How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Tried to do a 5K yesterday and it was looking like a PR and then I had to pee. :'( 2.4 miles in 25 minutes. I'm going to go again today because the weather is being a little milder than usual and I can't go tomorrow. I'll pee first though.

I was going to go to a boot camp class, but it seems like a shame to waste decent weather.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    After completing the C25K program, I'm working on increasing my speed until I can run a 10- minute mile. I want to complete a 5k in 30 minutes like the app encourages. I'm holding off on my 5k to 10k program until I can successfully run that (more than once). I've never done the 10k program so I'm a little nervous about where it'll start me off and want to get stronger before I attempt that distance. Also, having mini goals of doing a 5k each week at a parkrun, as long as I am up in time and don't miss it again, lol! Anyone doing the 10k program yet?
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Anyone doing the 10k program yet?

Nope. I'm just running 5Ks consistently and working on time. I'm going for sub-30 too. Yesterday I did 32:41. I'm also doing hill runs roughly weekly and I think that's been helping a lot. Just running up and down steep hills for an hour or so, resting and walking when I need to.

It's been pretty hot here. I'm trying to keep going so I can acclimate but I may escape to the gym tomorrow evening.

Not sure when I'll start the 10K training. The 10K I'm doing is a lot of climbing, so I'm not sure how much regular training will help anyway. I may start in the fall.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Week one complete, go me! I think I've persuaded myself to do each week twice. Although there's a part of me that wants to push on, the more sensible part keeps reminding me that it's taken me 6 months to get fit enough actually do week one without feeling like I'm dying and also that it's HOTand it's not going to get any cooler here for at least 6 weeks. Common sense says anything more pushing than 3 minute runs in this heat will not be a good idea. So, I think I'll repeat at least the first few weeks and reevaluate in a couple of months time.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Week one complete, go me! I think I've persuaded myself to do each week twice.

Well done for completing the first week!

I would only repeat a week if you really need it. If by the end of day three you feel fine then continue to the next week as it needs to remain a slight challenge. If day three still leaves you really struggling, or you have to add in additional walking breaks then a repeat is fine. But don't repeat them for the sake of it. I was a complete running newbie (who struggles with cardio) at the start and have not had to repeat any weeks, much to my surprise.

• cbailey989
    cbailey989 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on running w6d3 today and it just seems like an insurmountable task! W5d3 was a complete disaster... just struggling with the mental blocks telling me I can't run for 22 min without stopping!
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My foot is feeling better but I haven't tried any real exercise yet. I've been resting for a week now, trying to stay off my feet as much as I can. So I do realize feeling pain free might be just due to no exercise.

But it makes me wonder already if I can jump back where I left off (completed week 5, day one last Friday) or would it be wiser to start week 5 again or even go back to week 4?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My foot is feeling better but I haven't tried any real exercise yet. I've been resting for a week now, trying to stay off my feet as much as I can. So I do realize feeling pain free might be just due to no exercise.

But it makes me wonder already if I can jump back where I left off (completed week 5, day one last Friday) or would it be wiser to start week 5 again or even go back to week 4?

I personally would try repeating WK 4 Day 1 see how you get on and then either continue or try Week 5 Day 1 depending on how you get on.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    I was able to do my parkrun yesterday and my brother joined me. I walked less than I did on the program, but my time was only slightly better than my treadmill time, so I must be running slower outside than on my treadmill. My time was 39:53. My treadmill time was 40:15. Slightly disappointed with it, but there's always room for improvement.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    My time was 39:53. My treadmill time was 40:15. Slightly disappointed with it, but there's always room for improvement.

Don't be disappointed, you still achieved a lot more than everyone who spent those 39:53 on the couch!
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    My time was 39:53. My treadmill time was 40:15. Slightly disappointed with it, but there's always room for improvement.

Don't be disappointed, you still achieved a lot more than everyone who spent those 39:53 on the couch!

