Amelia's OMAD Journal: Failure, I will succeed, support and advice needed :)

Options

Replies

• mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Amelia...i want to add you as a friend, but when I click your name, mfp says your not there.....can you help? Maybe add me instead?? <3
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi Deb and MadGirl,

You guys are so right, than you so much for the info!
    To be completely honest with you, I am terribly frightened that I am different to everyone else. I have tried so hard to lose weight this year and NOTHING has worked. I feel so stuck, like it is never going to change. Like somehow what will work for everyone else just won't work for me, and I'll be stuck with this round middle for ever, shaped like a frog :wink: I've cut calories (and even booze, mostly, used to have 1-4 glasses semi-daily) and even that hasn't changed anything,in fact in the 4 weeks prior to starting OMAD I even gained. I feel really lousy about the whole thing, I feel like I'm fighting my body.

I have been comforted by the thought that I may have not been counting my calories as well as I thought, and therefore lying to myself. If that was indeed the case, then OMAD and strict calorie counting WILL work, but what if I have been spot on, and somehow the weight just won't budge?

MadGirl I'd love some advice, and to know what your lifestyle is like. Would you mind telling me whether you exercise, and if so how much? An how many calories are you eating daily on OMAD, what's your schedule? I'm blown away by your loss, congratulations! Maybe if I had a guideline of calories in-out from someone else I can have something to work from... had you struggled much in the past with weight loss? And hello Malta! Maybe if I squint at the horizon I could imagine Malta there...

Deb, good on you! That is so awesome! I just bought some coconut oil too. I can't believe I forgot the other major thing too: This morning I was dead zombie tired and starving, then CHUGGED back a LOT of water and suddenly woke up, hunger pangs retreated. I had been sipping it through this but I forgot to actually fill the tank up with water, so to say, to dull the hunger. :/
    Yes, you are right, the last 10 is so hard. I just want it to move, to see any shift would be lovely. I guess that's why I haven't go the scale yet, too bloody scared that after all this it won't make a difference. I WILL get a scale this week and let you know, but.. oh :(....

Would anyone mind comparing stats with me? Deb or Mad Girl or both? so I can troubleshoot any weight loss problems and see if I'm doing it the same way as you?
    I went here: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    and got
    Your BMR Is: 1270
    Your TDEE Is: 1461
    (I plugged in sedentary, no exercise. I figured I'd go with worst case scenario, in case I don't get exercise in and I don't want to overestimate energy out).
    So according to this, if I try to eat enough without going mad hunger wise and breaking OMAD, but still being in your 250 calorie deficit (Deb), I should eat 1200 calories.
    Should this work? I know theoretically yes, but like I said, the fear, oh the fear, of being somehow different to everyone else :(

I and we've (you and me) have GOT to get a handle on our thoughts and turn them around, no matter how impossible or unreal they feel like. Example, we've GOT to see that our feelings many times are simply not true, no matter how true they feel. Example...I caught myself this morning calling my stomach "gross" looking. I checked that REAL quick (because I'm purposely recognizing negative thoughts/spirits and how they love to claim me, by inspiring me to "speak" the words on how I feel. So, what I did was say out loud, THAT'S A LIE, my stomach doesn't look gross, I'm in the process of permanently ridding this unwanted fat off of my body, and I'm looking GOOD, period. I literally said that outloud. I practicing this and getting to the place where the thoughts I think are not always mine, and I don't have to own them nor claim them anymore, period. I'll purposely think the opposite and SAY the opposite. I've spent a lifetime "cursing" myself, and those days are over, period.

