How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Haha, after I said that, I started the bridge program after all. It was supposed to be 5x8 min/1 min, but that was too hard (44 minutes!) so I did 5x7 min/ 2 min instead. That was still 44 minutes and challenging, but doable. I did 3.91 miles at 11:14 min/mile, and I'm good with that considering that some was walking. I'll do that for this week and then move on to 8 min.

I'm only moving on to 10K because I have a 10K scheduled in September. Otherwise I'd keep working on the 5K. It won't be a fast 10K because it's a mountain trail, but I still want/need to increase my endurance to prepare.

Next week is going to be tough because of the theater schedule, so I'm not sure how much I'll get in.

@MegansMom2011 Thank you for the kind words. I was a fast female runner as a teenager and although that was a long time ago, I think that I still fall into a faster pace than I probably should. I was also training under sub-optimal conditions (a suppressed thyroid) so I have more improvement than I normally would because that health condition is resolved. I'm hoping to get to sub-30 as a result of the distance training. I have a street 5K the week after the 10K and I would loooooove to do sub-30 in that.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    33:07 this morning!

felt tired, got stitch halfway round, was expecting over 34mins

very happy with that. Roll on parkrun Saturday and hopefully a new PB below 33:02
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I repeated week one, completed it for the second time today. Wasn't any easier this time round, although I get it in as early as I can the heat is making it very tough, as is my brain. The first 'run' this morning was agony -shin hurt, knees hurt, calf hurt,- my right shin felt like it was about to snap in half for the second and third. Then it got easier....well at least I didn't wish for death during the other 5x1 minutes. In fact I did 90 seconds for the final 'run' just to prove to my brain that I can do that in preparation for starting week 2 on Monday.
    The scales haven't moved at all this week and I'm losing motivation, feeling fed up that although I'm making progress and starting to get almost bony in some areas, after all these weeks I'm still carting the nasty belly I hate so much about. Sooooo really need to move on next week and cheer myself up by making progress with the program instead of letting my brain come up with all these excuses (it's too hot, my hips/knees/shins can't cope, blah blah blah blah) to hold back.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    I repeated week one, completed it for the second time today. Wasn't any easier this time round, although I get it in as early as I can the heat is making it very tough, as is my brain. The first 'run' this morning was agony -shin hurt, knees hurt, calf hurt,- my right shin felt like it was about to snap in half for the second and third. Then it got easier....well at least I didn't wish for death during the other 5x1 minutes. In fact I did 90 seconds for the final 'run' just to prove to my brain that I can do that in preparation for starting week 2 on Monday.
    The scales haven't moved at all this week and I'm losing motivation, feeling fed up that although I'm making progress and starting to get almost bony in some areas, after all these weeks I'm still carting the nasty belly I hate so much about. Sooooo really need to move on next week and cheer myself up by making progress with the program instead of letting my brain come up with all these excuses (it's too hot, my hips/knees/shins can't cope, blah blah blah blah) to hold back.

def keep going!! maybe run even slower before the pain kicks in. speed comes much later - getting your breathing and muscles used to the motion of running is the main thing at the start.

my belly will not go away either! (after 6 months I have lost around an inch - maybe). I keep reading the boards and telling myself it will eventually go!! Am also focussing on running and weight training more than the scale which helps (have been up and down on the same few pounds recently :P )

You can do this! tell the excuses to naff off! :smiley:

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm only just starting (tonight will be w2d3). Seems pretty okay so far, though.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I have been lurking on this group for a while now. Starting week 9 on Thursday and debating on whether to jump right in to B210K afterwards or repeat week 9 once or do a week somewhere in between.

I am signed up for a 10K at the end of September! I know I will walk part of it but I would like to run as much of it as possible.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The first 'run' this morning was agony -shin hurt, knees hurt, calf hurt,- my right shin felt like it was about to snap in half for the second and third. Then it got easier....well at least I didn't wish for death during the other 5x1 minutes.

How do you run @eleanorhawkins? In the first week I suffered from all that you said, and reading up on running technique and applying it in the remainder of that first week and then the second week fixed that for me. Have a look in this group, there is a pinned thread with helpful links and tips, including a link covering technique.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    The first 'run' this morning was agony -shin hurt, knees hurt, calf hurt,- my right shin felt like it was about to snap in half for the second and third. Then it got easier....well at least I didn't wish for death during the other 5x1 minutes.

