TEAM: Gutbusters (June)

Replies

• eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    NSV: Went to my first Pilates class in years, and I did some of the more intense moves comfortably (rather than the modified ones). I think my shorter core-focused classes are really increasing my strength rapidly.
  • S_Tr_S
    S_Tr_S Posts: 249 Member
    brunchowl wrote: »
    Hi! quick note for whoever is doing the spreadsheet--you added 10 lbs to my weight, ack!

Looks like my weight was entered against your name -- down 2lbs for me, up 10 for you!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    I am a little confused. Ok a lot confused. I chose weigh in date, Saturday, when I entered my starting weight. When is week one? Do we start on June 1? Or was Sunday the start day? I am still trying to get myself together. So if this is week one,then it's a bust.

@MoreThanMySize. Starting weight week went from May 20 to May 26. Week 1 of June competition is from May 27 to June 2.

With a weigh in day of Saturday, your Week 1 weigh in is due June 2.

It's only 4 days into the month for you. Unless you polished off an entire bakery since Sunday, you should be able to do fine. Just do the best you can each day. Learn from the past then leave it behind.

June is a 5 week competition (ending June 30).
  • craigo3154
    CrowChild wrote: »
    brunchowl wrote: »
    Hi! quick note for whoever is doing the spreadsheet--you added 10 lbs to my weight, ack!

Looks like my weight was entered against your name -- down 2lbs for me, up 10 for you!

@CrowChild. Fixed now. :)
  • craigo3154
    May 30
    Exercised?: Yes. 5km in 40mins (moderate hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Work day again today. Wife seemed a little better again today. Hopefully she will be near 100% by the time I get home.

Plenty of walking as the nearest restaurant district is about 1.5km from the Hotel. I take the long way round :) .

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 30 is lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    May 29

exercise: 45 minute brisk walk plus busy work day = over 19k steps
    calories: yes, under goal
    tracked: yes

Felt like I had a good day yesterday. Sneaky peek at the scales this morning revealed a good whoosh, so if I can hold on to half of that this week I'll be very pleased.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    May 29
    Exercise: Yes (12 min core plus 30 min full-body stretching. They felt as relaxing as a massage, but I'm counting it as exercise!)
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes

@susanbenita Thanks for the vote in favor of fruit! Fruit and dip would have been great, but I had a mid-afternoon change of heart when the weather felt perfectly suited for chilled limoncello. I checked my tracker and had the calories remaining for it, so that's what I brought. I enjoyed it, felt like my moderation was successful, and have no urge for more summer drinks, so it worked for me this time.

Speaking of tracking (and also knocking wood here that I don't jinx myself), I really can't understand why I was so resistant to tracking before, since it is so clearly helpful. I've put together some meals on MFP that I like and it's no problem to get to mid-afternoon, look at the calories remaining, and then figure out which of those meals I can pop into the dinner slot and still meet my calorie goal. Since these meals include ingredients I already would be making for my family, all I need to do is set aside my portion of the ingredients and put them together in whatever form works best for me. So, the rest of the family might want chicken fajitas on a tortilla, but it works for me to put the ingredients on brown rice, instead, and it's really no additional bother to have the rice on hand.

I know I'm saying all this like it's a completely novel idea, but truly, I'm just amazed at how easy it can be to do this little bit of planning and effort to find some combinations that work, and then just coast on those combinations for a while. Why did it take me so long to get into tracking?
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Username: aeloine
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Last week's weight: 224.6 lbs
    Today's weight: 222.6 lbs

I even went to St. Louis over the weekend and are literal POUNDS of BBQ. The sodium bloat the last two days has been unreal but it's coming down nicely and I'm two pounds down from last week! :)

Note: I do realize that it's the first week of the month, I'm just carrying over weigh ins from May.
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    May 30
    Exercise: Yes, 5.2km run in the gym

