NSV's

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am strange, but I eat 18+ eggs every week - scrambled mixed with sausage/bacon, jalapeño and cheese; hard boiled in salads or plain; poached (in one of those microwave things that takes less than a minute), fried, etc.

Taco salad (no tortilla) is one dinner plus a left over lunch almost every week plus making just a burger is pretty regular.

I love dark meat chicken, so really the time to prepare is the only thing that prevents me from having it more often.

Right now, I have some discounted pork shoulder in the crock pot with zucchini, broth and seasoning that I can't wait to have for dinner. Pork, especially when discounted, is an inexpensive option. Pork shoulder is also quite high in fat. The nutrition label on the package had it with 21 g fat and 17 g protein per serving with no carbs. Even after removing the bone, this was well under $2/lb.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I will ever get tired of eggs, there are too many different ways to cook them, but that being said, the biggest problem with nutrition education is that everything they teach in public schools is WRONG. Nutrition guidelines are written by farmers based on what they produce and want the population to eat, it has absolutely nothing to do with what is good for the human body.

The food pyramid is great...if you want to look like a pyramid.

You can almost invert the pyramid if you really want success. You know put the grains at the top with the note of only in very small amounts.
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    This is an odd one, but all the research I have done these last several months along with the changes I can see in myself has completely changed the way I view others who struggle with weight. I wasn't a full on "it's their own fault" type of person because I thought there are definite genetic predispositions to our body composition. However, I did think people had more control than they do...or I should say I thought people had more control using "established" nutritional and exercise guidelines.

This is a somewhat embarrassing thing to post. The reason I am is I think that if we could get enough people to have this NSV in the general population, it really would have a dramatic impact on the health of our population. I am not just talking about those of us who have never been obese (although technically, I came very close to that BMI at my heaviest), but among those who are obese and beat themselves up over it on a regular basis. That self abuse often leads to giving up which leads to an exacerbation of the weight gain and more importantly, the negative health effects thereof.

I was having a similar conversation with myself this weekend, contemplating how to bring it up with my students. Why do we as an American culture so quickly jump to the assumption of "lazy" instead of "sick"? This applies to both weight loss and mental health. Someone with depression is often written off as a lazy slacker instead of someone who had a chemical imbalance impacting their brain. Another person who has a metabolic issue is written off as a lazy over-eater instead of someone who had a chemical or physical ailment. I know many of my students see me as being fat and lazy instead of someone who is struggling to regain balance metabolic health and battling anemia. I am constantly exhausted, but I show up and give my best every day, trying to be a good example. Some of them get that; most do not. My coworker who is 3 months pregnant and has missed several days this year so far is allowed a pass by the students... because her "diagnosis" has visible symptoms, and is considered healthy.

My observation came down to this... Americans like to lay blame instead of finding solutions. If someone is lazy, we can blame them. If they are ill, the blame game is then played in a much more difficult arena.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    lamiller82 wrote: »
    This is an odd one, but all the research I have done these last several months along with the changes I can see in myself has completely changed the way I view others who struggle with weight. I wasn't a full on "it's their own fault" type of person because I thought there are definite genetic predispositions to our body composition. However, I did think people had more control than they do...or I should say I thought people had more control using "established" nutritional and exercise guidelines.

This is a somewhat embarrassing thing to post. The reason I am is I think that if we could get enough people to have this NSV in the general population, it really would have a dramatic impact on the health of our population. I am not just talking about those of us who have never been obese (although technically, I came very close to that BMI at my heaviest), but among those who are obese and beat themselves up over it on a regular basis. That self abuse often leads to giving up which leads to an exacerbation of the weight gain and more importantly, the negative health effects thereof.

I was having a similar conversation with myself this weekend, contemplating how to bring it up with my students. Why do we as an American culture so quickly jump to the assumption of "lazy" instead of "sick"? This applies to both weight loss and mental health. Someone with depression is often written off as a lazy slacker instead of someone who had a chemical imbalance impacting their brain. Another person who has a metabolic issue is written off as a lazy over-eater instead of someone who had a chemical or physical ailment. I know many of my students see me as being fat and lazy instead of someone who is struggling to regain balance metabolic health and battling anemia. I am constantly exhausted, but I show up and give my best every day, trying to be a good example. Some of them get that; most do not. My coworker who is 3 months pregnant and has missed several days this year so far is allowed a pass by the students... because her "diagnosis" has visible symptoms, and is considered healthy.

My observation came down to this... Americans like to lay blame instead of finding solutions. If someone is lazy, we can blame them. If they are ill, the blame game is then played in a much more difficult arena.

I just finished a great book that explains a LOT of this in the context of American history, not the myths that Americans are raised on. "White Trash - the 400 year Untold History of Class in America" by Nancy Isenberg. One of the main points is that the large landowners who first came over felt those who were press ganged into coming to North America could 'better themselves' if only they worked harder.
    https://amazon.ca/White-Trash-400-Year-History-America/dp/0670785970/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @cstehansen - I see a lot of the "punishment for poverty" stuff that relates to this, too. If someone (like me and others) grew up eating nothing but canned veggies and pasta and potatoes and such because it was cheap, when we hit a wall with funds and stuff, what is there to eat that is healthy, cheap, and filling, and nourishing, and all that? How do we find it? Why are healthier foods more costly than horrible ones? How are WIC and Food Stamps (and the argument to drop steak and seafood from food stamps programs???) helping the matter??