When you say "To be completely honest with you, I am terribly frightened that I am different to everyone else. " that's a lie, period--fear is a lying spirit/attitude/thought that is miserable and self-destructive and wants company--you and me and how fear gets us to become it's slave is by believing it and giving it life in us by agreeing with it and speaking it out--sounds simple or even wacky, but like most truth, it's TRUE. It's just not true that you're so different from everyone else that you can't succeed and kick royal butt succeeding too--it's a lie, period. We've got some major league casting out of spirits/things in our lives that causing us all kinds of mess and the number one spirit to begin renouncing and casting out everytime it whispers in our ears or shouts with the things we see or feel is FEAR! The number 2 enemy to banish from our thoughts and lives and continually cast out/off until it's GONE is a best friend of fear, ANGER--starting with these two and working our way down to other mess that's been dogging our lives for years...These are some of the things OMAD is/has teaching me. I know "negative word/curse fasting" will help you too. Yeah...here comes the thoughts that "ugh, that's too hard to do--cast down and out thoughts that are against me and replace them with thoughts and then speak words that are for me", but that's a lie too...it's not hard. Practice makes better.

When you say "I have been comforted by the thought that I may have not been counting my calories as well as I thought, and therefore lying to myself." I'm thinking WOW, this is one power-filled woman who will accomplish EVERYTHING she's dreaming of, because she's tough and dares to see the truth and speak it out and more important, do something positive about it...that's power honey, raw, I aint playing with this mess no more, sheer strength and power and I LOVE IT--BOOM!!!!!

Let's help each other in this area of "fasting" too, okay? B)

You're doing great and you're being here is helping so many people, including me!!!

c4fdb684a4e66a2e236e6cffbc747dce.jpg

f1b2566a89355b852a02cf2641b4fa06.jpg

a2de770f82fac2f9fbacb985ba808536.jpg

tumblr_m217ucmoOT1qc4uvwo1_400.jpg

large.gif
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I think it is dangerous to have a goal that is too hard to keep. Slow and steady wins the race. When I started OMAD I jumped straight into it. I would take protein supps and vitamins with my evening meal because I felt like it reduced cravings for the next day. I also tried eat a fruit/yoghurt smoothy and something from all the food groups. I would usually top it off with a desert. I did count calories and set my goal cals to my maint cals. My minimum goal was to make maint cals and have a significant deficit below that if I could. Myfitness pal then told me I met my goal when I just met maint cals which I liked. I didn't like it not telling me that I had met my goal when i had a 500 cal deficit but was supposed to have a bigger one (when I set my goal at some lower than maint cals). The only limiting of food I did was when I started getting above maint cals which I think was estimated at about 2300 cals when I started. I would end up eating usually between 1800 to 2500 cals. Occasionally I would go up to 3000 cals (yes I can put that down in an evening). I exercised a lot. I lost faster than what was predicted by logging the food cals and the exercise.

Everyone is different but I think a good guiding principle is not have too aggressive or too slow of goals (too fast and get too hungry and can't keep it up, too slow and seems like not getting anywhere). Just keep with it and be patient.

I know people say not to weigh themselves often but I have always weighed myself usually 2-3 times/day. I weigh myself when I go to bed, when I get up and sometimes after a workout. When I do that, I can see how my weight varies when I eat salty things and retain water, or have a cheat day, etc. I know what to expect and what things are doing to me. I think if a person weighs themselves only once/week they do run some risk that the measurement is taken on a retaining water day and that could possibly be discouraging. But then again, most people say don't weigh often so I guess most shouldn't but for me it is good. Do what works for you!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I know people say not to weigh themselves often but I have always weighed myself usually 2-3 times/day. I weigh myself when I go to bed, when I get up and sometimes after a workout. When I do that, I can see how my weight varies when I eat salty things and retain water, or have a cheat day, etc. I know what to expect and what things are doing to me. I think if a person weighs themselves only once/week they do run some risk that the measurement is taken on a retaining water day and that could possibly be discouraging. But then again, most people say don't weigh often so I guess most shouldn't but for me it is good. Do what works for you!

