Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @fitoverfortymom (sorry about the wrong tag- I had 50 on the brain. Bet you'll be fit at 50 too :wink: )

I was trying to figure out what the marathoners do. I mean they run a lot of miles and tend to be lower BF. I can't remember where I saw it, but it said the weight loss is in the long slow miles. I don't know how they manage the hunger.

I get tired of eating salad all the time, so I've kinda backslid. I did find that on my long run a gu (or the like) helps tremendously. It's only 100 calories, figure that won't undo my run calories, especially if I can have a better quality run. That worked ok too. Feed the run. And I didn't seem to be as hungry if I had mid run fuel.

I think we should have some group meals or menu kinda thing. Sometimes its easier if you know someone else is suffering along side you!

Like:
    Monday we have a salad for lunch
    Tuesday salad
    Wednesday salad
    Thursday salad
    Friday tuna day.

Lol! You get the gist!

Anyone interested? @hanlonsk ? @seanevan10 @MobyCarp @karllundy ? (Sorry I can't go back a page for others, or I'll lose my post)
  • Elise4270

I feel like I just unlocked a whole other level on a video game or something and just when I had weight loss level figured out, I have this whole other level to figure out. I guess that's what keeps this interesting, eh?

Yes! Isn't it great!!!
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    I am interested, in theory... I am not sure how well I would do at it... as I seem to be struggling with even planning my TV dinners this week. But it may be worth trying.

I don't understand the runger... the boyfriend started planning dinner out/with him after long runs because he knew if left to my own devices I wouldn't feel hungry enough to eat...but he knows if food is out in front of me, I will ALWAYS eat.

Now weights,... omg... I swear I ate a whole chicken in the 24 hours after Sunday's workout.... well, if you count eggs, I technically ate several chickens....
  • Elise4270
    @hanlonsk figure say if dinner is your weakness (mine is because I don't plan-and just graze. But I always eat out at lunch too). We could have meal "together" on a particular day or just say eat this meal once during the week, depending on the particular challenge one has.

Or maybe in reverse.. no pizza this week or add raw veggies 2x? Or what ever the weakness/challenge is.

Maybe there is a recipe that can be shared and we try to eat it in a given week? This, in theory, would replace a bad choice or offer support and baby steps to eating better.

I say if anyone is interested get the ball rolling. I'm just not eatting bug burgers :wink: Everything else I'm probably okay with.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    @Elise4270 - New recipes are a danger zone for me. If they look good, and particularly if they make more than one meal's worth, it will be a struggle to eat how much I need to and not twice as much as I need to. I do best with routine that has small variability, and tracking everything.

That having been said, I had a major dietary failure yesterday evening. It was the annual GVH party. I gave myself permission to go off discipline, but I went much further off than I should have. Ate too much of good stuff, and way, way too much of desserts. Ended up feeling bloated and overstuffed like I haven't for years. Between yesterday morning and this morning I gained 5 pounds.

Now, probably 3 pounds of that 5 will come right back off as the bloat recedes. But I might have eaten enough to put on a full pound of real fat, assuming my body has time to digest and store it. So it's back to discipline today, and hope that the ankle gets better soon so I can more easily take off another pound and get back into a comfort zone with the scale. So far, so good. I haven't been all that hungry today, and it's been pretty easy to keep my food under control. Tomorrow might be more challenging than today, but by then I should be back in maintenance eating routine. I have a good start on the routine today.

Looking forward . . . I have another binge opportunity next Tuesday, and a dinner hosted by Fidelity for clients. It's at a high end restaurant, and I hope it's individual service rather than buffet. Buffet style is danger zone for my self control.
  • Elise4270
    @MobyCarp You weren't alone over eating yesterday. I did good until I found a new show to binge watch and DH brought home pizza. I didn't run yesterday- so like you, all I can hope for, is that my morning coffee gets a fair share of those calories moving or skipping breakfast and a small lunch will quickly make up for it.

Feel free to share any of your one serving easy to track meals.

I wish I had sage advice for the dinner Tuesday. I have heard eat before you go, that way something small is satisfactory.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    It's my TOM, so now it makes so much more sense why I've wanted ALL the food. You'd think after 42 years, it wouldn't come as a surprise, but sometimes it's like every month it's a totally new thing. Whatever.

