gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    Daily Post Friday

Track yes
    Calories yes wayyyyy under
    Exercise yes walking and PT 40 workouts
    Water 140oz
    Goals/comments

Yesterday was a much better day it felt good to get out the house, although my PT worked my butt off it felt good.

Especially since she said I am moving more fluidly and I told her that's because I'm 77lbs less than what I was it makes a huge difference. Also got my monthly trigger point injections which helps alot with the muscles spasms.

Still STAYING positive
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: Β»
    AB0215
    May Week 1
    Saturday
    PW: 147.8 lbs
    CW: 143.0 lbs

Comments: I can't begin to tell you guys how frustrated I am right now, my original weight loss goal was 100 lbs and then I told myself I'd decide what's next, well seeing this makes me very frustrated and I know it's supposed to be encouraging, but I was hoping that this would be the week I'd be deciding my future....but nope. Apparently not.
    And I also realize how often I spend telling everyone to take it one day at a time, which is completely against my mental operations, but here I am, telling myself the same damned thing. Oh the irony.
    f2vp2xiu8630.png

Meanwhile among the frustrations CONGRATULATIONS 98LBS WOO-HOO! GO GIRL! πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸ’ƒπŸΎπŸŽŠπŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ THAT IN ITSELF IS SOMETHING TO CELEBRATE!
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options

AB0215
    May Week 1
    Saturday

98 pounds IS a spectacular loss so celebrate that number and you will reach your own goal on no time. Congratulations!
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    AB0215
    May Week 1
    Saturday

Comments: I can't begin to tell you guys how frustrated I am right now, my original weight loss goal was 100 lbs and then I told myself I'd decide what's next, well seeing this makes me very frustrated and I know it's supposed to be encouraging, but I was hoping that this would be the week I'd be deciding my future....but nope. Apparently not.
    And I also realize how often I spend telling everyone to take it one day at a time, which is completely against my mental operations, but here I am, telling myself the same damned thing. Oh the irony.
    f2vp2xiu8630.png

I understand that frustration--- BUT 4.8 lbs dow this week--OMG---a HUGE YAHOOOO!!! for losing 98lbs..... you are entirely incredible Ashley. You work so hardπŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸ™Œ
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    AB0215
    May Week 1
    Saturday

f2vp2xiu8630.png

I echo what Gloria and Nancy said above. 98lbs is definitely something to celebrate and a 4.8lbs loss this week is awesome! You’ll hit that nice round figure of 100lbs in no time 😊

• i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    edited June 2019
    Options

A friend sent this to me via e-mail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1EHTDk_WA

It's a video by Mind Pump (Sal DeStefano) on metabolism.... my friend said that the example of a woman he trained sounded like me, in that she was cardio-centric even with her circuit (lifting) routine and she ate a very low 1000-1200 cal diet for a long time. After training her for a couple of months with heavy lifting--she was able to retain her low weight and eat 600 calories more per day with 1/4 the amount of time spent doing cardio and by lifting more traditionally/heavy.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this one (should you find time to watch it)?

@AB0215 Ashley... you are lifting super heavy while losing weight successfully. I know that you are KETO and IF... but your heavy lifting is building mass muscle which is torching calories all day for you---- do I need a new routine to reach y goal--???

It's so confusing once you get so close to maintenance.....

• i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options
    Daily Post: Saturday, June 8th
    Username: SLIMn2016

βœ… Track: Yes
    βœ… Calories: Yes, under
    βœ… Exercise: Yes, Body Combat, Elliptical & Walking
    βœ… Water: 219.6 oz.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    6.8 Daily Check IN (Sat)
    Track: Yesβœ”οΈ
    Calories: Yes βœ”οΈ I will be for the day.
    Exercise: 75 min Hot πŸ₯΅ πŸ§˜β€β™€οΈ yoga! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ’ƒπŸ’ƒπŸ‘πŸ‘

Comments: Awesome!
  • mltobia316
    mltobia316 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Question of the Week:

I really want everyone to embrace the changes they're making which are most definitely for the better, and I think it's important to recognize that what we're doing is helping, so in that spirit, Name (at least) one thing that is better in your life because of the changes you're making, and for those of us who are new and maybe haven't seen a lot significant changes yet, maybe think about what your goals really are in relation to weight loss, maybe you want to be able to keep up with your kids, or have more energy, etc.