How do you run @eleanorhawkins? In the first week I suffered from all that you said, and reading up on running technique and applying it in the remainder of that first week and then the second week fixed that for me. Have a look in this group, there is a pinned thread with helpful links and tips, including a link covering technique.

Thanks, I'll do so though I think it's more a case of weak muscles and dodgy joints complaining as I'm fine after I warm up and persuade my brain we're doing it.
    I'd intended to start week 2 today but wasn't going to have time before it got too hot so I actually talked myself into getting up early and doing it yesterday morning... me, getting up early to run on a Sunday? Unheard of! It was fine, calves felt a little achey for the rest of the day but nothing unbearable. Day 2 tomorrow!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I'm pretty much giving up on this week because of the kid's tech week. I did run early on Friday - 5 x 7min/2min (how's that for shorthand I just made up?). However, I got cornered by the costuming director and she needs some help this week so I'll be working extra shifts for alterations. I'd rather run, but success in junior theater is somewhat dependent on family involvement, so I'll be sewing.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am back in action, woohoo! Completed week 4 again, and starting week 5 tomorrow (before the pain in my right foot, I got till week 5, day 1). Repeating week 4 went okay, first run was a bit slower but I took it easier. Second and third were same pace as before taking a break (my pace is around 8.30-9.00 mins / km, including the warm up and cool-down walks. I still struggled a bit with the last 1-2 minutes of the last 5 min run part. Up till that point I am doing fine and feeling good but something happens those last minutes but I have kept going, just slowing my pace.

Starting week 5 again tomorrow. And that means I will most likely be going for the 20 min run during the weekend, not so sure if I am ready.

I am also wanting to sign up for a 5K run in September :-o I have been putting off registering for it..
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Week 2 day 2 done. Wasn't easy but I managed. My calves have been feeling a little tight since I did the first day of this 'week' on Sunday, not actually painful but like I need to stretch them a lot to release the tension. Thought it would make running sore but found that by upping the incline on the treadmill one setting more than I usually do it was fine.
    Talking of treadmill I think I'm developing a not entirely healthy BDSM-style relationship with mine, it has me completely under its spell..... pain (ok, slight exageration there!) to pleasure and back again, excitement and expectation to dread and back again.
    Oh and I discovered something else about treadmill running too..... while music and headphones are really good to distract me and stop me watching the clock, trying to match my pace to the beat when it is a different speed to what the machine is set at can lead to falling flat on one's face!
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I'm right there with you @eleanorhawkins - feeling very unmotivated. It started with a big argument between my husband and me a few days ago. We are seeing a therapist tonight, so hopefully that'll help. But, although we've basically resolved our argument, it kicked me down into a little bit of depression, causing me to lose motivation to run. Yesterday, I slept all day and was still tired when I woke up. I always feel better and happier when I exercise (especially consistent exercise), so I really need to just get back on the saddle. But my fear is there and worry if I'll be able to run again starting where I left off. I am tired of repeating weeks of progress and just want to be at a goal already. My mini goal of being at 162.2 by Saturday (my birthday) isn't going to happen and I'm just feeling totally defeated. Maybe I need to change my goals to better measure my progress rather than with the scale, since I'm doing this for my health, not a pant size.
  • eleanorhawkins
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm right there with you @eleanorhawkins - feeling very unmotivated. It started with a big argument between my husband and me a few days ago. We are seeing a therapist tonight, so hopefully that'll help. But, although we've basically resolved our argument, it kicked me down into a little bit of depression, causing me to lose motivation to run. Yesterday, I slept all day and was still tired when I woke up. I always feel better and happier when I exercise (especially consistent exercise), so I really need to just get back on the saddle. But my fear is there and worry if I'll be able to run again starting where I left off. I am tired of repeating weeks of progress and just want to be at a goal already. My mini goal of being at 162.2 by Saturday (my birthday) isn't going to happen and I'm just feeling totally defeated. Maybe I need to change my goals to better measure my progress rather than with the scale, since I'm doing this for my health, not a pant size.

Ugh, I swear husbands can be more trouble than they're worth a lot of the time, mine is being 'difficult' atm too so I hear ya loud and clear. We have to take care of, and concentrate on, ourselves (and kids when applicable obviously) I think and learn not to allow our minds to be influenced so much by others. Re getting back into the program, why don't you just talk yourself into going for the odd 10 minute walk to start with? It's small enough for your brain not to convince you you're too tired or depressed, will give you a few minutes of 'you time' and you'll probably find your body actually wanting more once you get going.
    From what I've read, many people have to put C25k on a back burner for a few days for various reasons and have no trouble carrying on from where they had got to, so hopefully you will be able to too.
    Hope tonight helps you to feel better too.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    did my first parkrun at the weekend.

