Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Bye the way, I lost most of my weight while have a desert about every night! I've cut a lot of that out now for gout reasons. Also if I'm just trying to maintain and am doing 18:6 and am not exercising, I need to cut them out or I will gain. I can still have some if I exercise.
  • blambo61
    Options
    My ideas on weight loss are:

1. Watch what you eat - little refined sugars and grains for reduction in calories and also to keep insulin down and for keeping insulin sensitive, get your protein in, eat good food to get your micro-nutrients in, eat ACV for reducing blood sugar levels and inflamation. Make sure you eat fiber also, it helps buffer blood sugar too.

2. Watch when you eat - don't snack (especially sugary stuff which include refined grains), fast to get a calorie reduction and also to improve insulin sensitivity so you don't need as much insulin so you can metabolize fat easier

3. Watch how much you eat - the above two help with this. If you need more help, cut back on portions when you do eat. I would rather fast and eat a lot when I eat than split it up and never get full

4. Exercise - there could be a cortisol increase which will stop some fat loss but there is a deficit contribution also that I think overrides the cortisol effect. Your metabolism will speed up which makes it easier to have a deficit. You can eat more without it hurting you. Plus being weak skinny isn't good either (better than fat though). Exercise gets people in trouble cause they will gain muscle and retain a little water and get discouraged but it is only temporary (you will gain muscle quickly to start and then it slows, you don't keep storing more and more water) and body % fat is improving. Obese people must be especially careful not to injure themselves. Really obese people may postpone this tell they get some weight loss so they don't get discouraged or injured.

5. Get enough sleep - the cortisol effect here and also it is hard to concentrate and get through a fast when your tired. I cheat most when I'm tired (and stressed)

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

5. Get enough sleep - the cortisol effect here and also it is hard to concentrate and get through a fast when your tired. I cheat most when I'm tired (and stressed)

Ugh, this is true and I've fallen back into a pattern of mid-morning insomnia five days in a row now and not being able to go back to sleep--a problem I thought I had nipped in the bud for good, after nearly two decades of suffering from mid-morning insomnia, for two months prior to OMAD. I haven't cheated, I still have energy, but it's going to catch up with me. I'll be honest, at first I thought it was my body adjusting to OMAD, but I honestly think it's a mind problem. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel so light. I think about how light I feel. Then I lie there and wonder, "I wonder if I lost weight?" I try to close my eyes, "I wonder... I wonder". I can't stand it anymore so I get up, disrobe, and weigh myself. Whether the scale moved or not doesn't matter, I've already gotten my mind all awake. :-( The past couple of days I stopped the mid-morning weigh-ins, but I'm still waking up between 1-3 am and can't go to sleep. I need to get a hold of this issue before it gets worse.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @blambo61 Thank You so much for this information, it will help me sooo much :)
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    -1lb for the week so far. CW 209. Fasting about 20-hrs 5-6 days/week. Eating ad libitum when I eat. Watching carbs and limiting refined sugars and grains (not 100% but very little) but allowing whole grains, fruit, and some starchy vegetables. Snacking on nuts and sometimes berries w/cream after dinner. Running going well. I've went from a 10:50 min/mile pace on my non-race days to about 10:00 today (for 3-miles) in the last two weeks.

Great report! Especially like the nuts in your diet. But the running - now that's just plain awesome!!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My ideas on weight loss are:

1. Watch what you eat - little refined sugars and grains for reduction in calories and also to keep insulin down and for keeping insulin sensitive, get your protein in, eat good food to get your micro-nutrients in, eat ACV for reducing blood sugar levels and inflamation. Make sure you eat fiber also, it helps buffer blood sugar too.

2. Watch when you eat - don't snack (especially sugary stuff which include refined grains), fast to get a calorie reduction and also to improve insulin sensitivity so you don't need as much insulin so you can metabolize fat easier

3. Watch how much you eat - the above two help with this. If you need more help, cut back on portions when you do eat. I would rather fast and eat a lot when I eat than split it up and never get full

4. Exercise - there could be a cortisol increase which will stop some fat loss but there is a deficit contribution also that I think overrides the cortisol effect. Your metabolism will speed up which makes it easier to have a deficit. You can eat more without it hurting you. Plus being weak skinny isn't good either (better than fat though). Exercise gets people in trouble cause they will gain muscle and retain a little water and get discouraged but it is only temporary (you will gain muscle quickly to start and then it slows, you don't keep storing more and more water) and body % fat is improving. Obese people must be especially careful not to injure themselves. Really obese people may postpone this tell they get some weight loss so they don't get discouraged or injured.

very sound advice in my opinion.

• shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Getting enough sleep is always an issue. I try to nap where I can but when I can't get to bed until after 11pm and am up at 4:20am, it's tough!
    Sound advice indeed! I am a firm believer in exercise! I try to get as much exercise as possible in a day. When I didn't exercise I had terrible insomnia. Now I don't sleep much but it's high quality sleep!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Agree with the value of @blambo61 comments.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »

Ugh, this is true and I've fallen back into a pattern of mid-morning insomnia five days in a row now and not being able to go back to sleep--a problem I thought I had nipped in the bud for good, after nearly two decades of suffering from mid-morning insomnia, for two months prior to OMAD. I haven't cheated, I still have energy, but it's going to catch up with me. I'll be honest, at first I thought it was my body adjusting to OMAD, but I honestly think it's a mind problem. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel so light. I think about how light I feel. Then I lie there and wonder, "I wonder if I lost weight?" I try to close my eyes, "I wonder... I wonder". I can't stand it anymore so I get up, disrobe, and weigh myself. Whether the scale moved or not doesn't matter, I've already gotten my mind all awake. :-( The past couple of days I stopped the mid-morning weigh-ins, but I'm still waking up between 1-3 am and can't go to sleep. I need to get a hold of this issue before it gets worse.

when that happens to me, i will read for 10-minutes and then try to go back to sleep. it seems to re-set the brain and I go back to sleep better doing that, otherwise, I probably won't go to sleep.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Blood pressure this morning at the docs was 112/78! 17-months ago it was about 147/95 or close to it. This website and fasting has helped me a lot!
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    AWESOME!!! :)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    :):):)
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with insomnia and nightmares as well... :/ and im exercising.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    @blambo61 thank you for the tip!
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Options
    -2lbs down for the week so far.
    CW 208
    SW 252.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Way to go!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    That BP is something to be proud of. You've made huge progress!
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    -2lbs down for the week so far.
    CW 208
    SW 252.

So far??? That's Awesome!!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Ran 5k today in 29:20 which is a 9:24-min/mile pace. Was 14-sec faster than last week but it was a different course so hard to compare. Went out a little fast and then tried to hang on. Had long hill so was difficult. Ran fasted except had a couple scoops of UCAN an hour before I went. Didn't bonk and stomach felt good. Hope to be able to break 29-min on a flatter course. I was happy with it!