• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Have fun, @Aine8046
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    Now I am not as scared of my 10k next Saturday! :)

Have fun and good luck
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    Good luck Aine! :)
    Thanks! Running in 30 min! Will report :)
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Well, 10k is done! I was concerned it might be hot, but it was pretty chilly and rained all morning, but stopped right before the race started. The Mackinaw island where I raced is beautiful this time of year with lilacs blooming everywhere... No cars are allowed on the island, one can walk, bike, or ride a horse carriage, which are abundant...

The race started in the town - there was about 1000 people running. First mile was easy and picturesque, but then there was a huge hill which threw me off... I really wanted to walk, but kept jogging - very slowly I must admit. We kept climbing up for about a mile until we reached the highest point on the island. The third mile took us downhill to the shore and the rest of the course was nice and flat. I knew there would be a hill, but I did not appreciate it in advance. I hoped to run it in under an hour, but did it in 1:05. Still happy taking into account crazy elevation changes...

Some pictures below! :)
    czhhd6fmw9u3.jpg
    jkhno4aiq2w5.jpg
    ut2qh4z8gpq8.jpg
    tf4pwm1fk8f9.jpg
    2rt2xiybsd4w.jpg
    5hxdsmps4n3c.jpg
    nydgxfwqybpr.jpg
    3g0h06v4b9nm.jpg

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work Aine, and looks like a beautiful place!
  • Aine8046
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thank you, @taeliesyn, it ti! And their medals are awesome! :)
    yrt2cskuy615.jpg
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Well I'm slowly starting to run again, broke 40k for the week, for the first time since March this year, and I'm feeling pretty good today too. Now to get properly regular running happening. Muscles are still good to go past 10k, but cardio needs work!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Good to see you back @taeliesyn ! Not sure when I'll be able to talk myself into running again. The left arm still hurts too much when I run. (MRI tomorrow to find out what is going on there.) It hurts when I'm cycling, but not enough to keep me off the bike.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello! I'm on my final week of C25k and will be "graduating" to the bridge class next week! Has anyone done the RunDouble bridge? Going from running 30 minutes to 40 (even with breaks) seems like a big difference for week 1. Is this going to hurt as much as I think it will?!?! lol
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Oh hai, it's been a while... Hope everyone is well!

And amazingly enough I've forgotten to start posting in this group. Anyway, I just finished W6 of C25K today, feels fab to be done with intervals as per last week (from today on it's only constant running again). I've planned to keep going with the Hal Higdon novice 10K programme after having researched a few options and the good thing about it is how it allows for some shorter runs layered between the increasingly long one. There should be just enough time to get ready for my first 10K race in early September, which scares the crap out of me whilst being very thrilling.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Oh, sorry about bodily troubles! I left the group on page 140-something and jumped to the reply field.

Ceci, I hope the arm stops being a nuisance, and perhaps the mri will show something of use. Please post back!

Taelisyn, don't overdo :) Thought I'd do a bit of finger waving just in case.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm on my final week of C25k and will be "graduating" to the bridge class next week! Has anyone done the RunDouble bridge? Going from running 30 minutes to 40 (even with breaks) seems like a big difference for week 1. Is this going to hurt as much as I think it will?!?! lol

I did the RunDouble distance version 5 to 10K. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's still a mind game. Keep telling yourself you can do it!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    @AglaeaC Great to see you back!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    sbl1881 wrote: »

I'm at close to the same place. I "graduated" C25k and was about to start working on 10K using RunDouble when I had a setback due to "dental hell", as my sister put it. I ran 30 minutes (2.24 miles) yesterday, so I need to work back up to the full 5k. I'm hoping to start working on the 10k in a couple of weeks (depending on life, dental issues, the weather, etc.).

I've been using the distance version on RunDouble, so my C25k run was already over 40 minutes but I looked at the distance version of the RunDouble bridge and was quite intimidated. It jumps from 3.1 miles to over 4! On the road I run on, that would mean running all the way up a very steep hill (the road gets really steep right about where I turn around on the 5k and stays steep for about 1/2 mile). My husband suggested starting out with the timed version instead. That will work, as it will start me at about the distance I'm already running. At some point, after I can run all the way up that hill, I'll switch back to the distance version.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    Hope they get your arm sorted Ceci! :)
    Good to see you back here AglaeaC - I'm being careful not to over do it, but I do appreciate the finger waggling ;)

SBL, it's not that big of a jump at this stage, just make sure you slow down :)

Nancy, your hubby has a good idea with the timed version, and although hills suck at first, don't be afraid of them! They do wonders for your running.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I actually think I might jump between distance and time according to feeling. Lately I've had a lot going on with rather tired legs as a result occasionally, so there is no point in pushing too much as long as I head out the door at least. The main point after all is to increase distance slowly enough, and I think I grasp the zest of various programmes without having a constant voice in my ears anymore. My own playlists/choices seem more inspiring anyway, so whatever gets the job done I think.
  • taeliesyn
    Options
    A total of 14K last night, 4k easy as warmup 2.5k as a cut short tempo session (Hammy was tighter than I was comfortable with at speed) and then 7.5k at not quite easy, but still able to chat. :)

AglaeaC - For you I think you're on the right path, you're probably at the point where you could ditch the programs all together if you really wanted to, but I know they can help with motivation.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    @taeliesyn: I keep telling myself that the hills are good for me. My 5K route already has an elevation gain of over 200 feet in the first half, but going the rest of the way up the hill adds more than 100 more feet of elevation in less than 1/2 mile of distance (about an average 8% grade). It wasn't that long ago that I felt like I was dying just walking up it! If I'm to get to running a full 10k, I'll have even more steep sections. I figure once I can do a 10K on our road, the Bolder Boulder will be a piece of cake.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    @NancyN795 hills really are ghastly... I can't even say I'm used to normal hills yet because they are so sneaky here and the elevation distance isn't huge at all. There was one tiny "molehill" that almost did me in though, in the beginning of C25K I mean, but now I'm just breezing past it. There was that same feeling of almost dying earlier, so I suppose we must recall how we've evolved since then :)
  • AglaeaC
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A total of 14K last night, 4k easy as warmup 2.5k as a cut short tempo session (Hammy was tighter than I was comfortable with at speed) and then 7.5k at not quite easy, but still able to chat. :)

Hammy sounds like a pet. Glad you were able to run comfortably!
    AglaeaC - For you I think you're on the right path, you're probably at the point where you could ditch the programs all together if you really wanted to, but I know they can help with motivation.

I'm sure you're right on the first portion, but the motivation (well, you're obviously right on that one, too) part is what has me attached to some kind of plan, even when it keeps floating a bit. During the shortish break when I was literally unable to do some running, I could feel the plan yell in the back of my head that I should be out there again, heh. So while I might be the maker of my plan eventually, I still think it's a great tool when trying to form a habit.