New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    jannylynn1 wrote: »
    HI

My name is Jannylynn and am 63 years young. I am new to this forum. I am a very frustrated person. Was on a program that I did very well on but had a hard time keeping my fat and carbs at 30% and protein at 40%. Was advised to exercise 300 minutes/week with 90 minutes geared toward resistance training/weights. Lost the weight but now it is steadily returning. I am at the wits end and starting to think I am supposed to be heavy. YoYo dieting all my life.. enough is enough. hope this works.

Ya, 40% protein is overkill for sure. And if eating little, hard to get other macros to fit.

If you can afford it, and easily work it in to a sustainable way of eating - nothing wrong with it unless you have liver problems.

But there is nothing to be gained by that much excess protein being turned into carbs and taking a bit more energy to accomplish that process.

Even 30% is usually overkill for many, but it's at least at upper end of potentially useful.
    And eating more realistically, not so hard to hit hopefully.

300 min was common goal to cause systemic beneficial health changes from exercise - but it's been realized since that long advice that it's not needed. If you have the time, and can still allow for recovery - great.
    But if causing stress attempting to do it - that's not helpful for body either.
    If not recovering fully - really not good for body.

I'd suggest even 180 weekly of that being resistance training is better - 30 min x 3 weekly isn't much after initial startup period.
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    Hey,

I'm Hammykins. I heard Kiki and Lucia being interviewed on HalfSizeMe (I'm catching up on older episodes at the moment).

I'm trying to lose 40lbs and I'm about 10lbs in so far! Looking forward to learning how to eat more to weight less :-)
  • Brandi_Allison
    Brandi_Allison Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi! I'm Brandi from New York. My current weight is 225, and I'm looking to lose about 75 pounds. I'm interested in finding the best (and healthiest) way for me to lose weight. I have been adjusting my diet in order to make sure I'm not under-eating. I will take any information I can get :smile:
  • suzihbe
    suzihbe Posts: 19 Member
    Hi y'all. I'm Suzi. I used MFP for two years, starting in 2014, and went from 208 to 146 and then stopped logging and stopped taking care of myself and went back to 165 by the end of 2017. I yo-yo'd this summer/fall, got married and after my wedding I really stopped caring. So I'm back to 160 and would love to be back to 140-150. I do well when I hold myself accountable.
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Welcome Brandi, Suzi and Hammykins :) Make sure you check out the Welcome to EM2WL Start here forum. Its the best place to find out what we are all about!
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    heyyyy just joined!!
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome!!
  • swing35
    swing35 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello I am 39 and looking forward to entering the next decade of my life and I want to celebrate it by being my healthiest on my birthday. I weigh 178 at 5'6 and I am feeling sluggish. I work a fast paced sedentary job that makes it difficult to perform normal human functions like eating. With all of the resources out there I am struggling between the type of diet that will produce results and work with my schedule; high protein/no carb, high protein/low carb, high fat/low carb. I just feel these diets are to the extreme; isn't there a happy medium for busy people? I have tried many diets with no success; I am sure they work but they don't fit my life right now.
    When thinking calories or macros what is more important, the amount of calories in or the quality of the source of calories?
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Yes. There is a happy medium. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I don't count calories or macros. I eat mainly whole foods. I'm a bus driver so I sit a lot too. Try to move as often as I can though. Maintaining 200lbs weight loss for a couple of years now.

The theory of thermodynamics with calories DOESN'T WORK. Eating whole and minimally processed foods is what matters.
  • ceci68
    ceci68 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, Im Carmen
    I am close to being 50 and would like to get a jumpstart on a healthier me.
  • heybales
    swing35 wrote: »
    Hello I am 39 and looking forward to entering the next decade of my life and I want to celebrate it by being my healthiest on my birthday. I weigh 178 at 5'6 and I am feeling sluggish. I work a fast paced sedentary job that makes it difficult to perform normal human functions like eating. With all of the resources out there I am struggling between the type of diet that will produce results and work with my schedule; high protein/no carb, high protein/low carb, high fat/low carb. I just feel these diets are to the extreme; isn't there a happy medium for busy people? I have tried many diets with no success; I am sure they work but they don't fit my life right now.
    When thinking calories or macros what is more important, the amount of calories in or the quality of the source of calories?

