Who is racing this weekend?

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I'll be running Race with Grace 10K on US Thanksgiving Day. This will be the 7th consecutive year I've participated, going back to when I became a runner in 2011 at age 55. I don't expect a great time, because I'm nursing a couple of aches; but I'll keep the RWG streak alive.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Run for Pie 10K tomorrow morning. It's supposed to be about 65 degrees at the race start. I am really not used to weather like that for a turkey trot! I haven't raced this distance in over a year, so I'm hoping for a good shot at beating my PR.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    5k trail race tomorrow, with my son doing the kid race. He decided he LOVES running! Logistically, I'm wondering if I can check a 7-year-old at the bag drop while I'm running...
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Racing the Helen Half Marathon trail run in Helen, GA on Saturday. Gun time at 9:00 looks like it will be a balmy 33° and sunny. Last couple years the course has been on the short side of 12 miles, not the full half-marathon 13.1. I'm OK with that.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    Running the Houston Half Marathon this Sunday 01/14/2018. This will be the 4th year in a row.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    I'm registered for a low key 5 mile race on Saturday. Forecast is for 10-15 mph NNW wind, snow showers, and temperature around 13º F (-11º C) at gun time. I'm coming back from a quad injury, and it will be a race day call whether I go run it easy or take a DNS.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Took a DNS. Running at 10 AM yesterday would have been okay, but I couldn't deal with 8 inches of snow in my driveway at 6 AM plus the 19 mile commute through a winter storm warning to the race site. Maybe I would have got up early, cleared the driveway, and made it to the race if I'd been totally healthy; but this quad problem has turned me into a weather wimp.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp - that sounds like a wise decision.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Ran the Chevron Houston Marathon (plus the ABB 5K the day before). Perfect weather for both races. This was my second marathon. Could not have asked for better support from friends (plus it's always a well-organized event).
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Got my first race of 2018 on Sunday. It's a 10k which last year I ran in 1:00:13. My plan is to run it in under an hour this time. The weather forecast is a mix of sun and clouds with temperatures of around 40 deg F. Considering we're about to get around 4" of snow today and it's been below freezing for days now, I'll take it.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Hellooo so I'm a beginner runner..I started c25k like 2-3 months ago? i got to week 7 and ditched the app and decided to slow my pace and just run as far as I could. Started on the treadmill, now i'm incorporating more outside runs too. I have a 5k on 3-11. Which i am psyched about, because last night I ran 5k outside for the first time without stopping. And there were some decent hills..I think the 5k race is mostly flat which will be awesome. I go really slow really really slow..my splits last night were lik 16:25, 17 something, and 18 something. so It took me 54 minutes to run 5k..but I didn't walk AT ALL..and i signed up for another 5k April 14th. I'm already looking into possibly doing half marathons, and marathons at some point..i just read an article about a woman who's 288 lbs, did a 20 week marathon training program, and ran a whole marathon. I've lost 40 lbs, i'm at 242 now..so if she can do it..surely i can do it? sorry for typing so much but i'm really freaking psyched about this whole running thing.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Got a 10K this weekend. Second one this year. First was kinda icy (-13C) but sunny, so not too bad. Time was 1:05. Weather is kinda iffy and it may snow, so I'm not looking for a great time, but it's for charity.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    alc649 wrote: »
    Hellooo so I'm a beginner runner..I started c25k like 2-3 months ago? i got to week 7 and ditched the app and decided to slow my pace and just run as far as I could. Started on the treadmill, now i'm incorporating more outside runs too. I have a 5k on 3-11. Which i am psyched about, because last night I ran 5k outside for the first time without stopping. And there were some decent hills..I think the 5k race is mostly flat which will be awesome. I go really slow really really slow..my splits last night were lik 16:25, 17 something, and 18 something. so It took me 54 minutes to run 5k..but I didn't walk AT ALL..and i signed up for another 5k April 14th. I'm already looking into possibly doing half marathons, and marathons at some point..i just read an article about a woman who's 288 lbs, did a 20 week marathon training program, and ran a whole marathon. I've lost 40 lbs, i'm at 242 now..so if she can do it..surely i can do it? sorry for typing so much but i'm really freaking psyched about this whole running thing.

YES!!!!

Slowly but surely you will get there. Congrats on the 5k and the healthier you!!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Got a 10K this weekend. Second one this year. First was kinda icy (-13C) but sunny, so not too bad. Time was 1:05. Weather is kinda iffy and it may snow, so I'm not looking for a great time, but it's for charity.

@Tacklewasher what did you think of 10k as a race distance? I always look forward to my 10k races more than my 5k's.

@alc649 from C25K to marathon - stay psyched, you can do it. And good luck with your 5k on the 11th. I've got a 5k on the 10th. It's not one I've run before, so I don't know what to expect, but I'm sure it will be fun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

@Tacklewasher what did you think of 10k as a race distance? I always look forward to my 10k races more than my 5k's.

All I know is it was cold. My beard and mustache grew an inch with ice during the race. I've done 10K before so I'm good with the distance. Did the local BMO marathon (did the 10K) last year and leading up to it I surprised myself by hitting 10K just on a run while camping.

I do 5K 3 times a week so it's just normal for me now. God that still sounds weird to me.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    @dewd2 Thank you for the encouragement :) I'm IN LOVE with running..It's funny because a few months ago I never would've thought I'd be able to run a mile without stopping, let alone 5k. To actually like running and not dread it is something great and new for me..

@BruinsGal_91 Thank you! Hope your goes well too :) It's funny when I was on my 5k run the other night, on mile 2 I was like..man I I could run 10k..at 2.6 I was like holy *kitten* im ready to be done. BUT there were some decent inclines I went up around the end so I think that had something to do with it. I'm just glad to know I'll be able to do the 5k on the 11th with no walking! Even if it is at the slowest pace possible. lol
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

All I know is it was cold. My beard and mustache grew an inch with ice during the race. I've done 10K before so I'm good with the distance. Did the local BMO marathon (did the 10K) last year and leading up to it I surprised myself by hitting 10K just on a run while camping.

I do 5K 3 times a week so it's just normal for me now. God that still sounds weird to me.

I should mention on the 10K I did, I came in dead last in my age group. :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I should mention on the 10K I did, I came in dead last in my age group. :(

Again, comparison is the thief of joy... you did it! Compare to your previous PB for that race, but other than that, there's no worthy comparison to make.
  • Jlstreck
    Jlstreck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Running my the Chattahoochee Road Race 5k on Saturday as my Peachtree qualifier. Last year's Peachtree was my first race after starting running in mid-April, so I'm already guaranteed a much better start wave, but would love to knock another wave or two off with this weekend's time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I have a HM tomorrow. It's in the middle of marathon training, so I didn't taper for it, so I have no idea how I'll do. Last time I did a race in the middle of marathon training (2014) I did well, but that day it was so cold (17 F at the start) I didn't dare slow down.