Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing coming up to the holidays?
    I have not been eating enough again. Realized yesterday after my long run that I didn't eat lunch or breakfast unless you count my pre-run zucchini bread as breakfast.. I think I am going to have to start setting timers to eat... The worst part is I am not all that busy with work or anything else right not other than trying to get my holiday baking done. I have no excuse except forgetfulness!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    We don't do much food for Christmas. I'll put a turkey breast in, DH will fix the ham work gave him and we'll make a few sides. No big gathering. Mostly binge watching TV laziness.

I'm hoping to muster the gumption to get out for a run.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I live alone. Christmas Day will be just a day I eat normal food, at home. Winter Weather Advisory all day long, and I'm not allowed to run yet, so I may spend a bit of time in the driveway moving snow around; but no social temptations. I'll attend Christmas Eve church service, but I expect that to be a food non-event.

Slept in and didn't go to the Egg Nog Jog this morning, so avoided the temptation of egg nog and cookies. And this morning I'm down a pound from yesterday, so only 1 to 2 pounds above where I'd like to maintain. That should be easy to correct when I'm able to run again.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I let my cat out to pee and she came running back in at break neck speed straight for the litter box. Cold? Loose dog? Big crow?

I'll take the hint and go take a nap. I could get called in to work, so that justifies the nap taking.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Even being gluten free I eat far too many carbs. One of my goals for next year is to reduce carbs and increase protein (this is always a goal). I struggle to reach my super high protein goal (trying to build muscle - I am a weakling). I do all the meats & dairy I can manage. I throw in nuts (although not super high in protein).

I am such a carboholic. :'(
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso I feel ya. I too am always striving to hit my protein goal, 80-120g/day.

I cut my carbs back for 5 days by just choosing real foods, no junk, and found my rosecea calmed down. Yesterday I ate most of an apple pie and my face is angry again today. So even more reason to curtail the nonnutrutive foods.

I've been in a funk the last few days, bit of a head cold, gimpy to the point I don't want to run because the pain is greater than the pay off (wimp), and it's Christmas- all the normies with family and traditions. :neutral: my daughter hasn't come out of her room in a week and won't return my texts. I hear her up now and then, so she's alive. Wish she'd take meds.

*Sigh* I am a runner running away, as means of coping. Without it, I'm a bit lost.

Anyway.....I swear, my left side with DGS (vascular and nerve impingment), hurt so bad I cried but I was able to push through and get in some running. This ITBS, isn't so easily ignored. I didn't think anything could be worse than the DGS. But apparently that's one of the tale tale signs of ITBS, you don't wanna continue.

I'm allowed 3k. I need to get out. I need to do 10k. I can't imagine 10 is gonna hurt worse than 3. And the thought of being out, alone in the brisk air seems comforting.

I'm dressed for my run. Watching crows sneak dog food off the porch, laughing as they get away with it. Finishing my coffee, then I'm going to get some sanity, freedom,...
  • shanaber
    Options
    I love my carbs too! But even then I don't hit my macro levels for either carbs or protein very often... I need to eat more and more regularly and get back to having squash and sweet potatoes and quinoa... (i.e. good carbs as the nutritionist says).
    Right now though my refrigerator (and freezer) are full of non-good carbs... Delicious, cheesy wonderfulness, au gratin potatoes (homemade with 1% milk, butter and a ton of cheese :)), homemade breads (zucchini and cranberry orange) and of course pumpkin pie... Need to give away the breads (for gifts) and finish off the potatoes and pie before I will have room for any 'good' things.

@Elise4270 - the holidays can be difficult in the best of circumstances but for those with depression disorders they can be absolute misery. I can never get a hold of my brother at this time of the year and it really worries me but ultimately he is a grown man and has to look after himself. I know he will call me when he is feeling more right with the world (I wanted to say better but I am not sure he ever really feels better). He doesn't take his meds either...