I've decided I'm going to stick with my .5lb per week deficit, eat some exercise calories on run days, but focus more on aligning my meals. I seem to feel hungrier in the mornings (duh, because I run), so I'm going to either make my breakfast bigger or build in 2nd breakfast. My breakfasts have typically been smaller (like under 300 calories), but I'm going to bump those closer to 450 (1st and 2nd breakfast combined) and play with the macros a bit to keep myself feeling less like I need to eat everything before lunch. My hope is that I can pinch at lunchtime a little better and half a lunch/afternoon snack combo more the size of my typical breakfast (under 300 calories) and still have some decent calories left for bigger dinner.

Eating has become so routine during weight loss and easy to manage, but I'm just going to rearrange the furniture a bit to make it fit the running me.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Hi everyone!

I have problems with my diet at times. I have to eat gluten free (diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago) and some days I eat and eat and eat because I can't have what I *really* want. I recognize this now and am working to change it.

Celiacs tend to gain weight when going gluten free because our body starts to heal and absorb nutrients again. So I gained a ton of weight in the first few months. Then I got depressed and gave up. So I am back at and trying to lose all the post diagnosis weight. :)
  • Elise4270
    @RunsOnEspresso I went through an elimination diet a few years back, no dairy, nuts, soy, gluten, or nitrates/sulfites. Bold I try to avoid. The rest I'm undecided. Yogurt does not make my belly happy, most cheese is fine. Gluten? I tested negative but since soy is so often found with it.. I keep it to a minimum (unless pizza is involved- then im stupid).

It was difficult to figure out what to eat. My go to has been rice, lean meat and veggies. It's definitely helped me make better choices, most of the time. I did eat 5 pieces of pizza 2 days ago and am still sick-ish from it. Eventually, I'll be smart enough and disciplined enough to avoid these bad choices- or I'll just get ready to not feel like *kitten*.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso my daughter has Celiac. Was diagnosed at 9 and is now 20. It's definitely tough at times, because eating is never quite normal for her. She really just tries to stick with the basics. Lean meats that she seasons herself, rice/potatoes/quinoa, and tons of fresh fruits and veggies. She tolerates dairy well, and certified oats occasionally, and quality GF bread (like Udi's, Schar, Katz). She also eats Cheerios. I'm not necessarily pro-Cheerios for a Celiac due to how they 'remove' the gluten vs using certified GF oats, but she's an adult and it's her choice (and it's a food that is somewhat affordable and highly available).

99% of the struggle with Celiac, IMO as a caretaker, was avoiding cross-contamination vs. trying to find food that was GF.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Elise4270 Oh, I eat a lot of GF pizza. There is a lot of it out there! Thankfully gluten seems to be my only issue. It's easy for me to stay disciplined because just cross contamination can put me out for a month or more fatigue wise.

@fitoverfortymom I do eat Cheerios and Lucky Charms as well. I've heard a lot of people have problems with them, but so far I haven't. I just get bored of chex and haven't found another GF cereal I like, most tastes like cardboard. For me, a lot of my struggle is psychological. I almost wish I had been diagnosed when I was younger, rather than at 34. I've had issues as far back as high school and probably before but I really remember it getting bad then. I was told it's IBS and sent on my way.
  • Elise4270
    I saw an article on FODMAPS today. Of course I've read about it before. But I think I know enough about the foods I can and can't have to discern if this is a thing for me.

I'm going to conclude it is, and move forward.

Happy eating everyone. Be kind to your gut.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    I have nothing to add but need to be in this group. Yesterday's diary is mostly beer and cheese ... :(

I look forward to reading through this post for ideas. xo
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited September 2017
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I do best when I use Matt Fitzgerald's DQS app. He also has a book "racing weight". I read it. But ate cookies the whole time.... :blush:

This is me. I'm reading a book about nutrition to reduce migraines. Great book - and best read in bed after dinner, which involved melted cheese, and during the inhalation of my nightly chocolate truffle.

ETA: @Elise4270 I would be up to trying a new recipe once a week. I am absolutely stuck in a rut with food and don't cook much, so it would be good for me to have accountability for trying something new (and healthy).

• Elise4270
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I do best when I use Matt Fitzgerald's DQS app. He also has a book "racing weight". I read it. But ate cookies the whole time.... :blush:

This is me. I'm reading a book about nutrition to reduce migraines. Great book - and best read in bed after dinner, which involved melted cheese, and during the inhalation of my nightly chocolate truffle.