I weigh myself frequently as well...for the same reason. I want to learn. Plus any small decrease in weight motivates me and any small increase pushes me to work harder and stay focused on my goal.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    AmeliaOMAD Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You guys are brilliant, BRILLIANT. Thank you so much for your support. I'm starving now, really, really hungry. Mealtime isn't until 4, I have an hour and a half to go and I'm real cold too. I'm getting into bed with my Italian homework and not budging til 4. We can do it. Will report back later.
    Oh yesterdya was good, thought it was going to be a bust after the hungry morning, but made it no problems. This hunger thing is a beast isn't it, you never know when it's going to rear it's ugly head.
    Man I hope this gets easier, but I'm carrying your well wishes under the blanket with me:) Thank you all so much!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You guys are brilliant, BRILLIANT. Thank you so much for your support. I'm starving now, really, really hungry. Mealtime isn't until 4, I have an hour and a half to go and I'm real cold too. I'm getting into bed with my Italian homework and not budging til 4. We can do it. Will report back later.
    Oh yesterdya was good, thought it was going to be a bust after the hungry morning, but made it no problems. This hunger thing is a beast isn't it, you never know when it's going to rear it's ugly head.
    Man I hope this gets easier, but I'm carrying your well wishes under the blanket with me:) Thank you all so much!

I did have a bit of whey protein in a little almond "milk" yesterday about an hour and a half before dinner because i was ravenous. The protein shake calmed the hangries. But I'm expecting that I will close the eating window even smaller very soon.
  • OMADing1
    Options

You're doing GREAT! It's not so much that it gets easier for me (the hunger--which I stave off by loading up on water and herbal teas), but instead that I'm getting stronger and stronger day by day, understanding that hunger like other issues and problems in life are going to happen and I'll deal with it and handle it, instead of allowing it to deal with and handle me. You getting stronger and stronger too, I can tell already!

• mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    yeah, the hunger will go down as your tummy gets smaller keep up your drinks =)
  • blambo61
    Options

I had another extra hungry day to day and the coconut oil got me through again. Probably didn't have even 100 cals tell 6:00 tonight.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Drink lots of water for sure!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    yeah, the hunger will go down as your tummy gets smaller keep up your drinks =)

Embracing the hunger is making the dinner taste so enjoyable.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Right, I am back, sorry for my delay, I love to reply to everyone.

Kitty I'm having a problem with the MFP thing, I've changed my username but it reverts back to the old one and doesn't allow me to change again, there must be some glitch in the system. I'll add you when I'm finished this report. AND I've been following your thread, good on you, is such an understatement. I'm also from Australia, and though I quit cigarettes, I vape now, so chain vape through the day at the moment to get through it! It's another oral fixation but I say, let us not worry about that at the moment, one thing at a time! enjoy your delightful cigarettes. You are doing brilliantly, you are such an inspiration to me, you all are. I am so glad to hear my tummy will shrink and the hunger will go down. It's the old primal urge isn't it. I can fight the "Psychological" hunger, but the primal one, your body telling you to go hunt, to fill up, is very different and a tougher beast to slay.

Deb: I'm here with you! I am so glad have you by my side on this journey too! By the way, I'm counting my "official" start as as Monday this week due to the "mess ups" (I'm calling it "figuring out what works") from last week, so we are together, all the way, woo! Keep going Deb, your determination is there, you can't be perfect from day one, you have to go gradually, keep being kind to yourself, you deserve nothing less:) I woke up feeling smaller today. Maybe my imagination, but its a good feeling. Let's count your banished pound and my feeling smaller as huge progress. But you know what the major progress is, before the weight? The fact that we are even doing this. That is huge. We have made decision to commit to ourselves. That is something to be congratulated, big time!

OMADing1: I don't even know how to express in words how much your posts to me of support have brightened my world. I feel so much less alone. It's that warm feeling that carries over through my entire day, my interactions outside of this, in my whole life. It's that same feeling of going about your day, at work, at school, facing the world, and knowing, in the back of your mind, that someone at home loves you, has cooked your dinner, and done your laundry, and is looking out for you. Warm fuzzies indeed. I just thought I'd let you know that all your activity on here really affects people.

Bob: You are fantastic! I had a look at your threads too, WOW! How long have you been on OMAD? You are a changed man. All your advice has been so helpful. I went and bought some coconut oil and yesterday afternoon had some before I jumped into bed (for warmth). Both helped wonderfully. All I can say is thanks a million for being here :), for me, for everyone, and a thousand times, for yourself!

