TEAM: The Slimsons (June)

AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Hello Team Slimsons and Welcome to June!!

My name is Ashley @AB0215 I will be your captain for this month.

Here's a little about me:
    I am 33, and I have been overweight basically my entire life and in the last 2 years or so, I decided to change that, I have been working towards that goal for the past year. I'm down over 90 lbs and I still have a way to go, but I will get there. Let's do this!

Please feel free to introduce yourselves and share your goals for the month, I'd actually like to encourage this as I know that for me it helps me to have some accountability and helps me reach my goals when I share them..and with that in mind, my goal this month is to lose 5 pounds. I've been training for an Olympic Style Weight lifting competition and that was late last year, did okay, now I have some things to work on before my next one!

I'd like to help us be as successful as possible and if I can help in any way, please let me know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, I look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

I am committed to this group and to help where I can, and please let me know if I can help in any way!!
    Side note--I follow a Ketogenic diet for any that may be interested, I have tons of recipes and resources for anyone interested.

Welcome to June and let's make things happen this month together!!

Your Captain,
    Ashley (@AB0215)
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hello Team Slimsons,

🏋️‍♂️🤼‍♂️🤸‍♀️WELCOME TO OUR JUNE CHALLENGE! 🤼‍♀️🤸‍♂️🏋️‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

My name is Gloria @gjaholy33, once again I will be your Co-captain which means motivating and keeping track of your weight.

I am 40 years old and trying to lose 200lbs by April so I won't have to do the bariatric surgery. By God's grace I turned over my issues of my weight and He has instructed me to the Liver Reduction Eating Plan last month and hopefully I'll be surpassing the baraitric surgery as long as I continue to have success and my doctors are please with my progress. My goal is to weigh between 380-399 by September 2nd so no surgery.

A little more about my history: I have always been obese since the age of 8 weighing 176lbs. Even with parents and doctors putting me on various diets as I child.

Just to encourage those who are struggling with staying on track I have been trying to get healthy since 2010 and it's a constant struggle but I've learn to set short attainable goals in order to succeed. I didn't seriously try to get healthy until I was 22 weighing 576lbs and was successful losing over 225lbs weighing my lowest as an adult 323lbs. Recently I've been disable due to a work injury in 2015 and need to lose weight in order to get better as I am severely obese at 535lbs in August 2018.

Since August till now I've lost 72lbs so now my weight is 464.9lbs. Slowly getting there. Which means I've been able to stop taking my asthma medication and using those inhalers my next goal is get rid of my sleep apnea CPAP machine.

In the past there were a lot of days which the pain was unbearable along with additional health issues such as asthma and pulmonary hypertension due to a long slow gas leak in my apartment has not help matters. But that's in the past since the end of March I have been under new pain management regimen and working with my Physical Therapist, Connie, so things are getting better slowly but surely. Since I am determine to lose 200lbs I know I have to Stay positive and look forward and not back at what I did yesterday.

I am currently STRUGGLING JUST TO MAINTAIN FROM DAY TO DAY on my weightloss journey. So I have been doing a lot of praying and meditating in order to remain positive which is my key to being successful at my goals.

I always set goals for myself and this month my goal is to lose another 30lbs! Take advantage of my free bowling summer pass by going bowling 2-3x a week.

Looking forward to June Challenge!
    REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!

Your Co-captain,
    Glorious Gloria @gjaholy33😃👏🏾👌🏾👍🏾💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

P.S. you can add me as a friend to get a look at my new recipes or for any extra encouraging words or inspiration.
  • gjaholy33
    ABOUT THE CHALLENGES & REQUIRED WEIGHT POSTINGS

We are also going to be running (Optional) Mini-challenges again this month: Question of the Week (assuming we can remember to do that) and Daily Posts

First and foremost is that participation in these challenges is optional. It's up to you as to whether you want to try this. If you don't want to participate in these challenges, you don't have to, the choice is yours, but we would like to encourage you to participate as it seems to help keep us on track and thinking about our goals on a daily basis and it's encouraging to see other's successes and struggles so that we realize that we are not alone!!