I completely get your need to run and that you are cleared to run 3k but I think if it hurts, especially if it hurts to the point of tears you shouldn't be doing it. Its not the same but can you walk pain free? Do you think the ITBS flare is a reaction to the pain? I know mine is definitely driven by stress.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Yesterday I noticed some lemon pepper in my cupboard. I'd bought it ages ago to put on steak; now I never buy steak. The thought struck me, how would this be on potatoes?

Normally, I do microwave hash browns: chop up a potato, add salt and spicing, nuke until done. Mainline spicing is either salt, pepper, and minced onion, tasting like grease-free hash browns; or salt, garlic powder, and oregano. Less commonly, I might do salt, ginger, and curry powder for a faux Indian taste; that leaves an aroma of turmeric in my microwave for a day or so, so I don't do that very often.

So today I did my potato with salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Came out like potato with lemon garlic, not bad. It went well with the fried eggs at lunch. I think this will go into my rotation, showing up more regularly than the faux Indian or Tex-Mex (cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper).

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, just different spicing for no measurable difference in nutrition in a standard meal; but for some reason, I thought of the folks on this thread talking about food while trying to control intake.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @MobyCarp Lemon pepper is always in demand at our house! So good on everything. I've also found that Mexican fruit spice is really good on more than just watermelon. Mmm!

@shanaber it's too cold to just walk. I thought about going to the mall to walk, but then I'd be a mall walker. Just not ready to got there.
    I think I just need to get on my PT exercises. Everytime I wanna complain, I need to just get in the floor and start stretching and strengthening. :wink:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Spices can definitely make a world of difference. I try to do different flavors on sweet potatoes or meat. I don't add salt to anything and much prefer other seasonings.

Small victory... had some rolos but still have lots of calories left. Trying to decide on a healthy snack I can munch on while editing photos for the next hour. It's the one time I really mindlessly eat. I should have protein but might make some popcorn then have a serving of chocolate chips.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I bought some pre portioned frozen smoothie fruit. The one labled "detox" sounded good. Banana, cherry, and kale... More suffs...

Detox means you'll be running to the bathroom in a scooting fashion. :flushed:
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thought I would share this here. One of my other MFP friends found it in the forums and shared it. I think it is pretty great.

This is from fitness blogger Vic Margay.
    "“Motivated, motivated, hell yeah I’m motivated. Ooo Ah, I wanna kill somebody. Killlllll!!!”

As part of the Army’s brainwashing process (better known as Basic Training), mantras like the one above shouted in unison by a platoon of young men with shaved heads often made Basic Training feel like some sort of twisted psycho cheerleading camp instead of preparation to become Infantry soldiers. But we were motivated. Or were we? If you include fear of punishment and peer pressure as motivation, then the environment at Ft. Benning was certainly motivating. But were we self-motivated? No, most of us standing in heel-to-toe lines and referring to our new Army buddies by last name only at Ft. Benning, Georgia in the autumn of 1998 were not self- motivated. And it is acquiring and maintaining this self-motivation that I am often asked about in the realm of diet and fitness.

But here’s the thing…
    Lack of motivation to follow a healthy diet and commit to consistent exercise is a myth. You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure. Furthermore, the days you do have will be spent with less energy and more pain if you choose to eat crap and be sedentary.
    The motivation, the “why”, to exercise and eat nutritious foods in appropriate quantity is present and strong. The bigger mystery is why we choose to ignore the need for proper diet and exercise in the face of obvious requirement. We do not need motivation. We need decision. We need unwavering non-negotiable decision. And yes, I know that the pic above was not taken during Hurricane Sandy (although I thought it was when I posted it to my Facebook page). But it was taken during a torrential down pour at some point in recent history. It absolutely captures the fortitude and decision of those soldiers to stand by their post no matter what hardship may be encountered. If those soldiers can decide to endure the elements, then we can decide to put down the damned pizza and beer. Or forgo the free bagels at the office. Or wake up a half hour early to exercise. Or keep a food journal everyday. Or what ever else we know we need to do but keep failing to commit to because it is “hard”.

