OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today we are headed to French Lick for Mike's winter meeting with his company. This will be his last hurrah with them. Don't know how much gambling we will do, I'm not one to do much of that, but enjoy watching others.

Karla: Thank you for your nice comments......I'l love to say size 10 as I did wear a 10 after my 50 lb weight loss, but I also need to be more realistic. I'd be happy with a 12 as long as I'm healthy.

Janet: Take it easy. Don't worry about your eating, hospital food is challenging. I'm wishing you a speedy recovery. Like Dorothy, "There's no place like home!" I would pitch a fit, if I were you. The sad thing is people who are there long term are treated like you.......it's infuriating.

Diane: I once took a class at my gym that was also way out of my league. I went for a while since one of my friends was in the class and wanted me to come. Most of them were runners and weight lifters, so they did well. I decided it wasn't for me. I used to take a cardio bands class, but now it's not offered. I really liked the class, so now I just go and work out on my own until something I can do comes up. I still am protecting my back and also my knees as I think I'll be headed for an arthroscopy one day. I have a torn meniscus and arthritis. I might try a personal trainer for a few sessions to discover what I can do that won't hurt my back/knees.

Karla: Whatever your family problems are, I certainly pray that they resolve soon.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bert, I have been pitching genteel and a couple of less-genteel - fits. So grateful I have the knowledge and verbal skills to stand up for myself. I know that's not true of my fellow patients. Hoping to get therapy evaluation & start.

Also hoping for a nap on - this is really wearing!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Janet, I am incensed on your behalf! I certainly hope that you give your feedback when you get home. Their reimbursement is based on patient satisfaction, kick them where it matters most. You would be better off at home with therapy and a home health aid. Again, I sure wish I lived closer so I could take care of you.

Bert, have fun at the company fun day. I love to gamble but am very conservative. Edd hates it but is the luckiest person I know. He wins every time he does gamble.

Karla, sending prayers for you and your family.

Off to work shortly. Hope my feet can take it. Only have a 4 hour shift tomorrow, yeah.

Patti
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    hello everyone,

I am inspired by all your posts.... and I'm angry at how are being treated, Janet. so not fair, but, from what i hear, it's the norm. I'm glad you know how to speak up for yourself!

I know these are the busiest years with my girls, and that i'll miss the activity.... but after this past week, i'm admit looking forward to missing it. ;) by the time the next election comes around, my 12 year old will be driving!!!!! said child just came to me for help with homework......

I'm reading and keeping you all in my thoughts.

myra
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Not a stellar day here, but not horrible. I think I have tracked everything I ate so far, and have enough left for a lightish dinner. No exercise today - it is grey and rainy, and instead of the gym this morning I went and got a mani/pedi!

Janet, so sorry you are going through this! I wish you had someone to help you at home. Rehab is miserable. Get strong quickly so you can go home! Is your home on one floor? I know you had food stocked and prepped. Are you using a walker? That is better for Carrie than the crutches.

Speaking of Carrie, she is much better today. I think the pain finally subsided enough that she got a REALLY sound night of sleep, which helps the pain, which will help the sleep... I was waking her out of a sound sleep every four hours to take her pain meds for about 12 hours last night! I made a little carry-bag for the walker out of half an old pair of jeans, with one front and one back pocket. Now she can at least carry things to/from the bathroom on her own. PT yesterday just did an intake, gave her a few very simple exercises to do to maintain some strength in that leg, and made sure she knew how to properly use the walker. Different PT will come twice a week for 2-3 weeks, then we will see. Not much she can do until she is bearing weight in two months.

Myra, you said it! Your 12 yo will be a young lady soon, and in between she will probably go through that stage of wanting nothing to do with you! So savor the moments.

Bert, I don't like to gamble much either. I usually take $10-20 and tell myself that's how much I am going to lose, and when it is gone I'm done. Usually takes less than 20 minutes, then I people watch the rest of the night.

Patti, I went to Joann's today for something, and the person I asked for help was a total sourpuss. Then when I got to the cutting table I got a real gem! I know you are that gem.

Karla, I am so sorry for whatever drama your family is going through. It is so hard to take. Praying for resolution to whatever it is.

I bet Cindy is having the time of her life with her mom and girls!

My sister did the Women's March in Madison WI, on stilts and with big magenta wings! I was with her in spirit. On the radio today they were talking about how jammed the roads, trains and Metro were into DC.