The Daily Posts Challenge is based on another challenge on MFP called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). The way UAC works is that the aim is to follow 5 basic rules.

#1. Track EVERYTHING you eat that has calories.
    #2. Stay inside your allocated daily budget.
    #3. Try to do at least 20 minutes of activity a day (anything: walk, run, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.. As long as it gets you active and off the couch)
    #4. 1 pass day permitted per week (went over calories, could not track, not enough exercise, intentional pass)
    #5. Check in daily (tracking yes/no, calories yes/no, exercise yes/no).

****End of the week. those who have managed to keep to plan for 6 out of 7 days are recognized in the thread as being part of the weekly "Winners Circle".

A side note as there has been a bit of confusion for new members in the past, this is not the same as the official results, which are weight based, this is just another tool to help you reach your weight loss goals.

**REMEMBER**
    You set your own daily budget.
    You choose you own exercise and intensity (no step limit, no exercises you cannot or should not do, 20 mins of gardening counts as much as a 10 mile run, activity is activity, anything that gets you up and moving!).
    Is not weight based (as weight fluctuates day by day).
    Can continue beyond weight loss.

Daily check in keeps you in touch with those doing similar. Longer term weight management is hard to do on your own.

It also has frequent resets (as in a circle each week).

It works on an honor system. Being honest with yourself and others is a key to making things work. Remember, this is a judgement free zone, everyone has good days and bad days, but the way to get to the finish line is by being honest and when we have a bad day, picking ourselves up and carrying on the next day!

Consistency and new habits have been shown the only long term successful way to change weight. We all want the progress made here to last a lifetime.

Your posts should look like this:
    Daily Post (Sunday/Date)

Track: Yes/no
    Calories: Yes/no (were you under)
    Exercise: Yes/no (what type and how long)
    Goals/Day/Comments: (Tell us a brief description about your how your day went or your goals for the day)

The Question of the Week Challenge is a fun participation booster and we will be using it sometimes just as fun and sometimes it can help to foster new ideas for others as we all are different and have different experiences so sharing ideas can help someone else with motivation of freshening up their routine even!! Keep on the lookout for these questions.

Please post your weight on your scheduled weigh in day, as if you miss weigh-ins, you may be eliminated from the challenge and we don't want to see that happen!!

Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: May Week 1
    PW =(previous weight)
    CW=(current weight)

Please, please setup your posts in that format as it really makes it much easier for us to track your progress for the challenges and the weight loss!!

We'd like to help you be as successful as possible and if we can help in any way, please let us know. Also, if you have any suggestions for the team or fun ideas to spice things up a bit, please feel free to share them, we look for new ways to help engagement and keep people motivated!!

We are committed to this group and to help where we can, and please let us know if we can help in any way!!

Once again Welcome to June Challenge!🤼‍♀️🏋️‍♀️

Your Captain Ashley (@AB0215) &
    Co-captain Gloria (@Gjaholy33)
  • gjaholy33
    ENCOURAGEMENT TO OUR NEW & OLD MEMBERS THAT IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE SCALE. . .
    NON-SCALE VICTORIES (NSV's)

🎉CELEBRATING MAY MEMBERS NSV's🎉

@o0kody0o 5/24/19 6:20AM
    🎉 NSV 🎉
    As of this morning I have officially moved from the “obese” range of the BMI chart to the “healthy weight” range 😃 I really can’t remember the last time I fell into the healthy weight bracket! I feel like this is a huge achievement for me.
    Starting BMI: 30.6
    Current BMI: 24.9
    Starting Body Fat %: 34%
    Current Body Fat %: 29.5%
    I’m feeling quite proud of myself this morning 🥳 💪

@SLIMn2016 5/21/19 4:14PM
    🗣Comments/Goals: NSV: Someone who hadn't seen me in about 6 moths called me "skinny" today😳😲🤘🏻😝(no one everrrrr calls me THAT). Made my day😆😊

@batgirl140 5/17/19 9:40AM
    NSV: I did 2 one minute planks last night in class! First time doing them for 1 minute.

