Amelia's OMAD Journal: Failure, I will succeed, support and advice needed :)

Options

Replies

• AmeliaOMAD
    AmeliaOMAD Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Missed you too Deb! How is it going?

HungerisPower: Welcome! Might I say, I've had a *kitten* few weeks and henceforth it's been a struggle to stay on Omad- don't give up! You can get back on that horse if you fall.
    Sure, what would you like to know?

Start weight: circa 60
    Start measurements:
    waist 30.75, "gut" 33.5

about 3 weeks in:
    waist 29.75, "gut" 32.75

saturday morning(christmas eve)
    weight 58 kgs. (I am discounting .5 off that to make it 57.5, for my vanity but also because the night before was a massive feast, hadn't been to the loo for several days, and had just drunk a pile of water. Probably more than .5 off, but let's not get too cheeky:) )
    waist 29.5, "gut" 33 (but again, above factors may have ballooned it a bit.)

First two weeks of OMAD I was eating between 1200-1600 cals a day in the meal. Vegetables and some kind of protein and fat, then maybe like a fruit and yoghurt type bonanza for dessert. Yes I was like a whale after the meal.

Didn't see changes (the changes may have been happening but I was impatient) until i went down to 5-800 calories a day. I do NOT recommend this to anyone, it isn't a long term thing, it's just what I had to do.I do not recommend this unless you have worn a well trodden path of food triggers and eating disorders, and are aware that this might f you up psychologically. I have walked that line in the past, and I know the dangers of it.

Then everything kind of slid downhill, about 3 weeks ago. Was seeing the man too much and hence being fed(kind of hard to have evening dates without dinner, couldn't wait until Italian dinnertime (9/10 pm, had to eat something in the afternoon to top up energy ), I couldn't coordinate my days to have a meal and be social due to energy levels, my schedule went out of whack, had friends here from another country, had to wage a very big war with depression, dropping serotonin, along wth stress of sorting my life out after a big move to a new country, work crises, and severely low iron, shaky household situation, amongst other things.

I don't want to wail and gnash my teeth here. Everyone has their problems in life, least of all me. I stuffed up, I couldn't keep up Omad through all this, it's on me, it's my fault. But I'm determined to keep trying. I know I DO feel good on Omad, and those days where I ate more than one meal, I was astonished at how much food it was, I knew I didn't need it. I can't believe I use to eat three (or more) times day, so much food.

After the big blowout, I will keep going. I will post a weigh in on saturday morning and measurements to see what is left of the damage after a week back on Omad.

I've put the man on the back burner (he has things he needs to sort out too, so it's kindly done) while I attend to myself for a few weeks, get my own personal power back in life.
    I've spend the last few days writing a schedule of the things i need, and want, to do to get the life I want.

Don't give up. Don't.
    If there was anything else you wanted to know, let me know.
    Oh! P.s. My goal weight is 55 kilos. (revised from 52. I looked great at 56 last year, I don't need to be skinny skinny. I still wanna eat cake and live a bit too, without being totally food disordered.)
    Oh! and ps- Omad helped me kick the remnants of my years long alcohol dependency. (ex-severe-alcoholic)
    I now longer drink unless it's a social event, like once a week, and then I kind of have one or two and don't want anymore. Yes!

p.p.s apologies for the essay!
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Yes Deb! Your body is a system, don't feel bad on yourself if weight won't budge, something might be out of whack and it ISN't your fault my dear.
    The D has just started kicking in for me, as well as the Iron. Energy levels way up, cravings down. I use a light too, and do something physical each day, either forcing myself out for a stroll, or just 10 minutes of weights/ toning exercises or some dancing. I do this for my HEAD, exercise doesn't make much of a difference in weight for me.
    Other supplements I take (I'm a bit broken;) )that massively help me are:
    DLPA- Dopamine.
    5-HTP- Serotonin.
    Fish oil.
    Chromium and cinnamon-blood sugar.
    B's and C's
    L-Tyrosine

Seriously. The body is a system. If your car isn't working as it should, you get it checked. You don't just say the car is a failure. We know there is something under the hood.
    These supplements have made a huge difference in my food cravings and mental health.
    Get checked/or diagnosed, if possible, for Vitamin D, Iron, Serotonin and Dopamine(these two are more diagnostic not blood work ones, but look up online),Thyroid, and anything else they do at the same time, if your insurance allows it (I think you are in the states?)

I highly recommend a woman called Julia Ross- her books The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure. She has done extensive research from years of psychological support in the fields of addiction (drugs, alcohol etc) and has made a lot of connections between amino acids, nutrition and deficiencies and behavioral issues.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Wish you the best. Keep on plugging away at it and most things usually get better!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on an upswing and sorting things out. It's too bad your date wouldn't agree to eat at a time that works better for you. I wouldn't be able to wait until 10 pm to eat either.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Thanks Blambo! Sending hugs, and joy for a new year!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    The stress-B vitamin complex helps me cut cravings. I do think I get depleted as I unfortunately have ongoing stress that cannot be avoided.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've been feeling bad. I hope you get better soon. ♥
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Sorry you had such a difficult last couple of weeks, Amelia. I'm glad you are taking time to concentrate on taking care of yourself and are turning things around.

Try not to go really low on the calories or you may burn yourself out. We were planning on losing 10 pounds over 5 months, remember? So we have time to do this slowly. It will stay off better too.

It sounds like you are making big adjustments in your life and are under a lot of stress. Try to find some fun and relaxing things. Please take care of yourself.

May you have a happy new year 2017! I do have faith that you are at a pivotal point, and you are going to see positive changes.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    So good to hear, Amelia!