And of course, Joe, you have changed all our lives. Permanently. without you, well... where would we all be?

Report: Yesterday was tough. TOUGH i tells ya, but I did it. I made it through to my window.
    1300 calories.

Notes: stay warm guys. It's winter (we don't have heating in the homes in Napoli). If it means working from home, do it. As soon as you are cold, man, that hunger, your inner furnace calling for another log on the fire (food) will ramp up, big time.)
    Exercise wise, I'm finding that it's jacking my hunger, way too much. So I'm going to do just the 20 minutes of light weights/ body weight/ type thing for toning, and because it makes my mental state lovely. Cardio can be forgotten, at this moment in time, until I adjust and I'm close to maintenance.
    Also: I don't eat wheat, starchy veg, or sugar (long story with food addictions, but I plan to reintroduce them when I'm at maintenance). For one, they make me ravenous. 2: I binge on them. 3: my body really hangs on to them.
    Therefore, currently, my meals have been consisting of low carb vegetables (cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum, etc), eggs, olive oil, hard cheeses(I am so sad I live in this country, the land of mozzarella, and yet soft fresh cheese makes me break out in acne, oh how I weep).
    To make up to the 1300 calories, my plates have been HUGE! (vegetables= volume for calories), therefore feeling like a very uncomfortable beached whale after the meal. This might not help me with shrinking my stomach?
    Heading to markets today buy some calorie dense food. will add some cream, some nuts, more cheese, more olives, to my diet (still keeping veggies of course), but to try to reduce the volume of food I need to consume. I'll make some chocolate this afternoon too (hard to find sugar free stuff) and make a little space for that. Psychologically, this will help also with the whole "restrict yourself, you are never allowed calorie dense goodies again" mindset I've had for years from punishing myself with failed weight regimes, food addictions and binge cycles.

Today is DAY FIVE! Btw, even though I don't have a scale yet, I did take pics at the start, so maybe one day I'll post them.

Right, wall of text finished, thanks for reading!:)
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Well lets say there is no diet plan that will help you, can you give OMAD 6 weeks? If you find that it did nothing you won't be wasting time not being on a different diet since it is your theory that they wouldn't work either. If it works well than YAYY!

6 weeks. No results? Then stop. You don't need to commit to doing this forever from now! Commit to six weeks. if it doesn't help we'll try to find something that works for you.

I'll do the TDEE thing and we can compare :)

Okay so my lifestyle...
    I started the first two weeks doing http://www.noholita.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/KI-Bikini-Body-Training-Guide.pdf. I found this really tough and couldn't do these in one go.

End of week 2/ beginning of week 3 I walked to work and back (2 hours in total - also translated to 11000 steps on average) for three days

Then I got sick (chest infection), and I'm doing nothing now.

I don't count calories. I can start if you would like. Generally I do 2MAD on Weekends but I keep these meals light and try to take lunch as late as possible.

On Monday night I ate at 9:30pm and for dinner I had around 8 small chocolate wafers, 3 pieces of licorice, chicken pie, wedges and a handful of pomegranate. I don't drink soft drinks with dinner even though we're allowed to because I'm not that much of a fan and rather either eat something with sugar than drink it. I think drinking sugar is a whole lot worse but some people prefer it over eating a piece of licorice. I couldn't finish the wedges. Too much food for me.

Yesterday I ate ravioli with tomato sauce and a whole roll of luncheon chicken meat. My mistake was that I ate at 5pm (the chicken luncheon meat) and then dinner at 9:30pm. I'll try not to do it again.

You're a similar weight and age as I am. I would suggest you do get a scale. Sometimes results show themselves on the scale, sometimes using the measuring tape. It's pretty random, so best measure with both. I got mine for about 10-20 euros. Even if money is tight at the moment, try to invest in one of these. OMAD saves you money from your grocery bill and I think you would benefit from seeing some sort of result.

