TDEE & BMR: What they are and what to do with them

Options
1161718192022»

Replies

• Emma33021
    Emma33021 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    So 20% is during the time you have over 60 to lose.
    Once you have less than 60 it's as if you started there, and reasonable drops to 15% until final 10 lbs, then 10%.

Thanks! I will adjust when necessary.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some insight...
    I've stalled in the last 2 months (ranging from 191 to 187...started here at 220), so I'd like to figure out my stats, as I am not sure if I have calculated my TDEE correctly. I have changed my caloric intake from 1300 to 1700 during my time here, and waited 2-3 weeks between each change. I'm not doing something right.

33 yrs
    190lbs currently
    5'4"
    Exercise 60 mins daily (10 minute stair jumps/hops, 20 minutes kickboxing, 30 minutes body weight+ dumbells (10-15lbs each) per day, very little cardio-- JM's Body Revolution 5 days a week minus the cardio days), sleep around 5-9 hours, household chores 3-4.5 hours, study/seated for the rest.

Is it possible for me to lose 2lbs/week?

I plugged my stats into few online calculators, and this is what I got for my TDEE:

IIFYM: 2193
    Tdeecalc.net: 2384
    Fitnessfrog: 2493
    Sailrabbit:
    HB(orig): 2305
    HB(rev): 2281
    MSJ: 2215
    Scooby: 2500

Can someone assist me, please?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since usually no one reads the stickies since they are very specific topics - you should get that info into the main topics for help from all, and for it to benefit others.

Might try this for better TDEE estimate too.
    Just TDEE please, better than 5 level TDEE charts.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

And you can lose 2 lb weekly if you don't mind good chunk being muscle mass. That is not reasonable though, and it would stop being that much.

And if undereating by that much - need a reset.
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a newbie question about BMR and TDEE and what number to use. When I use the EM2WL calculator, I get 1296 for BMR and 2009 for TDEE. When I averaged the numbers from my fitness band tracker over the past 30 days I get 1237 for Resting Burn and 1575 for Total Burn. (I only got over 2000 for Total once on my fitness band when I was doing heavy yard work for 5 or 6 hours. On my most active normal days I hit between 1700 and 1800.) I think that they are the same as BMR and TDEE, right? So how do I decide which number to use? Thanks!!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @girlfighting50 The first thing that comes to my mind is that if you are doing strength training, the band will not read it correctly. Most fitness band count steps and movement and their reading will not add properly ST workouts. Those would need to be added manually. The BMR number seem to be close to each other, but no matter what, the total burn your tracker is giving you is way too low. Even without knowing your height, weight, fitness and activity level, the TDEE estimated by the EM2WL calculator seems closer to an adult expected TDEE. Which activity level did you chose? Do you have a desk job? How active are you throughout the day?

This article goes into detail on BMR and TDEE http://eatmore2weighless.com/understanding-tdee-and-bmr/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • girlfighting50
    Options
    @TerezaToledo Thanks for your reply. I am 54 years old, in menopause if that matters, 5'6" tall, 136 lbs, desk job (but I can at least stand at my desk) and I chose moderate activity level. I'm not very consistent with my activity level across a week, sometimes exceeding 10,000 steps per day and sometimes only getting in 4,000 or so, sometimes working out and sometimes not. I haven't been weight training much at all - just starting to get back into it.

I'm starting the EM2WL beginner program next week, since I haven't lifted in a long time (hip and shoulder problems for quite a while but better now). So my fitness band is primarily based on walking since that's been my main activity, and I averaged my last 30 days of numbers. I had consecutive problems first with shoulder which required surgery and rehab then my hip which made me unable to walk even a mile and lifting was out of the question, so I'm badly out of shape and want to fix that. I'm only a few pounds over my happy weight but my body composition has changed for the worse. My goal is to lose some of the fat and gain muscle and look better. :smiley:

Yesterday's numbers were 8,000 steps, 30 minute exercise video with 5 lb weights, total burn was 1900 cals according to my fitness band. That is a lot closer to the EM2WL calculator than the 30 day running average, so maybe 2000 or so isn't too far off?

Thanks for the link, I'll read it soon as I can, and any advice you have for a newbie is appreciated!
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @girlfighting50 The 2000 for TDEE is not far at all. Keep that TDEE for a few weeks and see how it feels. Progress slowly with the lifting, you will see great body composition changes over time. Lifting will also help with bone density loss and muscle loss that increase with menopause. Make sure to keep your protein high.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • girlfighting50
    Options
    @TerezaToledo Sounds good - one last question if I could. If I have days when I am less active and my TDEE is lower, should I adjust for that, or just keep a steady calorie level and not worry about it? I'm looking forward to getting into a routine and seeing those changes, but there's always a day now and then when I'm in the car all day or something. Thanks so much for your comments, it really helps to hear from someone with more experience.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @girlfighting50 You are welcome any time!
    I've tried eating less in the days I didn't work out and more when I worked out and I didn't like it. I like to eat more or less the same amount everyday, so I stuck with my TDEE (considering my weekly activity level) and eat the same, even in the less active days. Some days I may feel less hungry and not hit all the calories and some days I may go over. But as long as the weekly average is close to my goal, it always worked fine. It will pretty much depend you what you feel more comfortable with and can do consistently. Consistency is the key to see body composition changes.
    We all have days when we don't get any steps in and days when we get double our average. I quit wearing my fitbit because I ended up obsessed with achieving so many steps everyday and couldn't take rest days. Needless to say, rest is important and my body was screaming for it, lol.

Feel free to post any questions you have!
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @beverlyriley900

The original post goes into detail on how your exercise calories should be factored into your tdee and therefore, you do not eat them back.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have it marked now so I can find it as I need to refer back to it.