Keep at it, girl!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    AmeliaOMAD wrote: »
    Yes Deb! Your body is a system, don't feel bad on yourself if weight won't budge, something might be out of whack and it ISN't your fault my dear.
    The D has just started kicking in for me, as well as the Iron. Energy levels way up, cravings down. I use a light too, and do something physical each day, either forcing myself out for a stroll, or just 10 minutes of weights/ toning exercises or some dancing. I do this for my HEAD, exercise doesn't make much of a difference in weight for me.
    Other supplements I take (I'm a bit broken;) )that massively help me are:
    DLPA- Dopamine.
    5-HTP- Serotonin.
    Fish oil.
    Chromium and cinnamon-blood sugar.
    B's and C's
    L-Tyrosine

Seriously. The body is a system. If your car isn't working as it should, you get it checked. You don't just say the car is a failure. We know there is something under the hood.
    These supplements have made a huge difference in my food cravings and mental health.
    Get checked/or diagnosed, if possible, for Vitamin D, Iron, Serotonin and Dopamine(these two are more diagnostic not blood work ones, but look up online),Thyroid, and anything else they do at the same time, if your insurance allows it (I think you are in the states?)

I highly recommend a woman called Julia Ross- her books The Mood Cure and The Diet Cure. She has done extensive research from years of psychological support in the fields of addiction (drugs, alcohol etc) and has made a lot of connections between amino acids, nutrition and deficiencies and behavioral issues.

I'm really, really sorry you've been having a rough patch. Is it getting any better for you now?

can you recommend any supplements for Serotonin and dopamine?

• AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Yes Deb you are absolutely right. I've bumped back up again, while I get back into the swing of things. And our goals are still there! we'll get there, you watch.
    Thanks a million to all :)

MADGIRL, yes, miles better, thank you so much! Brain is a lot healthier, I know when that is happening because I begin to have compassion for myself again rather than automatic intrusive negative thoughts.
    I am on anti-depressants, which act by making available for use the serotonin you have. (A function of depression is that the brain blocks these receptors).
    However, this is only of use in so far as the amount of serotonin you are producing, therefore that needs a boost too.

To answer your question, for serotonin, we need vitamin D, which of course comes mainly from the sun (hello winter).
    So I highly recommend Vitamin D3, and importantly, Fish oil (or an equivalent, cod liver, etc).
    However it can take a while for your stores to build up again. I'm coming good now after 2 weeks on Vitamin D. I get mine from "bulk powders" (.it, maybe they post to malta? But you can also get it from the pharmacy)
    The second one I use is 5htp (online also, eBay) This is a brilliant one. It works fairly immediately. It is a plant extract, and is synthesized into serotonin, helping it also cross the blood-brain barrier.
    So Vitamin D aids your body in the natural production of serotonin, and 5htp is akin to ingesting serotonin.

Dopamine is a great one because it aids also in focus. (Brain fog and lack of motivation, anyone?, natural symptom of lowered serotonin and depression, as WELL as a.d.d symptoms, lots of stuff really.) Increases natural feeling of well being, and that things are worth achieving.
    DLPA is the best for this. Tryptophan also, if you can get it, but DLPA reduces the drowsiness. Tryptophan is hard to come by these days due to a processing plant in Japan stuffing a batch up, many people became sick, and a media scare banned the production of it. That hasn't been rectified (it was a fault in manufacturing, not with tryptophan itself), but the bad name has stuck. DLPA is its synthetic equivalent.
    Also got it online (bulk powders), but it is easy available elsewhere.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the information.
    I have deficiencies in vitamin D (doctor confirmed this)
    I often feel down, anxious and worried and this makes me exceedingly tired. If Tryptophan or DLPA are over the counter I will check if they help.

You're very well researched on the topic. Thanks!

You might find this book interesting: Why isn't my brain working? I had bought it due to brain fog.
    https://www.amazon.com/Isnt-Brain-Working-Revolutionary-Understanding/dp/0985690437
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that Madgirl, I totally understand, you aren't alone
  • DebSozo
    Options
    We will do this! I think that the high carb, calorie dense foods from the holidays threw me off. I was hoping that family food fests would not affect me this year-- but I did gain weight. I'm hoping that it is mostly water weight and can quickly reverse the up-tick.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Yes Deb you are absolutely right. I've bumped back up again, while I get back into the swing of things. And our goals are still there! we'll get there, you watch.
    I made the mistake of eating OMAD without calorie restriction thinking that the portion size would keep calories in check. But I have to get more serious and start weighing and counting again (which I abhor).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I bet some is just water weight. If OMAD results in a gain, then counting is definitely what I would do too. Good luck!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I made the mistake of eating OMAD without calorie restriction thinking that the portion size would keep calories in check. But I have to get more serious and start weighing and counting again (which I abhor).

Joe says on one of his videos that if you eat one plate of food no higher than 3" then the calories are usually around 1100-1300 calories. When I figure the calories that way I'm not eating enough so I make sure to eat a little extra.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I bet some is just water weight. If OMAD results in a gain, then counting is definitely what I would do too. Good luck!

I do think some of it is water weight. I did get bloating from reintroducing simple carbs and sugars. I'm planning to go back to low carb which will see a quick water loss hopefully.
  • AmeliaOMAD
    Options
    Yes we are back guys, a new year, and yes Deb, we still have until April :) Thanks for all your support guys. The vitamin D has well and truly kicked in, it's cold a wet here, but I gotta tell ya, I feel fanTAStic. We can do it, here's to a lovely new start for all of us to add some fuel the fires of our goals.
    Back on OMAD, officially. I'm still here, dammit, can't get rid of me that easily ;)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Yaay! We will do this. B)