Enduring chemotherapy is hard.
    Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.
    Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.
    Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.
    But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach? That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves. What is often called lack of motivation is actually lack of discipline and lack of habit. I’ve posted about discipline and habit before – those entries lack the sexy headlines such as “1 weird trick to lose belly fat” and often do not get more than the cursory glance. And that’s unfortunate because it is discipline and habit that hold the keys to not only losing weight or getting strong, but to anything that we want in life.

You already know what to do to lose weight and get in shape. The smaller details will vary but the big picture is always to eat real food in appropriate quantity and move in a manner that is continually challenging. The problem is not lack of knowledge or lack of motivation. The problem is lack of decision.
    Decide. Now. Stay strong"
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    "Losing weight is hard. Maintaining a healthy weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard."

That having been quoted, I chose poorly last Thursday and am still working on overcoming those poor choices. Currently maintaining about 3 pounds heavier than I'd like to, and need to recognize that it could be quite a while before I can run again and taking those 3 pounds off becomes easy.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I'm going to start doing the allowed 3K. I look at my weight trend and I have to believe it's the lack off active calories.

@MobyCarp Well said. I'm going to try to balance that "hard". Maybe it'll be medium-hard.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Back in the office today after two weeks away and holy cow am I starving! I swear I will never lose these last 5-10lbs. I wish I had an easy (read: not 8 week way) to figure out my true TDEE. I'm half tempted to switch to maintenance for daily calories and just not eat any exercise calories because donger need food!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    So here I thought I was being good on Monday making myself a healthy lunch for the week but it turns out I was trying to kill myself!

I thought my sweet potatoes were still good, no smell, no sprouting, a couple of dark spots on one that I cut out. But yesterday and today after lunch I get sick. The only thing seems to be the lunch. UGH. And therefore I did not run either yesterday or today because I thought I was dying.

Setting my alarm for 4 am to do a strength workout tomorrow AND make a different healthy lunch.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    So here I thought I was being good on Monday making myself a healthy lunch for the week but it turns out I was trying to kill myself!

I thought my sweet potatoes were still good, no smell, no sprouting, a couple of dark spots on one that I cut out. But yesterday and today after lunch I get sick. The only thing seems to be the lunch. UGH. And therefore I did not run either yesterday or today because I thought I was dying.

Setting my alarm for 4 am to do a strength workout tomorrow AND make a different healthy lunch.

Oh no! I had a subway tuna the other day that seemed to bother me. But I think I'm fighting a bit of a stomach bug. Everything tastes like plastic.

I'm still not on track. DH made brownies. I ate them. But I wasn't in the uncontrollable sugar monster mode. I just snacked. So that's improvement. I heard that the pool should be open, like TODAY! I'll have to investigate that ASAP. I need exercise. I think that's the only way I'm going to keep my weight in check.

I went to the orthodontist yesterday. I have a space that's been resistent to close, so he weaved some power thread around, in addition to the power chains. Let me say that its definitely closed the space over night, and I'll be having liquid for breakfast and lunch. Then something mushy for dinner.

Eat healthy my friends.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Oh man brownies are my favorite! There's a place in Vegas that has the best gf brownie. I didn't get to go there last trip and I was so pissed because every place has creme brulee or ice cream as gf desserts. Um hi we like more choices.

Oh that dental work doesn't sound fun. :#
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in in awhile. Because my weight sucks. I know what i need to do. I haven't been as disciplined on the food log. I need to make sure to weight EVERYTHING and log EVERYTHING! Duh. If I know what needs to done, why don't I just do it?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @seanevan10 I am the same way. I've done this before but I have problems following through. Right now I am focusing on logging everything, even if it's an entire package of cookies. Yup, did that on day 2 of the year.