Thanks for that insight! I'm going to push myself to run at 5.2mph for 7 minutes today. Did 6 minutes on Thursday at that speed. The rest of my run, I go at 5mph. Hoping doing it slowly will prevent injury and also gradually improve my time at parkrun.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I was able to do my parkrun yesterday and my brother joined me. I walked less than I did on the program, but my time was only slightly better than my treadmill time, so I must be running slower outside than on my treadmill. My time was 39:53. My treadmill time was 40:15. Slightly disappointed with it, but there's always room for improvement.

Most importantly, you learned how different the treadmill and road are...

Although your times are pretty close.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options

Most importantly, you learned how different the treadmill and road are...

Although your times are pretty close.

That's very true. Thank you!

My run today was 40:09 on the treadmill! Definitely learning about my body still!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I've heard that you can set your treadmill at a slight incline to make it more like running outside. But your time is good and will only get better. I'm still pretty envious of proximity to a park run.

I've been sticking with 5Ks and have been at around 32:40 this week. I've knocked 3 minutes off my race time in May, but I'm largely attributing that to getting my thyroid back on track. I'm going to start extending my distance now. I don't think I'm going to follow the bridge program for now, but I'm going to increase distance by a km every couple of weeks. The next couple of weeks are going to be really busy because tech week starts Monday for the musical my teenager is in, but I think I can wedge in three runs a week.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    I've heard that you can set your treadmill at a slight incline to make it more like running outside. But your time is good and will only get better. I'm still pretty envious of proximity to a park run.

I've been sticking with 5Ks and have been at around 32:40 this week. I've knocked 3 minutes off my race time in May, but I'm largely attributing that to getting my thyroid back on track. I'm going to start extending my distance now. I don't think I'm going to follow the bridge program for now, but I'm going to increase distance by a km every couple of weeks. The next couple of weeks are going to be really busy because tech week starts Monday for the musical my teenager is in, but I think I can wedge in three runs a week.

I'm scared to do inclines on my treadmill yet because of how hard it is to run without any incline still. Maybe I'll incorporate that into my goals as well.

You're running pace is fantastic! I can't wait to be running that fast!

Today, I only ran a mile, but walked two more, so I still completed 3 miles. But, I ate out today with my family and had dessert. It's so strange to me why I can resist ice cream at home, but not when I'm out somewhere... Maybe because I don't eat out as often as I eat at home? Same goes for when I'm at a party...I eat everything in sight because I don't want to be rude to the hosts by not eating their food. Strange things I'm learning about myself along this journey.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I am doing another 5k tomorrow - first one since 17th July. Will see what happens. First park run on Saturday :)
    I want a sub-30 5k before I even consider the 10K programme. (Am not sure I even will want to move onto that.)
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I am doing another 5k tomorrow - first one since 17th July. Will see what happens. First park run on Saturday :)
    I want a sub-30 5k before I even consider the 10K programme. (Am not sure I even will want to move onto that.)

Good luck at the parkrun! I'm not able to go this Saturday because my family is going up north for the weekend, but I'm still planning to run a5k, just not with parkrun. I'm hoping to get to at least a 30min 5k before a 10k program, but it feels so far away!!! I'm still at 39:55. I just have to remember that it took me 8-9 weeks of training to even run this long without stopping. Just getting impatient, lol!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I get the impatience! :smiley:
    we can do it!! :)
    I keep telling myself that a 10 second improvement is perfectly acceptable. haha
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to do inclines on my treadmill yet because of how hard it is to run without any incline still. Maybe I'll incorporate that into my goals as well.

The incline suggested is only very minor - something like 1-2 degrees. I really would start doing that because it mimics the outdoors and it's not the sort of incline you'd notice.

@beerfoamy I'm in that frame of mind. Get sub 30 mins and then decide if 10k is even an option. I'm not sure it is at this stage...and even if I decide it is, I'd probably increase distance myself gradually as @TheGaudyMagpie suggested rather than using the bridge programme. I can't quite imagine going back to the run/walk combi.