Replies

• westray16
    westray16 Posts: 143 Member
    Username westray16
    Weigh in day Monday
    Week 5
    Previous weight 187 lbs
    This week186 lbs

Well pleased with this as I've had a bad couple of binge days . Will put them behind me today
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    June 25
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: Probably
    Tracked: Yes

Birthday party yesterday with family for the almost 4-year old before we leave on our trip. I saved calories throughout the day in order to have chips and guacamole and oreo ice cream cake at the party. Each serving of the cake was 1/15, and I just don't think my ability to slice a cake into perfectly sized odd slices is that great, so who knows how much I actually ate. Anyway, I had fun, exercised afterward, and I'm ready to get back on board today.

@westray16 Thank you! I can't believe I've made it this far, to be honest, but having you all along for the ride has been a big help!
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    June 25
    Exercised?: Yes. 10km walking in North Sydney.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Early flight to Sydney. Lots of walking (airport - 1km from train to office - 3km lunch time - 6km dinner time).

Well under calories for the day even after having left over pavlova before leaving in the morning (desert after bacon and egg breakfast). Probably a good thing as meal selection was botched by the travel agent and in flight did not have a meal I could have (nothing GF and prefer not to have gluten if avoidable). I usually save the bulk of the meal (apple and GF cake/biscuit) for later and have the diced fruit in natural juice.

Tired early so posting this the following day.

June 26
    Exercised?: Yes. 12km walking in North Sydney.

3km over lunch and regular bridge walk (9km) for dinner.

Nothing much else to report.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 26 is door frame rows ()

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)
    • Third set

The reason for this exercise is push ups and dips work primarily the triceps (pushing). This exercise balances the others by working the biceps (pulling).
  • eevang
    eevang Posts: 187 Member
    Username: eevang
    Weigh-in week: Week 5
    Weigh-in day: Monday
    Previous week's weight: 177.4
    Current weight: 175.4

That’s better!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Username aeloine
    Weigh in day Wednesday
    Week 4
    Previous weight 222 lbs
    This week 222.8 lbs

I apologize for not posting last week, I was on travel. Here is my week 4 update. I will post week 5 as scheduled.
  • craigo3154
    June 27
    Exercised?: Yes. 5km walking in North Sydney.

3km over lunch and but only short walk for dinner.

Nothing much else to report.

Early night tonight. Tired.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 27 is side lunges ()

3 sets
    • First set 10 or 15 each leg (if 10 is too easy continue to 15).
    • Second set 6 or 9 each leg.
    • Third set 5 or 8 each leg.
  • craigo3154
    June 28
    Exercised?: Yes. 12km walking in North Sydney.

3km over lunch and 9km over dinner.

Fly back home tomorrow.

Early night tonight. Tired.

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 28 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • aeloine
    Username aeloine
    Weigh in day Wednesday
    Week 5
    Previous weight 222.8 lbs
    This week 221 lbs
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Username: inshapeCK
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Final June Week
    Previous weight: 146.3 pounds
    This week's weight: 146.7 pounds

I weighed in on the correct day but didn't get to post until today as last night I had a teary night so just not feeling like doing my posting on MFP.

Up 0.4 pounds.
    I know it is not much but was up 0.3 the week before and don't want to start a trend of gaining every week even if it's just a little bit. Prior to my 2 weeks of gains I did have 3 losses so need to get back to doing that!
    Ate WAY too much cookie dough & brownie ice cream and Nutella which I know are things that lead to me putting weight back on!
  • westray16
    edited June 2018
    Thursday 28th
    Exercise Yes 18k steps
    Calories Yes
    Tracked Yes
  • westray16
    aeloine wrote: »
    Username aeloine
    Weigh in day Wednesday
    Week 5
    Previous weight 222.8 lbs
    This week 221 lbs

Well done!
  • westray16
    eevang wrote: »

That’s better!

Well done!
  • susanbenita
    susanbenita Posts: 95 Member
    weigh-in week 5
    weigh day: Tuesday
    last week: 181.6
    this week: 181.2

See you in July!
  • alydanbeads
    alydanbeads Posts: 120 Member
    Username: alydanbeads
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 137.8
    Current weight: 139.2
  • craigo3154
    June 29
    Exercised?: Yes. 3km walking in North Sydney.

3km over lunch then walk to the station and flight home. Still over 10,000 steps.

Looking forward to going out flying tomorrow.

