Previous Weight - 253.4
    Current Weight - 250.4

Awesome dedication!!! Way to go!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    tinak33 wrote: »
    So I am looking to try IF..... but I have no idea where to start. Is anyone here doing it? What did you start with?

@tinak33 A lot of us do intermittent fasting, and it really comes down to meal timing. However, for me, it came pretty naturally after a few months on keto.

I would say probably the easiest way to start is to ease into it, start delaying breakfast, maybe the 1st week, you delay breakfast an hour or something and then gradually start shaving time off until you get to a point where you're happy, however there are lots of ways to do it. I naturally eat between 12 and 8 (lately it's really been more like 2:30 and 7). a schedule like that is considered 16:8 meaning you fast 16 hours and eat inside an 8 hour window. You can eat normally for 5 days a week and eat only 1 meal a day for 2 days a week (5:2), and that one meal is ordinarily suggested at 500 calories (although mine is usually around 600-700 when I do it because I force myself to eat the right amount of protein with my weight training) and you can even fast one whole day a week, this is really where I started to kick my intermittent fasting into high gear, I started fasting from Thursday after dinner until Saturday at lunch time.

The idea behind it is you're cutting extra calories from your diet and you're relying more on stored fat during that time. It tends to come more naturally for those of us who are on a ketogenic diet, because we naturally burn fat for fuel so when we aren't eating, our bodies are already looking for fat, which is available in our stored fat reserves..
    You don't necessarily need keto with IF, but it really seems like a natural progression for a lot of us in that department.

My overall suggestion, start small, start shaving a little time off of your eating window each day until ultimately you're skipping one whole meal (for me, that meal is always breakfast).

I hope this helps you.

Also I KNOW that @SLIMn2016 does IF, usually 5:2 and I'm sure she can chime in with her tips too!

Thanks Ashley!!

I normally only have a cup of coffee in the morning and wait till lunch for food. Sometimes I have a snack in the morning, but not often. So that part will be fairly easy. So I eat within my calories but just in the 8 hr window?
    12-8pm works for me, since lunch is usually 12:30, and I don't usually get home from work till almost 7pm...

What is the verdict on morning coffee? My coffee currently has 72 calories in it (all creamer). Do I need to drop the coffee? Drop the creamer? Or just drop the amount of creamer? Or is it ok since most people can't function without it?

Doe 5:2 stand for 500 calories for 2 days? is that what that is?
    Wonder if I can pull that off..... Would have to be during the week. Weekends are waaay too difficult, with family stuff going on all the time.
    Hmm..... I am definitely interested in trying this!
  • ekuassi
    ekuassi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Daily post: 09-16
    Track: yes
    Calories: under
    Exercise: no, rest day

Goals for today: have a calorie intake of 600
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Monday, Sept. 17th

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes/Under, IF 5/2 day
    Exercise: Yes, 3 mile walk, 20min. stairs & 74min. lateral climber

Comment: Had a really great gym session today.... felt my strongest since my injury last year and I think that my new gym schedule, and taking the weekends off, has helped give my body the rest it needs to progress properly. Trying to get more tea and water in tonight!

HAPPY MONDAAAAY---- keep up your awesome work and get those goals!! :)<3
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options

Thanks Ashley!!

I normally only have a cup of coffee in the morning and wait till lunch for food. Sometimes I have a snack in the morning, but not often. So that part will be fairly easy. So I eat within my calories but just in the 8 hr window?
    12-8pm works for me, since lunch is usually 12:30, and I don't usually get home from work till almost 7pm...

What is the verdict on morning coffee? My coffee currently has 72 calories in it (all creamer). Do I need to drop the coffee? Drop the creamer? Or just drop the amount of creamer? Or is it ok since most people can't function without it?

Wonder if I can pull that off..... Would have to be during the week. Weekends are waaay too difficult, with family stuff going on all the time.

@tinak33 So on the coffee, there is a pretty wide disagreement on what actually breaks the fast,a lot of people say 50 calories or less, but I have tried this theory on myself and I can honestly say that for me any calories break my fast, so I only drink things with 0 calories, diet dr pepper, or if I have coffee, it's with a 0 calorie sweetener and some 0 calorie sugar free syrup, there's some brands out there for a relatively decent cost if you don't like to have black coffee, and I don't so I use them. I know there's a lot of debate on whether or not you should have anything like that, but I do and I've found that they don't have any negative impact on me, so I use them.

5:2 is "normal" for 5 days a week and normal can mean anything from you Intermittent fasting in an 8 hour window or eat your normal amount of calories and eating window, whatever you want to do, and then 1 meal or 500 calories for 2 days. I always IF with an eating window of 12 pm to 8 pm (or 16:8) and on 2 days (or 3 or 4 depending on my crazy work schedule) I do OMAD (one meal a day or 500 calories). Some people only do OMAD, like every day and I'm heading in that direction honestly because they changed my schedule at work and have me working weird hours so I'm getting off between 2 and 4 pm and since I never eat before noon, I don't eat until I'm off work and at that point I just wait until dinner. You'd be surprised, you get used to it and I honestly like it so much better, my performance and mental clarity is so much better, I feel sluggish when I eat and like to workout fasted anyway.

A lot of people do IF, like 5:2 for example because they wind up having a hard time on the weekends and that helps them balance out the "bad days" on the weekends. I'll try and explain the reasoning behind it and why it helps.
    **For example, if you aim to lose 1 lb a week, you will need a 3500 calorie deficit per week. This can come from exercise and/or diet. It's easiest to achieve this by eating less because it's extremely hard to know what your actual calorie burn is and that would have to really be above and beyond your normal activity. Another thing to think about is you can do this with a combination of diet and exercise, like if you'd like to lose that 1 lb a week, you need to cut 3500 calories from your week, you go on a daily walk and burn 250 calories, you would then need to cut only 250 calories from your diet...per day (all 7 days). So if you have a hard time on the weekends cutting 500 calories out of your day, those 2 days during the week where you're only having one meal would make up for those days where you're not cutting calories.**

I've been writing this response for like 3 hours, stupid weird day at work. I just re-read it to see if it made sense since I have been writing it for so long, and I think it does, but if it doesn't, let me know.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Daily stats

Mon 9.17
    Tracked: yes
    Calories: over by 20
    Exercise: rest day! TGIM!
  • AB0215
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    Daily stats

Mon 9.17

@mg07030 Right now I'm wishing I could have a rest day! I am about to go start the 2nd workout of my day, already did my Snatches and my Clean and Jerks, now I have to do finish my Squats and Rows!
  • jcgator2016
    jcgator2016 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Daily Report Mon 17 Sept

Tracking: Yes
    Calories: Under
    Exercises: Yes. Stationary Bike 30 mins, Circuit training weights 30 mins, PT 45 mins
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Daily stats

Mon 9.17

@mg07030 Right now I'm wishing I could have a rest day! I am about to go start the 2nd workout of my day, already did my Snatches and my Clean and Jerks, now I have to do finish my Squats and Rows!

Phew!!! 🙌🏻
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options
    I've been writing this response for like 3 hours, stupid weird day at work. I just re-read it to see if it made sense since I have been writing it for so long, and I think it does, but if it doesn't, let me know.

I think you explained IF and OMAD beautifully!! I was doing OMAD last year when I first injured my back bc I couldn't workout--- it kept my weight off for the 2 months that I did it... definitely works... and I found it really hard to eat beyond 800 healthy calories in one meal...so kept my weekly calories very low!
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options

EXHAUSTED just reading that!! :D
  • AB0215
    Options
    SLIMn2016 wrote: »

EXHAUSTED just reading that!! :D

Phew!!! 🙌🏻

@SLIMn2016 @mg07030 Today marks phase 2 of my competition prep and it's a lot of volume and I actually broke it out into 2 workouts--one because I had to work and didn't have time to finish this morning and two it gave me a little more stamina to finish, it's definitely a challenge and I am sure that my body will let me know tomorrow!
  • Merrettsmom16
    Merrettsmom16 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Monday

Tracked: Yes
    Exercise: 8 hrs of running around the operating room

Day: Returned to work after Flo. After reading the IF post...I think I may try the 5:2. I already do 16:8 but I am interested in the 5:2. Thanks for the explanation!!
  • cmm5904
    cmm5904 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Daily
    Track yes
    Calories over - someone brought pizza to work and I gave in.
    Exercise- no
  • AB0215
    Options
    Monday

Tracked: Yes
    Exercise: 8 hrs of running around the operating room

Day: Returned to work after Flo. After reading the IF post...I think I may try the 5:2. I already do 16:8 but I am interested in the 5:2. Thanks for the explanation!!

@Merrettsmom16 It's really helping me, I can't say it would help everyone, because we're all different, but I don't think you can go wrong trying it to see how you feel and if it helps you.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Monday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes, accidentally did OMAD again.
    Exercise:Yes, 120 mins weight training, 15 min walk (meant to do 30 but it was too damn hot)

Comments: Today is day one of Phase 2. I have so much volume to work through and it's hard. I split it into 2 workouts and that seemed to help. Hopefully I get used to it! Tomorrow isn't a heavy day, it's accessory only, should likely only take me an hour to get through it.
  • CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Monday)
    Track: yes
    Calories: under
    Exercise: 30 min elliptical and 1.5 mile jog (got rained out)

• jcgator2016
    jcgator2016 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

Thanks Ashley!!

5:2 is "normal" for 5 days a week and normal can mean anything from you Intermittent fasting in an 8 hour window or eat your normal amount of calories and eating window, whatever you want to do, and then 1 meal or 500 calories for 2 days. I always IF with an eating window of 12 pm to 8 pm (or 16:8) and on 2 days (or 3 or 4 depending on my crazy work schedule) I do OMAD (one meal a day or 500 calories). Some people only do OMAD, like every day and I'm heading in that direction honestly because they changed my schedule at work and have me working weird hours so I'm getting off between 2 and 4 pm and since I never eat before noon, I don't eat until I'm off work and at that point I just wait until dinner. You'd be surprised, you get used to it and I honestly like it so much better, my performance and mental clarity is so much better, I feel sluggish when I eat and like to workout fasted anyway.

A lot of people do IF, like 5:2 for example because they wind up having a hard time on the weekends and that helps them balance out the "bad days" on the weekends. I'll try and explain the reasoning behind it and why it helps.
    **For example, if you aim to lose 1 lb a week, you will need a 3500 calorie deficit per week. This can come from exercise and/or diet. It's easiest to achieve this by eating less because it's extremely hard to know what your actual calorie burn is and that would have to really be above and beyond your normal activity. Another thing to think about is you can do this with a combination of diet and exercise, like if you'd like to lose that 1 lb a week, you need to cut 3500 calories from your week, you go on a daily walk and burn 250 calories, you would then need to cut only 250 calories from your diet...per day (all 7 days). So if you have a hard time on the weekends cutting 500 calories out of your day, those 2 days during the week where you're only having one meal would make up for those days where you're not cutting calories.**

Ashley, thanks so much for the info! Well explained, now I get what 5:2 means. I have been fairly successful with 16:8, not sure I'm ready to do OMAD.

• AB0215
    edited September 2018
    Options

Ashley, thanks so much for the info! Well explained, now I get what 5:2 means. I have been fairly successful with 16:8, not sure I'm ready to do OMAD.
    @jcgator2016 I did 16:8 for months before I tried OMAD, probably like 6 months, but I also hadn't lost weight for a while until I tried OMAD so it really helped me break through a plateau.
This discussion has been closed.