One of the things about working in a university is that there's no shortage of research studies to sign up to. Today in the gym there was an undergrad inviting people to take part in a study about understanding exercise behaviours - he's doing physio and sport science but has a psych class this year. It involved setting some exercise goals and reporting back on progress for a month. Together we decided that I would do a minimum of 3 workouts each week and work towards a 50/50 ratio of cardio and strength - I have started trying to introduce strength training but I don't enjoy it as much as going for a run, but as I've lost the weight I need to tone and the cardio isn't as effective as it was as I get better at it (as well as having less to lose). This is perfect timing for me as I slacked off quite a bit in May on the exercise and I respond well to a challenge. Plus only 3 months until the wedding and still a stone to go!
  • JASunnyGirl
    JASunnyGirl Posts: 28 Member
    @craigo3154 thank you so much for explaining. I will get there. Just got to keep myself motivated.
  • JASunnyGirl
    Exercise:. Yes lots of housework. Up and down 3 floors.
    Calories: almost made it. Went over with a late night snack.
    Tracking: Yes

Hopefully I can get my first purposeful workout in today.
  • LesIckaBod
    edited May 2018
    May 30
    Exercise: Yes
    Tracking: Yes

I'm letting myself vent a little worry here....
    Today I'm going to get my second InBody results, which should show change in body composition since early April. I'm kind of worried about it, to be honest. I know I've lost weight on the scale, but I'm worried about how much muscle was lost. I've gotten better about tracking calories, and I eat about 31-40% calories from protein, and I've been exercising, using a routine that includes light weights and not just pure cardio.. but I'm worried I'll lose 1 lb of muscle for every pound of fat. And my first InBody results showed that my upper body has less muscle than the average woman of my height and weight, so I really feel like I can't afford to lose muscle!

So...I guess we'll just see what the results are when they come back. If I need to make changes, I already have a few ideas for where my current plan might be flawed:
    1. Calorie Targets: Check that over the course of the week, I meet my target calorie goals. On a daily basis, I know that some times I'm under the calorie target by about 150-200 calories
    2. Nutrition/ Macros: Keep the protein more consistently at about 40-45% of calories.
    3. Strength training: Be mindful of feeling the target muscles contracting during exercises, and continue adding weights. (BTW, my current max is 15 lb dumbbells, and for some exercises I've only been using the handles without weights, so I do think I've got some room to develop here without hurting myself).

And so, this is like a giant public journal, but what the hey, thanks for giving me a place to post!

• craigo3154
    May 31
    Exercised?: Yes. 7.5km in 60mins (moderate hills).
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Late walk today. Business dinner after work, so not the usual walk/eat/walk when working interstate.

Wife is still improving. Antibiotics doing their job and signs of the chest infection are fading. Sounded almost back to normal today.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for May 31 is plank. (standard, forearm or knee) (https://greatist.com/fitness/perfect-plank)

2 sets
    • First set 30 seconds if new to them, 60 seconds if a regular, 90 seconds if can regularly make 60 seconds. , wait 2
    • Second set 15 seconds, 30 seconds or 60 seconds
  • LesIckaBod
    @craigo3154 Glad to hear your wife is improving! I can only imagine that she must be feeling very ready to be done with being sick!

• westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    May 30
    Exercise Yes 16k steps including half hour zumba class
    Calories Yes
    Tracking Yes

A good day for me.
    Need to just take it one day at a time, as still not confident with this!!
  • emmclean
    emmclean Posts: 297 Member
    May 31
    Exercise: Yes, 5.2km run in the gym

Didn't manage to get strength training in - should have gone at lunchtime, after work there's no room in the weights area!

@craigo3154 good news that your wife is well on the mend. Here's hoping the chest infection is beaten.

@LesIckaBod I'm no expert in ANY way but it sounds like you've been doing all the right things so try not to stress your body with too much change or any extremes until you have all the facts, there's no way to safely correct for the unknown! It could have an unexpected adverse effect in some other way. Averages can be useful but regardless of the statistics we are all different so unless a medical professional says there's something to address then just listen to your body. As you say, there's room to develop in weight training - slow and steady wins the race!
  • JASunnyGirl
    May 31
    Exercise: yes
    calories yes
    trackingyes
    Step count11303 +
This discussion has been closed.