TEAM: The Slimsons (January)

Options

Replies

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thanks...I wasn't sure if it needed to be attached to the food or not.

Speaking of net carbs, I bought a few Quest bars last week to try them out. They taste great plus have lots of protein and fiber (to offset the carbs).

@CindyJNC1963 I used to really like the quest bars, but I noticed they cause me to bloat and retain water....so I'm avoiding them at the moment. I don't know which of those ingredients causes that in me, but it's happened every time I've had one the last few times so for now, I'm giving them up. Maybe when I get to maintenance I'll add them back. They ARE tasty though, especially the birthday cake ones.

And one other thing to mention, didn't learn this until like a few weeks ago. Legally, companies can be off by as much as 20% on their nutrition labels, meaning you could have 20% less fiber or 20% more carbs (or worse, both) and they are still legally within the limits on the labels. So you might be further off from your goals than you might realize just by the misleading or mislabeled packaging.

Another thing, and this one I did know, was that legally if there's less than .5 grams of something, they can round down, and if it's less than one, they can still round down to .5. So for example, heavy whipping cream has .4 carbs, they can legally say that's carb free, you could have 4 servings which winds up being 1.6 carbs, and while that is a small amount, if you were going for 20 total carbs, and you had a lot of foods like that, you might wind up being over carbs without even realizing it.
  • Beckymomof3girls
    Beckymomof3girls Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Daily Post- Monday

Track yes
    Calories yes
    Exercise no (unless trudging through the snow to and from my kindergartener’s school counts, lol)

Quest bars are tasty, but don’t agree with me either. I was thinking it was the sugar alcohols in them. They make me uncomfortable enough that I usually avoid them now.
  • AB0215
    edited January 2019
    Options
    vicky2767 wrote: »

That gave me a chuckle. Thank you. I figured as such but better to have it cleared up. Since my husband and I are just starting I think we are going to stick to just trying to keep total gms under 100 for the day and Work from there. We were a little confused because we bought Atkins bars as an alternative for breakfast and package can be a little misleading. With it staying net carbs I think 2 or 3 gms where as in reality total carb was more like 23.

@vicky2767 I honestly only said that because I just went through all of that with my sister.

It's sort of why now I'm counting total carbs, I've learned that when I eat things like Quest barsm for example, which are like 20ish total carbs but like 4 net carbs, I tend to bloat and I think that my body is responding to the total amount of carbs or some ingredient in it, and at this point, I am steering clear of those and sticking with whole foods like my beloved broccoli and steak, so much love for steak and broccoli....

I am not a giant fan of Atkins products as their ingredients aren't super clean, but with that being said, I do like the SlimFast keto products better as they're actually focusing on more Keto friendly ingredients, but it's still a lot of the same with the net carbs, and something I'm currently avoiding. Hard as it is, I am trying to stick with my back to basics approach to get rid the last of my weight. BUT I am going to make myself some keto birthday cupcakes in a couple weeks, and have some keto friendly drinks for the special day, after all, I'm only turning 33 once....lol.
  • BreanaRenae
    BreanaRenae Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Breanarenae
    Current Weight: 136.2
  • AB0215
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Happy Monday all!

Had friends over this weekend and made a Zucchini Lasagna which came out amazing!!! Here’s the link if you are interested: https://www.stuckonsweet.com/zucchini-lasaga/
    I did substitute the ground beef with ground turkey and I used whole milk ricotta instead of the skim.

That looks awesome, I'd probably swap a couple things to get the carb content down a bit more, but a great lower carb option than regular!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Thank you Cindy. I’ve been reading more labels. Would I subtract both soluble and insoluble fiber?

@vicky2767 Honestly, for the average person, I'm not sure it would matter...most resources don't specify, and most labels don't specify either. I wouldn't focus on that at this time, I'd spend more time focusing on carbs-fiber and see how your body responds. If that makes sense.
  • AB0215
    Options
    kazunomiya wrote: »
    January 28
    Track yes
    Under yes
    Exercise 32 minutes of cardio workout

So I decided to try the 1 mile run workout today. So after doing a 1 mile walk workout, I tried it. Man that was a challenge but I did it! I ran! I totally wanted to give up halfway through but I pushed on. Yay! This gives me encouragement because I would like to one day work up to becoming a runner. I don't see myself doing it THIS year but I would like to work myself up to doing it next year.

@kazunomiya That's SO awesome! You have to take it a little a time and then you'll look back one day and be shocked at how far you've come.

