Amelia's OMAD Journal: Failure, I will succeed, support and advice needed :)

Options
AmeliaOMAD
AmeliaOMAD Posts: 93 Member
edited November 2016 in Social Groups
Hi all you lovely people,
My name is Amelia.
Apologies, first of all, this isn't going to be short!
I thought I would post here to keep me accountable every day and not feel entirely alone in the woods.
I started OMAD 3 days ago, days one and two were great, beat the hunger, made it to my 5 o'clock meal.
Yesterday I crashed, hard. All day I felt hunger, yes, but that wasn't the problem, I felt like I had the 'flu, weak, exhausted, couldn't accomplish anything. Ended up having to eat at 3, but then overate, and had more than one meal. (needed sugar, which is unusual for me- yoghurt with coconut and nutella, yes strange combination!) I feel terrible, like I failed.
Today I start again.
Goal weight- 52-54 Kgs.
5 ft 2
Age-33
Weight- I do not have a scale where I live currently, but judging by looks I would say I am back up to 60 kilograms. I will probably buy a scale a little further down the track but I don't want to add another obsession to my disordered thinking in this moment. The way my jeans fit shall be my measure until then. (Right now, the bulge over the top is uncomfortable, but I refuse to buy a bigger size.)
Meal time- 3.30, pushing back 15 minutes every day. (I just moved to Italy (land of the shared and abundant dinner table) , and I want to eat dinner, normally, with my housemates. I think this is important, I'm a bit of a recluse at the moment.)
AIM: I want to conquer this. I am so tired of failing at every diet, at never being the size I would be most proud of. Of wearing clothes to hide my gut. Of feeling out of control, in every area of my life. Of not succeeding. I want to do this. I have always tried alone, so now I am turning to you guys, to keep my feet on the ground. I am sad, I am depressed, and I want to conquer it.

ALSO: I want to stay OMAD for life, not just to lose weight.

Just a note, I know my weight is not as much as it could be, but for me it's a psychological problem, constant food issues, bingeing, obsessive thoughts, secretive eating, you know the drill.

So I will check in here every day. Hopefully this rings a bell with some newbies, or old-bies, and someone wants to join me. At least it will be a progress account, if anyone is wondering how one can feel at different stages.
Ok: a couple of questions, maybe someone can help?
Calories? I don't want to under eat, leading to binges. I eat very well normally actually, fresh fruit and veg, tuna, eggs, etc. The quality of food isn't the problem for me (that's something I DID succeed at, after many years though), it's the quantity. Is anyone else losing on 1200 calories? is 1000 too low? Do I just fight through the flu-like feelings and exhaustion, and get used to 1000 per day? How long until I am not fighting so hard against the exhaustion?
At this point, being able to adjust to once a day with 1000-1200 calories is the most important thing. The weighing myself, like I said, can come later. Control first.
Anyone with experiences similar to mine, as in extreme fatigue and weakness in the first week. would be unbelievably welcome to comment.
I thank you all for reading, and just for being here!
And last of all, if anyone wants to join me, I'd be delighted, and glad to offer support as well:)

Replies

• AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Also: Notes! mistakes that may have led to binge yesterday.
    Did not keep up with my supplements (Been following the Diet Cure, by Julia Ross, I have to say that book helps immensely, I was very low on many amino acids): i.e. Glutamine and Chromium +Cinnamon (blood sugar), L-Tyrosine (energy), DLPA (focus and dopamine), 5-HTP (serotonin). This probably led to overeating from low energy and blood sugar.
    ALSO: did not take magnesium AFTER the (savory) meal. This stuff is amazing, kills a sugar craving. Magnesium is in Chocolate, hence why we crave chocolate. I just orally take about a 1/2tsp of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), cheap as chips, no ned to buy supplement.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    And: Teased myself with a pot of tea with lemon juice and stevia in it. Maybe for me personally, this is too much like food, leaving to a desire to eat. Chewed gum also, which for me ends to stimulate gastric activity, too similar to eating. Fishermans friends from now on.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome!

You are going to have to walk through the valley of the shadow of hunger being hungry. Yes, it is a very rough adaptation, but can be done.

Are you having sugar lows or sugar highs? Are you diabetic? Any major health struggles?
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Thanks for replying :) Not diabetic that I know, sugar highs I have when I eat a lot of sugar, which is rare but occasionally done when desperate for energy, but now I take tyrosine or chromium instead, which a great. But after a regular meal, no. I crash after sugar and wheat though, so avoid it. Sugar low, I guess, more my body telling me to fill up the tank.
    Major health struggles have been depression, which in the past (esp. winter) has led to carbohydrate binges to reclaim/ produce serotonin.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    How long can I expect for an adaptation? a week? 3? (If I can hope for something in the future, it might be a bit easier)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You are a few days ahead of me. I am on the cusp of starting OMAD. I'll be following your thread with interest.
    :)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    How long can I expect for an adaptation? a week? 3? (If I can hope for something in the future, it might be a bit easier)

Amelia-- Search OMAD on YouTube. Joe has some videos on there that tell you what to expect. The first week is most difficult as the body adapts to the changes.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    My name is Amelia.

