Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    isglk89n1skm.jpeg

Today’s project. This will hold an old cast iron double sink for my daughter’s garden.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,904 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not yet retired, I suppose my efforts don't really count... I'm not as much of a wizard of the woodwork as Farback so I bought a kit chair, spent a few hours sanding away some of the imperfections, then stained/sealed it... assembled, light sanding and final coat...

4tdu1ukxezuu.png
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Long holiday weekend (still worked til 5 on Saturday and going in to mow some commercial clients this Monday morning) so got some work done on the smithy.

Lights are on. Still running off a long extension cord buried in the grass, but the smithy is wired properly.

qh5cwxfdntba.jpg

Also note the old furnace blower in the back window with old grill hood bring in cool outside air and the hood (12" galvanized duct elbow) over the forge is installed through side window.

Still have some work to do on the outside.

pisg34adp4n7.jpg

Like figuring out how to mount the smoke box.

sjxdf3y5rlmq.jpg

And then install 10' of flue pipe and a rain cap [crosses fingers] soon. (My son holding smoke box for pic.)
  • d_thomas02
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Another small step towards blacksmithing in all weather.

Smoke box is mounted. First section of flue pipe added temporarily just for kicks. Threw some burning paper into the hood and it started to draw properly. B)

ox5rpoc3mtbq.jpg

• d_thomas02
    Options
    A little Father's Day present for myself (OK, my son helped too).

ckrg362ni614.jpg
    m7w99w0sj98r.jpg
    qlma454m0jfv.jpg
    zi8i9z3fhm2p.jpg
    rox8ctl6a8hq.jpg
    jgpcfjp3wlx4.jpg

Now we'll have to see if she survives the first big wind.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Couple of summer storms have past and flue is still standing. B)

Managed to get out and start a fire in the forge this morning using feed corn, a renewable "green earth" fuel (rather than fossil fuel coal) and knocked out this blacksmith knife with my son. He then did the grinding on an old Craftman belt/disk sander.

aaov5o867erl.jpg
    r44mo0ozws5l.jpg

Not bad as a first attempt at a knife shaped object.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Farback, you are amazing. You haven't been working on the kayak in this retirement project feed, but I certainly thought of you when I saw this shirt:
    dqyeqjb79y32.png
  • d_thomas02
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Question for the group.

Having seen a few of the items I've forged, would you be more likely to buy one if it was forged using a renewable 'green earth fuel' like corn as apposed to fossil fuels like coal and propane, or a deforresting fuel like charcoal?

Is 'Green Earth Fuel' a selling point or not?
  • UncleMac
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Question for the group.

Having seen a few of the items I've forged, would you be more likely to buy one if it was forged using a renewable 'green earth fuel' like corn as apposed to fossil fuels like coal and propane, or a deforresting fuel like charcoal?

If there were several people offering forged items for sale, the "green" aspect might make a difference. Unless there's competing producer, my criteria would be quality, uniqueness and cost... not necessarily in that order.

Corn isn't any more green than charcoal. Corn is grown in fields created by cutting down forests... plowed, fertilized and harvested using fossil fuels...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,073 Member
    Options
    Question for the group.

In marketing terms, I think it could cut both ways, depending on how you convey the information.

For sure, the "green earth fuel" featured in big letters someplace would be a selling point for some people. But it would make others eye-roll (darn hippie freaks and their self-satified greeniehood! ;) ). Presumably, you'd like to sell to anyone and everyone. Not knowing how you plan to market (web vs. shows vs. placement in retail venues), or what kind of area you live/sell in (lots of environmentally oriented people or not), it's hard to evaluate the value of that as a selling point.

One thing I might suggest is somehow sharing your process with people (pretty easy on a web site, but maybe a poster if you're doing booth sales, hang tag mini-brochure if consignment or wholesale?), and embedding the fuel in it as a point of goodness. You could then emphasize it in in-person sales by talking with people if they seem receptive (or let people learn more by clicking through, or it's one of several bullet points in a mini-brochure, or whatever).

