TEAM WAISTAWAYS JANUARY 2019 TEAM CHAT

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,155 Member
    Options
    Lots of good discussions about complex issues - here are a couple pennies' worth to throw into the pot.

About "cheat" days:
    I could not have gotten through my initial weight loss without several months of strategic "eat anything" days. I ate really clean, completely within my eating plan, for 6 days a week. One day each week I could eat anything at all, with no tracking, no limits at all. If I had a craving during the week, I knew I could have it on my free day if I still wanted it then. When free day came, it was fun to eat anything, knowing that it was for one day only. Gradually through the weeks, I ate less and less that day, and finally it was not that different than other days. But even when it gets pretty crazy, I have the habit now of not letting a day that gets out of control last any longer than one day. I learned that some cravings really disappeared or the food made me feel lousy. These days were not about "cheating". They were about re-learning freedom, not feeling bad about some wild eating, and finally they weren't that special at all and I can control even trigger foods much better than before. And no, that one day a week did not derail my weight loss! After menopause, and at 5' tall.

About strength training / macros / calories, etc.:
    This is a huge question, and the advice of some pros who have a degree in exercise science or related fields would be your best sources of answers. Building muscle to improve your body weight distribution is a great idea. There are many, many ways to do that. I have enjoyed a combination of TRX (suspension training) which is easy to install at home, kettlebells (you don't need a whole rack of them), and a small collection of dumbells, but there are many ways to go. A couple of my favourite resources are kettlebellsworkouts.com with Greg Brookes, gmb.io has lots of free bodyweight workouts, and greatist.com is full of info. But if you can afford to meet a few times with a trainer (once every few weeks), they can advise on both the workout and the diet. As we all know, though, there are a lot of theories out there! I'm also short (even shorter than you, @BMcC9 and my calories per day are low. I have left grains behind most of the time, but I eat other carbs and do not really track them closely. Find what makes you feel great!
  • evangsimmons170
    evangsimmons170 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: »
    Week 2 is off to an amazing start ---

@jan110144
    @Astrue

Your losses are POSTED on the spreadsheet. You are both fabulous, and have earned every good feeling, every congratulation, and you have boasting rights. Go boast!

Remaining Monday people - send in your updates, thanks!
    @cccallahan
    @evangsimmons170
    @gabi_texanmom
    @MoStacy
    @tdrjustus3

Since this is my first time with this group, I was wondering if we get a one time pass for weighing in per month? I've never skipped a weekly weigh in since being on MFP, but I was out of town over the weekend and just getting back to work today and I'm SO swollen from all the salt intake from foods I don't normally eat. Seriously, my hands, legs, and feet are so swollen right now. I haven't been this swollen in months. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group for skipping one weigh in, but carrying this excess fluid in me feels miserable.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Lots of good discussions about complex issues - here are a couple pennies' worth to throw into the pot.

About "cheat" days:
    I could not have gotten through my initial weight loss without several months of strategic "eat anything" days. I ate really clean, completely within my eating plan, for 6 days a week. One day each week I could eat anything at all, with no tracking, no limits at all. If I had a craving during the week, I knew I could have it on my free day if I still wanted it then. When free day came, it was fun to eat anything, knowing that it was for one day only. Gradually through the weeks, I ate less and less that day, and finally it was not that different than other days. ... These days were not about "cheating". [/b]They were about re-learning freedom, not feeling bad about some wild eating, and finally they weren't that special

This actually is a good example of what I was trying to get at. What you did was planned and intentional. It was not about a spur of the moment "splurge". AND you identified it as NOT cheating ... therefore no "guilt" or a sense of loss if control. It was an empowering choice that you made!

I may be over-focusing on mothing :smile: ! It's just that I have become increasingly aware if the power of the messages we give to ourselves and how they can influence our behavior.
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Too injured right now for any real exercise.. so I'm targetting 1200-1300 intake and 1700 tdee.. made it today.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options

About "cheat" days:
    I could not have gotten through my initial weight loss without several months of strategic "eat anything" days. I ate really clean, completely within my eating plan, for 6 days a week. One day each week I could eat anything at all, with no tracking, no limits at all. If I had a craving during the week, I knew I could have it on my free day if I still wanted it then. When free day came, it was fun to eat anything, knowing that it was for one day only. Gradually through the weeks, I ate less and less that day, and finally it was not that different than other days. But even when it gets pretty crazy, I have the habit now of not letting a day that gets out of control last any longer than one day. I learned that some cravings really disappeared or the food made me feel lousy. These days were not about "cheating". They were about re-learning freedom, not feeling bad about some wild eating, and finally they weren't that special at all and I can control even trigger foods much better than before. And no, that one day a week did not derail my weight loss! After menopause, and at 5' tall.

What you described, I absolutely endorse. It highlights the psychological divide between the concepts of "forbidden foods / cheat days-or-meals" vs "intentional pass days and practicing delayed gratification" mind sets.

They may look similar from a distance, but actually aren't internally. I highlighted some of the key phrases above that indicate the internal difference.

The point is, you CHOOSE and you OWN when you will add relatively rare indulgences (whatever that means to you); do your best to shuffle the rest of that day's calories to make room, but it's not the end of the world if there is an occasion when your macros go red.

By employing "Just For Today" thinking, you CHOOSE to postpone something "until next Saturday" or " ... Fred's birthday". When Saturday, or the birthday, rolls around you ask yourself if you still REALLY want "it". If the answer is yes, have it. If the answer is "meh, the mood has passed", don't ... or don't have as much as you THOUGHT you wanted in the first place.

My only caveat to this as described above is the idea of "find a modification or substitute for "MOST OF THE TIME" IF the indulgence item is related to medical ramifications in your particular case. Maybe if someone were pre-diabetic, or already diabetic Type 2, they would have to spread the once-in-a-while extra-sweet farther apart than once a week. But still be fine with a " so long as I am good 80% of the time" scenario.

But I can only theorize about that.

I'd like to hear from someone in the group who DOES have to work around something so that the stakes are higher ... like pre-diabetes or gluten intolarence or something.
  • cccallahan
    cccallahan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cccallahan wrote: »
    Username: cccallahan
    Weigh in week: Week 2
    Weigh in day: Monday
    Previous Weight: 286.6
    Todays Weight: 282.2

POSTED! and the terrible typo FIXED - thanks for catching that, although I probably would have noticed when this week you would have lost 14 pounds! You're amazing, but hopefully not doing harm by losing too fast :#

Thanks for sorting that out! I’m coming off of Prednisone, so not surprised to see some easy quick pounds shedding. Let’s enjoy it while it lasts, because I’m sure it will slow down! lol
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    “What doesn’t challenge us doesn’t change us” - Chaitanya Charan (?)

I want to challenge myself a lot more physically by switching up my exercise choices and intensity, but I feel I need some guidance before I will feel comfortable doing so.

I also need to know if I am over-thinking this ..... I can give myself "analysis paralysis" over translating very valid theory into day-to-day practice. In this case ... where is the healthy-safe threshold when push-yourself activity burn would consistently bring you under 1000 net calories in? A burn of only 251 calories per day would do that .... and MFP will probably drop my calories in again before I get all the way to "starting maintenance"

If this is a field you would know about from a competition training perspective, or have received professional advice about (say from your trainer), please see inside my Spoiler on page 12 for details of my situation. Low end of MFP assigned calories now; no physical or medical bars to up-to-my-limits cardio OR resistance choices

• tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Tdrjustus3
    Weigh In day: Monday
    PW: 286.4
    CW: 287.0
  • jugar
    Options

Since this is my first time with this group, I was wondering if we get a one time pass for weighing in per month? I've never skipped a weekly weigh in since being on MFP, but I was out of town over the weekend and just getting back to work today and I'm SO swollen from all the salt intake from foods I don't normally eat. Seriously, my hands, legs, and feet are so swollen right now. I haven't been this swollen in months. Hope I don't get kicked out of the group for skipping one weigh in, but carrying this excess fluid in me feels miserable.

I do not think there are usually skipped weeks in this challenge - but we really want you to stay! Submit something, and then you'll feel even more amazing next week when you have lost all the fluid. If you really do not want to, check with one of the moderators and see what they say, or let me know and I'll check. I know it is hard to post a gain, but you'll turn it around for sure. <3
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    mws9zeeoxfcn.jpg

JANUARY WEEK 1 WINNERS...

TEAM % LOST

1st - Trimstones - 0.38%
    2nd - Weight No More - 0.15%
    3rd - Mission Slimpossibles - 0.10%

TEAM LBS LOST

1st - Trimstones - 29.0
    2nd - Weight No More - 10.4
    3rd - Mission Slimpossibles - 7.6

INDIVIDUAL % LOST

1st - @trinalong79 - 3.33%
    2nd - @clmumaw74 - 2.81%
    3rd - @pjmfitforme - 2.63%

INDIVUDUAL LBS LOST

1st - @trinalong79 - 6
    2nd - @clmumaw74 - 5.1
    3rd - @SaraMakingChanges, @deconstructeddancer, AND @zogini1234 - 5.0

HONORABLE MENTIONS

@czvanut @carlsoda @boehle
    @melichalupa @MzManiak
    @SaraMakingChanges @cyndiesstuff

2ay3jwz4xuql.jpg

1st - Trimstones - 701,901
    2nd - Workout Warriors - 680,322
    3rd - Weight No More - 636,232
  • jugar
    Options
    @MoStacy
    @tdrjustus3

updates POSTED! Keep up the hard work - post some news, feels, rants, non-scale victories - we'd love to hear more.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    mi7tlk25lsvo.jpg

YAY!!! We made it past January week 1! You have all done an amaying job this week no matter what your results were. The important thing is we are HERE and doing our best to better ourselves each day. I am so proud to see that we are all still walking hand in hand giving each other all the support and encouragement we need. KEEP GOING EVERYONE!

maq0o.gif

1lul56h4bxew.jpg

Please don't forget we have a STEPS CHALLENGE going on for the whole month of January. Those of you who signed up to be one of your teams 12 steppers, remember you MUST post your steps daily in the Steps Challenge announcement. Simply click on the link below to do so. We will be needing all your numbers in order to give results each week so get those to us as soon as you can.

There are some teams that still have spots open so if you are interested please reach out to your team captains!

HAPPY STEPPING!!

January 2019 Step Challenge

giphy.gif

dmbzp4nkry30.jpg

This weeks TEAM CHALLENGE is brought to you by TEAM MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES!!

Some of us may have let some of our good habits and structure slide over the holidays. To help each other get back to the good habits and routine we had before the holidays we wanted to encourage some sharing of ideas, suggestions and tips about a variety of topics. By sharing your ideas it will help someone else and might also help you get back on or keep on track.

Head on over to the challenge page and start sharing those ideas!!

WEEK 2 GROUP CHALLENGE
  • Andreabroadley
    Andreabroadley Posts: 5,455 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone listen sorry I can’t really walk much given them my shoulder problem so I have to drop out of the step challenge. I only had about 2500 steps yesterday anyway. I can barely move right now.
  • mari_moulin
    Options
    Hello team!! I am feeling so so sore today! I’ve been working out daily since I got home from visiting the in-laws and my muscles have no idea what’s going on! My abs (yes I have abs they are just hiding lol) are screaming every time i laugh or cough!

I got to the Gym yesterday morning and did an hour on the arc trainer plus 45 min strength training. Also, I was so excited to do Zumba last night. A group of my friends joined me to try it out and I think they will be joining me every Monday moving forward! youpi! Doing better with my food intake. Baby steps right!

This morning I was back to physio for my shoulders....OUCH. And I will be hitting the gym tonight with my husband.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!!
    ti61bfqhylt0.jpeg

t7q9uw0989ra.jpeg

sveqgbo8zo73.jpeg
  • orngnerdz
    orngnerdz Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Oh man, weekends are hard for me to get to the group. During the week, I check in on my computer and find it SO much easier than trying to do it on my phone. But, not an excuse, just a reality. I will work on a way to stay plugged in on the weekends! For now, need to catch up at work and I will post later in the day!

HAPPY TUESDAY!
  • jugar
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to you too! I have been on a mad cooking binge during a snowstorm - mostly stuff for the working guys in the house - and it will soon be time to fire up the workout video and then get out to faff around in all the lovely new snow. :)
  • jugar
    Options
    Hello everyone listen sorry I can’t really walk much given them my shoulder problem so I have to drop out of the step challenge. I only had about 2500 steps yesterday anyway. I can barely move right now.

No problem - you need to take care of yourself and you'll get back to it when you can, I'm sure! Deep breaths, lots of rest, and long soaks in hot water if you can. Hugs flying your way
  • jugar
    Options
    Hello team!! I am feeling so so sore today! I’ve been working out daily since I got home from visiting the in-laws and my muscles have no idea what’s going on! My abs (yes I have abs they are just hiding lol) are screaming every time i laugh or cough!

I got to the Gym yesterday morning and did an hour on the arc trainer plus 45 min strength training. Also, I was so excited to do Zumba last night. A group of my friends joined me to try it out and I think they will be joining me every Monday moving forward! youpi! Doing better with my food intake. Baby steps right!

This morning I was back to physio for my shoulders....OUCH. And I will be hitting the gym tonight with my husband.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!!

Wait a minute. You call that Baby Steps? I'm doing this all wrong!!!!

• tdrjustus3
    tdrjustus3 Posts: 542 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is the point where I usually stop. I have had great results and now I am slacking off on monitoring what I eat. I had a terrible day at work yesterday and I want to just eat my emotions right now. I am behind on some work assignments and I feel like I will never get them done. I have gained over the past few weeks and I am starting to feel defeated... but I can’t stop now. This is truly mind over matter. thanks for letting me vent.
This discussion has been closed.