Diane
  • EniadS
    Options
    Oops, forgot to answer you Patti - I'm still testing out the various classes, and trying to figure out a time of day that works for me. I don't want to get up early enough any more to do the 5:45 class time slot! They have an 8:30 something different every day, and that's the slot I've been trying. Saturday is the advanced step, Sunday/Friday is Boot Camp conditioning which is a circuit workout including boxing - don't think I'm up for that! Monday is kickbox Cardio - haven't tried that one yet. Tues/Thursday is Body Work plus Abs and I haven't tried that one yet either but will this week for sure. Wednesday is Zumba and I enjoyed that. There is a Pilates at 9:45 3 days a week, but that seems late to me. The other class times are 4:30 or 5:45, and I know those are too late for me. They have a water aerobics, but it looks like all really old people! Guess I shouldn't judge.
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! Sorry to be MIA this week. I made some poor choices and tried to act like an ostrich, stick my head in the sand and act like it didn't happen. As a result, I didn't come here, made more poor choices, didn't track and then didn't get the results I wanted at WW this morning- of course! After plugging back in with my WW tribe, I'm refocused and reprogrammed. My best meeting buddy and I have pledged to send each other screenshots of our trackers daily to help keep each other accountable to do the tracking. No critiquing choices, just support to actually track.

Janet - although it's not home, the rehab stent will hopefully serve you well when you get home. I've worried so about you going home alone after such extensive surgery and the need to stay completely off that foot for so long. Keep your spirits up and keep right on demanding better treatment. Even though it's not your nature, sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel. And if that doesn't work, you have my full permission to go psycho-*kitten* if need be!

Karla - (((BIG HUGS))) I hope the family situation sorts itself out.

Patti - you're rockin' the classes! Go you! Any news about your car yet? I smiled about Edd being lucky when he gambles. My BFF is the same way. My experience is more like Diane's - take my $20 and it's gone in about 15 minutes. Even if I'm playing penny slots. I'd much rather go to the racetrack where I can at least watch my $$$ run around the track!

Diane - Carrie's very lucky you're able to keep her in your home and care for her. What wonderful news that she's managing the pain better. It's tough being the caregiver, so look out for yourself as well.

Bert - it sounds like y'all had a fun time hosting those girls from the choir. Just like a slumber party! As crazy as those could be, sometimes I miss having a houseful,of kids around.

Myra - have fun with those little ones, they grow into rotten teenagers all too soon, although those rotten teenagers do eventually become human again.

Cindy - I can't wait to hear all about the BD surprise visit!

MaryLynn - what is normal weather in your area this time of year? Are you able to do much outdoor exercise?

The sore muscle in my back is much better, but not yet yoga ready. I have a 3-day work trip again this coming week and my goal will be the same as it was last week. With my new resolve and tracking accountability plan this week will be better!
  • smack59
    Options
    Forgot to tell Diane - go ahead and try the water aerobics class. You may be able to work at your own pace or in the deep end of the pool if you need to up the challenge. You may find though, at least for the first few classes, that it's a better workout than you realize. I'm always absolutely rubber legged getting out of the pool afterwards.
  • JP_in_KY
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Quick hello here - will absorb all later. PLEASE let me go home today. It's been a long week and going home means rationing Percocet to get me to late Thursday doc appointment but it's due to drug laws that penalize people with pain to punish abusers. So much for the "cruel & unusual punishment" stuff. But I will survive. Pardon the pain whine. It hurts. But I will survive. You all help me more than you know, especially while I'm stuck in a dehumanizing environment.

To answer questions, I will be using a knee scooter. I own a walker but constant hopping on the leg with the replaced knee isn't a good idea. I own a walker from those days and will use it for a few things. And I have a basket to put on I'm knee scooter. PT will likely clear me to navigate at home.

If I can get around my home (yes, a ranch) and use the bathroom, I will be OK. Will have someone coming in daily to bring mail in, help take care of the cats, etc. My normal cat sitter is in ICU and her best friend (also her ex-husband!) is subbing. I am very private so having someone come on every day at a random time isn't my favorite thing but it's necessary for now.

Patti, I am deeply aware of the impact of ratings and will use my chance to do what I can. It is a very broken system run by for-profit entities that cut costs and dehumanizes the vulnerable. So it's my duty to fight back. And I may be writing to legislators about drug laws that do little to stop illegal stuff, while penalizing legitimate need. Grrr.

I promise to remain positive but need a good boo-hoo today as well. Much love to you all. Once I am home and can use computer or iPad, I will get back. With personals. Hugs!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Quick good morning before I head out to work.