For in-person or web, what I'm thinking would be interesting to most people is an overview of the production cycle, maybe from finding your materials (I gather you're often upcycling), then the heating/working the metal, (where at the overview level you could mention using renewable fuels, or green fuels, or whatever you choose - link to more info about that if it's on a web page), then follow the process through to a finished product.

Your whole story of your scrounged/home-built shop is fascinating to me, and I suspect would be to a lot of people, so that could be another click through for more depth on a web site.

I'm thinking there's a way to present this so that it would appeal to the gritty get-it-done kind of people (via the whole DIY/old-fashioned ingenuity angle) and the more crunchy granola kind of people (via the salvaged/repurposed shop, recycled input materials, environmentally conscious fuel, handmade product angle).

If you're doing booth sales or the like, featuring the process along with the products is a way to talk to potential customers more - "happy to answer questions whether you buy or not" - with the understanding that making that connection with people will move a few more of them along from interest to purchase even without a hard sell.

Just my thoughts.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

@UncleMac Most of America's bread basket is located in the great plains area where only native grass sod was turned under the plow. Other than that, my only comment is... SHH! X-nay on the ossil-fay uel-fay. Next thing ya know, people will be finding out the nearly all feed corn is GMO.

@AnnPT77 All I can say is, Wow. Much more info than I was expecting.

I'm not really interested in starting a business selling my forged items. I was more hoping to sustain my hobby by selling off what I don't give away.

I won't be doing booths, might do demos if asked. Most interest has been word of mouth. Mainly from my wife posting images on her Facebook groups.

I was just curious if using corn as a fuel would add to the overall appeal of repurposing scrap steel.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

@UncleMac Most of America's bread basket is located in the great plains area where only native grass sod was turned under the plow. Other than that, my only comment is... SHH! X-nay on the ossil-fay uel-fay. Next thing ya know, people will be finding out the nearly all feed corn is GMO.
    My lips are sealed.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options

Managed to get out and start a fire in the forge this morning using feed corn, a renewable "green earth" fuel (rather than fossil fuel coal) and knocked out this blacksmith knife with my son. He then did the grinding on an old Craftman belt/disk sander.

aaov5o867erl.jpg
    r44mo0ozws5l.jpg

I love seeing Alert Diver in the background.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

aaov5o867erl.jpg
    r44mo0ozws5l.jpg

I read that cover to cover when I get it. I’m a DAN member for some years now, been diving since the 70s. Mostly resort diving in Jamaica now, but did fire service recovery work for a time.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I read that cover to cover when I get it. I’m a DAN member for some years now, been diving since the 70s. Mostly resort diving in Jamaica now, but did fire service recovery work for a time.

I'm a DAN member, too. I am a volunteer diver at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, and my next little vacation is a five-day trip to the California Channel Islands with Truth Aquatics.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Actually did this last weekend. Using corn as forge fuel (note flames in background are being drawn sideways into forge hood).

js8670qgzig9.jpg

(Wife took this while I wasn't looking.)
  • AnnPT77
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @d_thomas02, you're doing some fun-looking and wonderful things! Just to offer a whacky alt-crafts view of retirement projects, here's a necklace I have in process.

xhi6hdtcxxg1.jpg

The stylized skull is made from polymer clay (Sculpey, IIRC) with fluid acrylic color and a bit of mica powder, plus a protective finish. It's tab set on a 26ga copper backplate (tabs cut from the backplate). The backplate was textured with what amounts to a jewelry cross-peen hammer worked radially (on a teeny palm-sized anvil ;) ), then oxidized with liver of Sulphur gel.

I'm working on the strap/chain, and there will be dangles below (from 3 holes at the bottom of the backplate).

ETA: The chain/strap has pyrite, Czech glass, agate, Carnelian, and some copper crimp covers.
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I'm not retired, which is why I'm covertly pouring over this thread at work. I am in awe of all the talent here.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    For your amusement: You've seen @d_thomas02 's anvil; this is my anvil.
    p1b0wyji2638.jpg