Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• LittleTee76
    LittleTee76 Posts: 13 Member
    Hi all! I have been IFing since June, just this week moved to 20:4 and OMAD. I was doing 16:8 and not losing any weight (although I wasn't gaining anything either).
    I'm 43, at 169 lbs, and would like to lose about 40 lbs, although I would be happy to get to 150 at this point. I started gaining after having kids, but really packed on the extra weight in the last four years due to stress (two job changes, three moves, starting a PhD, family, etc.). The stress is under control now, but in the past year, I found that the things that have worked previously to take off the weight are not working for me now. I have done a LOT of diets over the years: Atkins, South Beach, calorie restriction, Paleo/Primal, naturopathic diet (read: lots of supplements, and recipes with hard-to-source ingredients), Hormone diet, and more. My problem is I cannot stick with anything that restricts a food group or has a lot of rules (I'm a rebel that way!).
    Fasting appeals to me because a) it's simple to follow; b) it costs nothing to do; and c) takes away a lot of the decision-making around food (VERY surprising how much mental space that takes up!).
    I never ate terribly, but had a weakness for unhealthy snacks. OMAD and IF have reduced my need for snacks. I find if I begin eating, I keep going... which is likely why I gained the weight in the first place! OMAD controls that, without restricting me too much.
    The health benefits are a bonus. Since starting IF, the inflammation in my joints and back has been improved. I have tremendous mental clarity -- my productivity at work has gone way up. After the initial adjustment, my mood and confidence have also increased, and my anxiety has decreased. I sleep better (weirdly, this only improved when I began 20:4). These aspects alone make it worth doing. I hope weight loss will follow.
    During my fast, I'm only drinking black coffee, sparkling water and flat water. I have added 1 tsp of MCT powder to my coffee the first few days, but didn't use it the past two. I open my window around 3:30 or 4 pm. I have a snack which is a bit of protein and vegetables or fruit (hoping to cut this eventually as I adapt). My main meal is with my family in the evenings, and we eat mostly the same things... I usually eat more vegetables than everyone else, though. Then I close my window at 7:30 or 8.
    This is not a diet. I'm reframing this as a new way of living. The freedom in not having to think about food through the day, but being able to eat what I want (mostly!) for my OMAD is liberating.
    I'm happy to have found this group for support, and hope to provide support to others as well! Good luck to everyone on their journeys!
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    edited August 2019
    Get therapy - I'm a HUGE proponent of the fact that everyone should get as much therapy as they can afford :D:D:D life is HARD man! LMAO - I'm glad that perspective shifted your view...don't fight your natural tendencies, use it to your advantage! Don't feel silly....we all came into this with society's "opinion" that eating breakfast and eating throughout the day is the only "healthy" way to live and CERTAINLY to lose weight, but that's just not the case :)

I'm pretty much at goal at this point, but I love the folks on here and am an accountability person so it keeps me in line...I basically treat it like my personal blog and my lovelies give me the constant validation that again, I've accepted I need as part of my personality LOL You've got this! Be patient (hard I know), stay the course, run the play, and trust the process! <3

• mistymeadows2005
    Hi all! I have been IFing since June, just this week moved to 20:4 and OMAD. I was doing 16:8 and not losing any weight (although I wasn't gaining anything either).
    I'm 43, at 169 lbs, and would like to lose about 40 lbs, although I would be happy to get to 150 at this point. I started gaining after having kids, but really packed on the extra weight in the last four years due to stress (two job changes, three moves, starting a PhD, family, etc.). The stress is under control now, but in the past year, I found that the things that have worked previously to take off the weight are not working for me now. I have done a LOT of diets over the years: Atkins, South Beach, calorie restriction, Paleo/Primal, naturopathic diet (read: lots of supplements, and recipes with hard-to-source ingredients), Hormone diet, and more. My problem is I cannot stick with anything that restricts a food group or has a lot of rules (I'm a rebel that way!).
    Fasting appeals to me because a) it's simple to follow; b) it costs nothing to do; and c) takes away a lot of the decision-making around food (VERY surprising how much mental space that takes up!).
    I never ate terribly, but had a weakness for unhealthy snacks. OMAD and IF have reduced my need for snacks. I find if I begin eating, I keep going... which is likely why I gained the weight in the first place! OMAD controls that, without restricting me too much.
    The health benefits are a bonus. Since starting IF, the inflammation in my joints and back has been improved. I have tremendous mental clarity -- my productivity at work has gone way up. After the initial adjustment, my mood and confidence have also increased, and my anxiety has decreased. I sleep better (weirdly, this only improved when I began 20:4). These aspects alone make it worth doing. I hope weight loss will follow.
    During my fast, I'm only drinking black coffee, sparkling water and flat water. I have added 1 tsp of MCT powder to my coffee the first few days, but didn't use it the past two. I open my window around 3:30 or 4 pm. I have a snack which is a bit of protein and vegetables or fruit (hoping to cut this eventually as I adapt). My main meal is with my family in the evenings, and we eat mostly the same things... I usually eat more vegetables than everyone else, though. Then I close my window at 7:30 or 8.
    This is not a diet. I'm reframing this as a new way of living. The freedom in not having to think about food through the day, but being able to eat what I want (mostly!) for my OMAD is liberating.
    I'm happy to have found this group for support, and hope to provide support to others as well! Good luck to everyone on their journeys!