@tinak33 5/3/19 10:02AM
    NSV:
    This morning I tried on a TMNT t-shirt I had bought years ago. It has always been kinda tight. Well I tried it on and it fit! And it wasn't tight! It fit nice and comfortably as though I was the perfect size for it! I was so excited, because it was too tight for me to wear comfortably in public without a sweater/zip up hoodie on top.
    YAY!

@o0kody0o 5/2/19 7:07PM
    🥳 I weighed 183+ in February my knees were always sore and I found it painful to bend down/get back up. I just realised today that the pain has gone and my knees aren’t sore in the slightest bit. It must’ve been the extra weight putting pressure on my joints. I’m so happy that my health has improved 🤸🏻‍♂️

@gjaholy33 4/29/19

NSV: (t.m.i) let's talk about hygiene when you're as big as I am. Well I use to need a lot of assistance and get a specialize shower chair 8 months ago cause things got really bad. Well as of this morning I was able to stand and shower by myself today although still needed my cane to get out but small changes equal to big changes. SMALL VICTORIES = BIG VICTORIES! 

We are all in this together to help and support one another as we struggle through to make some healthy lifestyle changes. LET'S START POSITIVE AND REMEMBER WE GOT THIS!

Looking forward to reading all the NSVs posts in June!
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    edited May 2019
    Hi team 👋🏻

I’ve been with the Slimsons since April (I think) but for anyone who hasn’t seen me around, my name is Avril and I’m 29 y/o from the UK.

In February this year I was 3 months postpartum and weighed 184lbs. I’m 5”5 and at 184lbs I fell into the “obese” category of the BMI chart. My body fat percentage was 34%.

Three months later I’m down to 150lbs, my body fat percentage has dropped to 29.5% and I’m now in the “healthy weight” category of the BMI chart which is great.

This is a great, positive team and I’m happy to be part of the Slimsons again! Feel free to add me as a friend 🤗

Goals for June

⚪️Reach my goal weight of 147lbs (I’m going to see how I feel once I reach my GW then decide if I’d like to lose a little more)

⚪️Walk more often instead of taking the car everywhere!

⚪️Be kinder to myself. I need to learn to be proud of what I’ve achieved this far

⚪️Have the confidence to post my story in the Success Stories section when I reach my GW.

🔥Let’s do it this June team🔥
  • BEASTFIELD314
    BEASTFIELD314 Posts: 660 Member
    Hey Hey Hey! My name is Jason! Nice to make your acquaintance. Been around, been gone, been back, left. Got down to 140 at the end of last October. Since then, made my way back up to 170.

Not going to lie - May was a terrible month for me. Lost, gained, lost, gained. Pretty much stayed at the exact same weight. I guess it's a positive that I didn't go higher, but am disappointed in myself.

The biggest reason (or excuse) that I gained my weight back - I took a new job - working as an insurance agent. I am sitting at my desk, on the phone approx. 95% of my day. I used to work a physical warehouse job which helped me burn calories during the day. It has also been pretty crappy weather wise - I was walking almost every day for at least an hour. I even got to the point I could jog 2 full miles non-stop. Now, I am winded after about 10 minutes.

The other issue I need help with is my snacking. It's all I do. I can eat my lunch, and 10 minutes later I want to snack. And do. Whatever there is - I just snack on it. I did really well before, using the 16:8 Intermittent Fasting guide. I have tried to get back to that schedule, but you know... excuses. Based on my May results, I think I just might go back to eating 3 smaller meals and 2 small snacks. The IF thing didn't seem to work too well.

I really hope June will be a better month. I guess at the end of the day, all I can do is try...

Things I want to accomplish this go-around:
    þ Lose 10 lbs.
    þ Make time to get walking/jogging in at least 4 times/week
    þ Make healthier food choices, perhaps premaking lunches

Best wishes to everyone this time around!

