Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Just started keto last week. I am not sure how many carbs to aim for. My trainer says 30-50 grams. I am really missing my whole wheat tortillas, black beans and lentils.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Fvsisey, I get the same body issues off low carb or keto...you'd think it would be easier to stay on track...but I always feel my eating issues have less to do with health realities than emotional things.
    And at this point I guess I'm just glad I recognize that, since it sometimes helps to bring me back to the keto fold when I fall by the wayside.
    Happy New Year, pals.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Not sure about any New Year's resolutions, thinking that whole process through. Back on Keto track after a wild and sugar filled holiday. lol Need to up my fat intake as I'm taking in too much protein. It will even out though as I get settled into it again. Just two weeks off and it's like starting over, but easier because I know what to do, what to expect and how to avoid the negatives (keto flu).

@elize7 I agree, for me it is less about the health realities than the emotional. I find that true of other situations. My eczema flares up something terrible when I am having an emotional struggle. Emotions can affect so much in our lives.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Just started keto last week. I am not sure how many carbs to aim for. My trainer says 30-50 grams. I am really missing my whole wheat tortillas, black beans and lentils.

If you're counting net carbs and have no issues with soy, try Eden Black Soybeans. 1/2 cup (130 grams) has 8 carbs-7 fiber so 1 net carb. 11 grams of protein and 120 calories. They taste much like a pinto bean and can be used for anything you'd use legumes in. Chili. Humus. Bean salad. Tacos. Salad topping.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Well, I feel I just went crazy thru the holidays and I've put on 8 lbs over the past couple weeks. Back on the wagon now and so ready to be good, I've had skin eruptions, gums are sore, woke with headaches several mornings in a row, bowels aren't quite right and my joints are sore.

It's amazing to think that every day was like this before I started LCHF eating. Hope everyone out there is on track or getting back on track. Happy New Year everyone!
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Well, I feel I just went crazy thru the holidays and I've put on 8 lbs over the past couple weeks. Back on the wagon now and so ready to be good, I've had skin eruptions, gums are sore, woke with headaches several mornings in a row, bowels aren't quite right and my joints are sore.

It's amazing to think that every day was like this before I started LCHF eating. Hope everyone out there is on track or getting back on track. Happy New Year everyone!

I'm with ya!! I put on 13 lbs. Yikes!! With the off plan eating came zits and bellyaches and headaches and fatigue. All same as you. It really shows me that low carb is the right thing for my body!
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a lurker, but wanted to drop in and say hi! Made it through the holidays with only one cheat, which was a bowl of black eyed peas on New Year's Day. Wasn't much of a cheat as it only pushed my net carbs up to 24 for the day, but it was the first intentional carby thing I've ate since I restarted in September. I've lost 40 lbs since then and am looking to hit Onderland soon, again, hopefully for good this time!
  • kbmjohnson
    kbmjohnson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Aug 2017 - 196
    Jan2018 - 169
    End of Jan goal - 165
    Goal - one 3 day fat fast
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I did well all day and then right at bedtime scarfed a handful of M&Ms, guacamole and nachos. I still managed to stay within my calories and since it was my only carb consumption for the entire day, my #s weren’t bad but not what I wanted for myself today.

I’m still off this week so im cutting myself some slack but ideally, I was hoping to be back in ketosis already... :/
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I count that as a win if you were still in calorie and carb allotment. The transition back to keto isn't easy. I'm fighting the late night munchies and might go to bed just to avoid snacking.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I count that as a win if you were still in calorie and carb allotment. The transition back to keto isn't easy. I'm fighting the late night munchies and might go to bed just to avoid snacking.

That’s what I should have done!
  • jamndyl
    jamndyl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I did well all day and then right at bedtime scarfed a handful of M&Ms, guacamole and nachos. I still managed to stay within my calories and since it was my only carb consumption for the entire day, my #s weren’t bad but not what I wanted for myself today.

I’m still off this week so im cutting myself some slack but ideally, I was hoping to be back in ketosis already... :/

Keep at it! I agree staying under cals it's still a win, just focus on today.
  • jamndyl
    jamndyl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, still doing well since starting on 12/19...aside from one cheat day after the holidays, go figure lol.

Question: Has anyone experienced lack of sleep? I have become a bit of an insomniac, I have so much energy from 11pm until about 1, sometimes 2 am. I hear people need less sleep on keto, but I feel like I'm not getting enough. I'm up around 4 or 5am and that's just not enough rest time for me. In addition to keeping up with my electrolytes meticulously, I have added extra magnesium through Epsom salt soaks (with lavender oil) , I tried mini carb ups (extra berries and Greek yogurt, small amount of beans), per recommendations of a Keto blog I read, but nothing is working. I really don't want to give this up, but I NEED sleep.
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    Sleep is a huge problem for me as well. I can fall asleep fine, usually around 10/11pm, but it never fails. I wake up at 3/4am every single night and am unable to go back to sleep. Sometimes I just get up, but then I'm exhausted by lunch and super cranky. I've done magnesium, melatonin, OTC things, benadryl........ sigh, nothing helps. I can tell even when I do sleep it's very restless (fitbit says so as well). I was hoping the longer I keto'd it would balance out, but I'm going on 4 months now and am still having this issue. I am not giving up keto though for a host of other reasons beside weight loss, so I guess I'll just have to stay a zombie. :neutral:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    L-Theanine is the amino acid that's supposed to help you stay asleep... Is that one you've tried?
  • chaoticdreams
    Options
    Have not tried that one in supplement form, but I do drink a lot of tea during the day. I might pick some up anyhow, because I literally am tired. :p
  • k2626k
    k2626k Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that valarian root can help with staying asleep.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Valerian Root can have medication interference though, so be sure to check it with anything else you take. I'm unaware of any conflicts with L-Theanine (though there could easily be...always check to be safe)... Sometimes it's even paired with melatonin (to get you to fall asleep) and the L-Theanine (so you can stay asleep).

Sleep hygiene helps a lot too. I have one piece of meditation music I use to fall asleep to (it turns off on a timer), and if I wake up and have problems going back to sleep, I play it, and it does the trick 99% of the time... No electronics within 1-2 hours of bedtime, going to bed the same time on weekends (and rising, too!) as weekdays, keeping the room cool to sleep in, same routine before bed (like washing face, brushing teeth, etc.) so that the body knows sleep is coming, going to bed AS SOON as you get tired...no staying up - or you'll get a second wind aka boost of cortisol that delays melatonin production and sleep for several hours... and so on.

Even though you may no have problems falling asleep, any number of these things may help you STAY asleep...or improve your sleep quality.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi just joined. I like the idea of a weekly weigh in and even more this daily check in. Today I almost caved even though I’m in ketosis. I wasn’t hungry, but I still craved french fries because my husband was eating them. I am so glad I didn’t cuz now that they’re out of sight they’re out of mind. I started keto for the 3rd time on Dec 23rd and I’ve been super strict with it. No cheat days or cheat meals like I had in the past. And I always stay at 70% fat intake. My carbs are usually under 20g only once I had 26g. I started at 167 and already am at 153 lbs. I’m going to start working out next weekend. Currently I don’t even walk. I’m 5’6” female, 27 years old. My goal weight is 132, probably higher once I start putting on muscle from working out. My lowest ever was when I was 19 at 128 lbs, I was ripped, but that was before I had kids. So I don’t expect to go near that weight fully ripped.
    My question is, is it healthy to only eat an average of 1,000 calories a day? I don’t do it on purpose, but now that I’m in ketosis I just don’t feel hungry.
This discussion has been closed.