Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    pacific904 wrote: »
    .... so I could eat the things I love In great quantities mainly cakes, chocolates, etc. I pointed out to a trainer in the gym that I was not losing much weight, he said to me "the kitchen is for weight loss and the gym for fitness". I then went on low carb with some success. I started to follow Jason Fung, Dr Westman, Jimmy Moore and I think OMAD is some way of eating that will suit me. Last week I fasted 4.5 days and felt great.

I am starting OMAD intending to keep eating moderate carbs and high fat during the week and a bit more carbs at the weekend. I am also going to try to avoid processed food.

I have 34 lbs to lose. I am going to this a really good try. So pleased to have found this group.

Good luck!
  • Crispus1954
    Crispus1954 Posts: 6 Member
    1st day. Previously have been doing LCHF since May 2016. 6'0" currently 228lbs starting weight 256lbs. Hopefully this woe will keep my BG in check while adding some carbs. Wish me luck.
    Jeff
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    1st day. Previously have been doing LCHF since May 2016. 6'0" currently 228lbs starting weight 256lbs. Hopefully this woe will keep my BG in check while adding some carbs. Wish me luck.
    Jeff

Are you still going to eat LCHF while doing OMAD?
  • Crispus1954
    I am thinking of adding some starch like rice and potatoes back in and see what happens.
  • blambo61
    Jeff

Good to meet you! I'm 6'1" and started at 256 also. Started OMAD at 252 (currently 209). I'm just starting looking into LC to help with my morning bg levels. I've been taking whey protein and eating carbs for most of my OMAD diet but just noticed lately my morning bg is higher than I like (110-120 with a couple of higher readings). I've been getting in 100g of protein in my eating window and I don't think my body can handle that and the carbs. Last 4 days I've gone LC and kept the protein up (not whey but other stuff) and my bg has been 100-106 in the mornings so I think I may stick with that for awhile. I'm experimenting with LCHP, LC med protein, medium carb/high protein, etc to see how I respond. Good luck!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Jeff

Hi Jeff! Nice going losing almost 30 pounds. You must be feeling great about that progress!
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017

I am thinking of adding some starch like rice and potatoes back in and see what happens.

If you keep it low glycemic and balance the protein, carbs, and fats you might be just fine adding a bit more starch. I have problems when it is just carb by itself or excess sugary product.
  • Crispus1954
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Jeff

Good to meet you! I'm 6'1" and started at 256 also. Started OMAD at 252 (currently 209). I'm just starting looking into LC to help with my morning bg levels. I've been taking whey protein and eating carbs for most of my OMAD diet but just noticed lately my morning bg is higher than I like (110-120 with a couple of higher readings). I've been getting in 100g of protein in my eating window and I don't think my body can handle that and the carbs. Last 4 days I've gone LC and kept the protein up (not whey but other stuff) and my bg has been 100-106 in the mornings so I think I may stick with that for awhile. I'm experimenting with LCHP, LC med protein, medium carb/high protein, etc to see how I respond. Good luck!

Do you do your protein shake outside of the one mealtime? Also if you are going to go low carb keep in mind that protein can convert to sugar although the body prefers carbs for that process. Fat on the other hand has no effect on sugar.
  • DebSozo
    Jeff

Do you do your protein shake outside of the one mealtime? Also if you are going to go low carb keep in mind that protein can convert to sugar although the body prefers carbs for that process. Fat on the other hand has no effect on sugar.

This happened to me when I was "high protein" low fat. I was hungry all the time and had to eat protein every 3 hours. When I upped the fat and lowered protein to a moderate amount it worked to blunt the hunger. I hardly think about wanting it now. The freedom from that is amazing.
  • blambo61
    Jeff

Jeff

I usually took the protein at the beginning of my meal. I'm not taking it right now because of high waking bg levels. I have discovered though if I go low carb, I can still get the 100g of protein in in my feeding window and my morning bg is good. Thanks
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Hi all! I'm new here! I joined a few days ago, but I officially started today.
    My name is Brittany and I'm from Georgia, USA.
    I current weigh 257 lbs and look to weigh around 165-180 lbs depending on how I feel.

I've really been having a difficult time with eating too many snacks and junk food so I really feel like this will help me stay focused more. Plus, I have a little more freedom with the food I do eat, not having to stick completely to diet food. I do enjoy salads and fruits and such, but I like my meat and potatoes too sometimes. I want to break free from a food addiction and be free of that burden and thoughts of food all the time. I'm so glad I came across this and look forward to being involved with this community!!
  • Alldaygainz
    Alldaygainz Posts: 870 Member

Hi all, a few months ago I found out about IF and being a fitness addict I love exploring and testing new ways to further my physique. So anyway I let myself go from 12% to 20% bf to test this out but now I've been told to check out OMAD (new term for me) so now i'm lost. What is the difference between IF and Omad?

Stats:
    20% BF
    177Lbs (80kg)
    Endomorph genes
    Goal:
    159lbs (72kg)
    To get down to 12% BF using a 20:4 styled program and controlling calories while maintaining strength and muscle mass.
  • DebSozo
    OMAD is one meal a day which is a form of intermittent fasting. Have you watched any of Joe's videos on YouTube?
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Hi all! I'm new here! I joined a few days ago, but I officially started today.
    My name is Brittany and I'm from Georgia, USA.
    I current weigh 257 lbs and look to weigh around 165-180 lbs depending on how I feel.

I've really been having a difficult time with eating too many snacks and junk food so I really feel like this will help me stay focused more. Plus, I have a little more freedom with the food I do eat, not having to stick completely to diet food. I do enjoy salads and fruits and such, but I like my meat and potatoes too sometimes. I want to break free from a food addiction and be free of that burden and thoughts of food all the time. I'm so glad I came across this and look forward to being involved with this community!!

Howdy! I found fasting really helped me to get cravings under control. My enemy was the grandma's cookies and twix bars in the snack area at work which was about 30 feet from where I sit. I should have bought stock in those companies that sold that stuff. At least 20 of the old me lbs were probably from that!

Eating that junk though, really messed with my blood sugar and I was on a roller coaster up and down and felt horrible at the end of the day. Now when I fast the energy is smooth and level cause a lot of it is coming from fat. No ups and downs. Consequently, I feel really good after work and want to exercise, etc. and I feel good clear into the night! Some of me feeling better is probable due to me getting better sleep now also because I quite snoring after I lost some weight.

It has been really good for me!
  • blambo61
    Hi all, a few months ago I found out about IF and being a fitness addict I love exploring and testing new ways to further my physique. So anyway I let myself go from 12% to 20% bf to test this out but now I've been told to check out OMAD (new term for me) so now i'm lost. What is the difference between IF and Omad?

Stats:
    20% BF
    177Lbs (80kg)
    Endomorph genes
    Goal:
    159lbs (72kg)
    To get down to 12% BF using a 20:4 styled program and controlling calories while maintaining strength and muscle mass.

Howdy! Eat your protein but check you bg in the morning to make sure you are not getting too much and turning it into sugar and waking with elevated bg levels. Strict OMAD uses a one-plate rule to limit calories during the eating time. Some follow that strictly and some are more liberal with that. I've had success, probably slower though, eating mostly ad libitum during the eating window. That might not work for you or a lot of people. You would have to experiment to see what that does to you.
  • ctvelez33
    ctvelez33 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I'm Chris. I am kind of new to OMAD. I have been doing keto for about a year and have not lost that much. 13 pounds at first but put back about 8. I am soooo frustrated. I know keto works for me because my cravings and such have gone away but......well that about where my progress ends right now. I wonder if it's because I'm 42 (turning 43 next month), years of diets (weight watchers, cutting diets during bodybuilding etc.) Maybe I need more time and patience. Any insight and support will be helpful. Thanks :)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    ctvelez33 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm Chris. I am kind of new to OMAD. I have been doing keto for about a year and have not lost that much. 13 pounds at first but put back about 8. I am soooo frustrated. I know keto works for me because my cravings and such have gone away but......well that about where my progress ends right now. I wonder if it's because I'm 42 (turning 43 next month), years of diets (weight watchers, cutting diets during bodybuilding etc.) Maybe I need more time and patience. Any insight and support will be helpful. Thanks :)

Hi, Chris...

I'm turning 43 the month after next, so I feel ya. As with all things, it is a mind game. Keto is fine, but your adaptation of it may be all you need to perfect. OMAD is there for you. It's up to you how you navigate it.

Welcome!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Welcome everyone....love seeing new people beginning this healthy lifestyle.
  • myfithealth2
    myfithealth2 Posts: 1 Member
    I actually found this page from the one meal a day youtube video online, it caught my interest because I did'nt realize that it existed, which is ironic because I have been practicing this unformally for the last few days mainly because I have gained so much weight around 280 pounds and I am not happy with how I look. I want to lose this extra weight and get back to my goal weight of 120 pounds. I can't believe how thin I used to be many many moons ago. My story of weight gain happened from midlife hormonal changes and stress. I began emotional over-eating and binging. It wasn't something I really noticed at first it seemed to have slowly happened. The biggest change for me was my health. I am tired all the time, unable to concentrate or focus on anything and feeling unmotivated. I decided enough is enough and I need a change. So I can use any pointers I can get in relation to the OMAD because it will fit best into my lifestyle. I have tried other diets which did not work long-term. My start date was on the 24th of January 2017. Hope everyone is having a great day!
  • blambo61
    Howdy. Please start a thread and let us know how your doing.