TEAM: The Big Butt Theory (September)

Options
AB0215
AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
Welcome to the Challenge new and returning teammates!! This is the conversation/weigh in thread for your Team :) Keep on losing because our first weigh ins begin THIS Sunday! I am here for you should you need anything - simply message me or tag me by putting an '@' just before my username (NO SPACES) and I will get to you asap! ~ Ashley @AB0215.

Replies

• MelsLeanDream
    MelsLeanDream Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Mel and I am from New Zealand and now live in Western Australia. My weight has been yo-yoing lately and I realised I have gained a frightful amount over the last 6-8 months. I'm a stay at home mum during the day but I work most nights so am on my feet and fairly active. Spring is here so the motivation to be in shape for summer is staring me in the face! I'm pleased to be back and a part of BBT!
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    Options
    Hello, team The Big Butt Theory! Welcome to September and a special welcome to the newcomers! Please take a moment to introduce yourselves to the team, and tell us a little bit about your goals for the month.

Hi, my name is Lisa, a long time member of team The Big Butt Theory, and I am your captain for September along with Pam, @pkg1998. I am 53, a Canadian living in Southwestern Ontario, married 27 years and have two grown sons.

Being involved with this group helps to at least keep my head above water, when I am struggling!! If you are struggling, it can help you, too. So, the more you interact, the more you will feel the team's support.

A little about this challenge.....it runs Sunday to Saturday. Post your weigh-in on this thread on your chosen weigh-in day. If you need to miss a weigh-in, let me know. If you forget to post a weigh-in, post as soon as you remember, up until Saturday evening. (I'd say Saturday at midnight, EDT, but I am not up that late!) Please post a weight even if you have gained. There is no judgement here, only support, and it happens to all of us at some point!! If you miss two weigh-ins, you will be removed from the month and will have to re-register for the next month if you wish to continue.

Yes, this is a weight loss challenge, but I would like you to think of it more as a support group. Sometimes, you can do all the right things, but the scale just doesn't move. If you have taken measurements you will be able to see that you are making progress, just not contributing to the team's weight loss. But we don't want you to despair, or leave, if this happens, thus the focus on the "support" aspect!

We are all here for the same reason....to lose weight and get healthy. Some days will go better than others....weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, after all!! But with the support of this team, and some hard work, we can all make it to the finish line!

I don't know about you all, but I am sooo looking forward to September!! There's something about starting fresh after the summer....it feels so full of possibilities!! Not to mention, the extreme heat is hopefully behind us!!

Here's to all of us having a great September!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hello again, team TBBT. The September Challenge doesn't officially start until Sunday, September 1st, but I thought I'd give you some more information so that you can be ready to jump in with both feet! Within the main weight loss challenge we have another optional, but highly recommended, challenge. It is called the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge, or the Mini Challenge. It is based on another MFP challenge group by the same name, or UAC.

The way it works is simple:

1. Log everything you eat that has calories in MFP.
    2. Stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget.
    3. Do at least 20 minutes of activity daily. This could be anything that gets you off the couch and being active: run, walk, cycle, swim, gardening, housework, yoga, gym, etc.
    4. Report each day on this thread (something to the effect of logged food: yes, under calories: yes, exercise: yes, and a brief description is nice)

****When you post your accountability, please put the date, or the day of the week to which you are referring. We are all in different time zones, and some people post in the evening for that day, and others post the next morning, so it gets confusing trying to decipher without a day or date. Thanks!!!*****

You get one free pass day a week (went over calories, could not log food, rest day, etc.) At the end of the week, if you have managed to be "accountable" (three yes's) for at least 6 of 7 days, you will be recognized on this thread as being in the Winner's Circle!

This strategy works for weight loss because it is based on CI<CO. When calories in are less than calories out, you stay inside your allotted daily calorie budget, and you will lose weight! And exercise is just good for you, plus it will burn calories and help with the calories out portion of the equation!

What's great about this challenge is that it works for everyone, as long as you are honest with yourself. There are no dietary restrictions, so you can eat whatever you like, and follow whatever plan you like. Your own daily calorie budget is set by you and MFP and you choose your own exercise and intensity of exercise! Plus it is a practice that can be carried beyond weight loss into maintenance! If you are having a bad week, a new week and a fresh start is just around the corner!

Consistency and new habits have been shown to be the keys to long term successful weight loss. Why not make the Mini Ultimate Accountability Challenge your new habit, that you do consistently!!

Week #1 for the Mini Challenge starts Sunday, September 1st!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Mel and I am from New Zealand and now live in Western Australia. My weight has been yo-yoing lately and I realised I have gained a frightful amount over the last 6-8 months. I'm a stay at home mum during the day but I work most nights so am on my feet and fairly active. Spring is here so the motivation to be in shape for summer is staring me in the face! I'm pleased to be back and a part of BBT!

@MelsLeanDream, we are so glad to have you back, Mel!! When you are in the zone, you are quite the inspiration!! Wishing you nothing but success!!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Hello new and old friends.
    I am 38 years old and constantly struggling with weight. I was a skinny kid, gained a lot of weight in high school. Lost a lot of weight in my early 20s, gained it all back and then some more. I have worked in the beer industry for the past 12+ years so that adds into the weight loss struggles.
    In December 2017 I hit my heaviest weight and decided to change, but even that has been a struggle. I will have a few really good months and then I will get stuck for awhile. Over last winter I put some of it back on but am now down to my lowest in years. Overall I am down 33 lbs, but that is over 20 months so it really should be a lot better.
    I have been with this group for 14 of those 20 months and that really has helped in my struggling times. There are some great people here with a lot of support. I feel like a bunch of us struggled in August (just my opinion) as the group seemed pretty inactive. Hopefully we can get some new positive energy in September.
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    Hello new and old friends.
    I am 38 years old and constantly struggling with weight. I was a skinny kid, gained a lot of weight in high school. Lost a lot of weight in my early 20s, gained it all back and then some more. I have worked in the beer industry for the past 12+ years so that adds into the weight loss struggles.
    In December 2017 I hit my heaviest weight and decided to change, but even that has been a struggle. I will have a few really good months and then I will get stuck for awhile. Over last winter I put some of it back on but am now down to my lowest in years. Overall I am down 33 lbs, but that is over 20 months so it really should be a lot better.
    I have been with this group for 14 of those 20 months and that really has helped in my struggling times. There are some great people here with a lot of support. I feel like a bunch of us struggled in August (just my opinion) as the group seemed pretty inactive. Hopefully we can get some new positive energy in September.

@erikNJ, no, not an opinion, Erik....an observation. We, including me, were definitely quieter this month. I think we all just needed a summer vacation! But that also means we'll be ready to go come September!!
  • sandkp
    sandkp Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hello all... I'm Shawnee and I joined this group in June. I used June as a get ready month, July was supposed to be my challenging month (vacation and then a mega college visit tour of the south with my youngest)and be on track in August. Unfortunately, while right about July, August hit me hard (mom had emergency surgery day after I got back in town and set me to caretaker for her 2 week hospital stay... she has LBD and I pulled night shift at hospital with her)and I have taken the last bit of this month to try to regroup, get my head straight, deal with my youngest and his "new injury" he picked up after his return to his sport, get my middle back off to fall college semester and then make my restart in September. I am not sure I would have made it through my July/August without seriously turning to food if it wasnt for coming here and reading the daily posts... so thanks to all TBBT teammates for keeping my motivated.

So about me.. and history..
    I'm a mom to 3 and have been busy like all of us but havent made myself the priority. I go through ups and downs of losing weight. The last time I had a good loss was 2015/16 when I was down to the 180s. I am doing an official reset to my June resetting now 🙄 and have short and longer term goals.. seeing onederland is my first goal. And longer term goal is to lose 50 by 50.. so I have about 18 months to make that happen. I plan to set some other short term in there to make me feel like I am achieving things. The 50 isnt my final goal weight but I know I want to reevaluate at that point to see what/how my body feels before setting that.

I really aim to be more involved, accountable and responsive in September. Let's hope life slows the curveballs down and we can make that a reality!
  • pkg1998
    pkg1998 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the newcomers and welcome back to our returning TBBT team. I’m Pam and co-leader of the group, although I think Lisa ( @HASWLRS) does a great job doesn’t really need a co-leader :) I’m joined in the beginning of the year for the accountability and the challenge to help my lose the weight I’ve been trying to lose for so many years. I’ve had good times and bad times and this group has helped me get through all of them. Like Erik said, I think August was a rough time for most of us in the group, but we’re still here and motivated to make September a great month. We’ve had several weeks when TBBT was THE BIGGEST LOSER in the challenge and I know we can do it again.

About me - I’m a mom of three (3) the youngest of which just moved off to college in August. My husband and I are excited about being “empty nesters” (but secretly hoping she’ll come home to visit at some point :D ), but it is definitely taking some time to adjust to this new way of life. Everything is different from cooking to schedules to just having so much time on my hands that I didn’t before. I’ll be honest, August was a horrible month for me, but I’m determined to make changes in my life to live a healthier lifestyle and enjoy what’s to come for my husband and I.

September, what out, because TBBT is on a mission!!
  • Coral333
    Coral333 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone old and new! I’m Coral and have been with the group since March/April (I think!) and have been down and then back up in that time with a month or 2 off. I’m so excited for September as I always feel my greatest weight loss months are between now and December time where I can be really committed and focus 100%.
    My daughter will be 1 on Tuesday and I’m back at pre pregnancy weight but now focusing on the goal of 20lbs by Christmas. It’s a challenge but i know I can do it!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Coral333 wrote: »
    Hi everyone old and new! I’m Coral and have been with the group since March/April (I think!) and have been down and then back up in that time with a month or 2 off. I’m so excited for September as I always feel my greatest weight loss months are between now and December time where I can be really committed and focus 100%.
    My daughter will be 1 on Tuesday and I’m back at pre pregnancy weight but now focusing on the goal of 20lbs by Christmas. It’s a challenge but i know I can do it!

@Coral333, 20 pounds by Christmas? I am down for that!!
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    It's time for a new start.. time to re commit and get serious. Work is finally calming down a bit and we are steadily getting more employees. Which means I can reestablish a routine. I wanted to do this last month but with all the family events and the employees we did hire not working out.. my work schedule began becoming as crazy as it was when I first began this job FML.

I want better things for this month because this steady gain is not what I want and I want to continue working out and keeping with this habit
  • brandi_84
    brandi_84 Posts: 1,963 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Brandi. I'm 34. I am a stay at home/homeschool mom to a teenager. I was a member of this team the first half of the year but took a break for the summer. I lose all sense of routine during the summer and there is too much going on to be active in the forum.
    I did gain a couple of pounds over the summer which is better than I expected. Fall is usually when I do best at losing weight. I feel the most motivated as the weather cools. Fall always feels more like the start of a new year than the actual beginning of the year.
    My family has a new very active puppy which gives us no choice but to be motivated to get up and get moving by chasing him around or going for walks.
    I'm glad to be back to TBBT and I look forward to getting to know the new members.
  • ethelsmommy
    ethelsmommy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! My name is Wendy and I am in Winter Park, Florida. I'm struggling right now with my attempts at fitness due to still-unaddressed hypothyroidism (my DR's appointment is 9/14), but I am giving it everything I've got to change my lifestyle to a healthier one. My goal for September is to lose at least a pound a week, and I'm super-motivated! Glad to be with you all again!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    brandi_84 wrote: »
    Hi! My name is Brandi. I'm 34. I am a stay at home/homeschool mom to a teenager. I was a member of this team the first half of the year but took a break for the summer. I lose all sense of routine during the summer and there is too much going on to be active in the forum.
    I did gain a couple of pounds over the summer which is better than I expected. Fall is usually when I do best at losing weight. I feel the most motivated as the weather cools. Fall always feels more like the start of a new year than the actual beginning of the year.
    My family has a new very active puppy which gives us no choice but to be motivated to get up and get moving by chasing him around or going for walks.
    I'm glad to be back to TBBT and I look forward to getting to know the new members.