Suzi, it is so easy to let your resolve slip when you are not reporting in isn't it? Well lesson learned and now you have a better plan for accountability in your next trip. Don't look back, you are not going that way.

Janet, I pray you get home and are safe to do so. So sorry to hear about your cat sitter, I hope her replacement is as thoughtful and kind as she. Will send some prayers up for her as well. Will you be getting any home therapy or nursing care?

Diane, I concur with Suzi on the water aerobics, it is fun and gives you a very different workout. Don't judge by the age of the participants, just give it a try. One word of advice, don't start in the deep water, there will be waves....

Only 4 hours for me today, will be home before half time of the GB and Atlanta game. Will be trying some western ribs in my pressure cooker for dinner, yum.

PATTI
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies- thank you for caring. I am dealing with outcome as best I can.

Patti- I received your beautiful card. Loved the bling bling!! I totally respect the way you have gone back to work and handled it so gracefully. How is your daughter Susie? Your Mom! I do know it cuts into your personal time.

Bert- You are welcome. I wish we were able to meet when you were down here.

Suzi- sharing trackers is the most excellent way to stay accountable. Why is tracking the first thing we drop? It is for me too!

Diane- Do you realize how how relaxed you sound even with the stress of Carrie? So nice to be retired!!!

I finally weighed this morning and am down 1.1 pounds. I know it is from hardly eating the last three days, but I will take it.

I know I have to accept the outcome of my family situation. I will get through it. With all your support even if it is blind support. Thank you from my heart.

Karla
  • EniadS
    Options
    Hello all. Finally going to do my tracking for the day. I know I should be doing it all along but I think today was always going to be a bust. I'm over by about 300 calories.

My nephew and his wife and their 4 month old baby came over today. It is about a 90 minute drive for them, so I really appreciate them making the trip to see Carrie. I hadn't seen the baby since he was about 2 weeks, and Carrie had never met him. My son Brad and his wife Rossanne came over too, and my sister. This was the first time Carrie had been downstairs (or even really out of bed!) since we brought her home from the hospital, and it was a bit much for her. She pretty much collapsed as soon as we got her back up to bed. I also think the meds have gotten to her - she was a bit nauseous.

I made a late lunch for us all - really good minestrone, plus delicious Mac n cheese. The soup was weight-loss friendly, the mac n cheese definitely not! But it was what Carrie had asked for, then she ate hardly anything. I didn't do much else today other than church this morning.
  • smack59
    Options
    Hi gang! It seems like Sunday has gone pretty darn fast. Packing for the coming work trip to NW AR and bedlam women's basketball. Our Sooners pulled out a win after trailing the whole game down to the final 2 minutes. Boomer Sooner! Took the dogs for a walk around the neighborhood when we got home from the ballgame and Ellis met a new friend - Roxie, a chi-weanie who lives just up the street and is about his age. Her Mama is interested in taking Roxie to the puppy obedience class that Ellis starts next month.

Karla - I've been asking myself that very question! It literally only takes seconds if I do it when I'm filling my plate or immediately following a meal and I get positive results when I track. There's really no reason not to but it does seem to be the first thing that goes by the wayside. I want this to be a completely ingrained habit like brushing my teeth, but I haven't been able to get there yet.

Regarding your family situation: it may be helpful to repeat the serenity prayer. Do you know it?

God, grant me the serenity to to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

There have been times in my life when I literally chanted like a mantra.

Patti - what are western ribs? How do they differ from BBQ?

Janet - you've been on my mind all day. Hope you get home soon. Are you getting to watch football today or are they putting you through your paces?
  • EniadS
    Options
    Janet, I'm surprised you are having so much trouble getting the meds you need! If you are in pain you can't sleep, and if you can't sleep your pain is worse, and you don't heal. Doc gave Carrie copious amounts of percoset/ oxycodone. I know it is addictive and we are worried about that - part of the reason I have been managing her meds. She has been on it for three weeks now, and massive amounts this past week. We tapered her a little yesterday after two days home, and hope to taper again after tomorrow (two days at this dosage.) Anyway, boo hoo to us all you need to. I wish you were here - taking care of two recoveries would be no more than taking care of one.

Karla, I'm just focusing on what I need to. I spoke to my other sister Friday, and she was saying how ANGRY she is at the driver who hit Carrie. I can't do that. I can't think about him at all. I need to focus all my thoughts on being here and positive for Carrie. I AM very grateful I am retired and not trying to work at this time - that would simply be impossible.