~ Jason
  • Skkayy
    Skkayy Posts: 13 Member
    Hello, my name is Sharon. 3 years ago I was at my ideal weight for my height and age. Was able to get there for my wedding. After starting a new job and 3 yrs later I weigh more than I ever have (even heavier than I was 9 most pregnant and I am not pregnant plus my baby is 14, so this is not baby weight). Ready to feel cute again and not fluffy and weighed down. My goal for June is 22 lbs.
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Hi! I am back for June and thrilled to be back on the Slimsons team! I took the month of May off due to traveling. I did watch what I ate and did enjoy some goodies; however, I wasn’t working out 🏋️‍♀️ nearly as much as I typically do.

Time to get back with it!!

Looking forward to supporting everyone! 💃👍🤸‍♀️👏🏋️‍♀️
  • Skkayy
    Skkayy Posts: 13 Member
    Just walked to the gym...did a few things for my abs (or lack thereof) and my wings, but also walked 31 mins on the treadmill and according to it burned 174 calories ...then walked home ...first time back at the gym in a while ...
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Skkayy wrote: »
    Just walked to the gym...did a few things for my abs (or lack thereof) and my wings, but also walked 31 mins on the treadmill and according to it burned 174 calories ...then walked home ...first time back at the gym in a while ...

Good for you
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Hi Team! Glad to be back. Been on the slimsons since Jan. What a great bunch of people here. Very positive and supportive.
    I’m 44 married with 2 teenage boys. Love to go running and I am fairly consistent with my exercise, but my eating habits are not great. Have been borderline high cholesterol for the past 8 or 9 years but thankfully my dr has not prescribed meds yet. Been trying (but struggling) with learning how to pay more attention to my macros and not just CICO.
    Good luck to all the new and returning members. Look forward to June with all of you.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Hi Slimsons!
    I am back for another month! I joined Team Slimsons back in December 2017 as a way to help keep me in check during the holiday, and I have stayed with them ever since! I was about 180 when I first joined. I am down to about 150 now, and am really pushing into the 140s (showing 147-149 weigh ins all weekend!) My ultimate goal is to get to 135, so I have a 15 lb range to work with for those holiday times.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life, trying different fad diets, and different programs. This calorie counting thing has worked the best for me. I realized that any diet or change in my eating habits, that restricted a type of food... that was the ONLY FOOD I WANTED.... and I would do well for a while and then binge on it. After trying that over and over, I found MFP and started counting calories. Now it's not that I CAN'T have it, it's that I CHOOSE not to because I want to eat more foods.

I have never been able to see food as just fuel for the body. I love the taste and flavors of all the foods! I just needed to learn how to maintain my love for food and ability to eat them all, with the ability to lose weight.
    It's a slower process... haha and I spent most of 2018 maintaining. I worked within the same 10 lb range the entire year! However, I had all my yummy foods and never felt like I was going without.

My goal for June is to get to 145 lbs. And I would like to add in some exercise at some point this summer.... I don't workout regularly or have any sort of exercise plan. My weight loss has been primarily changing my eating habits.

I started on MFP at 215 lbs and am now down to 150. I went up and down a lot, because life happens. And even when I wasn't on the team for a month, I stayed on the cheer squad. I didn't want to leave, because although I wans't losing, I didn't want to lose touch with the group, the daily posts, or the weekly weigh ins. It keeps me accountable.

Slimsons has been an awesome group and I will probably stay till I hit my goal, and then be on the cheer squad again for who knows how long! hahaha
    You might be stuck with me..... :D:D
  • cydneebauman
    cydneebauman Posts: 122 Member
    Hello hello team!

I'm back for my second month. May was pretty good for me with a 12.8lb loss. June I am shooting for 10lbs!

Little back story, I have not been down to my ideal weight since my Army years. 6 years in active duty, I got pregnant at the end of my enlistment, continued eating the same without the constant fitness level... and here we are. I know how to work out, I love running.... but I honestly hate working out at this size. So I am currently almost 100% just focused on my diet right now. I make sure I get my steps in, but my main goal is eating right, And it's working!