Sounds like you've got a good grasp on it already! Welcome! I concur with everything you said! Mental clarity, better sleep, etc. ALSO i'm the same way...once I start eating it's game over. SO my OMAD is late in the day and done :)
  • LittleTee76
    LittleTee76 Posts: 13 Member
    Get therapy - I'm a HUGE proponent of the fact that everyone should get as much therapy as they can afford :D:D:D life is HARD man! LMAO - I'm glad that perspective shifted your view...don't fight your natural tendencies, use it to your advantage! Don't feel silly....we all came into this with society's "opinion" that eating breakfast and eating throughout the day is the only "healthy" way to live and CERTAINLY to lose weight, but that's just not the case :)

I'm pretty much at goal at this point, but I love the folks on here and am an accountability person so it keeps me in line...I basically treat it like my personal blog and my lovelies give me the constant validation that again, I've accepted I need as part of my personality LOL You've got this! Be patient (hard I know), stay the course, run the play, and trust the process! <3

Yes I have done some therapy which has been part of the stress-reduction approach. Very helpful for sure!
    I might take your lead and start a thread to keep me accountable, and share with people who get it... when I talk about IF most people think I'm crazy!
  • mistymeadows2005

Yes I have done some therapy which has been part of the stress-reduction approach. Very helpful for sure!
    I might take your lead and start a thread to keep me accountable, and share with people who get it... when I talk about IF most people think I'm crazy!

I highly suggest it - this group is small enough that it helps keep up with everyone's progress :)
  • Omad is good. I went from 210 pounds to 150ish with 20lbs more id like to shred.
    It IS doable and by far the most successful method i tried. Get on the omad train and you will not look back. Honestly. I did this with 0 exercise (which im not proud of but thats the truth).
  • hobbiterry
    hobbiterry Posts: 1 Member
    Hobbiterry is my username
    I weigh 370 lbs.
    I'm 5'7"
    Started OMAD 3 weeks ago. Started weighing 7 days ago. Lost 7.8 lbs this week.
    I'm really not experiencing any challenges at this time, but embracing the opportunity. I do find fasting at work to be much easier than on weekends. Thanks
  • volgirl1322
    volgirl1322 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Welcome! That is great results so far!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    Welcome and great progress! Keep it up and we're here to help!
  • MariaNorthey
    MariaNorthey Posts: 1 Member

..My name is Maria, i m 54
    ...was 370 my highest - currently 344lbs
    ...5'6
    ...as i tried to sign-in for the first time i was reminded that i already had an existing account about 7 yrs ago. in my profile it says i am 344 i was shocked of the reminder that since then my weight has increased - horror!!!
    ...one day at time - increments of 50 lbs x 3
    ...10 days
    ...sept 11 - 2019

ive been watching the youtube videos .... hoping that the revolution /fight for my life will kick start.
  • volgirl1322
    Welcome to the group!!!!
  • mistymeadows2005
    edited September 2019
    Welcome Maria! You've got this!!!
  • tiopadrino
    tiopadrino Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,

Don't know if I'm doing this right. I wanted to ask if anyone has had similar experience on a certain issue regarding OMAD.
    I am 5'10", 219lbs., male. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes when I was 19, and for the last 20 years have fought it back and forth. I was without medication and insulin when I was at my fittest. Eating right, strict calorie counting, and going to gym 6 times a week. Doing massive weight training and cardio. Though after moving, I started feeling depressed, and ate badly again. Sugar got very bad. A1c got to 19.2 and any weight loss I had was a bad side affect of having such bad blood sugar.

I was recently given insulin and metformin. I was told that this would be for life, and that I had to make peace with it. I disagreed. I found other doctors who felt the same way, and advised that I can get off those things if I ate right and found what worked for me.

I started going back to some type of IF, and had success. I got off the insulin, and metformin. Did not like the weight gain associated with insulin, so I am happy about that.

my A1c dropped to 6.0 and my doctors were very happy that I got there with IF and eating better. I recently weight Dr. Jason Fung's books, and have been look at the OMAD revolution site.

I have been doing OMAD for about 2 months now, it works great, and I find it a great way to manage my way of eating and fits great into my work life.

I eat everyday around 3pm, but am flexible on days off from work, and might go as late as 6-7pm if I have dinner with my wife.

My question is whether others have experienced blood sugar being much higher after the ONE meal, and if all that matters is what the sugar is right before the ONE meal ?

For example, before I have my one meal, my sugar will be 102 mg/dL, and then (depending on meal) could be 200 mg/dL two hours later, or even 380 mg/dL if I have a carb heavy meal, or cookies.