1MADGIRL, thank you so such for this, you're a star! I LOVE your "diet", that is brilliant that you are eating these yummy foods and still losing. You are a huge inspiration to me. No, you don't have to count calories for me, I just appreciate the guideline of what you are doing personally. Ohh I love licorice too, if fact licorice tea is my absolute favorite at the moment. No I don't do soft drinks either, just tea at the moment. I'm about to head to the markets, I'll grab me a scale when I'm there... Thank you so much for all the info, it's a huge help.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Ameliabatemanphotography, I have discovered increasing fats to be a miracle for me. It blunts appetite and increases satiety.

Bob may be right that you are eating too few calories. You figured TDEE based on sedentary. But maybe you should recalculate at "lightly active". Look at description for lightly active and see. Otherwise you will be tired and burn yourself out. Food is not the enemy. It is a fuel to keep you going in a healthy manner.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    True Deb! I have thought about that. At the moment it's a mix, I'm spending a lot of time sat on my hump studying or preparing lessons plans so I don't have time for much exercise (which is a bummer, I LOVE walking, in particular, used to cover about 10 kms daily, wonderful meditation), so I'm just sticking with sedentary at the moment and anything else is a bonus.
    Yesterday I was starving despite the fact I ate 1200 the day before, the same of starving as tuesday when I only ate 900 on Monday, so maybe it's just something I'm going to have to fight regardless of intake at this moment in time.But yes, I'll stick with minimum 1100 calories.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Have you borrowed or bought a scale yet? It will be nice, as difficult as it is, for you to know starting weight. That way you can compute your BMI. I don't like my weight either and didn't weigh for years. Then when I did I had gotten into mildly overweight. It was a wakeup call.

I've brought weight down 10 pounds to get into high normal BMI and still have another 10 to go to get me into middle normal BMI

I hate weighing, so if I can tell myself weighing has a necessity for me to stay in normal BMI it relaxes me a bit. I hate the pressure I feel when I start seeing fluctuations.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    True Deb! I have thought about that. At the moment it's a mix, I'm spending a lot of time sat on my hump studying or preparing lessons plans so I don't have time for much exercise (which is a bummer, I LOVE walking, in particular, used to cover about 10 kms daily, wonderful meditation), so I'm just sticking with sedentary at the moment and anything else is a bonus.
    Yesterday I was starving despite the fact I ate 1200 the day before, the same of starving as tuesday when I only ate 900 on Monday, so maybe it's just something I'm going to have to fight regardless of intake at this moment in time.But yes, I'll stick with minimum 1100 calories.

Have you thought about strength training? You can start out with body weight training which can easily be done free at home with a searich on YouTube tutorials.

The benefit is that you will see definition in your body and a change in body shape. I'm working on posture and holding in abdomen. This really helps with overall appearance and projects confidence out to the world.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has great indoor walking videos for inclement weather.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    yes actually I love bodyweight/ weight stuff. There's a lot of nice ones I do at home. Good ones on youtube too:)
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Right, I am back, sorry for my delay, I love to reply to everyone.

Kitty I'm having a problem with the MFP thing, I've changed my username but it reverts back to the old one and doesn't allow me to change again, there must be some glitch in the system. I'll add you when I'm finished this report. AND I've been following your thread, good on you, is such an understatement. I'm also from Australia, and though I quit cigarettes, I vape now, so chain vape through the day at the moment to get through it! It's another oral fixation but I say, let us not worry about that at the moment, one thing at a time! enjoy your delightful cigarettes. You are doing brilliantly, you are such an inspiration to me, you all are. I am so glad to hear my tummy will shrink and the hunger will go down. It's the old primal urge isn't it. I can fight the "Psychological" hunger, but the primal one, your body telling you to go hunt, to fill up, is very different and a tougher beast to slay.