One thing for me that’s better is my love and acceptance for myself. I’m definitely not at the weight where I strive to be. And I struggle at times with self acceptance, But that’s not what makes me the person I am. I am learning that I am beautiful not by what I look like but because of the person I am.

One thing that's better for me is I've joined a gym and my husband and daughter are tagging along. I love going and spending time with my family trying to achieve some level of health as opposed to sitting on the couch together in front of the tv.
  • 2muchchocncrisps
    2muchchocncrisps Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Daily check in Saturday 8th
    Track okay but dinner total estimate for chicken mince, loads of veg and potato and sweet potato mash
    Calories yes under (I think)
    Exercise felt rough today so just 2 dog walks. Hopefully more tomorrow.
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    @SLIMn2016 I watched the video and I have some notes. I will first say he's not wrong about lifting heavy to increase your metabolism, and sorry for what is likely to seem like a rambling rant....sorry in advance.

β€’He says to lift heavy to speed up your metabolism. This is true, you will build muscle, you will need to follow a pretty solid plan that builds in progression so you are constantly challenging your muscles and lifting heavier and building in progressive overload so that you're building muscle. Muscle requires more energy to move around, that's just science, therefore, you will in fact metabolize fuel faster than someone with less muscle, that's true.

β€’He talks about your metabolism slowing down when you eat less, and that is sort of true and sort of not true. When you get to a certain point, that will likely happen, and for me, I am in no danger of my body running out of fat for fuel since I'm on a ketogenic diet, that uses fat for fuel, my body just takes the fuel it needs from those reserves which is great considering I'm TRYING to reduce my body fat and I am still sitting at 34.8% of it so I still have enough, and the day when I don't I will have to make adjustments to what I eat to take in more fat for fuel, but once again, I am not in danger of that. Some things that a lot of people run into when eating low fat and low carb diets (which is not a good idea) is a lot of them can suffer from being malnourished and have low energy as they aren't taking in any energy either in the form of carbs or fat, and therefore, their bodies aren't being fueled properly and then the body tends to slow down it's metabolism to CONSERVE energy, not because you're not eating enough, although, depending on your diet, that can be one and the same, but the real reason behind the phenomenon that you're not fueling your body properly, and one of the reasons that Keto is so effective for weight loss, you train your body to use it's own fat for fuel more efficiently, and therefore, you can lose weight, eat a little less food, and still feel great and manage build muscle and in turn burn even more fat, on far less food since you are basically feeding your body it's own fat...
    I hope that makes sense and doesn't seem like too much info lol.

β€’He mentions one specific woman, and talks about how she ate a low calorie diet and he now has her eating 1800 calories. I have a few issues with what he says here. He is right about getting her on weights, and building muscle, and since she's already at a low weight, she will certainly benefit from increased muscle mass which will burn more calories all day every day, and he's absolutely correct. I didn't catch a height on her, or any more specific diet information other than how many calories, which I have an issue with. But mostly I 100% agree with what he said, over time, and once you are at a maintenance weight, you will want to increase the amount of muscle you have to increase the amount of energy you need in a day (aka food) and therefore to increase the amount of food you need to take in, you will in fact need to weight train, and more specifically, you're going to want a progressive overload to increase muscle mass. He's right. I do feel a lot like he over simplifies it as I've gone through several iterations of what I've done over the years I've been at this, but overall, he's right and I do agree. I think he sort of has a presentation method that I don't like, but he's mostly right.

Some points on what I'm currently doing, and there will be adjustments to this in the coming months as I am nearing my goal weight, and I've even tweaked it in the last week, which is why I saw a drop like I did.

