TEAM FIVE

Options

Replies

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @bowlerae great to have you aboard. First challenge is to send/accept friend requests from teammates. This just helps us encourage and motivate each other thru the duration of the race. If you prefer to only add keto/LCHF that is your prerogative. :) as long as you stay active on here, I'm okay with that.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @rusgolden I have accepted all of the requests I have received which was about 9.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Team, I was wrong about the end time... We have to have all challenges complete and minutes entered by 9pm PDT on Sunday.

Also, on Q&A thread...
    hawkins410 wrote: »
    rusgolden wrote: »
    Question was posed regarding how specific you need to be when telling about your "town"... Last race, this was more general as many don't want to reveal their town on public forums... So can we post about the state or country (for non-US/Canada) we live in instead?
    Good question! You are right; many people don't like to give their specific town for privacy reasons, therefore we don't require it. Naming my state and describing the general area will suffice. For example, if I just say I live in California, that would be too vague. But if I say I live in a bedroom community halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego, and also include a very brief description of my area, that would work. Also, I must remember to tag @MissionEnforcer. Thank you for asking! :)

• Trigirl247
    Trigirl247 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @MissionEnforcer
    Welcome to "Title Town USA" also known as the "Toilet Paper Capital of the World" (we played like crap this past weekend so it is fitting). Let me introduce you to Green Bay, Wisconsin! The home of beer, brats and cheese! You probably know that Green Bay fans are often called Cheeseheads because Wisconsin is known for its cheese production and because of those massive foam fromage hats people started wearing in the '80s. What you may not know is that it was originally meant as a taunt - Illinois football and baseball fans used it to mock their Wisconsinite opponents. Besides our love for food, beer and football, Green Bay has very friendly people, beautiful lakes and it's a beautiful area to run and cycle!
  • jen_b860813
    jen_b860813 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi everyone! :smiley:

Sorry I am late to the party, yesterday I was celebrating my 30th birthday, woohoo!!

Anyways... About me, where to begin!

I am married to my high school sweet heart of 12 years. We have two daughters ages 9 and 3 who keep me on my toes. Not only am I a mom and wife, but I also am a full time college student (yes, a "seasoned" one) in my senior year. In May I will graduate with my bachelors degree in elementary education and couldn't be more excited to get in a classroom pursuiting my passion, working with children! I grew up in western Washington so it was awesome to see we are starting in Leavenworth, I went there every winter! Although Washington is where I was born and raised, 3 years ago we packed up all our belongings and headed to Minot, ND! My Dad lives here and school is a lot cheaper in these neck of the woods. Minot is called the "Magic City" and I truly believe it. It is an amazing place to raise our two little darlings, and although the weather can be severe, we are acclimating! @MissionEnforcer

On a fitness note...
    Just like many do, this isn't my first trip on the merry-go-round called weight loss. In 2011, my husband and I wanted to have another child. On January 1st, 2012 I made a new years resolution and started my first journey around 220 lbs. and got down to 170 before I received the news I was pregnant. My daughter was born in April 2013! I stayed very active and healthy during my pregnancy, but after she was born it went down hill and January 1st, 2016 I was at my highest weight ever of 231.8 lbs. Once again I made a New Years resolution to get healthy this year, here I am 10 1/2 months later and I have lost 67.8 lbs. and am at the lowest weight I have been since before having babies!!

We are done having kids so now the real goal begins, losing the last 20 pounds and entering the dreaded "maintenance mode". I love to do cardio and struggle with flex and strength which I am trying to change!

I absolutely loved the summer challenge so I am looking forward to this race to help me stay on track over the holidays. I have friended anyone who hadn't already friended me. Looking forward to this amazing journey over the next 8 weeks, we are in for an adventure!!

PS I am up for any team name, but personally I love The Fab Fives!! <3
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Progress:
    Challenge 1 - 10 points
    1.Friend each of your teammates. If they don’t accept your request, try again. Make sure you put a heading in your request, such as “Amazing Race - Fall Fun!”, we are team mates! If after two tries over the course of the entire week, they do not reply, inform your Team Captain. YOU will NOT be penalized if you do not get an acceptance!