I started OMAD 3 days ago, days one and two were great, beat the hunger, made it to my 5 o'clock meal. Yesterday I crashed, hard. All day I felt hunger, yes, but that wasn't the problem, I felt like I had the 'flu, weak, exhausted, couldn't accomplish anything...

Today I start again.
    Goal weight- 52-54 Kgs.
    5 ft 2
    Age-33
    Weight- I do not have a scale where I live currently, but judging by looks I would say
    60 Kgs.

... I will check in here every day. Hopefully this rings a bell with some newbies, or old-bies, and someone wants to join me. At least it will be a progress account, if anyone is wondering how one can feel at different stages.

Calories? I don't want to under eat, leading to binges. I eat very well normally actually, fresh fruit and veg, tuna, eggs, etc. The quality of food isn't the problem for me (that's something I DID succeed at, after many years though), it's the quantity. Is anyone else losing on 1200 calories? is 1000 too low? Do I just fight through the flu-like feelings and exhaustion, and get used to 1000 per day? How long until I am not fighting so hard against the exhaustion?

At this point, being able to adjust to once a day with 1000-1200 calories is the most important thing. The weighing myself, like I said, can come later. Control first.

Anyone with experiences similar to mine, as in extreme fatigue and weakness in the first week. would be unbelievably welcome to comment.

And last of all, if anyone wants to join me, I'd be delighted, and glad to offer support as well:)

As far as calories go, you can Google TDEE and calculate your estimated daily maintenance calories. Then you can subtract 250 calories a day to lose 0.5 pounds a week or 500 calories a day less to lose 1 pound a week. You are fairly close to goal so 2 pounds loss a week will likely be aggressive.

Also calculate your TDEE at GOAL weight. That way you will know what your ultimate daily calories will be when you want to maintain your 119 pounds for the long term and keep that at the back of your mind. You want to close the gap over time until you can stay that weight.

The flu-like symptoms do abate. The body is adjusting to the fasting period. Joe mentions expected time frames in his videos relating to OMAD.

You are dropping water weight and electrolytes so be sure to stay hydrated. It sounds like you are replenishing minerals so you're on top of it.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Fabulous DebSozo, Join me, we can cheer each other on! Yes, I've watched a few of his videos, I guess i was wondering about other people's personal experiences too.

So far so good today, a slight hunger, but not so bad (though hunger I can take, it was the awful lethargic, shaky, weak "something's horribly wrong" feeling I had yesterday that I couldn't take, that feeling like having influenza). I am wondering if yesterday's burn-out was due to the fact I ate 1100 calories the day before and it wasn't enough. Yesterday I had about 1700 calories (with the overeating "failure"), so I am just not sure whether it is best to get used to eating once a day then reduce calories, or do both at the same time and fight through.

Mealtime in an hour, I think I'll go halfway and try 1300 calorie meals for the next seven days and monitor that...

BTW if it helps anyone, I am eating protein(eggs, tuna), fat (good fat, like olive oil or butter), and low carb vegetables (tomatoes, capsicum, broccoli, etc). For me personally, upping the fat and protein and cutting out carbs and sugar(bread, potatoes, pasta, pastry, sugar, honey, etc) seriously stops the cravings and insatiable hunger urges, like I get on a more carb and sugar heavy diet.

Tomorrow will be interesting, Its the night of Jazz in Napoli tonight so I'll be heading out and may have a couple of glasses of wine (I know it's not in the plan, and I know alcohol is sugar, but a few social drinks a couple of times a week is something I can't cut out, good for my mind;) ),
    so I'll try not to overdo it so as to last through tomorrow after a couple of glasses tonight).
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I semi-started yesterday and did feel muscle aches and malaise. I don't look forward to the initial yucky symptoms for the first week or two, but I know that there is a reward at the end.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Have you OMADed before Deb? was it very successful for you?
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Have you OMADed before Deb? was it very successful for you?

I have done it in the past years ago. I lost 10 pounds in 3 months. I went from 130 pounds down to 120 pounds when I was 16 years old.

