New and Improved Ice Cream Review Thread

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Brought this baby home yesterday:

PerrysadforWEB.jpg

The base was kind of icy, which is definitely unusual for Perry's. The mix-ins were nice though and there were lots of them. I'd probably try it again, to see if I just got a bum container this time around.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    @AngryViking1970 what's sponge candy? Every now and again I get an icy pint when it has partially melted and refrozen. Hopefully the next one will be better.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    It's like a caramelized spun sugar honeycomb type candy that's sort of crispy, but then it will just dissolve in your mouth. It's usually coated in chocolate, so it's pretty terrible. LOL

tumblr_lj7pc2nCwt1qibqpso1_500.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    It's like a caramelized spun sugar honeycomb type candy that's sort of crispy, but then it will just dissolve in your mouth. It's usually coated in chocolate, so it's pretty terrible. LOL

Interesting-- it sounds good!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member

Some places call those molasses puffs, some call them seafoam.

They are delicious, but I think would be odd in ice cream, tbh...
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited September 2016
    Back for a limited time

/url]
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Anyone not on the west coast have access to Tillamook yet?

I have enjoyed several of their ice creams, and I wandered by the ice cream section in my local supermarket and saw they've branched out into "Farmstyle Gelato." I picked this up despite it (1) not being on sale and costing $5+ for 15.5 oz (not even a full pint!) whereas their ice cream is only pennies more for 1.75 quarts; and (2) it being pretty calorific - 260 cals for 102g. Anyways, I will try tonight or in the next few nights.

z8sq9f1lpy1b.jpg

faj6mj17trz9.jpg
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Anyone not on the west coast have access to Tillamook yet?

I have enjoyed several of their ice creams, and I wandered by the ice cream section in my local supermarket and saw they've branched out into "Farmstyle Gelato." I picked this up despite it (1) not being on sale and costing $5+ for 15.5 oz (not even a full pint!) whereas their ice cream is only pennies more for 1.75 quarts; and (2) it being pretty calorific - 260 cals for 102g. Anyways, I will try tonight or in the next few nights.

z8sq9f1lpy1b.jpg

faj6mj17trz9.jpg

Yep - it's been available in DFW for a while. I can usually only find the half-gallons which is why I don't buy it much. Takes me too long to get through one by myself so it gets freezer burn and it takes up way too much room in my tiny indoor freezer.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    So I just had my second portion of the Tillamook Choc Covered Strawberry Gelato. I am a big fan of Tillamook's Marionberry Pie ice cream, but I have to give the gelato a solid thumbs down.

The first serving was obviously from the top of the pint -- and it was covered in chocolate fudge chunks to the point of being too much. This second bowl didn't have a chocolate blanket on top. But there were still a ton of mixed-in pieces -- great if you like that many mix-ins, but it was too much for me. Additionally, as might be guessed from the picture, the strawberry is not well blended, so this serving had very little strawberry flavor. It was more of "choc chunks in bland mascarpone" than a true "choc covered strawberry" flavor, and honestly the "sweet mascarpone" gelato really just came across as a bland base without much flavor of its own, and certainly not that I would identify as mascarpone unless prompted. Finally, beside the flavor issue, the base was uninspiring -- not rich and creamy as hoped for, and not particularly stand-out in any way -- could have been any old ice cream versus a "farmstyle gelato."

All that for $5+ for slightly less than a pint, and I cannot recommend this gelato. I'll finish it (it's not bad in that I won't eat it), it's just that it is expensive, calorific, and not particularly well done. I'll have to get a batch of the Marionberry Pie ice cream to restore my fuzzy feelings for Tillamook.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    cinc.png?itok=09kSKDWt&c=e0cb95b55c9891468bd894119c702748

So not worth the calories!

It would have been awesome with a cinnamon base.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    cinc.png?itok=09kSKDWt&c=e0cb95b55c9891468bd894119c702748

So not worth the calories!

It would have been awesome with a cinnamon base.

That's a shame, I love a good cinnamon ice cream.

I finally tried the Talenti Pumpkin Pie. I've been putting it off because I'm not a huge pumpkin lover but someone gave me a pint and I'm glad they did. It's excellent-- I've been eating it most nights. Chunks of pie crust mix-ins are the way to Acrylics' heart.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I finally got a chance to try Turkey Hill S'mores recently. The first taste was a sad pile of freezer burn, but the second cone was another hit for Turkey Hill!

FYI: If you have a Kroger in your area, there's a two dollar Talenti Catalina coupon going around. I'm hoarding two at the moment.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I finally got a chance to try Turkey Hill S'mores recently. The first taste was a sad pile of freezer burn, but the second cone was another hit for Turkey Hill!

FYI: If you have a Kroger in your area, there's a two dollar Talenti Catalina coupon going around. I'm hoarding two at the moment.

We finally got ice cream at work & supposedly were getting Breyers! Breyers?!?!? We're so close to Turkey Hill at least spring for the good stuff.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    I'm kind of irritated that Ben & Jerry's Confetti Cake was barely in any Wal-Mart's & now it's gone. So delicious!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Also any of you try the Twinkies ice cream?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    I am not a big fan of Twinkies so I haven't been too tempted by that one.

I did try a new brand (new to me anyway) called High Road tonight. They have a lot of flavors that sound interesting-- Bourbon Burnt Sugar and Aztec Chocolate caught my eye. But I went with Caramel Pecan. It's got a nice base with a deep caramel flavor and lots of pecan mix-ins. The calorie count is really high (330 calories per 113g) so it's not going to be a regular thing, but it was nice for the end of an active day.

szlpe0tcmu77.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    I FINALLY found Gelato Fiasco at Shop Rite. I'm a bit curious though... is it supposed to have some kind of icy texture? It's good, but not the texture I usually expect from Gelato (and that was after 20 minutes in the cart/car). I got the chocolate/caramel one.

ETA: I can't believe it wasn't even in the database after all this time!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I FINALLY found Gelato Fiasco at Shop Rite. I'm a bit curious though... is it supposed to have some kind of icy texture? It's good, but not the texture I usually expect from Gelato (and that was after 20 minutes in the cart/car). I got the chocolate/caramel one.

ETA: I can't believe it wasn't even in the database after all this time!!!

No it isn't supposed to be icy. I wonder if it melted and refroze.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Hi!!! I'm really sad to see the original thread is gone. What the fruit, man?! I can't remember which Talenti sorbetto it was that the people who tried it here weren't fans of. I don't do dairy anymore, and I want to make sure I don't waste my money.

If any of you have Sorbabes in your store, this is totally worth trying. http://www.sorbabes.com/pistachio/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    edited April 2017
    Just a driveby to say don't bother with the Breyers Gelato Indulgences cookie dough flavor. I don't mind their chocolate or caramel truffle ones for low calorie days, but the cookie dough is just sad. Mostly vanilla with a tiny bit of fudge ribbon and a few cookie dough blobs sprinkled on top. Bluebell cookie dough (once it's back from being recalled) is much better for comparable calories.

If you're looking for a low(er) calorie ice cream to try then give Bluebell Pecan Pralines 'n Cream a go. I'm really impressed and surprised with the amount of flavor it has for 190 calories.