WIC drives me crazy. I know a couple with a baby who are on WIC, and also happen to be vegan. WIC will cover soy milk, but only the sweetened variety! WIC is supposed to be helping people make healthy food choices, but won't let them use the benefits for unsweetened soy milk? Ridiculous.

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    My NSV today is my new resolve to 100% get back on track just like I am doing this for the first time ever. Wednesday, when we are back from San Antonio I'm going to weigh, measure (all areas, not just my waist) and eat right to knock myself back into ketosis. I'm going to log like a crazy woman every bite of food again. I'm going to drink my water again, properly. All of it, a fresh start. So for me, doing the right thing to get those NSVs is my NSV for today.

That is not to say I'm going to go crazy in San An, I just don't want to worry about doing the right thing - like logging - when I know I may not be able to at times.

You know we will hold you to this, right? :)

I started today and I've done exactly as I said! And I'll do it again tomorrow. You know (essentially) where I live; you'll find me at the Wal Mart and hold me to it for sure...
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This is not exactly an NSV, but when Im shaving my legs in the tub and I am laying back...my spine hurts bc it sticks out more
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    When you're driving by taco bell and it's the first time your mouth waters for non-plan food (I love tb, I mean I reallllly love it.) I said out loud, "oh man, I miss taco bell."

...and husband says, "please dont. You're looking so good."

Omg...me too I LOVE LOVE TACO BELL
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    When you're driving by taco bell and it's the first time your mouth waters for non-plan food (I love tb, I mean I reallllly love it.) I said out loud, "oh man, I miss taco bell."

@KetoLady86 - I used to be a borderline Taco Bell addict, until I started making my taco meat at home. Even my NON-LC guy loves my meat more than theirs - and I can have as much of it as I want without paying an extra $1 per serving, or for extra cheese, extra sour cream or guacamole, etc.

I've tried a couple difference recipes, so I don't have one specific one. Generally, per pound of meat: 1 TBSP each of chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder, add in 1/2 of a beef bouillon cube (rounds out the flavor, lite salt/salt to taste. The cumin and bouillon weren't in the original recipe (pulled them from another one or my own head, don't remember), and you can add tomato sauce if you like, but I generally prefer a little less chili powder and a little more paprika...

I think I'm going on 2 years without Taco Bell now? Generally a Taco "salad" for me these days is meat, sour cream, sometimes ranch seasoning mix, sharp cheddar, salsa, and sometimes guacamole... The lettuce and I parted ways when my gallbladder started "ejecting them from the game." I might revisit now that I've addressed that issue... :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    This is not exactly an NSV, but when Im shaving my legs in the tub and I am laying back...my spine hurts bc it sticks out more

Just means you need to start rocking some heavy *kitten* deadlifts and rows to get those muscles built up around it. ;)
  • KetoLady86
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@KetoLady86 - I used to be a borderline Taco Bell addict, until I started making my taco meat at home. Even my NON-LC guy loves my meat more than theirs - and I can have as much of it as I want without paying an extra $1 per serving, or for extra cheese, extra sour cream or guacamole, etc.

I've tried a couple difference recipes, so I don't have one specific one. Generally, per pound of meat: 1 TBSP each of chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder, add in 1/2 of a beef bouillon cube (rounds out the flavor, lite salt/salt to taste. The cumin and bouillon weren't in the original recipe (pulled them from another one or my own head, don't remember), and you can add tomato sauce if you like, but I generally prefer a little less chili powder and a little more paprika...

I think I'm going on 2 years without Taco Bell now? Generally a Taco "salad" for me these days is meat, sour cream, sometimes ranch seasoning mix, sharp cheddar, salsa, and sometimes guacamole... The lettuce and I parted ways when my gallbladder started "ejecting them from the game." I might revisit now that I've addressed that issue... :)

Yummmm...omg..yumm
  • idocdlw
    idocdlw Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a friend from church about a week and a half ago regarding going keto because she was looking at cutting the garbage out of the diet of her family - focusing just on sugar and refined carbs. Her husband is diabetic and has not done well to manage it. His A1c is consistently in double digits. I believe she said his last one was around 12.5. She has struggled with weight (like most in our county) for many years, but has fortunately to this point not had any significant health issues.

She approached me after church yesterday to say she went keto on Tuesday. She said she told her husband what she was doing and that he didn't have to do it. He said he would. As of Sunday (less than a week into this), her husband has stopped taking his fast acting insulin at meal times and has had to cut the amount of slow acting insulin he takes at night. Even with that, his morning FBG has dropped from the 240's to the 120's.

She is completely thrilled, not just with that, but in how she is feeling and already seeing results in herself.

My NSV is I got to make a significant difference in 2 people's lives who have struggled - one with diabetes and the other with weight - for years and had all but given up hope that they could stop getting worse, let alone actually get better.

What an awesome, inspiring NSV! Yay for everyone!