β€’I eat between 800-1200 (and sometimes as many as 1500) calories in a day, and it varies by the day. I eat if I'm hungry, and don't if I'm not. I do NOT limit my calories in any other way other than by putting a cap on them at 1500, but I eat by feeling. And I've started that in the last week, and so far, I'm really seeing some positive changes in my body and that's leading me down the path to wondering if all of these people out there who say calories don't matter, might be on to something ( a topic for later discussion!)
    Previously, I followed macro calculators for keto, and I've tried literally every single on the internet at some point in my keto journey and one thing I've learned is that we are ALL different and you are best to find what works for you by experimenting on yourself. You don't know what you don't know....so you don't know what will work or won't work until you try and I always tried something and kept it for a while if it worked, and changed it when it didn't, and that's what I just did again.
    Another thing is that I don't always eat at a deficit, sometimes I eat above maintenance on purpose, this is typically called a re-feed and something that's practiced pretty heavily in body building circles.
    And another note is I literally tried every other food plan out there before I went keto, even weight watchers and none of it worked for me so I tried keto and fell in love, and here we are lol

β€’I DO lift heavy, as heavy as I possibly can, and once a month I push my limits to see if I can beat the previous record (and this month, I did, super happy about that.) Yes, I continually build muscle and I always measure my lean mass every month, something that I recently started doing as I am nearing my goal weight, but not necessarily happy with my fat % at the moment, so that is something that moving forward I am paying a lot closer attention to. Once I reach 141 (which is 64 kilos, the weight class I want to compete in) I will be shifting my focus to building even more muscle mass, while maintaining or even still losing a bit more weight, not sure where that's going to take me yet, hard to know until I start changing some things.

So to answer your underlying question, you do a looooooot of cardio, and a lot of like circuit type classes (I belive if I remember correctly) and while I do walk a lot, I don't really walk for cardio, or even weight loss, I walk to improve my mobility, I can't have tight muscles and expect to catch heavy weight at the bottom of a Snatch or a Clean. (and we all know what they say about a body in motion....) I walk, and about 30-45 mins at a time, a somewhat moderate pace, several times throughout my day, I don't do cardio for weight loss in any way! I do cardio, and moderate, elliptical workouts at times during the week, 15-30 mins at a time, and only to help improve my cardiovascular system so I am able to lift heavier, ie, if I'm able to use oxygen more efficiently, I will be able to lift more weight, and thus further build muscle, which just helps that cycle of build muscle, lift heavier, burn more energy with bigger muscles, and repeat. This is a topic I keep going over with my mother, who I've guided to an 80 lb weight loss and she seems to be having a harder time losing now, her belly fat, which is all she has, and I bought her some exercise bands for mother's day, and explained that there is a point where you won't necessarily be losing weight, but you'll need to shift the focus to body composition, which may be where you're at. You may want to look at a new plan, and I don't know if you've worked with a trainer in the past or have ever thought about it, but it might be something to think about. They can help tailor a specific strength program to what you need to do, which is likely a lot better than doing a class where they really can't help you specifically. Having said that, there is a pretty good one out there for free, and does a pretty good job of helping you build strength pretty quick through a pretty targeted and specific strength program: https://www.ketogains.com/2015/09/ketogains-novice-strength-training-program-5x5/ Check it out if you are looking for a change and see if it might be something that might work for you. I believe you have access to a full gym....
    Really hope this doesn't sound like the ramblings of an old lady who has this one sided view of things, I truly believe in bio-individuality, and just because this method works for me, doesn't mean it's right for everyone, I believe that you should experiment and find what works for you in the diet sense, but definitely, I believe everyone should lift weights!

And once again, sorry for the book I just wrote, hope you get something good out of it, I'm about to head out for a quick walk :smile:
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: June 8th

Track: Yes
    Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: 10,100 steps
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options
    @SLIMn2016 I watched the video and I have some notes. I will first say he's not wrong about lifting heavy to increase your metabolism, and sorry for what is likely to seem like a rambling rant....sorry in advance.

Ashley thank you very much!!! I appreciate this thoughtful response so much----bc I know that you have acquired significant experience with Olympic lifting and your Keto diet as well.... and yes, I have been considering a trainer for a very long time (like 2 years) but I am very scared to do it. I don't like the feeling of working one on one--I am so used to flying solo or being one in a large group--- it feels so invasive and personal to me.... and my "inner obese girl" doesn't like it. I still get those super weird feelings that don't match my "new self" anymore---but they are there still.

I will check out that link at Ketogains.... I have a Nautilus gym in my home (no free weights though), so maybe I can get a plan started here first and then investigate some trainers in my area as well. I need to bite the bullet and get beyond my fear of working with someone---it would help me reach my goals.

✨✨THANK YOU!!!!πŸ™πŸ€—β€οΈ
This discussion has been closed.