I'm very sorry for the family stress you are going through. Today reinforced how much family means to me, and how glad I am to be close to family and have their support.

Suzi, just jump back on the wagon. Traveling is hard on your eating. I TRIED to go with the mantra that meals out while traveling are just meals like at home - they aren't like a celebratory eating out, and shouldn't be an indulgence. (Of course if you are traveling with others and trying to compromise on places to eat that can be harder to manage.)

Patti, I don't know who you were rooting for, but Green Bay forgot to show up for their game. Disappointing. I may try the water aerobics tomorrow, because I really don't think the boot camp class is for me. I've got to get back to something - this week I have gotten over 30 flights of stairs every day but only averaged about 6000 steps.

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hey - guess a very long post with personals went poof. Been that kind of day!

Duane, what a joy for you all. Especially with a baby there.

Anyway, going home tomorrow for sure. My stress level is high. I plan to get as copious an amount as I can on Thursdsy but rules, regs and punishing laws have me scrimping until Thutsdsy. It is NUTS. As is the jerk who gave me a cogency test as if I were a toddler or 108-year-old. I hit back very firmly with words and do not regret it. Talk down to me and you will be eviscerated!

Don't have recreating that post in me. Will try to write more from home.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. We had a nice time in French Lick. Mike's company recognized him for his upcoming retirement and gave him a Cubs hat and an engraved watch for his years of service.

Janet: Standing up for yourself is essential. Glad you are doing it. Give it right back to them!

Patti: I like to gamble too, but I'm also very conservative. I guess it's no difference than going out to eat and spending money for that. It just takes us so long to save money, I don't like putting it in the machine. The company gave us $20 to play. I spent that, and Mike played a few hands of Black Jack.....and that was it.

Today will be spent organizing things. I need to back up computer files, etc. I'm also frustrated with the college as my students are griping to me (as I knew they would) about the online system to download their assignments. I feel sorry for my boss who got dumped on to enter the students into the system. This should have been done over Christmas break in order to be ready for this semester. I have students who are almost 1/2 done with this placement and nothing is completed for them to enter their assignments. Oh well, it's the college's problem.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All-
    Operation Birthday was a huge success- my blog post has a picture that shows the job Mom felt all weekend.
    Eating was an adventure and I enjoyed every bite- our resident foodie, Emily found great restaurant and we enjoyed the flavors of the area. She even found a French bakery for afternoon tea- we skipped lunch. LOL
    I've read all and don't have time to respond to all but here is an overview.
    Karla- hugs for all family stress. I can relate.
    Patti- hugs just for being you
    Janet- extra hugs for an easy trip home today
    Bert- hugs for Mike's retirement
    Suzi- hugs for showing up
    MaryLynn- hugs for your pre-teen
    Diane- hugs for Carrie and you're right, don't dwell on the driver. They have to live with what they did and be grateful it wasn't worse.
    I'll be back later
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    Bert, so glad you had a good time in French Lick and that Mike was honored. How frustrating for the students but happy you are not involved with the fix, you have enough on your plate.

Cindy, welcome home and thanks for the hugs. Your blog was filled with such joy and love. What a wonderful tribute to your Mom! Thanks for the hugs.

Janet, praying ferverently for a safe transition home today. How will you be getting to your appointments? Just wish this whole experience would have been more positive.

Heard from the car guy. My car has Alzheimer's! Evidently the main brain is not working properly and can't work the new clutch that was put in for the super charger. Now waiting to hear if it will cost another $1600 or $250 if they can get the rebuilt that has already been programmed by Mercedes. Either way I will have to just suck it up. Off work until Friday and will be taking mom to her Drs appointment and then lunch tomorrow. Saturday is card day with the girls! So need it and will enjoy every moment of friendship and laughter that we will share as we cut and paste!

Karla, still keeping you in my prayers and hoping you find the strength to get through time.

Patti
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Waving "Good morning" to the OMG ladies!

While catching up on emails this morning, I found a fantastic article from "Prevention Magazine" on nutritional psychology that presents 5 ways to make better food choices.
    As a past subscriber to the magazine, I continue to receive daily email messages from them. While I considered just putting the link in, I realized that I wanted you to share it all with you.

Because TODAY is a great day to apply this wisdom, the logical step is to begin with #1.
    OMG for this week is keeping detailed FOOD/MOOD notes in MFP on my food page notes. With the goal for the next 5 weeks to change my relationship with food PERMANENTLY, I remain accountable to you my fitness pals! My sincere hope is that by "re-tooling" tracking into a complete picture, I will be more inclined to open it more often and enter thoughts too.