In terms of weight management (maintain, gain, or lose) - calories is what matters the most.

In terms of performance, I'd say half and half, or both about the same.
    You can eat too little but great macros - and that effects recovery, and eventually having a good workout.
    No good workout, no body transformation.
    Wasted time on workout.

But right calories and say little protein - that also effects recovery, just not as bad as a steep deficit.

Since adherence is going to produce results, and sustaining a lifestyle to keep the results - you are indeed wise to figure out what you can live with going forward.

They all can work for weight management.
    They all can fail for weight management.
    You can eat too much of anything, no matter how "good" it is for you.

It's you adhering to it that will show the success.
    And yes, usually that means extremes fail. Sooner or later.
  • kcmsmith0405
    welcome new people!
  • fechter99
    fechter99 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi All, I discovered EM2WL several years ago and was intrigued but I guess until now was not ready to embrace it and make a change in my life. I have done the restricted calories, weight watchers, tried adding more calories, exercise (admittedly mostly cardio), etc, etc, etc.. I’ve done the yo-yo with my weight. I am 5’3, 50 years old and weigh more than I have ever weighed in my life. I hate seeing pictures of myself and not specifically about what the scale says since I know it is only a number but pictures make me realize what I see in the mirror is often kinder than what I see in the picture. I was battling some chronic injuries due to “pushing through” the pain training for triathlons I am finally ready for the next step now that I have healed and cleared to go back to working out. I no longer run doing to arthritis and kneecap tracking issues damaging the cartilage in my knees. I am on borrowed time until knee replacement surgery. Losing the weight will give me more time.

I have read the starter kit from front to back multiple times, perused the forums again, figured out my TDEE I think and started my reset on Friday. I have some questions that I am sure you all will be able to help me out.

So for some basic info about where I am currently:
    I had been eating about 1700 calories per day and trying not to eat empty calories for the exercise calories burned but was not always successful with that. And I log on MFP

Workout routine - weight training 2-3x/week for approx 45-60 min, swimming 2-3x/week for approx 30 min, road bike on indoor trainer 2-3x/week for approx 30 min, water aerobics 1x/week for 45 min. For the cardio, I try to keep in zone 2 so not getting crazy high calorie burns, which I now know works well with EM2WL

1. Weight training - I am seeing a personal trainer once a week at the gym and he is amazing. We are mostly doing weight machines, kinesis pulley machine etc for weight training. Because of my knees I cannot do lunges or squats regardless of any variations. I don’t really enjoy doing free weights so I am hoping the machines will be good. Anything I should be aware of in regard to using machines instead of free weights?

2. Will EM2WL work for my husband too? I can’t see why not but just want to confirm.

3. I wear an Apple Watch and calculated my average calorie burn per day over the past week and came up with 2616 per day. I will continue to reassess as I have more days to use for the average. The TDEE calculator showed 2633 (BMR 1698) with moderate activity so I am thinking that is good they are very close? I have upped my calories to 1900 on Friday when I started and will be adding 100 calories per week as suggested to get to 2600 to begin the reset. Did I figure this all out correctly?

4. Macros set at 40/30/30 as recommended but struggling to get enough protein. Any suggestions or links for where I am sure lots of others have suggested?

If you made it this far, thank you! And I apologize it was so long! Just want to make sure I get this right

Thanks again!
    Randi
  • heybales
    Welcome.

Curious if all the exercise is because of hoping it'll help with weight loss?
    Or because you enjoy eating a lot (who doesn't) and want a lot of calorie burn?
    Or is this really to transform the body outside of fat loss going on?

