Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been back on keto for almost two months now. The past two weeks have been hectic with the in-laws visiting, my daughter being evaluated through the public schools, some work stress and frustration over not losing. My TOM is almost past and I was counting on a whoosh, but alas I am up .5 this morning AND I have fever. I caved in and decided to eat carbs. Two servings of goldfish, chocolate and peanut butter. Fortunately my appetite disappeared from the virus or I might still be bingeing. Sigh. I need to find a way to get back on track.
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's a very frustrating habit, and one of the most difficult ones I've tried to break and haven't been able to in the past. It is not because I'm hungry. It's because of this ingrained desire to eat while I'm watching TV on the couch. I think IF will help me finally break this habit.

I do intermittent fasting as well, and found it hard to shake the evening snacking at first. I find if I have a big, filling dinner then I know for sure it's not real hunger...
    I also started crafting while watching shows to take my mind off snacking. It works! (Plus, now I have all kinds of pretty things to sell at craft fairs hahaha.)
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have actually gone to bed very early to break a night snacking pattern. I never eat in bed. And I can still read or scroll if I wake up or have trouble sleeping. In the short term or after events that I know trigger me sometimes this is my best and only effective option.
    I think it helps some. Plus, beauty sleep...
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    That’s exciting! Congrats on the job and the perks you’ll get from it.
  • char1iej
    char1iej Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx, I completely understand the "snacking as a habit" struggle. I have snacked in the evenings (not every night) for YEARS. Now, I try to stop eating anything by 7pm. And, most days fast until at least 9am...some days, noon. It's tough. And, it has not gotten any easier - yet. I know that habits are hard to break. I'm just looking forward to have an established habit of not snacking in the evenings. Currently, I have a few raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or strawberries if I feel like I need a lil snack. The hardest thing is resisting chips & salsa - my "go to" snack. Saturday will be one month on Keto -- and I have not had chips & salsa once.
    Hang in there! The goal is worth the sacrifice!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I also love snacking in the evening. I found it a lot easier to do intermittent fasting. Then to give it up! I do 19:5 and my window of time is from 4 o'clock until 9 PM. I realized that it was much easier for me to adjust my schedule then to stop eating during the evening. I love salty macadamia nuts olives and deviled eggs for my evening snacks.
  • ange13084
    ange13084 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure why I never ventured into the groups/forums section before. I probably wouldn't have fell off the wagon this summer if I knew all this support was out there! At any rate, I've been back at it since March, and have lost another 15 lbs, for a total of 29. If any of you all are on instagram, I have been trying document my meals, recipes and progress photos pretty regularly. I would love to see some of my MFP'ers over there too. you can follow me at @cocinacontenta
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Regarding my snacking at night, I think I'm just going to have to try to start going to bed earlier. Or not sitting on the sofa watching TV after work, because that's the reason my snacking is triggered. But as for my IF, because of the hours I work, I find it too difficult to do it. I just can't control when my lunch will be at work. So I'm going to call it quits for now the IF. Which is fine. What I was doing before was working.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Have you tried sipping hot tea? Gives you something to do with your hands, hints of sweetness (if fruit is your fave), or some rave about peppermint tea.

Something else to munch on would be celery or a large...primarily "undecorated" salad, rather than the usual suspects.

Some times of sugarless gum will help, too.

Not that getting extra sleep is bad! But... LOL
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Just want to say, having miraculously given up cream in coffee, that I now can actually eat more of the foods I love. Like avocados, strawberries, some veggies.

I'm adjusting to rationing out the carbs...but find it's way easier to do with berries than my usual sugar trigger foods... and I'm so happy to be able to have a sweet food in the house that doesn't incite my rabid binge reflex!
    So awesome.
    Also, I feel like my skin is looking more lively from these foods.
    Nice!!!!

@elize7

This made me smile so much!!! <3 Yay... I'm so happy for you.
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @xDaniDragonflyx

Have you tried sipping hot tea? Gives you something to do with your hands, hints of sweetness (if fruit is your fave), or some rave about peppermint tea.

Something else to munch on would be celery or a large...primarily "undecorated" salad, rather than the usual suspects.

Some times of sugarless gum will help, too.

Not that getting extra sleep is bad! But... LOL

I have tried all the things in the past. The tea makes me pee all night, otherwise, that would be my go to, too! I have dessert teas that I love and are really great when I've got a sweet tooth, which isn't often. I think I just need to accept the fact that I have to eat something after work. So I'm just going to try a low cal option. But yeah, I think it's time just accept my fate. LOL.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    HI Everyone, I am down 52lbs now!! I did keto/low carb and a couple cheat days! I just started doing Elliptical 15 mins a day and power walking 25 mins or so a day during the week and took off weekends! SO proud I did this!

That’s amazing! Congrats. I have a treadmill and so wish I had an elliptical machine...
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Regarding my snacking at night, I think I'm just going to have to try to start going to bed earlier. Or not sitting on the sofa watching TV after work, because that's the reason my snacking is triggered. But as for my IF, because of the hours I work, I find it too difficult to do it. I just can't control when my lunch will be at work. So I'm going to call it quits for now the IF. Which is fine. What I was doing before was working.

That’s the key! Do what works.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Is anyone like me who is disappointed when you check in here and no new messages?....I think I stop by here everyday, and don't always contribute, but I just want to say I really like seeing others comments and messages.

Keto support and real life knowledge is very helpful to me.

Sometimes I'll write something, but often I'm frustrated and struggling and don't feel I have anything positive to say, but I still am happy to see anything...and there have been lots of interesting and informative posts...posted by a member of the thread. These things sometimes keep me feeling connected and are encouraging during a bad patch.

I definitely recognize names and stories of my fitnrss pals here, and consider this my Keto/LC sanity committee!

Have a great day , pals!
  • __Roxy__
    edited April 2018
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Is anyone like me who is disappointed when you check in here and no new messages?....I think I stop by here everyday, and don't always contribute, but I just want to say I really like seeing others comments and messages.

Keto support and real life knowledge is very helpful to me.

Sometimes I'll write something, but often I'm frustrated and struggling and don't feel I have anything positive to say, but I still am happy to see anything...and there have been lots of interesting and informative posts...posted by a member of the thread. These things sometimes keep me feeling connected and are encouraging during a bad patch.

I definitely recognize names and stories of my fitnrss pals here, and consider this my Keto/LC sanity committee!

Have a great day , pals!

Yes, me!!
    I also sometimes feel disappointed if I check and there are no replies... it can feel like my/our words just float off into space. I totally get it that not everyone relates to everything we think or say, or has the time to reply to every single comment! But sometimes it's nice to get something even as simple as a "like / hug", or a "yay you!" or a "that's too bad"... I am totally guilty of both lurking and skimming... so will also make more effort here in this thread too because the community aspect is so important to our long term success!

Y'all are fantastic :)
  • __Roxy__
    Options
    Today is my 60th day on Keto! 2 months! I can't believe it! I'm so grateful to everyone who has been helping me and encouraging me along the way. I love our community and am amazed at the support everyone offers. :smile:
    2 months Keto! Yay!

Congrats! You are rockin it!!
This discussion has been closed.