ETA: @Elise4270 I would be up to trying a new recipe once a week. I am absolutely stuck in a rut with food and don't cook much, so it would be good for me to have accountability for trying something new (and healthy).

Okay. I'll look for a few to chose from. Might be a bit. We have class, mass, lunch, then clean frantically before company at 3. :smiley:

Food gives me migraines too. But so does PMS and stress (usually just if DH and I argue, hes gotten good at understanding I'm in need of a different approach).

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. They are a staple here. I get 2 new books to read today. I am not a reader. So avoiding snacks will be challenging. I have committed to trying to actually read our assigned books.

Do you have anything in particular that I should look for or to be able to substitute? I have a go to grocery list of things I like, and should eat. That may be a good start for us as we work on menu ideas.
  • MobyCarp
    4leighbee wrote: »

Okay. I'll look for a few to chose from. Might be a bit. We have class, mass, lunch, then clean frantically before company at 3. :smiley:

Food gives me migraines too. But so does PMS and stress (usually just if DH and I argue, hes gotten good at understanding I'm in need of a different approach).

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. They are a staple here.
    I get 2 new books to read today. I am not a reader. So avoiding snacks will be challenging. I have committed to trying to actually read our assigned books.

Do you have anything in particular that I should look for or to be able to substitute? I have a go to grocery list of things I like, and should eat. That may be a good start for us as we work on menu ideas.

Just a thought: I haven't eaten grilled cheese sandwiches in a long time. The last time I made them, I used no butter. Put the cheese between two slices of bread, and grilled it in a no-stick skillet with butter flavored spray oil. It wasn't totally like a *real* grilled cheese sandwich, but it was good enough to go with my tomato soup. I considered toasting the bread then microwaving the sandwich to melt the cheese, but never got around to testing that.

In a similar vein, I do microwave home fries quite a bit. Started out with microwave hash browns, then decided shredding the potatoes was too much cleanup work. Essentially, that's chop up however much potato I need, add salt, pepper, and minced onion, and microwave covered for about 2/3 to 3/4 the time I'd microwave the same weight of baked potato. And I get hash browns/home fries without the oil, considerably fewer calories.

Of course, this works best when preparing food for one person. Portion control happens before the potato gets cooked. If you're feeding a family, portion control will be more fluid. Also, the microwave will take longer and you may have trouble cooking enough potatoes in one batch.
  • Elise4270
    Oh my goodness @MobyCarp ! No butter??? Gah! I'm all about da bud-duh! Sourdough, Irish butter and any cheese available and I couldn't be happier. I haven't liked tomato soup with my grilled cheese since I was a kid. Guess my tastes have changed. I did have a good tomato basil soup at schlotzskys once. It'd do with da cheese.

We don't do to many potatoes here. I tend to add to many calories to them. But once it gets cold outside, I do like the sweet potatoes with cinnamon, unsweetened coco and butter! Ya more bud-duh! Mmm!

In a pinch for a one-two person serving, that microwave potato hash brown sounds like a good option. I might have to put that on as a weekend breakfast item! Thanks! It'd go great with our eggs, cheese, peppers, onions in a muffin tin!
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2017
    alxdiw2tozhd.jpg
    jhrtthgevkh7.jpg
    Okay. I flipped my Racing Weight Cookbook open to two random pages and thought these look good enough to eat! (Of course, I hate this book because I want to eat everything in it- but that IS a good thing).

One is a Fig & Bran Bar.
    The other is Tomato-Basil Soup with Pearl Barley. How great to flip to tomato soup @MobyCarp ?

The challenge. Try Kevin's taters, one of these or share a recipe if neither of these suit your pallet.

ETA really hate the inconsistency here, MFP, with posting pics.
  • MobyCarp
    The spices can be varied with the potatoes. Today, I had salt, garlic powder, and oregano on the potatoes. Less commonly, I might use chili powder, cumin, and red pepper; or ginger and curry powder. When sweet potatoes come up in rotation, I'll do them either with nutmeg and cinnamon, or with oregano. If it's nutmeg and cinnamon on the sweet potatoes, it will also be nutmeg on the eggs.

I think the single serving preparation is the key for me. If I have to do all the prep work again, I won't go back for seconds. If I make two servings now, I might eat both of them instead of saving one for tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    edited September 2017
    I do love it @MobyCarp! I told dh about it, he'd rather I fry up some hash browns! Lol!!! He'll eat what I fix :wink: