Who we are and why we do the things we do

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    https://www.16personalities.com/isfp-personality

ISFP-T

I got this result twice so I guess it's accurate but honestly I don't really feel like it's me. Small aspects but on the whole no. So the introverted part is right. The being in tune with other's emotions is right. I guess I am easy to get along with because I dislike conflict and am very live and let live. However I'm not what I'd describe as an adventurer. I do not like risky behavior like gambling or extreme sports. I am not particularly creative or artistic. I would say I do not live in the moment. I am constantly focused on what I could have done different 10 years ago to improve my outcome today yet am very complacent in the moment thus making the same mistakes. My friends are not surprised at my introverted-ness when I step out of the spotlight they'd be surprised if I stepped in! True story my friend used to like playing bingo and I hated going because I had such anxiety about having to yell bingo...we had a deal that I ever hit bingo we'd trade cards and she'd call it for me. I would rather give up the prize than yell bingo. lol

Interesting. I wonder if there will be others that aren't a good fit?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So what on earth does it say about me that I always have two, usually opposite responses to each question? The optimal - what I try to do ME - and the reality, how it all plays out me???

Ha! I don't know... see what insight the test provides :)

@Sunny_Bunny_

So I took it as the "ideal me," as in who I strive to and aspire to be in all situations. That came out as ENFJ-A.

Then, I took it as the "real me," how I end up being in a situation, no matter how I try to be. That came out ISFP-T...

The only consistency was the Feeling part...74% feeling on the ideal me, 68% on the "real" me...

Going to go look at the rest of my results.

What does that say? That I'm nowhere near what I want to be? Or my idealized version is so different from my true spirit? That something is holding me back?? I don't know, maybe it's just my normal split personality self... *sigh*
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    That is so cool! I am The Advocate” (INFJ-A), and I feel like it was very accurate. I want my teenagers to do this test. It is good to understand your strengths and weakness. Especially when you are looking forward to career choices. Thanks for the link! I am fascinated.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There are a number of books that go with this test.

https://www.amazon.ca/Please-Understand-Temperment-Character-Intelligence/dp/1885705026

I still have the 1970 version on my shelf! There are also some on specifics: workplace interactions, spouses, and children.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    I have googled and read descriptors on other sites and my result might not be that off base. I guess at the core I do have a lot of the traits mentioned for ISFP-T. Especially the parts about not doing much planning. lol
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited January 2017
    https://www.16personalities.com/entp-personality
    Debater entp-t
    Debaters’ capacity for debate can be a vexing one – while often appreciated when it’s called for, it can fall painfully flat when they step on others’ toes by say, openly questioning their boss in a meeting, or picking apart everything their significant other says. This is further complicated by Debaters’ unyielding honesty, as this type doesn’t mince words and cares little about being seen as sensitive or compassionate. Likeminded types get along well enough with people with the Debater personality type, but more sensitive types, and society in general, are often conflict-averse, preferring feelings, comfort, and even white lies over unpleasant truths and hard rationality.

...I feel like X-rayed ...I'm sorry I probably often step on toes here too, in search for an ephemeral truth inside my head.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    So what on earth does it say about me that I always have two, usually opposite responses to each question? The optimal - what I try to do ME - and the reality, how it all plays out me???

@Sunny_Bunny_

So I took it as the "ideal me," as in who I strive to and aspire to be in all situations. That came out as ENFJ-A.

Then, I took it as the "real me," how I end up being in a situation, no matter how I try to be. That came out ISFP-T...

The only consistency was the Feeling part...74% feeling on the ideal me, 68% on the "real" me...