I realize this is taking up so much space on our comments and hope you will indulge me here.

Here is the article from "Prevention" in full:

1. Keep a food/mood journal.
    If you've tried to lose weight in the past, you might have already tried jotting down every morsel that goes in your mouth. Now give it another go, but with a twist: Instead of just writing when and what you eat, make note of how you feel before and after eating. What was your mood like? Your energy level? Did you feel physically uncomfortable? Satisfied? Keeping detailed track of these feelings for about a week can help you understand the effects that certain foods have on your body. "This really helps people learn to see that food is the fuel for body and brain," says Baten.

2. Take a week to eat clean.
    Once you've gotten a sense of how your normal eating pattern makes you feel, it's time to keep another food diary—but this time also aim to eat clean foods. Ephimia Morphew-Lu, founder of the Center for Nutritional Psychology and an instructor at John F. Kennedy University, suggests taking a week to eat only whole, unprocessed foods to see what they do to your mood and energy.

"Do not focus on losing weight. Rather, this is a 'mood and well-being experiment,'" she says. Morphew-Lu advises eating three large meals per day, each consisting of a large serving of fresh vegetables; a medium serving of fresh, unprocessed lean protein (like fish or quinoa); a little healthy fat; and a small carbohydrate portion (like half a sweet potato or half a slice of bread).

Again, take detailed notes about your mood and energy levels. How's your mindset? How does your stomach feel? How are you sleeping? After the week is up, compare this to the journal you kept before you made any dietary changes. "This begins [people] on the journey of understanding experientially for themselves the effects their daily diet is having on the way they actually feel and experience life each day," Morphew-Lu says.

3. Think before you bite.
    Once you have a grasp on how various foods make you feel, you should use that intel to guide your food picks going forward. "It's a choice," Baten says. "Do I want to eat that bagel and be tired, or have a smoothie and avocado on whole wheat toast, which will give me a much different experience?"

Of course, sometimes you might really want the bagel (or chips or cupcake) anyway—and that's OK. Morphew-Lu recommends following the 90/10 rule: 90% of what you eat should be healthy food that will benefit your body and your mind; 10% can be whatever tastes good, even if it's mostly devoid of nutrients.

4. Try not to rock the boat.
    Baten doesn't recommend a specific diet to her clients, but she does emphasize the importance of keeping your blood sugar stable. Foods that cause spikes may energize you for a moment, but then send you crashing back down. "Whether we're talking about energy levels, dealing with disease, or thinking about weight loss," blood sugar comes into play, Baten says. "Keeping it stable will have a direct consequence on your mood, weight maintenance, and more."

Refined carbs (white bread, crackers, pasta, etc.) are notorious for messing with blood sugar, and you should be especially cautious about consuming added sugar. Not only does it spike your blood sugar levels, but it can also damage your health in many other ways. "Excessive sugar consumption has been linked to cancer, obesity, depression, anxiety, and a host of other physical and mental ailments," says Morphew-Lu, who notes that sugar is "highly addictive."

5. Have reasonable expectations.
    If you choose to seek out the help of a nutritional psychologist, you probably have a specific goal in mind. While that's a good thing, make sure that your target is achievable. You're more apt to be successful if you make small changes rather than try to overhaul your entire life at once.

"If someone comes to me saying, 'I won't be happy until I lose 30 pounds,' I tell them don't look at the top of that mountain," Baten says. You may be better off aiming to lose a pound a week, or not focusing on the scale at all: Many people who tune in to how food makes them feel are able to slowly shed some weight without ever going on a "diet."

Link:
    http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/5-ways-to-make-better-food-choices-according-to-nutritional-psychologists/slide/5

I will maintain an open diary as I journey along these next 5 weeks, at least.
    Looking forward to experiencing this and pretty eager to begin, so hope you find this as worthwhile as I did. As always, I enjoy your company and encouragement in my life!

Hugs,
    MaryLynn
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Hello from home. Been a long day with a few twists & turns - will tell you about the possessed soap dispenser sometime - annoying but hilarious.

Am all kinds of tired and about to close my eyes for a needed chillout. The past week has been exhausting and often unpleasant, but a means to an end. I am so grateful for the constant love & support of my friends & family.

Bert, glad Mike was celebrated. Cindy, I love everything about your trip! Karla, hang in there. MaryLynn, thanks for the excellent reminders.

Eyes want to close & I will let them. Hugs.