Will also find out what interstate has been doing to my weight (not good I suspect).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for June 29 is push ups

3 sets
    • First set till the point where you can do no more, wait 2 mins
    • Second set of 60% of the number you did in the first set (half, then another 10%), wait 2 mins
    • Third set of 50% of the number you did in the first set (half)

• craigo3154
    edited June 2018
    Username: alydanbeads
    Weigh in week: Week 4
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous weight: 137.8
    Current weight: 139.2

@alydanbeads. Is this an unknown fluctuation, or was this an abnormal week? You had been tracking so well.

Either way, you (like most of the others in the team) are lighter at the end of the month than the start.
  • aeloine
    westray16 wrote: »
    eevang wrote: »

That’s better!

Well done!

Thank you!!
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Weigh in week:4
    Weight last week: 192.5 lbs
    Weight this week: 192.0 lbs
    Its very difficult to lose weight.I am unable to get to 180 s.Today I was eating right but in the end I had one plate of alfredo pasta.
    6 months ago I lost the first 10 pounds quickly.But now facing difficulty.When I rejoined this group.I joined gym too and had injury but recovering.
    I will start phisio therapy in one weeks time.Earlier I was sacred of doing any type of exercise for it could be bad for back.Now I will get to know right exercises and will start doing those.
  • craigo3154
    edited June 2018
    Username: craigo3154
    Weigh in week: Week 5
    Weigh in day: Wednesday
    Previous Week's Weight: (62.3kg) 137.3
    Todays Weight: (62.1kg) 136.9

Unable to weigh in Wednesday as away all week. First chance was Saturday morning.

Looks like while travelling I need to eat more.

Weight still going down while travelling.
  • craigo3154
    fe452436 wrote: »
    Username:fe452436
    Weigh in day:Friday
    Weigh in week:4
    Weight last week: 192.5 lbs
    Weight this week: 192.0 lbs
    Its very difficult to lose weight.I am unable to get to 180 s.Today I was eating right but in the end I had one plate of alfredo pasta.
    6 months ago I lost the first 10 pounds quickly.But now facing difficulty.When I rejoined this group.I joined gym too and had injury but recovering.
    I will start phisio therapy in one weeks time.Earlier I was sacred of doing any type of exercise for it could be bad for back.Now I will get to know right exercises and will start doing those.

@fe452436. First of all, well done for persisting and still even recording a loss for the month. Getting this in the first place is not easy.

Getting the right balance of what to eat is REALLY hard. This is what the tracking is for.

The one plate of alfredo pasta alone would not be to blame for the stubbornness in weight shift. Neither would it be inability to exercise through injury. It will be an accumulation of a lot of things. What you drink as well as what you eat?

Some foods will digest quickly and give a quick boost whereas others release energy over a longer time.

Some foods will make you feel full quicker and for longer. Others will leave you hungry despite the calorie content.

I find danger foods to be processed carbs (including most things containing wheat flour). These tend to have a high calorie content but do not leave me feeing full (pasta, unfortunately, is a culprit for this). The reduction in fibre means the sugar is digested quickly and satiety is not triggered fast enough. Thereby, these foods are easy to over-eat.

Another danger is juices. The act of juicing extracts the flavour from the pulp. All the calories and none fo the fibre.

Do not let hunger be your guide as when to eat (or stop eating). The modern western diet does not trigger satiety (or hunger) correctly. Tracking is the only way to make sure you are eating enough, but not too much.

Make sure in your tracking you are getting the portion sizes right. It is easy to under-estimate the portion size and thereby over-eat. Use a kitchen scale for a week or two so you get a good estimate. Estimate before you weigh and see how close you are. Once you are consistently within 5-10% of the correct weight (over or under), then you can start to track by dead reckoning.

Exercise is a "bonus". You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. Unless you are doing A LOT of exercise do not alter your intake targets based on activity (even "sedentary" incorporates some basic moving around for daily life). Only once you have a couple of MONTHS of data to work with can you start to work out your real targets. Till that point everything is a rough guide.

Lastly make sure any medical condition or medication is not messing with your how much your body is absorbing from the food you consume. Maladies such as hyperthyroidism can really mess with digestion and absorption.

Weight management boils down to a simple equation of energy-in vs energy-out. However, the energy-in is a guess (calories is not an exact science, absorption can be less or more efficient than expected). Energy-out even more of a guess (metabolism, daily activity, efficiency of performing activity, etc...)

The only way to win with the equation is to err extravagantly on energy-in (over-estimate portion size or calorie content) and err conservatively on energy-out (discount exercise, use "sedentary" as a base). Then the errors accumulate in your favour.

With luck and work, some more significant achievements in shifting stubborn weight can be made next month.
This discussion has been closed.