I have befriended 15 of my teammates and sent requests to the other 5 on the list. Anxiously awaiting their approval! :wink:

2. Tag MissionEnforcer done

3. State what town/province/state/country you are from and give a brief description of where you live (pictures are fun, but not necessary). and done

Challenge 2 - 10 points
    1. "Viking Chant" Video x3
    2. YouTube Video #1 x3, YouTube Video #2 x3, YouTube Video #3 x3

will work on these when I get home

Challenge 3 - 5 points
    Water Challenge - 60 ounces of water 5 days out of 7

definitely need to work on this...
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Welp. Already introed, but now that we have some instructions... :wink:

@MissionEnforcer

I'm *from* a little town in the center of Connecticut, but I've been living in Southwest Virginia for the last 7 years since I graduated college. I miss the New England Autumns, I think they're prettier, but at the same time the mountains here are nice.

Picture of the area where I live now under the spoiler tag. It's from last fall though, as the leaves aren't really changing here yet.
    0atedctb19is.png

Also sent friend requests to the entire team for anyone who hadn't already added me or I wasn't already friends with. Just waiting on some to approve still.

100 oz of water is going to be very hard for me as I start feeling ill around 70, especially during months other than summer.
  • Meowler
    Meowler Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello! Sorry for being late – I spent the weekend recovering from an event that we have been organising to represent international students and our cultures at university college. I’m excited to be here following the Summer challenge, but please do not hesitate to give me a nudge if I go quiet. I’m quite busy and forget to check-in sometimes, but I will try to keep up with the forums as best as I can!

I’m Zara (24) and I have been living in Norway for over a year now. I moved here from Scotland to live with my long-term partner of seven years and have recently started studying Norwegian at a local university college. By this time next year, I want to be fit, fluent and return to my profession in graphic design and printed media. I’ve never been married and don’t have any children yet, but I have a cat who is only a year old and very playful! He can get a bit too excited sometimes and be a bit of an *kitten*. Like @geminiswede I also enjoy playing games, both tabletop and video games (mostly MMORPG or fantasy theme).

I started my journey back in April when I found myself on the scales at 87.1kg (192lbs), the heaviest weight I’ve ever been. I had put on over 20lbs during winter here in Norway, where it reached -22.3°C at it’s coldest in my town. I’d never been content with my weight, but this motivated me to change my eating habits and I found myself on MFP. Since then, I have lost 16.8kg (37lbs) and I’m starting to feeling much healthier and more confident in myself. I’ve not yet completed my MFP journey, but I’d say I’m about half way towards my goal weight of 50-55kg (110-120lbs).

I participated in the Summer with T5 along with our co-captains and some other seasoned players – it’s lovely to have you back as well as some new faces! I enjoyed doing mostly cardio and spent a lot of time walking. This was great during the Summer, when at it’s warmest it reached 28.1°C outside. Unfortunately, now that it’s getting cold again I don’t think I’ll be able to walk about as much so I will be exercising indoors. Fitness Blender is great for this, but I’d also like to do some strength training and focus on burning fat/retaining muscle.

Anyway, I think that’s enough chatter from me for now!

@b3eachy – Hope you had a lovely birthday! I found your post very motivating to read and can only hope to be active like you in the future!

@MiamiSeoul - I’m also sorry to hear about your dear Bella. It’s awful losing a much-loved family member and I have lost a few companions over the years. Thoughts are with you. x

@MissionEnforcer - Challenge #1 and good to see you again! :)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    @littlebarry -- You rock! Thanks for checking in and you will be missed, but it looks like we have a great team! Feel free to poke your head in every now and again when you are back on the grid! :)

Zara - great to have you back as well.

I am really enjoying reading about you guys, what you like to do (both fitness and non-fitness related), and the places where you are. As I mentioned, Kat will be joining us later in the week, so if you don't hear from her on your friend requests, that is why.
  • 2016summerfun
    2016summerfun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @littlebarry your going to be missed on the team .

I'm only waiting for Kat . :)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    @MissionEnforcer

Okay, I'm going to use the same collages I did from last race since they capture a lot of the essence of the city where I have spent the last 30 years of my life.

I live in a small community on the outskirts of the Kansas City metro area on the Kansas side. We are the Sunflower state, so I appreciated the photo @vanessa40 had in her into. I spent most of my career as the Information Technology Director of the small private university that my wife and I graduated from (and now son graduated from and daughter is attending there). About 4 years ago I changed jobs and now work in the heart of downtown KC. The picture of the river in the collage below was taken from my office.