SW- 209
    CW-188
    GW-136

End of June GOAL- 178

If we are not friends already feel free to add me.
  • dracocapricorn
    dracocapricorn Posts: 106 Member
    Hello, my Name is Michelle.
    Glad to join the team.

Was at a quite ideal weight two years before when I was constantly participating in a rowing team and following their intensive training. The reason of gaining so much weight is that I started to eat more foods during the training. It's not a big deal when I had quite an intensive training. Was unluckily hurt my arm and was afterwards on the road to recovery. During the period, I keep consuming lots of foods without any trainings.

One year ago, I joined Thaiboxing for one month. The training was stopped because of my internship and study abroad.

What triggered me to lose my weight is my trip to Morocco. It was an interesting trip. Lost my weight due to the plain food style though. And I started to eat incredibly large amount of snacks after the trip and gained so much weight again.

I am hoping to take the advantage of studying abroad and join some leisure sports during the weeks. My meal is quite simple now, just trying to follow the high-protein meal. I succeed to keep my carbohydrate consumtion low. But is still struggling to consume more protein. So hard because I cannot eat a lot in a meal. But can only have three meal in a day due to my work and training time. Will try to change and distribute the nutrition evenly.

Let's set my Goal of June is 145lb.

One Problem is with my weighing scale, it works weirdly. I weighed myself more then three times with different scales. It turned out to be 66,6kg (147lb), 153lb, 147,8 lb and 147,2lb. But let me take the medien. Say I am now around 147,8lb. So, 2,8lb to go.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Hello Slimsons! My name is Kristy. I'm a 40 yr old mom of two teenagers, 15 yo son and 13 yo daughter. Married for 19 years. I'm from southeast Louisiana where the most incredible food is life. Everything revolves around food in these parts.

This will be my third month with the Slimsons and it's just the best group of supportive people. I had a rough May and contemplated quitting. Thanks to the support system here, I'm back again. Hoping that even with all of the chaos that seems constant in my life I'll be able to work towards a healthier me. It may be slow, but I'm not giving up.

My goal for June is simple: to track all of my food and get in exercise when I can. I'm not setting a weight goal. Quite frankly, I have way too much stress right now to constantly worry about if I'm losing enough to meet that goal. I'll be happy with any loss of weight at all this month no matter how small.
  • ashanna2019
    ashanna2019 Posts: 15 Member
    Hello Slimsons!!!

I started in April with this group but ended up falling off. I am going to start again. I have started a new job that forces me into walking more, (i now park 4 blocks away and to go to any meetings i must go up 3 flights of stairs and walk 2 blocks). My boyfriend now doesn't get off work for at least an hour and a half after me, so hopefully this will allow for me to go to the gym, get groceries and cook more at home. So far we have been cooking more at home.

Goals for June:

10 lbs
    100 oz of water a day
    log food even if it is over goal
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    Hi all!

I've been here once before and am back. I'm 5'-8", female, and currently 178.2 lbs. I'm hoping to drop to 160 and then reevaluate. I posted starting pics and weight yesterday on my status update. I would love some new friends to help me stay motivated this time!
  • lesockie
    lesockie Posts: 80 Member
    And my goal for June is to lose 5 lbs since I imagine I'll be losing water weight
  • mltobia316
    mltobia316 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi! I’m Michelle and live in the Nashville area. Just turned 50 and have been overweight most of my adult life. I’m 5’7 and weigh 250.8 today down about 2 lbs since last week. This is the most I’ve ever weighed. I’ve dieted ALOT in my lifetime but ALWAYS gain it back along with about 10 extra pounds. I’ve tried every kind of diet and can’t stick with anything that restricts what I can eat so I’m working to control portions and cut back on carbs without giving them up completely. I’ve done intermittent fasting in the past and was most successful with this. So I’m trying to start that again. Really need some accountability. Looking forward to being a part of this group! Feel free to add me as a friend!
This discussion has been closed.