Things I hate on LCHF

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Also, regarding salty and crispy -- roasted chicken skin!

https://sarahfragoso.com/easy-and-amazing-roast-chicken/

Love that!

I sometimes wish chickens were like onions.
    Peel off one layer of delicious crispy chicken skin,
    And find another layer!!!!
    :p

It kind of is, if you count the skin, then the fact that chicken breast meat often is layered (assuming that you're pulling from bone, and not a precut piece.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My favorite thing, though, is to just use Italian blend shredded cheese, dot with tomato sauce/dice, Italian herbs, garlic salt, and hamburger/pepperoni/both, then bake/broil until bubbly. Top with parmesan to taste. It is my ALLTIME FAVORITE...

Do you have a favorite recipe you use for that (measurements/servings, etc. needed so I can track)? Thanks!

@bjwoodzy

I use an Italian blend pre-shredded cheese. Generally, if I'm doing it in the oven, I use a cookie sheet with parchment paper, do the whole bag (8 oz), then 4-6 TBSP (2-3 oz) tomato sauce/diced tomatoes (without liquid, usually), whatever. To coverage. maybe 1-2 oz pepperoni, if my guy is eating too. Otherwise, just 1/4 cup hamburger meat or taco meat (uses the ketovangelist recipe, varied... Which is 1 TBSP each of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and I also add cumin. Salt to taste. Per pound of meat.). If I use tomatoes/sauce and not pasta sauce, I sprinkle with Italian seasoning (less than 1 TBSP) and garlic salt (less than 1 tsp, I'd guess).

I have fine tuned my own recipe. But those are ballpark figures. We've done bacon on it, and other meats. I'm not a veggies-on-my-pizza girl - I'd rather have them crisp on the side. LOL

But yeah, basically 8 oz cheese, 3 oz sauce, 1/4 stick of pepperoni (the margherita brand I get is an 8 oz stick), 1/4-1/2 cup ground meat. Seasonings to taste. 1/4 of recipe generally fills me up, though if I'm really hungry, I eat about 1/2 of it. The rest, my guy eats, or I stick in the fridge. If you're a cold pizza fan, it's FAB cold.

My taco meat shows to be about 4 carbs to 1/3 cup portion or so (6 oz pre-cooked weight, no idea cooked weight). I have been known to make this as a "dip" too by adding cream cheese to the bottom of a dish before cooking, but then I use a casserole and ditch the parchment. With the cream cheese, it's generally 4 grams per serving. 1-2 servings is more than enough to fill me up. Most of my recipe listings I've made show 2-6 carbs per serving, depending on whether I used flatbread/pita, how much cheese, how much sauce, etc.
  • NonnaTurtle
    NonnaTurtle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady
    Girl! I had the exact same problem. Hate that gulp of nasty grinds. Yuk!
    My solution was a french coffee press.
    I love love love mine. Super cheap on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE3L5W6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady
    Girl! I had the exact same problem. Hate that gulp of nasty grinds. Yuk!
    My solution was a french coffee press.
    I love love love mine. Super cheap on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE3L5W6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had that happen just this morning. Time to junk this pot and go Keurig or something similar.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    becwana wrote: »
    The only thing I hate, or rather what I miss - is the convenience.
    It's Convenient to just pop a couple slices of bread in a toaster or pour some cereal in a bowl.
    It's convenient to whack something between 2 slices of bread for lunch.
    It's convenient to just grab something from a shop.
    I have to think / plan more and if I want a specific thing I may have to work more to create a healthy version.
    But it's worth it!

@becwana Honestly, I don't find this to be true, I got my head outside the box...I spend less time now, than I used to do...

Low carb bread exists... low carb "cereal" can be as simple as tossing some coconut flakes, nuts, and low carb chocolate in a bowl with almond milk.

It's more convenient to make meat/cheese/condiment/pickle roll ups for me than dragging out a bag and crap too, in addition to the meat and such I'd get anyway. Ham, sharp cheddar, and pickles is my go-to back up meal if I don't want to mess with things. Pepperoni/salami is another fab option. Can use cream cheese, mayo, anything you like Wrap it up, scarf it down...

I can grab things from a shop. Want a sandwich pre-made? Get one, and just toss the bread. Slather with some mayo and mustard or oil and vinegar and go to it. Salad? Ditch the croutons and add extra fatty dressing. Pizza buffet? Eat only the toppings. Burgers? Ditch the bun... It's only hard when you make it hard. I have literally only gone into one place I couldn't grab something quickly, and that was only because the entire staff, management included, only stood there and stared while I asked the waitress some questions. If they'd actually wanted my business, a few minutes chatting with the manager could have easily resolved the issue.

I feel 10 times more full and satisfied when I ditched the bread. But, I had to give myself permission. I'm not a garbage disposal, and so I don't need to eat the bread or fries or whatever BECAUSE IT IS THERE...

Yes, I have to think a bit more about things, but once I made my go-to "out" list, I know what I can get from the grocer, from most fast food places, and I have several "options" when I go out...