Kansas City is a great city with all seasons. It is the city of fountains as the only city with more fountains in the world is Rome. We are home to several sports teams... Chiefs (football), Royals (baseball and 2015 champs), Sporting KC (soccer), Mavericks (minor hockey), T-Bones (miner baseball) and the Kansas Univeristy Jayhawks are just an hour north of the city. KC is also a cultural diverse city (though not nearly like Houston...that was wow!) and is known for its Jazz and BBQ.

7tykv4ddwq49.jpg
    c8wo9myh7q5v.jpg
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,092 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Week 1 Challenge 1 - Say Hallo!

a. Send out Friend Requests - Done (still waiting on Kat to reply; all others have been accepted).
    b. Tag @MissionEnforcer - Done
    c. State what town/province/state/country you are from and give a brief description of where you live - (see below/Done):

Hallo!

I live in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida - which is on the West Coast of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico. We are also known as the Sugar Coast with our White Sandy Beaches. "The Bay" really is made up of multiple bays - Old Tampa Bay, Upper/Lower Tampa Bay, Hillsborough Bay and McKay Bay. Oddly, the city of Tampa actually lies on the Hillsborough bay, go figure. We are in a sub-tropical zone, so the weather here is very temperate all year around, though often quite humid. With the breezes off the surrounding water, our summers aren't even as hot as they were in Virginia (which is where I'm from originally). While summers are hot in the 90'sF, they rarely every get over 100F, which was pretty common when I lived on the Virginia coast and in the Washington DC area.

The Tampa area is known for so many things...beautiful beaches; cuban cigars; MacDill Air Force Base (home to two major combatant commands); many sports teams - Bucs, Rays, Bolts, Storm, Rowdies; Busch Gardens; and other resorts. It really is like living in paradise all year.

When I first visited the area in the 1990's, I fell in love with Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa. Also known as "Babe Shore" (or "Jiggly Way") for all the interesting running sights along what is claimed to be the longest continuous sidewalk in the world (4.5 miles (7.2 km) long). In this picture facing north, there are multi-million dollar mansions on the left side and Hillsborough bay on the right.
    vzgjenwonl9s.jpg

This area off Bayshore has also been a common paddling location for me over the past year; however, there has been some sightings of an 8-10' alligator swimming about, so I've been avoiding the area lately - especially since he's almost as long as my paddleboard and I really don't want to be viewed as an appetizer on a cracker for him. Clearly the gator doesn't mind the salt water (though it is known to be more 'brackish' on the northern side of Hillsborough bay because the fresh water river dumps into the bay there).
    zj07t38zui38.jpg

If you are a fan of the Punisher movie, you may also know one of our other landmarks, the Sunshine Skyway bridge which connects the lower end of the Pinellas county peninsula with the mainland of FL.
    her065wpdym5.jpg

Some of you may have never seen a paddleboarding event, so I am including this youtube video link from one of my favorite races last year - the Paddlefest in Englewood FL. This will again be my last race of the season this year in mid-November; however, we'll be racing on the gulf side instead of in the intercoastal waterway like last year. So, I'll be doing a lot of paddling during this challenge.
    https://youtu.be/Tf13--IQ9aQ

BTW, if you are wondering if I can paddleboard in Iceland...others have done it (BRRRR!!!) - picture from SUP Magazine...
    1449007278219-1.jpg

Looking forward to many miles of traveling with all my Team 5 mates! Per our name, I like Fit Fives the best, and also Fab Fives.

Cheers!!
  • 2016summerfun
    Options
    @MissionEnforcer. I only need one to answer her friends request. I live in England. Staffordshire. :)
  • 2016summerfun
    Options
    Have you all seen the weight tracker . ?. :)
  • rusgolden
    Options
    Have you all seen the weight tracker . ?. :)

Yup :smile: -- currently in maintenance mode so don't think I will participate but those of you shooting for a goal at the end of the race or by year's end, looks like it will be a good visual for tracking loss from start to finish.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    Hola all!

So far, six of us have chimed-in regarding a team name.

The favorites thus far are:
    1st place - Fit Fives
    2nd place - Fab Fives
    3rd place - Five Star Racers

Still in contention: Fantastic Fives; Golden Rulers & Rus' Angels

1) Team 5
    2) Flying High-Fivers
    3) Five Star Hotties
    4) Fit Fives
    5) Rus' Angels
    6) Five Star Racers
    7) Five Golden Rings