NSV's = Non-scale Victories

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ann, Those talks you had about the past together and about your single future were among the biggest gifts you probably gave each other. 'So lovely to hear about how two people lived that time by listening and being open.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »
    Farback wrote: »
    I feel for you Mac., it can't be easy to find someone at our age. Like many here, we don't fit what the expectation is for old folks. Just today I had a Captain ask me 'Holy REDACTED, when did you turn 60?'. I told him May, but I don't act my age. I'm one of the lucky ones, with a great marriage that has stood the test of time and raising three kids. I don't expect to outlive my wife (heart thingy) or to give her any reason to dump me now, but if I did find myself single I don't think I'd be looking to be married again. I'm past the point of changing who I am to meet a new mate half way. For better or worse, I am what I am and it's a take/leave situation at this point. If I had to find someone new, she'd have to be right some tolerant.

Not sure what I will do if I outlive my husband. I'm not much of a loner but I could live alone. I can't imagine finding a mate again but I wouldn't mind having companionship. I suppose I would move to CO and hang out with my kids but I would try to find an independent group of friends and reenergize some of the hobbies I've given up along the way.

Weird to think about really. With everything going on here I have to admit I have thought about it, somewhat frightfully...........ugghhhh. We've been together for 38 years so it's kind of difficult to imagine anything else really.

I definitely wouldn't want to be hanging out with "old men" or "old women" in the stereotypical sense of those words.

Everyone's different, so your mileage may vary, but I have to say that I was wasting any time I spent pre-widowhood thinking about how I'd want to live post-widowhood. I'm a very, very different person than I would ever have imagined I'd become.

Once we knew my husband was, in fact, dying, the most valuable return came from time and energy invested resolving any minor still-open issues between us, and re-appreciating the value and high points of the 20-odd years together. In retrospect, spending energy on those things was what most helped me move forward more sure-footedly later. It was a great gift to have talked about his hopes and wishes for my future, as well.

Thanks for the good advice. My husband has been trying to talk to me about my future but I haven't wanted to yet although we do reminisce about our life a lot. We've been very happy together and raised 3 wonderful kids. We're sort of just hanging onto each other for dear life right now.

I don't want to really imagine him gone, and since we don't know that yet, I prefer to not spend too much time thinking about a future alone. I agree I might be a completely different person but I won't know until I get there I suppose.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Farback wrote: »
    I feel for you Mac., it can't be easy to find someone at our age. Like many here, we don't fit what the expectation is for old folks. Just today I had a Captain ask me 'Holy REDACTED, when did you turn 60?'. I told him May, but I don't act my age. I'm one of the lucky ones, with a great marriage that has stood the test of time and raising three kids. I don't expect to outlive my wife (heart thingy) or to give her any reason to dump me now, but if I did find myself single I don't think I'd be looking to be married again. I'm past the point of changing who I am to meet a new mate half way. For better or worse, I am what I am and it's a take/leave situation at this point. If I had to find someone new, she'd have to be right some tolerant.

Not sure what I will do if I outlive my husband. I'm not much of a loner but I could live alone. I can't imagine finding a mate again but I wouldn't mind having companionship. I suppose I would move to CO and hang out with my kids but I would try to find an independent group of friends and reenergize some of the hobbies I've given up along the way.

Weird to think about really. With everything going on here I have to admit I have thought about it, somewhat frightfully...........ugghhhh. We've been together for 38 years so it's kind of difficult to imagine anything else really.

I definitely wouldn't want to be hanging out with "old men" or "old women" in the stereotypical sense of those words.

Everyone's different, so your mileage may vary, but I have to say that I was wasting any time I spent pre-widowhood thinking about how I'd want to live post-widowhood. I'm a very, very different person than I would ever have imagined I'd become.

Once we knew my husband was, in fact, dying, the most valuable return came from time and energy invested resolving any minor still-open issues between us, and re-appreciating the value and high points of the 20-odd years together. In retrospect, spending energy on those things was what most helped me move forward more sure-footedly later. It was a great gift to have talked about his hopes and wishes for my future, as well.

Thanks for the good advice. My husband has been trying to talk to me about my future but I haven't wanted to yet although we do reminisce about our life a lot. We've been very happy together and raised 3 wonderful kids. We're sort of just hanging onto each other for dear life right now.

I don't want to really imagine him gone, and since we don't know that yet, I prefer to not spend too much time thinking about a future alone. I agree I might be a completely different person but I won't know until I get there I suppose.

Exactly - why spend mind-share on it now. It will be both difficult and interesting enough to give him what he needs, and to get what you need, In the complicated and precious present. Of course, that's always true; we simply don't always realize it.

(Wishing you strength and energy . . . .)
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks Ann!

I have a small NSV this morning.............new running shoes and my feet love me for it! Has anyone else lost weight or size in their feet? I can't believe I can wear normal sized shoes again! Just like with clothes, it's really fun trying shoes on again.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    I've not experienced a change in shoe size yet... or at least not that I noticed. I tend to wear loose fitting shoes as my feet are very flat.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I did Lulu. At my heaviest I was as much as an 8-1/2' now I wear 7-1/2. New shoes, yay!
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I did Lulu. At my heaviest I was as much as an 8-1/2' now I wear 7-1/2. New shoes, yay!

Yes I've gone from a 9 to an 8 or 8.5 and from a wide shoe to a regular show width......so weird!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Huh, never thought about shoes changing size too...but I guess it makes sense.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

(Great story snipped to reduce quote length)

• I realized that in an emergency, I can do what needs to be done.

Now there's a powerful motivator for any of us!
  • marekdds
    Options
    That is a great story and epic NSV.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is my NSV. I was always very slim and fit when i was younger. I somehow lost myself in the pitty pool after a horrible divorce and found myself depressed,overweight,and out of shape. Because of my weight I did not lIke the way I looked in shorts. This summer I decided it was time to just get over it. Even though I'm still very overweight I've been wearing shorts, skirts and dresses. Surprisingly, this also gave me the confidence to get outside and exercise. I've been riding my bicycle and walking to do my errands and I feel great. I've now begun to eat better as well. For the first time in a long while I feel I can do this.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Kudos Beverly! You are on your way, good for you!
  • luluinca
    Options
    WTG Beverly............you're on the road to a healthier and happier you!

My NSV today is that I actually signed up for a 5K run. It's a Tiki run, with grass skirts and all, in Huntington Beach on Aug 21. I'm pretty excited. I've always wanted to do one but didn't want to walk it, and now I can actually run that far.....LOL

I also found one for my daughter and I to do the weekend before Thanksgiving. She's going to fly out from CO to do it with me...........I'm really excited about that one!
  • marekdds
    Options
    The tiki run sounds like great fun. I have done some 5ks but I had to take walk breaks, especially if there were hills. You can certainly do this.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    that's going to be epic!!! pictures !!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    That seems pretty strong to me! Good work!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,069 Member
    Options
    That seems pretty strong to me! Good work!

^^^^ I second this ^^^^