I was working as a trail guide in a recreational community in the Poconos as a summer job. I only ate dinner in the evening with the rest of the family but did not eat breakfast or lunch.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    See that's great in 3 months. Having gone through a LOT of disordered eating stuff, slower is better, even if it doesn't seem fast enough. We can do it! What's your goal this time?
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    My name is Amelia.
    Apologies, first of all, this isn't going to be short!
    I thought I would post here to keep me accountable every day and not feel entirely alone in the woods.
    I started OMAD 3 days ago, days one and two were great, beat the hunger, made it to my 5 o'clock meal.
    Yesterday I crashed, hard. All day I felt hunger, yes, but that wasn't the problem, I felt like I had the 'flu, weak, exhausted, couldn't accomplish anything. Ended up having to eat at 3, but then overate, and had more than one meal. (needed sugar, which is unusual for me- yoghurt with coconut and nutella, yes strange combination!) I feel terrible, like I failed.
    Today I start again.
    Goal weight- 52-54 Kgs.
    5 ft 2
    Age-33
    Weight- I do not have a scale where I live currently, but judging by looks I would say I am back up to 60 kilograms. I will probably buy a scale a little further down the track but I don't want to add another obsession to my disordered thinking in this moment. The way my jeans fit shall be my measure until then. (Right now, the bulge over the top is uncomfortable, but I refuse to buy a bigger size.)
    Meal time- 3.30, pushing back 15 minutes every day. (I just moved to Italy (land of the shared and abundant dinner table) , and I want to eat dinner, normally, with my housemates. I think this is important, I'm a bit of a recluse at the moment.)
    AIM: I want to conquer this. I am so tired of failing at every diet, at never being the size I would be most proud of. Of wearing clothes to hide my gut. Of feeling out of control, in every area of my life. Of not succeeding. I want to do this. I have always tried alone, so now I am turning to you guys, to keep my feet on the ground. I am sad, I am depressed, and I want to conquer it.

ALSO: I want to stay OMAD for life, not just to lose weight.

Just a note, I know my weight is not as much as it could be, but for me it's a psychological problem, constant food issues, bingeing, obsessive thoughts, secretive eating, you know the drill.

So I will check in here every day. Hopefully this rings a bell with some newbies, or old-bies, and someone wants to join me. At least it will be a progress account, if anyone is wondering how one can feel at different stages.

Welcome Amelia! We're so GLAD you're here! Checking in and posting regular will definitely help keep you on track and the accountability aspect is just so important and wonderful. As you post to share your journey and encourage others, something excellent happens--PROGRESS!

I love how you said this OMAD is going to be a lifestyle for you, that way of thinking will help you so much not only weight loss, but will help you conquer all kind of issues in your life you didn't even consider were associated with your weight.

Joe has most excellently posted a multitude of super helpful/instructive videos, that will answer all of your questions and more--so check them out and if you already have...look at them again!

Water and herbal teas will be your best friend in staving off hunger and a lot of the negative things you're experiencing. For me, when I forsake drinking lots of water daily, that blasted hunger/cravings constantly rear it's ugly head.

Lastly, we've GOT to remember, this OMAD lifestyle is not a sprint, it's a marathon. It took years and years and years of "programming" to help us get out of shape and in the heard mind-set of what's good for us and what bad for us, and what works and what doesn't. It's taken us a lifetime to get where we are, and with OMAD, in short order time, as you deal with hunger and your thinking...sooner than later it will all come together and will work out fine. Will you still struggle, of course...but it more of life's challenges (including eating) won't be that it gets "easier" it's really more of the case that you'll be getting stronger and stronger and develop the uncanny wisdom and strength to say "NO" to what's not good to/for you and YES to what's good to/for you.This OMAD lifestyle, it's more wonderful than words can describe.
    f1b2566a89355b852a02cf2641b4fa06.jpg

1b807c33c2d10412fb9ad10650601eb0.jpg

ae563a87f0445f2e0894eaae6ff2c9c6.jpg

tumblr_o17zzxYPCO1qc4uvwo1_500.gif
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I believe it's an individual thing/issue and how "serious" and committed you are to PERMANENTLY change. For me, it was about 3 days of suffering, before I got accustomed to it (only eating one meal per day and at the same time each day, no matter what)--but that is because I was 100% committed and fed up with my lifestyle of laziness, negative/nasty attitudes about just about everything, blaming all my issues and woes on everyone and everything except myself, or using some bogus self-destructive blaming of myself, but really not taking responsibility--just indulging in a yucky, unproductive game of pity parties, woe is me and selfishness, disguised as blaming myself. I was sick of obesity and yucky/stinkin thinkin ruling and reigning in my life--not to mention looking fat, flabby and unhealthy as all get out. I personally was ready for DRASTIC changes in my life, just ready to change from the inside out, no matter what. Everyone is different--so what may take someone 3 days to get into it, may take someone else 3 weeks more or less.... Watch this video, friend and after you watch it...watch it again :

The Power of Indecision (on Effort, Gimmicky, Inflexibility, and Faux Productivity)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKy6lx_KNM

THANKS JOE!!!!!! o:)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    See that's great in 3 months. Having gone through a LOT of disordered eating stuff, slower is better, even if it doesn't seem fast enough. We can do it! What's your goal this time?