Deb: I'm here with you! I am so glad have you by my side on this journey too! By the way, I'm counting my "official" start as as Monday this week due to the "mess ups" (I'm calling it "figuring out what works") from last week, so we are together, all the way, woo! Keep going Deb, your determination is there, you can't be perfect from day one, you have to go gradually, keep being kind to yourself, you deserve nothing less:) I woke up feeling smaller today. Maybe my imagination, but its a good feeling. Let's count your banished pound and my feeling smaller as huge progress. But you know what the major progress is, before the weight? The fact that we are even doing this. That is huge. We have made decision to commit to ourselves. That is something to be congratulated, big time!

OMADing1: I don't even know how to express in words how much your posts to me of support have brightened my world. I feel so much less alone. It's that warm feeling that carries over through my entire day, my interactions outside of this, in my whole life. It's that same feeling of going about your day, at work, at school, facing the world, and knowing, in the back of your mind, that someone at home loves you, has cooked your dinner, and done your laundry, and is looking out for you. Warm fuzzies indeed. I just thought I'd let you know that all your activity on here really affects people.

Bob: You are fantastic! I had a look at your threads too, WOW! How long have you been on OMAD? You are a changed man. All your advice has been so helpful. I went and bought some coconut oil and yesterday afternoon had some before I jumped into bed (for warmth). Both helped wonderfully. All I can say is thanks a million for being here :), for me, for everyone, and a thousand times, for yourself!

And of course, Joe, you have changed all our lives. Permanently. without you, well... where would we all be?

Report: Yesterday was tough. TOUGH i tells ya, but I did it. I made it through to my window.
    1300 calories.

Notes: stay warm guys. It's winter (we don't have heating in the homes in Napoli). If it means working from home, do it. As soon as you are cold, man, that hunger, your inner furnace calling for another log on the fire (food) will ramp up, big time.)
    Exercise wise, I'm finding that it's jacking my hunger, way too much. So I'm going to do just the 20 minutes of light weights/ body weight/ type thing for toning, and because it makes my mental state lovely. Cardio can be forgotten, at this moment in time, until I adjust and I'm close to maintenance.
    Also: I don't eat wheat, starchy veg, or sugar (long story with food addictions, but I plan to reintroduce them when I'm at maintenance). For one, they make me ravenous. 2: I binge on them. 3: my body really hangs on to them.
    Therefore, currently, my meals have been consisting of low carb vegetables (cabbage, tomatoes, capsicum, etc), eggs, olive oil, hard cheeses(I am so sad I live in this country, the land of mozzarella, and yet soft fresh cheese makes me break out in acne, oh how I weep).
    To make up to the 1300 calories, my plates have been HUGE! (vegetables= volume for calories), therefore feeling like a very uncomfortable beached whale after the meal. This might not help me with shrinking my stomach?
    Heading to markets today buy some calorie dense food. will add some cream, some nuts, more cheese, more olives, to my diet (still keeping veggies of course), but to try to reduce the volume of food I need to consume. I'll make some chocolate this afternoon too (hard to find sugar free stuff) and make a little space for that. Psychologically, this will help also with the whole "restrict yourself, you are never allowed calorie dense goodies again" mindset I've had for years from punishing myself with failed weight regimes, food addictions and binge cycles.

Today is DAY FIVE! Btw, even though I don't have a scale yet, I did take pics at the start, so maybe one day I'll post them.

Right, wall of text finished, thanks for reading!:)

I think you've got a GREAT plan going on there with your food. I'm so GLAD you've discovered that over-exercising is not a friend while living OMAD, unless you super close to maintenance and even then...since you're just starting, to cut back is so wise. You're doing wonderful, period. I'll tell ya what, for me, eating "fats" like you've described is so wonderful for weight loss for me too. Sounds great. Happy day five, you winner YOU!

Amelia, what you wrote to me and about the other gang here, wow...I feel tears welling up in my eyes, thinking about what you've said about me. That's my very mission in life, to be light and a blessing to others, always. It's soooo utterly amazing to me, that how when I help and encourage others, it comes right back to me and then some. Your words have encouraged me something fabulous--Thank you my friend! <3o:)<3