34:54 official time
    34:24 on the Garmin, which also showed 3.23 miles travelled not 3.1

Now I am going with the distance being off on the Garmin cos that isn't spectacularly accurate.
    But the timer? I am taking my Garmin time!

Either way it is around 2 mins slower than the times I have been doing. Longer route, 3 hills rather than one - and odd running with loadsa people. Stuff to work on!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    did my first parkrun at the weekend.

34:54 official time
    34:24 on the Garmin, which also showed 3.23 miles travelled not 3.1

Now I am going with the distance being off on the Garmin cos that isn't spectacularly accurate.
    But the timer? I am taking my Garmin time!

Either way it is around 2 mins slower than the times I have been doing. Longer route, 3 hills rather than one - and odd running with loadsa people. Stuff to work on!!

Finding the right spot in the pack to start is definitely a learning experience. Too far up and you're in the way, too far back and people are in your way.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    @stanmann571 - yeah - they had start positions set up. I was in the 'finishing in more than 30mins' section haha. But yeah, I did spot a couple of people up there in the 'start here if you think you will finish under 20mins' area that I passed. Apparently there are a few people that do it every week and just get in the way! don't wanna be one of those. It did spread out alot after the first 100 yards. :)
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    edited August 2017
    Options
    But my fear is there and worry if I'll be able to run again starting where I left off. I am tired of repeating weeks of progress and just want to be at a goal already. My mini goal of being at 162.2 by Saturday (my birthday) isn't going to happen and I'm just feeling totally defeated. Maybe I need to change my goals to better measure my progress rather than with the scale, since I'm doing this for my health, not a pant size.

I've had as much as a week off and usually after the first run I'm back on track. It might be a bit harder, but I think that's mostly psychological. You don't lose progress that fast. Do one run that you let yourself be kind of eh on and then go back to where you left off.

I feel you on weight. I've been hovering around 165 since the first couple of weeks. I get huge fluctuations, probably because of one of the meds I'm on and my wonky hormones. I can't even detect a change in my measurements. The thing is, I'm in a smaller size and I've had people comment that I've lost weight. So the running is most likely doing something, even if you can't measure it yourself. And even if you're not seeing a lot of changes now, you're building a basic fitness level, and you can up your game later to focus more on a deficit if you need to. My plan is to worry more about weight in the winter, when I can't run as much. For now I want to fuel my body and see running progress. When it starts getting dark early, I'll shift my focus to eating at a deficit and lifting weights.

If you're in the low to mid 160s, you might not actually see any real weight loss if you increase your fitness. It's a reasonable weight range for someone fit, even though it's technically in the overweight BMI (depending on your height -- I'm assuming it's average). So I think you're probably on the right track to focus more on fitness level at this point.

OK, so they didn't ask me to help with costumes (and I didn't offer -- the costuming director is... political). So I have two evenings this week - tonight and tomorrow night. The next available time to do anything will be Saturday morning. I'm torn between running and the gym tonight. I was originally going to do the gym because I'm tired, but I think running will be better for my program. I last ran on Friday, so it will be halfway through the sad no-run week. And then I'll go to the gym tomorrow night. Any thoughts? I'm thinking it doesn't matter all that much.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Oof. 80F and super humid tonight. I'm not running.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Totally agree with @TheGaudyMagpie try not to focus too much on the scale, you've achieved so much in the last few months, you've lost 25lb and you're doing great with your C25K. Not sure if you've started your strength training stuff yet, once you get going with that I am sure you will see a whole host of non-scale victories :smile:

Try a run, do what you can, you can build back up to where you were, even if you can't jump straight back in. I was worried about that when I pulled my muscle but managed to do a full 20 minutes for the first time. Believe in yourself! You can do it!
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. Hubby and I had a very productive therapy session today. I actually did my run before the appt. I ran for 7 minutes at 5.2mph and 23 minutes at 5mph, with 10 minutes at 4 mph for warm-up and cool down. So, thank you all for all your encouragement and confidence in me. I'm so grateful to reach of you. I'm planning on starting to strength train after I reach my mini goal of 162.2. Hopefully it won't be too much longer! You guys are the best!