I'll mention it sounds like a lot - unless you've been doing this for years and body can recover well.
    At least you are doing a calmer workout it sounds like, which at least makes it a higher % of fat as energy source for it.
    But if all that cardio starts interfering with getting a good lifting workout - re-examine what is going to make the most changes - because resistance training will. Others are likely great for flexibility, some aerobics for heart is great too. And all seems knee friendly at least.

1 - great idea. Tip that the trainer explains why he sets you up the way he does for proper form, not just the numbers for the seat height and back and pads, ect. But why the joint goes where it should and how to get there.
    Also, many make machines circuit type workouts - 1 set, short rest, move on. You can also do it lifting style, multiple sets at once, rest 2-4 min, heavy as you can make it since you are resting more.
    That will transform the body more because it requires repair. At the start getting tendons/ligaments used to it, circuit is useful. But keep progressing

2 - Only Caveat to Watch estimate - how is it getting calorie burn for lifting and swimming and biking? By HR?
    HR is incorrect for lifting, inflated calorie burn. Better to log on MFP manually for time spent - Circuit training if rests are 1 min or less and 15-20 reps.
    That a rough 5 level guess of level happens to be close is coincidence - since you don't know which is more accurate.

3 - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

Ill trained triathlon one summer is what led to my plantar injury.
    Foolishness is what dragged it on for many years.
    Finally recovered and can do them again, but I too have gotten smart on training and how much is enough.
  • kcmsmith0405
    Welcome Randi!

Yes this will work for your husband too, he just needs to figure out his TDEE and go from there. Sounds like you have a good handle on this. The only thing I am guessing is that with the cardio you do you need to be at the strenuous activity level.

If it helps - create a thread down below and you can keep us updated. Heybales is awesome with advice too!

Kelly
  • Hi! Melvin Here. I've been using MyFit about 5 or 6 years off and on when I was active duty and now that I am a civilian. I'm back and looking for friends to give and receive daily support. I want to drop 125 pounds. Feel free to send a friend request!
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Hi there!

I discovered EM2WL recently and as soon as I started reading the site it felt like everything was clicking into place. I'm a 28yo woman, 5'4"-5'5", and around 140lb, and I was eating something like 1600-1800 calories a day. While doing 2+ hours of karate a week and lifting 3x/week. I was CONSTANTLY hungry, but didn't want to eat more because, well, I'm trying to lose weight.

For the past seven or eight years I've been in what I'd consider to be a minor form of binge-restrict cycles. I've never "dieted" in the sense of following a specific protocol, but I've tried limiting sugar, carbs, junk food, snacks, etc. Likewise, I've never been eating at a super-low deficit, but I've ignored my hunger and skipped/delayed eating, only to end up ordering enough pizza for three people and eating it in one sitting. In particular, I've tended to eat "well" during the week (where "well" means healthy foods, but likely not quite enough of them), and then either eat next to nothing at the weekend (because grocery shopping) or end up ordering takeout and eating waaaayyyy too much.

I don't like to track calories too much, as I find it triggering for my anxiety/depression, but for the past couple of weeks I've just been making an effort to eat when I'm hungry and not pretend it's virtuous to not do so. I plugged in a day or two's meals and shook out to 2000-2100 calories, which according to the calculator on the EM2WL site is slightly under my TDEE, but I'm hoping that evens out as my body gets used to consuming more calories.

My "goal weight" is around 120-127lb, but at the moment I'm focussing on eating enough and recomping. I figure another six months or so of lifting with enough calories will give me a better idea of how much weight I want to lose.
  • heybales
    Welcome @MelvintheGreatIII and @Froggyh .

If you review recent topics you'll discover some are the continuing stories of folks, good to see if something similar to learn by.
    Others are questions and if you have more, ask away.
    Or start your own story topic or question topic.
  • kcmsmith0405
    edited March 2018
    Welcome Froggyh and Melvinthegreat!
    @froggyh I'm a martial arts gal myself. I have 45 lbs to lose though and an going at it slowly :D
  • fit44t
    fit44t Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all. I'm new to Fitbit. Just got it yesterday. This is my very first group to join on MyFitnessPal.