TEAM: Gutbusters (September)

AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215 or Craig @craigo3154 .

Replies

• LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Hi all! I'm Les, 39, mom of 2, wife of 1, and new Gutbuster captain (yikes! I'll do my best!).

I joined Gutbusters in May, after getting back on track with my life in April. I'm saying "back on track with life" instead of "weight loss" because it really feels like I'm making changes everywhere: not just eating better, or exercising, but being kind to myself, believing in myself, and seeing the good in me and others. I volunteered to be captain partly to give Coach Craig a break (you'll see - he's a fount of wisdom here!) and partly because I thought I've reached a point where I might need to give back in order to stay on track.

So anyway, I've lost 40+ pounds since April, and I've got about 26 more to go to get to a BMI of about 23 (I'm 5'7.5", 174lbs currently).

Glad to see you new folks here, and I hope to see lots of returners from August as well! Best wishes!
  • edising
    edising Posts: 45 Member
    Hello fellow Gutbusters! I am a 55 yo married woman, living in Walla Walla, WA in the US (yep, it really is a place). This is the first time I have ever participated in a weight loss public challenge, and I am really looking forward to it! I started working on my weight in January of this year, joined Weight Watchers and lost 20 lbs in 5 months. July and August have been hard for me, I gained back 6. I almost hit 200 lbs again, and said "Oh no I am not going there!" So I am really going to make September count and look forward to the motivation of this challenge.
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    I am so so psyched for this challenge! Physically, I am achy and miserable ( a long few days) but i really really want to get off to a good start!

I'm doing the ultimate accountability challenge too, so i'm happy that's a mini challenge here! It's a MVP tough love challenge, that's for sure!

I have a lot to lose, so % loss is tough, but I'm determined and going to give it everything I have! (in a healthy way)
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Checking in to stay that I tracked all of my calories today. I haven't ate dinner yet, but have it all planned and am about to start cooking. As far as exercise goes, I am a server so I am active throughout several hours of the day. However, I do want to add 20 minutes of exercise at the least! I have always slacked on the exercising part.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    I am so so psyched for this challenge! Physically, I am achy and miserable ( a long few days) but i really really want to get off to a good start!

I'm doing the ultimate accountability challenge too, so i'm happy that's a mini challenge here! It's a MVP tough love challenge, that's for sure!

I have a lot to lose, so % loss is tough, but I'm determined and going to give it everything I have! (in a healthy way)

@littleflutterby. I use the same post for UAC as here daily. Keeps me on track.

I use it because it works. Each day is a new day. You just aim to do a little each day and let the weight take care of itself.

Actually % loss means TBL is as tough for someone at 300 lbs as 150 lbs. As you get lower it becomes incrementally harder to lose.

Best advise is to focus on the process rather than the weight. Get the process right and the weight follows.

There is no one right process. You need to find what works for you. Review your tracking and results to see what has the best impact for you. Reviewing tracking can also help you find where "hidden" calories are, or which foods are naturally calorie dense (and which are filling and calorie sparse).

For me it's no snacks, low carb, moderate fat, high protein. For my wife (currently type 2 diabetic, but insulin requirement now dropping :) ) it is high fat, moderate protein, low carb. I also found, by experimentation, that I have a minor sensitivity to gluten, so my diet is largely gluten free (which also keeps it low carb).

Fats, Protein and Fibre trigger satiety (the feeling of being full). If you stay away from processed food (sugar, juice, flour, milled or husked grains, etc...), you will feel full on less food. Soups make you feel full for longer (as they are processed out of the system slower). If you get the macro balance right, then you can eat a calorie deficit and not feel hungry.

Drink plenty of water and get lots of sleep. A lot of times thirst is confused for hunger. If hungry and not a meal time, drink a glass of water and do something else for 20 minutes (set a timer if you need to - take you mind off the hunger). If still hungry 20 minutes later, then eat something which is both enjoyable, filling and ideally, calorie sparse. The idea here is to have food you enjoy that can still keep you inside your daily budget. If you can avoid "snacking" you can have larger, more enjoyable and more fulfilling meals (and less chances to over-eat).

Lastly, do not get hung up on exercise. Weight/health management is 90+% based on what you eat. (You cannot consistently out-exercise a bad diet). When carrying excess weight, activity is difficult. As you carry less, activity gets a lot easier.