And the other thing is, I'm sure you have some things in the house for your kids that you don't eat - and therefore convenience/temptation is poweful. But, I ask you, sincerely, if it's not healthy enough for you to eat, in the long run, do you really want to feed it do them? I had to ask myself many times over that if I let my daughter do things because "it's okay because she's young and her metabolism can handle it," wasn't I just perpetuating the cycle of "special foods" and "deserving things" and all that which landed me in this issue in the first place?? I'm not judging in any way, I promise you, but I'd say it is something worth thinking about, just in general, to make house rules before their taste buds get set on the "everything needs sugar, bread, sweets, sides, and junk" setting upon which my generation was raised. Yes, my guy and I still bicker because "he wants" things that I won't have around for myself, but that's a fact of life... LOL

There are some ideas there that would never have occurred to me (pizza just eating topping - genius!!)
    I am trying very hard to be organised (hard boiling eggs etc..) So I have easy to grab stuff. To be honest, I've always been a bit chaotic and that needs to be worked on in all areas of my life, not just the food!!
    Funny you mention about kids 'treats' I've just finished reading 'grain brain' and 'wheat belly' and its reminded me why I started this journey (as well as weight loss!!) I also don't fare well on bread and have spent years suffering for it.
    We don't have bread in the house anymore - to begin with my son asked for toast - now he never does - I occasionally make a low carb English muffin and he calls that toast.
    I've stopped buying cereal bars and swapped it for an unsweetened seed bar - he just eats them happily without ever questioning it.
    Basically I'm eliminating things from his diet one at a time - the latest one is cereal - he calls them pop-pops - he asks every morning and I tell him we have run out and give him something else.
    The thing is, it's so hard as he is quite limited on what he will or won't eat!! I need to try and do away with tortilla wraps, crisps and he eats waayyyy too much fruit - but I'm working on it!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @becwana That's some awesome progress there!! As far as crisps - if you mean US "potato" chips - try doing microwaved cheese. It tastes better (you can even add popcorn seasonings for more flavor), and in the microwave it "fluffs" more than in the oven, but that's good, too. If you mean cookies (biscuits?), there are easy alternative recipes there, too... (Sorry, I forget which ways the terms translate for us US folks...)

As for the fruit, just start pairing it with fatty dips - cream cheese dip, sour cream mixed with a tad of sweetener to be a like a yogurt dip, whipped cream, etc. I don't know many kids who don't enjoy dipping the crap out of things! LOL By adding dips, you can cut the quantity without him feeling deprived. Also, if you start investigating fruit flavored extracts, you can add the fruit flavors to gelatin, ice pops, enhancing the pop of baked dishes, etc.

On cereal, there are tons to make, and I'm sure some you can buy. It's a case of cutting down on the sweetened stuff and swapping out (90/10 all the way down to 10/90, etc....you know, how we cut juice with water, etc.?)... I'm sure in time you'll work your way down...once you find one he'll tolerate - or at least looks like his old cereal!

It's absolutely fantastic that you're making these changes now!! Think of the boost in health you're giving him now - and if he rarely has any other exposure other than once in a while, he'll be so far ahead of most folks!!!
  • becwana
    Options
    @becwana That's some awesome progress there!! As far as crisps - if you mean US "potato" chips - try doing microwaved cheese. It tastes better (you can even add popcorn seasonings for more flavor), and in the microwave it "fluffs" more than in the oven, but that's good, too. If you mean cookies (biscuits?), there are easy alternative recipes there, too... (Sorry, I forget which ways the terms translate for us US folks...)

Crisps are indeed potato chips
    Chips here are what you call fries
    Biscuits are cookies
    And scones are what you call biscuits

Ha ha! :smiley:

Thank you again for some great ideas!!
    I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm not depriving him - quite the opposite!!
  • becwana
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    This is an awesome deep dish recipe that I have made several times over the years wile doing low carb https://eatketo.com/chicago-style-stuffed-pizza/ it makes a ton and will fill you up for sure.

Oh my. That's now on my list for this weekend. *drool*

Another one for you
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/
    The dough is made from mozzarella and it is really good!! and holds together so you can pick it up which is always a bonus!
    Hands down the best low carb pizza I have tried.
    Although it is thin crust.
  • missholls910
    missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this but I've done something similar before and maaaaaaaaan do I miss ice cream! My boyfriend lives above one of the best ice cream shops in Denver and you can smell the waffle cones being made from his living room. Hindsight, that could be one of the reasons I needed to go back to the WOE.......

And I know there are ice cream alternatives but the waffle cones!!!!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to this but I've done something similar before and maaaaaaaaan do I miss ice cream! My boyfriend lives above one of the best ice cream shops in Denver and you can smell the waffle cones being made from his living room. Hindsight, that could be one of the reasons I needed to go back to the WOE.......

