week. I'm really hoping that I am back on track to putting on more muscle.

ch3ladb6d8x2.jpg

This pic below is my new piece of equipment in the war against tearing my calf muscles. Sports compression socks. They may not be the sexiest things in the world but if they stop my muscles from tearing, I'll wear them anywhere

u066f3ucyd4c.jpg

• Kell2912
    Options
    Do you ever have those days where you just don't want to? I had one of them today. I woke from my post night duty sleep early to let in my cleaner and she never came. This put me in a grumpy mood to start with. I waited for her for over an hour and no show and while I was waiting i went through the stages of exercise bargaining. First it was I don't think i'll train today, then it was maybe i'll just go for a walk. I was looking at Facebook as I was doing this and came across a post from my trainer about how well all of us in the fitness challenge were doing and so i thought "well damn now I have to go to the gym I can't let her down!" Got my butt in gear and went down. Warmed up ok then started my functional training. Was so not into it and kept thinking i'm just going to do a short session today. Then something happened. I got into my routine and before I knew it i was smashing out PB's all over the place and had done my 25mins. I felt so good afterwards and was really happy with myself that i overcame the head talk to do a really good session.

I am also fighting the head hunger demons. Normally I can squash them down pretty good but the last couple of weeks I am craving junk food really bad. It is taking a lot of work to resist and a couple of times I have caved because it got so strong. This week has been a good week I have managed to resist for most of the week. I am having Chinese tomorrow night (with a lot of water to counteract the salt) and hoping that with satisfy my cravings. I really want to show a good loss at the scan on Wednesday.

Tomorrow is arms day. I'm planning to go as hard on the arms as I did on the legs. It's going to hurt but it will be good hurt.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I was just scrolling through Facebook (i love FB) and found this pic and thought it very appropriate given what i just wrote

9519rirlaef1.jpg
  • Quzzdragon12
    Options
    Are the socks helping? Have your calves fully healed?

All I can say about your posts is WOW. Wow at your progress. Wow at how much you've pushed yourself. Wow at fighting off hunger daemons and pushing through to go to the gym. You really are an inspiration. :heart:
  • Kell2912
    Options
    ahhhh the ongoing saga of my knees and legs is truly getting a bit weary. I went to the physio on Saturday to get some work done on my torn calves. They aren't fully healed yet but are progressing ok. There are still some tears so I just have to baby them. I'm still having my knees fill with fluid every 10 days and this week it has been by issue. The physio stirred my leg up and that combined with my knees getting inflammed and full of fluid, i had some extreme pain down my left leg this weekend. No amount of pain killers would ease it and the only way i was able to go to sleep last night was with an ice pack on my knee. I couldn't train today which annoyed me no end. It has eased today so all being well tomorrow I will go to the gym and train my arms tomorrow. I have put my PT session off until Friday to give my legs time to recover.
    I really am finding it hard to believe that all of this problem with my legs is because i'm overweight like the doctors say. Yes I am overweight and that's not good for them but it can't be the entire reason my knees get inflammed. To be honest i think its a cop out because it's in the too hard basket and they don't know why my legs get inflammed every 10 days.
    As for the hunger demons. well I have caved big time and given in to them. Purely because i don't have the head space to deal with my knees and try to hold them at bay too. I'm hoping im back on track now. I have put on 2kg in the last week (not entirely sure how as I haven't eaten THAT much). So all in all still keeping on keeping on. Still in pain and still frustrated but still at it none the less.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're still having problems. Would it be possible to get another opinion on your knees? I would definitely be fighting to get them to take a sample of the fluid to test it. I hope things get better! *HUGS*
  • Quzzdragon12
    Options
    I have been in that spot where you can't eat right because of knee pain - I'm sorry it's plaguing you now. I've also been in the "meds don't help" stage and all you can do is ice them and cry. *hug* All I can suggest to get through it is to be nice to yourself. It's really easy when you're in pain to lash out at others AND yourself, but try to be kind to yourself.

Do they drain your knees when they get full or let them naturally deflate? Other suggestion from me would be an at-home TENS unit. I love mine - works great for pain interruption. Doesn't require drugs and you can control where and how much electricity you use.

