New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Welcome @ReadingCat <3
    Change one thing new next week. Eventually you will have a tool box that works with you.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What is SUP?
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    What is SUP?

Nothing much...what'SUP with you? Just kidding...paddleboard joke. :wink:

Sorry I didn't explain it better before (I usually spell it out) - SUP means Stand Up Paddleboard(ing). It's great fun and wonderful full body workout.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    What is SUP?

giphy.gif
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's an acronym for EVERYTHING these days. :# I've paddle boarded before, it's fun but I prefer to paddle sitting in my yak!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhhh
  • dlarsentx
    dlarsentx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and retired from the Army a little more than eight years ago. Since starting my second career, I packed on the pounds since I was no longer "required" to conduct physical training sessions each weekday. When my weight ballooned to 265, I'd had enough and started MFP and slowly (very slowly) I'm getting back into shape. Today, I'm 240 pounds ... still overweight, but improving with each week I track my food and exercise using MFP. For cardio workouts, I use the "Runkeeper" app, because MapMyRun wasn't always working well. My long-term goal weight is 180 pounds (I'm 5'10"), but the first near-term goal is 225 by Christmas Day 2016. I could use more friends ... especially those my own age who have to deal with the same aches and pains of weight loss, exercise and aging all at once. I'm glad I found this group and hope to find new friends, too.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Welcome Diarsentx.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Dlarsentx!
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Hey @dlarsentx ! Welcome to the group.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Hi @dlarsentx welcome to the group and just send a friend request if you want! We're a pretty friendly bunch! Good luck on your goals. Stick around, log your food and exercise and just be consistent and you'll be successful!
  • marshal616
    marshal616 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks @dlrIsentx suppose I should introduce myself too. I didn't see the topic when I joined.
    My name is Jim. I am 54 and live in north central California. I began my lifestyle change in November 2014 when my doctor told me that I would have to take pills for the rest of my life to control my blood glucose levels. I took it as a challenge.
    So far I have lost 140 pounds and have not had to take those (nasty) pills for well over a year.
    I am not done yet. I have to maintain my weight and regain the muscle mass I've lost after years of self abuse.
    I was pleased to find this group and have enjoyed the conversations so far.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Great success, @marshal616. Welcome!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I've been in hiding for quite a while, so welcome to all the new members. This group tends to be the drama free zone of MFP. Us old folks don't have time for the drama!
  • shrinkbaby
    shrinkbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not really familiar with message boards but I am going to try to follow this group. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago. I'm married and have two sons, 32 & 25 (at the end of this month). I have always been pretty active, topped the scales at 140. In 2009 I was diagnosed with breast cancer, it was hormone receptive so I had to have a hysterectomy. I was on the meds for 5 years which caused joint pain, primarily my hips and knees. I have started workouts like TurboFire numerous times only to quit after about 5 weeks due to the pain. I started walking on 9/12 and walk 3 miles at lunch hoping to work my way back to running. I have always heard it is harder to lose weight the older you get, hopefully we will find things that work and can share with each other. My weight is 163 I am working on losing 30 lbs and actually feeling better. It's so easy to gain weight when you are sitting at a desk all day.
    I do have a Fitbit Charge HR so send me a friend request.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @shrinkbaby. I’m a breast cancer survivor, too – but was lucky not to have severe problems from the anti-estrogen drugs (I took a couple of different ones, for a total of about 7.5 years).

I have had joint problems though – arthritis, torn meniscus. Weight loss has dramatically reduced incidence and severity of pain/discomfort for me. Getting fitter/stronger has also helped, but the weight loss was the biggest factor.

I hope you’ll have the same kind of happy results as your weight loss proceeds!

(P.S. Did you know that regular vigorous exercise also reduces our risk of recurrence? Weight loss should also have benefits, as fat cells help create post-menopausal estrogen.)
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    So, I just read a thread about meal times and bed times and whatnot. Ugh, I feel old and exhausted! I eat dinner early, like 5 pm and I am asleep by 7 or 8 pm. I'm also up at 4 am for work. Of course, I'm posting here bc this is the most nonjudgmental group around :-)
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @MadDogManor, I'm with you...up really early in the morning, but I need to try to eat earlier and get enough sleep! My activity tracker keeps sending messages that I need to sleep more. According to Garmin Connect, only 1% of the population in my age group gets less sleep than I do. Yea...I excell at something....hahaha. No judgements here. We have all been around the track enough to know everyone has there own demons and desires. Do what works for you.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    Any kind of schedule is better than no schedule. I worked rotating shifts for years (ugh!!) and then moved to being day-shift but available on-call... which meant frequent interruptions at all sorts of odd hours... Finally, I'm working straight days. As odd as this might sound, I set an alarm to remind me to go to bed. If I don't set that alarm, I will keep working (or playing) until the wee hours of the morning when I finally clue it that it's late... And I do need to get up in the morning for work so....