And I know there are ice cream alternatives but the waffle cones!!!!

ooooh thats tough. He may need to move....smells get me for sure!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
  • missholls910
    missholls910 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!!!!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing, though, is to just use Italian blend shredded cheese, dot with tomato sauce/dice, Italian herbs, garlic salt, and hamburger/pepperoni/both, then bake/broil until bubbly. Top with parmesan to taste. It is my ALLTIME FAVORITE...

Do you have a favorite recipe you use for that (measurements/servings, etc. needed so I can track)? Thanks!

@bjwoodzy

I use an Italian blend pre-shredded cheese. Generally, if I'm doing it in the oven, I use a cookie sheet with parchment paper, do the whole bag (8 oz), then 4-6 TBSP (2-3 oz) tomato sauce/diced tomatoes (without liquid, usually), whatever. To coverage. maybe 1-2 oz pepperoni, if my guy is eating too. Otherwise, just 1/4 cup hamburger meat or taco meat (uses the ketovangelist recipe, varied... Which is 1 TBSP each of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and I also add cumin. Salt to taste. Per pound of meat.). If I use tomatoes/sauce and not pasta sauce, I sprinkle with Italian seasoning (less than 1 TBSP) and garlic salt (less than 1 tsp, I'd guess).

I have fine tuned my own recipe. But those are ballpark figures. We've done bacon on it, and other meats. I'm not a veggies-on-my-pizza girl - I'd rather have them crisp on the side. LOL

But yeah, basically 8 oz cheese, 3 oz sauce, 1/4 stick of pepperoni (the margherita brand I get is an 8 oz stick), 1/4-1/2 cup ground meat. Seasonings to taste. 1/4 of recipe generally fills me up, though if I'm really hungry, I eat about 1/2 of it. The rest, my guy eats, or I stick in the fridge. If you're a cold pizza fan, it's FAB cold.

My taco meat shows to be about 4 carbs to 1/3 cup portion or so (6 oz pre-cooked weight, no idea cooked weight). I have been known to make this as a "dip" too by adding cream cheese to the bottom of a dish before cooking, but then I use a casserole and ditch the parchment. With the cream cheese, it's generally 4 grams per serving. 1-2 servings is more than enough to fill me up. Most of my recipe listings I've made show 2-6 carbs per serving, depending on whether I used flatbread/pita, how much cheese, how much sauce, etc.

Thanks for this, just now found it :( I hate MFP forums because notifications are too much if I turn them on, and I miss everything if I turn them off. HATE. I cannot keep up.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks for this, just now found it :( I hate MFP forums because notifications are too much if I turn them on, and I miss everything if I turn them off. HATE. I cannot keep up.

Me, too, @bjwoodzy. If I didn't use the PC for the forums, I'd never stand a chance at keeping up. Using them on the app makes my brain hurt.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

Might want to read this before buying one:
    http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/03/coffee-k-cups-green-mountain-polystyrene-plastic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/20/keurig-machine-bacteria-real-gross_n_7345858.html
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The list is short:

BPC with coffee grounds in it. I bet every third pot the filter folds over and I drink grounds. I try so hard every morning to get the filter perfect in there alas...I drink grounds 33% of the time. Whyforhowcome, I ask, whyforhowcome? I never drank coffee before this WOE. I may have to switch to tea...or hint around for a Keurig :smile:

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/2014/03/coffee-k-cups-green-mountain-polystyrene-plastic

I also never drank coffee prior to this WOE. My parents bought me a Keurig - I didn't ask, they just did it.

Anyway, I am NOT going to spend the money on all those K-cups because they are way too expensive. Therefore, I just bought the little re-usable cups you fill with regular coffee. They have been working just fine for the 4 months or so I have used them. Only $3-4 for a 2 pack.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    becwana wrote: »

Another one for you
    http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/04/23/fat-head-pizza/
    The dough is made from mozzarella and it is really good!! and holds together so you can pick it up which is always a bonus!
    Hands down the best low carb pizza I have tried.
    Although it is thin crust.

Agreed! Hubby and I love this pizza!

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    The list is short:

I also never drank coffee prior to this WOE. My parents bought me a Keurig - I didn't ask, they just did it.

Anyway, I am NOT going to spend the money on all those K-cups because they are way too expensive. Therefore, I just bought the little re-usable cups you fill with regular coffee. They have been working just fine for the 4 months or so I have used them. Only $3-4 for a 2 pack.

I got mine as a gift as well. And am ordering the reuseable cups later today. Those darn throwaways are expensive. :rage:
    I'm not reading those links. Probiotics, right? :lol:
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Me, too, @bjwoodzy. If I didn't use the PC for the forums, I'd never stand a chance at keeping up. Using them on the app makes my brain hurt.

The mobile app is good for me for only two things:

1) tracking water (I'm OCD and forget if I had 6 glasses or 10 and yes, it matters to me). The stupid thing does not like when I enter water in the PC browser app

2) feed notifications do not work at all on PC for me, my Gmail messages direct me to the main page and not the actual post (every time) if someone follows up on a person's post, so I have to use the bell in the mobile app. Frustrating, since I mostly work from home and use MFP on PC for logging food - which is also a nightmare on mobile for me.