Hope they can do something for you soon.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    After a pretty hideous weekend last weekend, I have had a pretty awesome week. Granted i didn't get to train until Thursday but I also had some other pretty interesting things going on.

On Wednesday I had my third body comp scan. I won't bore you with all the details but I have lost 3% body fat and gained 1.5kg (3.3lb) of muscle since 11th April. I was totally stoked with these results and so was my trainer and nutritionist. It really puts things into perspective given on the scales I have only lost 1kg (2lb). I'll take it as a massive NSV.

After last weeks epsiode with my knees, it really started (as you may have noticed) bugging me that the Drs feel this issue is cause by me being fat. It's amazing what entering the phrase "my knees swell every 10 days" into google can do. I had an epiphany. The first thing that happened is I found a forum of other people who had the same issue as me. OMG its not in my head and there are others!!!!!! Most of them were having trouble finding out what was happening too. Someone posted on the forum about the possibility of it being something called Intermittent Hydrarthrosis. So i researched this. Again OMG it was like reading a chronical of what is happening with my body every 10 days. The only thing I found was the articles i was reading were all written in the 50's - 70's. However another term kept cropping up so i researched that. Palindromic Rheumatism. After looking up more articles that were very recent i realised it is the same thing. I can't explain how awesome it was to find validation of what I have been going through every 10 days for the last 2 years.

Basically Palindromic Rheumatism is an Auto immune condition where the body flares in different places (in my case knees). For some people it can happen every few days, others every few months or years. It is characterised by swelling, heat , (sometimes) redness and pain in the affected joint(s). It starts slowly and builds up then fades away exactly the same as it starts. In between flares the joints are quite normal. There is no destruction of the joints. It is sometimes a precursor to Rheumatoid arthritis with about 50% of PR sufferers going on to develop RA.

To me this all makes sense. It's exactly what happens to me every 10 days. I already have an Auto immune history as well as a family history of Rheumatoid Arthritis on both my maternal and Paternal sides. I have made an appointment with a Rheumatologist and am keeping a diary of all my symptoms so the Dr can see what happens. I mean it may not be this but it seems very much like it and for now I will be treating it as though it is.

The plan is to train as much as I can in between flares and when I have a flare I will completely rest so as to minimise pain and potential damage. In the meantime the ice pack is my friend and we will be having quite a close relationship :wink:

My Fitness challenge is going pretty well considering injuries and flares. I did a half way mark fitness test yesterday and was able to shave 47 seconds off my time. I'm really stoked. I'm hoping to shave a further 15secs off by the end fitness test.

So a pretty productive week all in all.

• 50extra
    Options
    Hey Kell sorry I've been so quiet on here lately.

Glad to hear that you are achieving new pbs on the weights lately. Also hopefully now that you have somewhat of an idea as to what the knee problem might be, you can get a handle on the flare ups. I imagine having baseballs on your knee every week and a half isn't very enjoyable.

Great work shaving time off of your fitness challenge. I'm sure when your calfs and knees are better you will get it down even more than the 15 seconds you are hoping for now. Also when it's the final time I bet your body will let you push just a little bit harder than normal.

I'm very happy to hear that the body scans are starting to give you some positive read back. After that second one you got done I would have stopped because I still think it was bull$hit. Are you planning on doing another one down the road? Also are you still liking the watch? I looked into one and I don't really know how it would help me.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    I was very despondent after the second one but after I worked out the reason or my nutritionist did I kept going. If this one had of been the same yeah the towel possibly would have been tossed. But I've pretty much been sticking to my nutrition plan and working my kitten off and it's paying dividends.
    As for the watch and HRM I love them. When I'm training I'm constantly looking at my watch to see what my heart rate is. Depending on the numbers I know if I'm going hard enough and try and keep at that level or if I need to push more. For me it's a great motivator. As I have a fairl sedentary job it tells me when I've been sitting to long and need to move. It also tells me how long I've spent in the day either sleeping sitting standing moving or raining and again it's a great kick in the kitten to do more. It's all very individual and you need to find what works for you