What does that say? That I'm nowhere near what I want to be? Or my idealized version is so different from my true spirit? That something is holding me back?? I don't know, maybe it's just my normal split personality self... *sigh*

I'd say, embrace the real you! Sounds like great qualities to me!
  • KnitOrMiss

@Sunny_Bunny_

So, embrace the crazy chaotic person who can't make a to-do list or complete one; who feels off her rocker without a plan, yet can never quite pull one off; who goes back and forth between military type precision and utter chaos with more ease than people change socks or underwear? I could go on...but the funny part is that the traits that are probably most central to the ME-me....those are the ones I always aspire to change... So it's either "suck it up buttercup" or "get off your butt and change it?"
  • dmhaag
    dmhaag Posts: 172 Member
    I'm an INFP-T Mediator, as well! Well, this time anyway. I've taken this test several times before for classes, work, etc..., and I will always come out an IN, but sometimes INTJ Architect, sometimes INTP Logician, and sometimes INFP Mediator. Must depend on what's going on in my life at the time. But...ever the introvert!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member

@Sunny_Bunny_

So, embrace the crazy chaotic person who can't make a to-do list or complete one; who feels off her rocker without a plan, yet can never quite pull one off; who goes back and forth between military type precision and utter chaos with more ease than people change socks or underwear? I could go on...but the funny part is that the traits that are probably most central to the ME-me....those are the ones I always aspire to change... So it's either "suck it up buttercup" or "get off your butt and change it?"

The idea is to understand yourself well enough to best utilize/direct your natural tendencies. For instance, one of the weaknesses listed for me is:

"Defiant – ESTPs won’t be boxed in. Repetition, hardline rules, sitting quietly while they are lectured at – this isn’t how ESTPs live their lives. They are action-oriented and hands-on. Environments like school and much entry-level work can be so tedious that they’re intolerable, requiring extraordinary effort from ESTPs to stay focused long enough to get to freer positions."

This defiance is why I fired my doctors when they were flat out wrong about the causes of my elevated BG (no longer referring to it as T2 or pre-diabetes since I view it as temporary condition - probably another sign of my defiance). It has led me down the path of finding the right doc and the actual causes and making the changes that are already having a positive impact for my health.

I have learned to use this "weakness" in conjunction with 2 of my "strengths":

"Rational and Practical – ESTPs love knowledge and philosophy, but not for their own sake. What’s fun for ESTP personalities is finding ideas that are actionable and drilling into the details so they can put them to use. If a discussion is completely arbitrary, there are better uses for ESTPs’ time.
    Original – Combining their boldness and practicality, ESTPs love to experiment with new ideas and solutions. They put things together in ways no one else would think to."

I would disagree that the items listed are necessarily "strengths" or "weaknesses" as they are only tendencies. How you allow them to manifest will determine if they are a strengths or weaknesses. Look at each one tendency and see how you can best utilize it. Or maybe I'm just being defiant again. ;):p
  • chelseabarnwell42
    chelseabarnwell42 Posts: 47 Member
    MEDIATOR PERSONALITY (INFP, -A/-T), That personality profile describes me completely so crazy! Thank you for sharing!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited January 2017
    I thought I posted mine but I guess not lol 5dpkf76mxzc4.png
    Definition according to wiki:
    ESFPs live in the moment, experiencing life to the fullest. They enjoy people, as well as material comforts. Rarely allowing conventions to interfere with their lives, they find creative ways to meet human needs. ESFPs are excellent team players, focused on completing the task at hand with maximum fun and minimum discord. Active types, they find pleasure in new experiences.

ESFPs take a hands-on approach in most things. Because they learn more by doing than by studying or reading, they tend to rush into things, learning by interacting with their environment. They usually dislike theory and written explanations. Traditional schools can be difficult for ESFPs, although they tend to do well when the subject of study interests them, or when they see the relevance of a subject and are allowed to interact with people.

Observant, practical, realistic, and specific, ESFPs make decisions according to their own personal standards. They use their Feeling judgment internally to identify and empathize with others. Naturally attentive to the world around them, ESFPs are keen observers of human behavior. They quickly sense what is happening with other people and immediately respond to their individual needs. They are especially good at mobilizing people to deal with crises. Generous, optimistic, and persuasive, they are good at interpersonal interactions. They often play the role of peacemaker due to their warm, sympathetic, and tactful nature.