Best of luck for this month.
  • LesIckaBod
    LesIckaBod Posts: 719 Member
    Aug 29
    Exercise: Yes
    Calories: No, over about 200
    Tracked: Yes

Calories are probably over, but I'm counting yesterday as mostly a win. Long commute day with a boxed working lunch and overnight at hotel. The lunch was terrible -- a sandwich, plus a bag of chips and a bag of cookies. No wonder obesity is such a problem for society, if this boxed lunch was a caterer's expectation of what would be desirable.

I had packed food for breakfast and snack but didn't have a chance to eat it so I was ravenous for lunch. I ate the sandwich, looked at the bags of chips and cookies, and stood up and walked them out of the room and threw away the rest of my box. After later meetings, I went to my hotel, finally ate the food I had packed for myself, then walked and jogged on the treadmill.

Dinner is what threw me over for calories for the day, assuming my estimates are about right. Given long walks between train stations and meetings, plus the treadmill, I might have had enough activity to offset the bad meal, but I don't "eat back" exercise calories generally.

New day, fresh start, just finished exercising for the day, now to get ready and off to meetings!

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    August 30
    Exercised?: Yes. 20+ minutes of bodyweight exercises.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Worked from home again today. Still a bit off. Cold weather, so did bodyweight instead of walking.

On a day when I do not walk and I elect to do bodyweight exercises, I do not post until I have done them so I am sure I do not "blow them off". :)

(I am cross posting my daily status post here as well as in August, so others can see what I do - Although a coach and not a competitor, I continue the same routine in maintenance I was using while losing weight - Just my calorie allowance is a little larger so I maintain weight instead of lose it).

Daily Strength challenge

Challenge for August 30 is side planks. ()

2 sets
    • First set 15s, 30s each side, wait 2 mins
    • Second set 15s, 30s each side.
  • Be_Lively
    Be_Lively Posts: 145 Member
    Totally agree with you on the myths @craigo3154

Practicing IF is what works best for me. And what helped me lose my first 50 lb. People always told me how I need to eat more often, that I have to eat breakfast, that I shouldn't eat so late at night. Blah blah blah. And what is crazy that even after losing 50 lb, they insisted that I was still doing it the wrong way, and that they were right. But hey, my body, my life, my weight loss! Do what works best for you!
  • Colleen790
    Colleen790 Posts: 813 Member
    Hi all, I am a 58 year old woman living in Queensland, Australia. I've gained back all the weight I had lost after a shoulder fracture last October. Stopped exercising and dieting. I need to get motivated and get the weight off again.
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    i heard a lot of those myths before... I like to focus more on the lean proteins and carbs side of things, but the difference between this time and the last time I lost weight, I'm adding a few fats to my diet- avocado being one of them. I add it to salads and enjoy a bit of sushi from time to time :)

The last 2 weeks have been great but tough! I've eaten what I wanted for 3 years.... I'm addicted to a lot of different foods so cutting out the things I am addicted to is so hard! But so far so good... a day at a time!
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hi team!I’m Farah ,37 year old from Michigan.I am struggling to lose weight for the past few years.I have gained 30 pounds since I came to US 5 years ago after getting married.I have 2 small kids.When I was expecting with my first child I received an intense back pain for the first time in my life.In later years too I was getting the same pain in back off and on like a total of 3 months each year in which I was unable to take a single step.But this time in emergency MRI was carried out and it is diagnosed as a disc problem.
    I remained with this challenge since November last.I had been maintaining my weight after losing 10 pounds.But have regained all just recently.
    In the coming three months I will try my best to lose 15 pounds starting from the same point.
  • fe452436
    fe452436 Posts: 255 Member
    Username:fe452436
    Starting weight:202.5 lbs
  • Bendiz_
    Bendiz_ Posts: 278 Member
    Wow! Thanks for using so much of your time to write this challenge and all the other tips. Means a lot to me @craigo3154 😱 And well done on your weight loss! Will be checking in and participating in the challenge everyday.

Aug 30th
    Exercised? No 🤭
    Tracking? Yes
    Calories? Yes

I’m gonna aim on getting in 20 minutes of exercise everyday. I’ve been slacking a bit on the exercise part, but I’ve been tracking and staying within my calorie goal everyday. I’ll be writing the check-in in the evening or sometimes the day after.

I’ve also found that a low carb, high fat and moderate protein works best for me. I have diabetes t1 and PCOS. I’m using like half the insulin I used before starting this.
This discussion has been closed.