I can relate, while running is out for me, my unofficial goal this year is to do ONE pullup. Just one. I can do pushups, and I'd like to be able to do a pullup, that's like the gold standard of strong, pushups and pullups...
  • Jaydoh120
    Jaydoh120 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Username : jaydoh120
    Week : January Week 5
    CW : 225

I think I was 223 last week so 2lbs up. I am not impressed.
  • Bm00re2u
    Bm00re2u Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Daily Post (Monday)

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes

10 minute run
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Daily Post- Monday

Track yes
    Calories yes
    Exercise no (unless trudging through the snow to and from my kindergartener’s school counts, lol)

Quest bars are tasty, but don’t agree with me either. I was thinking it was the sugar alcohols in them. They make me uncomfortable enough that I usually avoid them now.

Sugar alcohols don’t agree with me either.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Happy Tuesday!

Up to the plate today:
    @Catvlmack
    @kearyandjessy
    @losing_it_2013
  • AB0215
    Options
    digger61 wrote: »
    Daily Post -Tuesday

Calories:/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes 30 mins weights and 60 mins aquasize
    Goals/Day/Comments: going to aquasize this morning leg day on weights today
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Monday)

Calories: Yes
    Exercise:Yes, 60 mins walk, 60 mins weight training.

Comments: A day late and a dollar short this week, that's looking like how it's going to go. I guess I have too many things to do and I realize now I forgot to post this.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: January 28th

Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: Yes, 63 minutes on the exercise bike - 14.7 miles

14.7 miles, wow. Go you!! Excellent job!

Ha ha....thanks. It wasn't entirely intentional. I accidentally turned off my exercise bike while I was working out and couldn't remember where I was in my workout. So I ended up going a few minutes longer. That tells me I can actually do a full 60 minute workout now. It was my goal to be up to 60 minutes by the end of January so that is one goal accomplished.

• CindyJNC1963
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »

Speaking of net carbs, I bought a few Quest bars last week to try them out. They taste great plus have lots of protein and fiber (to offset the carbs).

@CindyJNC1963 I used to really like the quest bars, but I noticed they cause me to bloat and retain water....so I'm avoiding them at the moment. I don't know which of those ingredients causes that in me, but it's happened every time I've had one the last few times so for now, I'm giving them up. Maybe when I get to maintenance I'll add them back. They ARE tasty though, especially the birthday cake ones.

And one other thing to mention, didn't learn this until like a few weeks ago. Legally, companies can be off by as much as 20% on their nutrition labels, meaning you could have 20% less fiber or 20% more carbs (or worse, both) and they are still legally within the limits on the labels. So you might be further off from your goals than you might realize just by the misleading or mislabeled packaging.

Another thing, and this one I did know, was that legally if there's less than .5 grams of something, they can round down, and if it's less than one, they can still round down to .5. So for example, heavy whipping cream has .4 carbs, they can legally say that's carb free, you could have 4 servings which winds up being 1.6 carbs, and while that is a small amount, if you were going for 20 total carbs, and you had a lot of foods like that, you might wind up being over carbs without even realizing it.

I am just generally trying to stay under 90 carbs so I'm not too concerned about being slightly over here or there. I didn't know they could be 20% off though....that is quite a bit. That would be really problematic if you are trying to stay under 20 carbs. I still treat myself and have a sub on Fridays so that is usually a heavy carb day for me.

I heard someone else say that pure protein bars caused them to bloat and retain water. I think she said it was because of sucralose...I could be wrong on the ingredient though. So far I've tried the Quest Blueberry Muffin, White Chocolate Raspberry, and Chocolate Brownie Bar...all three were very tasty.
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options
    Jaydoh120 wrote: »
    Username : jaydoh120
    Week : January Week 5
    CW : 225

I think I was 223 last week so 2lbs up. I am not impressed.

Hang in there. I was up 2 lbs this week too. I am more determined than ever to get rid of that rotten 2lbs by next weigh in.

• i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    Options

And one other thing to mention, didn't learn this until like a few weeks ago. Legally, companies can be off by as much as 20% on their nutrition labels.....

Another thing, and this one I did know, was that legally if there's less than .5 grams of something....

Yes--- I agree on the quest bars--- I noticed that after I stopped having my daily quest bar snack that my weight started to come off easier last month.....and this info on labeling is interesting---thanks @AB0215 ---more reason for me to eat real food and stop eating processed---it's been a hard transition I'm trying to make.
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options

@AB0215 thanks fir mentioning these things.
This discussion has been closed.