Living in the here-and-now, they often do not think about long-term effects or the consequences of their actions. While very practical, they generally despise routines, instead desiring to 'go with the flow.' They are, in fact, very play minded. Because ESFPs learn better through hands-on experience, classroom learning may be troublesome for many of them, especially those with a very underdeveloped intuitive side.[4]

Sounds a lot like me although I've grown into a more peacemaker as I've gotten older, I used to be very arguntative when i was younger, i liked to play devil's advocate and refused to see things in black and white. I still believe life is a series of grays but I learned to LIVE and LET LIVE lol
    me.PNG 97.1K
  • KnitOrMiss
    cstehansen wrote: »

@Sunny_Bunny_

The idea is to understand yourself well enough to best utilize/direct your natural tendencies. For instance, one of the weaknesses listed for me is:

"Defiant – ESTPs won’t be boxed in. Repetition, hardline rules, sitting quietly while they are lectured at – this isn’t how ESTPs live their lives. They are action-oriented and hands-on. Environments like school and much entry-level work can be so tedious that they’re intolerable, requiring extraordinary effort from ESTPs to stay focused long enough to get to freer positions."

This defiance is why I fired my doctors when they were flat out wrong about the causes of my elevated BG (no longer referring to it as T2 or pre-diabetes since I view it as temporary condition - probably another sign of my defiance). It has led me down the path of finding the right doc and the actual causes and making the changes that are already having a positive impact for my health.

I have learned to use this "weakness" in conjunction with 2 of my "strengths":

"Rational and Practical – ESTPs love knowledge and philosophy, but not for their own sake. What’s fun for ESTP personalities is finding ideas that are actionable and drilling into the details so they can put them to use. If a discussion is completely arbitrary, there are better uses for ESTPs’ time.
    Original – Combining their boldness and practicality, ESTPs love to experiment with new ideas and solutions. They put things together in ways no one else would think to."

I would disagree that the items listed are necessarily "strengths" or "weaknesses" as they are only tendencies. How you allow them to manifest will determine if they are a strengths or weaknesses. Look at each one tendency and see how you can best utilize it. Or maybe I'm just being defiant again. ;):p

@cstehansen - I was more comparing the dichotomy between the me I attempt to be and the me I nearly always end up being...more so than either thing being good or bad, etc. I know that every tendency or perspective can always be used to advantage or not, but it's more things like when I don't have order and structure, my life is stressful, but when I attempt to force order and structure upon myself, I get full on teenaged rebellion against myself... Like I said, I'll work on a compare and contrast...just so I can better understand it. I imagine there will be more things in common in each category that it first appears...

That being said, I always hate these kind of tests. It's never yes or no or varying degrees even, it's all about missing context. It's like, if it is A, B, or C - then it's a level of agreement, but if it is X, Y, or Z, it's ah he!L naw! I am never just one perspective on hardly anything. I bet if I compared my answers, I'd say less than 10% answers were the same. So if I take the test for my "goals" "aims" or "tries" the answer is always different than where I end up... nearly ALWAYS...
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    ISFJ here...
  • cimarrona27
    cimarrona27 Posts: 97 Member
    This is me!

Although my husband is an extreme extrovert- so we compromise. One weekend night we socialize and the other is quiet.

p7hft1t8jrcp.png
    p46jra7dct2f.jpg

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    joebuc wrote: »

So there are 2 of us in this group. It said this was a rare type - only 4% of people. I am guessing the non-conformity aspect would push more of us to a less conventional WOE maybe.

sdxl8acivboh.jpg
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I have taken the Myers Briggs a number of times for work, etc. I took this again to get ISFJ - A. I don't think the "identity" scale was in previous assessments I have done. I did not remember that letter anyway.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    I was in one of the really large Keto facebook groups. One chick posted a recipe for something almond flour, muffins or cake or something saying it was zero carb. I pointed out that it was actually 9g carb per serving and she said minus the fibre etc it was actually -2g carbs. I pointed out that was not in fact correct, and the fibre had already been minused, making it ... yes ... 9g carbs per serve. She got abusive, some other people joined in and bam, I was kicked out of the group. Nothing in any of my comments were rude or nasty, just simply pointing out the calculations. It was such a small thing but people get so nasty. The internet is like a drug, it removes people's filters and they act in a way that I'm pretty sure they wouldn't in real life.