I lose weight more slowly than I did then. Plus my start weight is higher now, I'm much older, and I am a few inches taller. But I've seen plenty succeed in their 50s like me.

My goal is to lose 10 pounds by April or May.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have gained weight steadily over the years and am now in high-normal BMI. I would love to get into mid-normal BMI.
  • DebSozo
    Options

I tried eating 2 meals a day but just stayed on maintenance with that. I'm hoping the 1 meal a day will be "just right".
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Yes Deb, I hear you. Last year was my lowest in my adult life (56kg) and I felt brilliant, but then cue a bout of winter depression and it all came back. Since then I've been trying various methods but all have failed, or I have failed them, not sure, just haven't been able to shift anything at all. I think I screwed up in the first place by losing a lot of weight on a very low calorie diet, then the binge eating made its appearance.
    What day do you start?

OMADing1, Thank you so much for all this support, I can feel it shining at me through the screen of my keyboard :) How long have you been OMAD?
    Yes I understand you, I have/had exactly the same issues, mental guilt and gymnastics, etc. I don't want to be another statistic. I don't want the self loathing that comes knowing I have failed to keep my word to myself. I want to cross that river and join you over there, not be stuck in the "purgatory" of this side of the banks.
    I want to do it because I want this change to carry into other areas of my life too.

Day 1 Update: probably a bad day to start OMAD as I was going out for the evening, but while technically not OMAD, this is what I did:
    Kept up with my supplements! (chromium and cinnamon, l-tyrosine, glutamine, DLPA, no 5-HTP which is sad because I absolutely love the stuff but it brought my acne back, another struggle). I am on these supplements from years of serious neurochemical/ neurotransmitter imbalance, and my gosh they make a difference. Sometimes overeating is NOT your fault, something might be broken. (Thanks psychologist Julia Ross) Oh, and magnesium after the meal.
    I hope this is not too much information, but many reasons contribute to these imbalances. For me, I am an ex-alcoholic with clinical depression, so my dopamine and serotonin were virtually non-existent, which led to a transfer of addiction from alcohol to food. My body was searching for something and not getting it. These things apply to food addictions too, guys. Be kind on yourself.

Ate about a 700 calorie meal (my daily allotment was 1300) and was satisfied! even waited until 4:30pm instead of 3:30, it was a breeze. Had 2 glasses of wine at the jazz concert (and my friend's chicken meatball that she didn't want from her dinner).Yes I know these things add up, but I want to be honest with you and myself.
    Came home around midnight (I get up at 5am usually, long day) and had a small capsicum, tomato and pesto (10g) salad with about 10 grams of parmesan cheese. Normally when I drink alcohol I'm ravenous, so despite this fact, I did well, I think. I know this sounds like I am justifying a non-OMAD day to myself, but I don't have children and probably never will, so this kind of social life is incredibly important to me, that is my "child", so to say, it sustains me.
    I ate and drank less than I normally would, and I'm determined to be OMAD at all times with occasional evenings out, eating and drinking "normally" (i.e. moderately).

Today I feel good, have a student at 11, will write some lessons plans after that, clean the house, work on the photography and Italian to keep busy, eat at 4:30 (1300 calories) and be happy.
    Mid next week I will re-introduce exercise. (Bodyweight and Samba dancing), and hopefully be at a mealtime of 5:30-6:00 pm, ad work on getting down to 1150-1200 calories.

The reason I am updating this with so much information is to keep me on track and have a record of what is working, what is not, and also if anyone wants pointers or details on what I am doing, if it worked for me, and if they can then incorporate it into their own program.

Many thanks DebSozo, and OMADing1, and all of you!
    Deb, I hope to lose 7 kilos by April, so 15 pounds. I will join you on this April Journey. I don't know about you, but like I said, that isn't the end. I am in it for life.
    You don't know how much of a help this logging system is to me. I have always been a "lurker" on the internet, never commented on anything, so I am very happy to finally have a place to use my voice, in a productive way. Good luck today everyone, you can all do it!
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Also: no scale so I'm measuring my starting point. around 60 kilos.(recording this for self) Tape measure on "gut" :) (below belly button but not at hips):33.5 in. waist:30.75 in.