@brandi_84, welcome back, Brandi! Only a couple of pounds over the summer...that's great!! And a new puppy to keep you busy...you and Christine will have to exchange notes! I think you summed up what a lot of us are feeling...."I feel the most motivated as the weather cools. Fall always feels more like the start of a new year than the actual beginning of the year."

Here's to a great September!!!
  • HASWLRS
    Options
    Hi, everyone! My name is Wendy and I am in Winter Park, Florida. I'm struggling right now with my attempts at fitness due to still-unaddressed hypothyroidism (my DR's appointment is 9/14), but I am giving it everything I've got to change my lifestyle to a healthier one. My goal for September is to lose at least a pound a week, and I'm super-motivated! Glad to be with you all again!

@ethelsmommy, Ha!! 'Winter Park, Florida' sounds like an oxymoron!!
  • annabananamc
    annabananamc Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

My name is Ann and I'm on my 3rd or 4th challenge month, not sure. The support and accountability has helped me as I navigated a move from MD to FL, serious downsizing, and sending my only kid off to college in MA. I'm still surrounded by boxes as I work to sort through and toss or find a place for everything.

The past 5 years I've gotten off track with weight and exercise. I eat fairly well most days, but not moving and a lot of stress, plus being 57 years post menopause woman has done a number on me. I'm currently in the mid 160s and would like to weigh 150 for my 5'5" big booty body. TEENSY STEP at a time, I'm getting there!

So looking forward to working together to achieve our goals!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I see a lot of us setting goals and as I was at the gym after work today I got into some thoughts about how I am sick of my weight just lingering around 240-245 like it has for most of this year. I’m not setting an end game goal yet but these are my September goals:
    1: go to the gym 4 times a week
    2a: be able to run a mile without stopping
    2b: run a mile in under 10 minutes
    3: lose 1.5 lbs per week (6 total for the month)
  • stubbornloser
    stubbornloser Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! And welcome to the newbies!
    My name is Kim and I live in Ontario, Canada. September will be the second month I am participating in this challenge. I wasn’t very chatty on the team message board last month, and I didn’t participate in the mini challenge. So, my goals for September are to interact here more, begin regular exercise, and track food (well, that and lose more weight!).
    Looking forward to losing with you all :-)
  • dymphnadaniels
    dymphnadaniels Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here, obviously. I have about 160 pounds to lose, and plan to lose it all in the next couple of years. I have issues with mental illness (schizophrenia, bipolar/manic depression, and bulimia); so, I'm aptly named (Dymphna is the patron saint of mental illness). I'm a writer by trade, mostly non-fiction work on mental illness. Being a writer also means my butt is in a chair somewhere a lot of the time. Sometimes to break up the monotony I ride the bus for 45 minutes to sit in a chair in the library for a couple of hours instead. I am working on my first fiction novel that I plan to publish. I have a black cat, because why not? Everyone needs an animal that will climb on him/her and shove its butt in his/her face at least once a day. Right now my exercise is walking. I love yoga and lifting, but my left wrist is missing a piece of bone on the inner bone making its integrity questionable; in addition, half of my left hand is almost completely numb making it difficult to do some things at this point. There is still also the question of whether or not I have a heart condition that's being investigated keeping me on limits right now. All of that being said, I still have the following goals:

1) Hit my step goal 6/7 days a week: reward new socks
    2) Stay under my calorie goal 7 days a week: reward new flavor of yogurt
    3) NO takeaways: reward wireless headphones
    4) NO purging activities (vomitting, laxative abuse, starvation/fasting or over exercising): put stickers on a calendar for each day able to see evidence of my hard work. In addition, I will get to buy some new stickers for next month.
    5) NO binging - stick to the script (e.g. meal plan): reward: new journal
    6) Gravity relationship adjustment - Aiming for 8 lbs: reward new jeans
    7) Get my 3 activities in a week at Transitions: reward new twistable crayons
    8) Write for a minimum of four hours a day: reward fountain pen
This discussion has been closed.