Scale, why should I dump thee? Let me count the ways....

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    tomato is a vegetable according to the government as confirmed by the supreme court

stupid, but true

Intelligence is knowing the tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it onto a fruit salad....

Does this mean my fruit salad of zucchini, tomato and avocado is no good?

Just don't put ketchup on it...

I never liked that red sugar sludge.

A perfect way to make a tomato taste like *assparagus*
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Dump>
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    <Dump>

???Are you sure???

I think that's a different thread....lol
  • RalfLott
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    <Dump>

???Are you sure???

I think that's a different thread....lol

:o
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Time for a bumpty-bump.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs this weekend being incredibly active and not overeating (I think)...today I am in a pair of jeans that I struggled to get into last week and instead of being tight, I could actually fit a golf ball in this waistband with me...maybe it's just water, maybe I even gained a bit of muscle or lost a bit of fat, who knows, but for sure the scale is not being nice so I'll listen to the jeans!!!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <DUMP !>
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Done. Thanks for the reminder.
  • RalfLott
    edited September 2017
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    @RalfLott I love Butter Bob!!!

Where did he go?
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks but I very much like my scale. It's a great tool to help me understand how my body reacts to different stimulus(ie. food, exercise, alcohol). I won't say i've never been frustrated at it lol ... but when I am I use that to motivate me to make some sort of positive change.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I do weigh in daily, don't track the number unless it is a new low one. But if I bounce up, I like to look over what I have done for the past few days. Keeps me on track. I am at goal weight, actually below it by a few lbs. and this is how I do it. Yeah, it can frustrate me like crazy at times but it tells me my BMI and how many cals. to maintain that weight. So I guess I have a healthy relationship to my scale. But my clothes have a say so in things as well. Don't count on just one method of feed back.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Your sneaky scale is the Sméagol of your household gadgets - its treacherous ways will not stop till it's been consigned to the flames (or dumpster)!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit aria that logs my weight automatically into the app (and links over to here). Its just habit to get up in the morning, pee, weigh, get up for the day. I barely look at the number most days - just a quick mental note, nothing that I stress over. Every few weeks I will look at the chart and thats where the insights come - so easy to see trends (i.e. every monday morning I am up 2-3 pounds over Friday morning due to weekend family eating different. By the end of the week, its back down again (water weight!) Seeing those "humps" and seeing that the trend for the prior 4 weeks is overall still down, I know I am on the right track and just to keep on.

I like data. I dont like obsessing for a single day's weight. So this works pretty well for me.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I hate how much power the scale has over me, my mood. I know, logically, it should not rule me like it does.

I know and often say, it is not the only metric, it is not even necessarily the best metric. Unfortunately, it is still the most common metric.

In my experience, that is what people ask or mention. "How much weight have you lost?" "How many pounds this week?" "Wow you've lost weight."

From doctors too. "You need to lose XX pounds." or "Come back when you're under XXX pounds." or that sort of thing. It's never "I want you to feel 17% better." or "Come back when you're down three dress sizes."

This is the disconnect, the cognative dissonance that I feel when approaching the scale.

I know, logically, that regardless of whatever number it displays, I'm the fittest I've been since probably the 1980's. I know that almost every piece of clothing I own is now loose. (The only remaning clothes still tight are things I've kept from waaaaaay back that I'll soon fit into again.) I know that the number on the scale does not change how I look, how my clothes fit, or the progress I've made in the past ~22 months.

And yet, if that number is higher than it was last week, I will feel crummy. I will literally feel bad for a day, or two, or three, depending how much higher that number is. Conversely if the number is lower, I'll feel good. Energized, happy.

I don't like that the scale has this power over my mood. But I don't know how to stop it. And I can't just stop weighing myself, because of aforementioned doctors. (Lose xx pounds, get under xxx weight, et cetera.) And then, as my dad used to say, "How do you know you're winning, if you don't keep score?" :wink:

Finally, despite the way it affects my mood, I do not let it affect my behavior. Whether up or down, I don't let the scale or my mood drive me off plan, either to celebrate or to assuage my sorrows.

I just want to get the number off the scale without also getting all the emotions. Maybe someday I'll be able to do that.

Edited to add: It feels like the scale's power is greater now than it has been in the past. As of last Sunday, I'm 2 lbs away from a big milestone, and 15 lbs away from a major milestone, so it feels like every week has the potential to be a step forward or two steps back.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I have a fitbit aria that logs my weight automatically into the app (and links over to here). Its just habit to get up in the morning, pee, weigh, get up for the day. I barely look at the number most days - just a quick mental note, nothing that I stress over. Every few weeks I will look at the chart and thats where the insights come - so easy to see trends (i.e. every monday morning I am up 2-3 pounds over Friday morning due to weekend family eating different. By the end of the week, its back down again (water weight!) Seeing those "humps" and seeing that the trend for the prior 4 weeks is overall still down, I know I am on the right track and just to keep on.

I like data. I dont like obsessing for a single day's weight. So this works pretty well for me.

I keep thinking I need to get that scale, since I & DH both use Fitbits. We currently just hop on and record it in a notebook that is nearby. I'd love it to self log :). Maybe Santa will be nice and bring me one this year? But honestly my current scale registers the same as my Dr. office does, I have weighed before driving over with the same clothes etc. and they match up within .01 lb. So mine is in great working order.
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is my motto where scales are concerned: "The LORD detests differing weights, and dishonest scales do not please him." Proverbs 20:23... Like I always say the Bible is like Ragu, it's in there :smiley: And thus the reason I avoid scales at all costs (until my dr. makes me weigh) :smiley:
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »

Edited to add: It feels like the scale's power is greater now than it has been in the past. As of last Sunday, I'm 2 lbs away from a big milestone, and 15 lbs away from a major milestone, so it feels like every week has the potential to be a step forward or two steps back.

Sometimes this milestones even though they drive us turn into mood killers as well. Once I had a goal I was trying to meet and I was finally within 1 lb. I had lost no less than 1 lb. every week so I knew I would meet the goal the next time I weighed in. That was the only week that I lost less than 1 lb. Only lost .7. And even though I had lost at this point 42.7 lbs that failure to lose that .3 extra ounces I needed to meet the goal that week made me want to cry. And as I was sitting there trying not to cry I was also berating myself for being so childish as to not be happy. I had still lost weight....I had not gained.....