Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    4 mile wake up swim.
    Gonna try and get one more 10km swim in this weekend.
    Next Monday I'll be off to China for another month long trip. Having pool access there has greatly reduced the dreading these trips.
    Bringing my bow with me this time. I met some locals at an archery range near the gym on my last trip. Can't bring firearms into China but I can bring my bow and arrows with field points.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @emmab0902 1600m in an outdoor 50m pool with strong winds :o . That is a workout; fewer turns = less glide rest breaks and the strong winds, I had a mental image of mini whitecaps breaking and interfering with breathing rhythm. Its definitely a harder workout than a 25m pool, harder than a 50m indoor pool.

@fishgutzy Nice that you now have 2 activities that you can do to relieve the stress of travel/work assignments.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Did not swim today (ran a 5k on the treadmill in 25:15 though!) but I had two amazing swims last week (I say amazing because they're the best swims I've had since re-starting swimming a couple years ago, lol).

60 minutes, about 2000 meters.

100m warm up
    50/100/200/100/50 crawl
    50/100/200/100/50 breast
    50/100/200/100/50 back
    8x50 crawl

I don't change speeds too much (on the 50's only, really) but I have to break it up somehow otherwise I just can not keep track of how far/how many lengths.

I'm going back to the pool in the morning and can't wait!!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Finished the week 5 for 5-- with Friday close to 85 minutes.
    Today was a bit short-- 60. Had to get out early for a meeting
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @emmab0902 - you know I would, but I would be fibbing!

4000 yards @ 1:10. I knew there was a reason I swam before the age groupers.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Increasing my running for a Half Marathon Training Cycle so have to move my swim time's around to match the limited lane swim times in the local pool.

Noon Hour splash. Started with 2 people per lane, then 3, then 4 and 5. So it was a brutal struggle to get into a rhythm. After 30 mins half the people left to the steam room and we were back to 2/lane so could settle into a rhythm.
    1200m Front, breast and back. Just mixed and matched to follow what the 2 slowest swimmers were doing so I didn't have to pass them in the crowded situation.
    It's a trick I learned that makes for a more relaxed swim.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    50 minutes, 1800m
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 when is your half? I was thinking of doing one in May but I think I've run myself out of time to train!
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    4500 yards @ 85 minutes
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    75 minutes-- not sure what distance was since I'm not counting these days, but usually I do 1.5 miles in 72 minutes
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2017
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    @juliet3455 when is your half? I was thinking of doing one in May but I think I've run myself out of time to train!

@emmab0902 My first half of the season was Sunday Feb 5, last weekend.
    Now I am in a new training cycle for my April 8 HM in Jasper National Park - can you say Mountains and HM.
    I think you probably can train up for a May HM. Your cardio and strength from swimming will help immensely.
    I am using the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 plan for the Jasper HM. It has more Tempo and speed work than the HH Intermediate 1 plan that I used for my Chilly Willy HM. They are basically 12 weeks long so May is do able. I tweaked my plan by adding in a few more long runs simply because I already do the middle distances ( 8-12 km ) every week so replacing some of them with longer runs was not a big challenge.

Here is the link from the MFP Monthly Running Challenge where Stan has compiled a Great collection of information and Training Plans.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1269023/running-related-sites-and-references/p1

Ironically the HM I just completed was called the Chilly Willy. Insert Politically and Socially incorrect pun here.
    I was very happy with my result, 2nd in my Age Group B) 2:12:36 Chip Time. Which also is a new PB for me. Defended my 2nd place AG finish from last year. 2:13:00
    Of course I must qualify my 2nd AG with the fact of the 6 people in my AG only 2 of us made it to the finish line so a 2nd by default if you will.

The event lived up to its name -22C at gun and with the wind the windchill in the open parts was ~ -31C. Once you were in the trees with the sun beating on you it was actually surprisingly warm. I actually had to open the vent zippers on my coat. Which probably sounds crazy to those who haven't lived in a True Cold Climate .
    412dq1ly4kj8.jpg
    At the Start Line. On the Left, 2nd row behind 2113 and 2140. No frost on my Tocque. Note the dreary overcast sky.
    6f2tofzvswdo.jpg
    The Finish Line. Notice the Frost on my Tocque, and the Bright Blue sky.
    Clock Time shows 2:12:41, Chip Time like I said 2:12:36
    dyzhzloa6oxo.jpg
    Weather Report says it all.
    yzbmcxzptxk3.jpg
    The Race Bling ( actually my niece's bling showing 1st place AG )
    1hr8b8hgev8b.jpg
    The post race photo with my Tall Niece -Trista and her friend Vanessa ( her 1st HM ). I paced Vanessa until about km 3 to give her a good start - prevented her from getting pulled out fast with the leaders, something that happens to all runners at some time. Again Bright Blue Sky.
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Adult Swim Club 1800m, Valentine Swim.
    200m Warm up, 50 Free, 50 Breast, 50 Kick, 50 Dst/strk

4 x 10s RI
    50m Finger Drag
    50m Shark
    50m Breathing 3,5,7 strokes
    50m Dst/stroke ( at start of 2016/2017 yr I was @ 27 strk/25m; now down to 22-23 strk/25m ; Goal sub 21/25m)

25, 50, 25 Breast- sprint the 25s / 10s RI
    50, 50 Back Dst/strk
    25, 25, 50 Breast, Breast, Back.

6 x 50m alt Pull & Free

4 x 50m Easy Breast ( drop your Heart Rate )
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    4 miles.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @juliet3455 Love all the pics and congrats on your HM and the PB. And here I complain when it gets down into the 30's F. Some of the tactics for long distance running, sound a lot like open water swimming tactics...not that I have done that in ages.

Thanks for sharing!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Been swimming four or 5 times a week.
    2.5km per session.
    Glad to log in and see all the activity on here!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 lovely to see all the pictures. Looked like fun! Cold fun :-)
  • yogiswimmer
    yogiswimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    About 1200 yds today of breast, back, free, kickboard, and dolphin kick (my favorite lately!).
  • yogiswimmer
    yogiswimmer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 - What is finger drag and shark?
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 - What is finger drag and shark?

Designed to reinforce the high elbow and rotation of the body

@yogiswimmer Finger Tip drag Video

There are multiple versions of the Shark Drill. I could not find an exact match to the version we use, This is the closest video example I could find. We don't rotate so far, ours is more like a regular swim stroke with the Shark Motion added between arm pulls. Usually on a 3 stroke rhythm, ie Shark, Pull, Pull, Pull; Shark that way you are switching sides with each Shark Stroke.

Shark Drill Video

Should include the Zipper Drill.
    We will commonly include the Zipper Drill with the Finger Tip Drag as they have similar arm positions.

Zipper Drill Video