I ask because I am curious. There is logic there to suggest that if I'm having all my carbs, or a good amount of carbs in one meal, then naturally it would be higher, but then it all goes down in 23-24 hrs. So, that is why I ask.

I have read Dr. Fung explain that is normal to have higher blood glucose when IF, because it pulls sugars from other stored places. I just wanted to see if others are getting such a high number after eating, and if that is normally scene as a result of eating just the ONE meal, that may or may not be carb heavy depending on the meal.

I know those higher sugar readings are on days when I have oatmeal cookies, or want some cake. And lower when I don't have a desert. But in general, should I not be surprised that it will be higher after an OMAD meal, than after a regular meal ?

Thank you for any support or suggestions. I look forward to this forum.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    tiopadrino wrote: »
    Hi,

Don't know if I'm doing this right. I wanted to ask if anyone has had similar experience on a certain issue regarding OMAD.
    I am 5'10", 219lbs., male. I was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes when I was 19, and for the last 20 years have fought it back and forth. I was without medication and insulin when I was at my fittest. Eating right, strict calorie counting, and going to gym 6 times a week. Doing massive weight training and cardio. Though after moving, I started feeling depressed, and ate badly again. Sugar got very bad. A1c got to 19.2 and any weight loss I had was a bad side affect of having such bad blood sugar.

I was recently given insulin and metformin. I was told that this would be for life, and that I had to make peace with it. I disagreed. I found other doctors who felt the same way, and advised that I can get off those things if I ate right and found what worked for me.

I started going back to some type of IF, and had success. I got off the insulin, and metformin. Did not like the weight gain associated with insulin, so I am happy about that.

my A1c dropped to 6.0 and my doctors were very happy that I got there with IF and eating better. I recently weight Dr. Jason Fung's books, and have been look at the OMAD revolution site.

I have been doing OMAD for about 2 months now, it works great, and I find it a great way to manage my way of eating and fits great into my work life.

I eat everyday around 3pm, but am flexible on days off from work, and might go as late as 6-7pm if I have dinner with my wife.

My question is whether others have experienced blood sugar being much higher after the ONE meal, and if all that matters is what the sugar is right before the ONE meal ?

For example, before I have my one meal, my sugar will be 102 mg/dL, and then (depending on meal) could be 200 mg/dL two hours later, or even 380 mg/dL if I have a carb heavy meal, or cookies.

I ask because I am curious. There is logic there to suggest that if I'm having all my carbs, or a good amount of carbs in one meal, then naturally it would be higher, but then it all goes down in 23-24 hrs. So, that is why I ask.

I have read Dr. Fung explain that is normal to have higher blood glucose when IF, because it pulls sugars from other stored places. I just wanted to see if others are getting such a high number after eating, and if that is normally scene as a result of eating just the ONE meal, that may or may not be carb heavy depending on the meal.

I know those higher sugar readings are on days when I have oatmeal cookies, or want some cake. And lower when I don't have a desert. But in general, should I not be surprised that it will be higher after an OMAD meal, than after a regular meal ?

Thank you for any support or suggestions. I look forward to this forum.

Hi, Tio!

Wow, that is the highest A1C I have ever come across! Your management of diabetes that bad, of all things, a great account.

Those who have a genetic propensity for diabetes will having higher fasting blood glucose levels than those without it. This was never an issue for me, but the important thing is you are managing quite well.

Welcome aboard!

-Joe
  • jadepearl
    jadepearl Posts: 3,111 Member
    A warm welcome❤️😘🤗
  • MsPouncer
    MsPouncer Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! Day 3 for me and really enjoying it so far. Gonna set up an accountability thread to keep me on track.
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Hi Team Omad! Am I breaking my fast if I add 40 calories to my coffee in the morning? Half and Half. I love my coffee and can't give up the cream. What I read as long as it is below 50 cals until my eating window it should be fine. Any comments are welcome :)
  • mistymeadows2005
    Everyone is different - I've always gone with the 25 cal rule of thumb but hey, if it's working go with it!
  • ginahalloran
    ginahalloran Posts: 1 Member
    My name is Gina.
    My current weight is 171 lbs, started intermittent fasting at 177.5.
    My height is 5' 1"
    I've struggled with my weight my entire adult life, from age 20, I'll be 50 next year.
    I more have a goal size of US women's 8, but around 145 pounds would make a nice goal.
    I eat late afternoon / early evening.
    Started intermittent fasting around 10/20/19 at 16:8, slowly increasing to OMAD just recently.

I had never really heard of fasting or OMAD until my friend messaged me about a month ago. Oddly, I jumped right on board - not with OMAD, but with intermittent fasting. After DECADES of dieting and always feeling hungry, I was shocked that NOT eating, just made you NOT hungry - LOL. Been gradually decreasing my eating window. I've tried every diet, supplement, shake, exercise program ever made. I'd lose a little then gain it all back. Always hungry and feeling deprived. Missed the foods I loved and it always disrupted my family / social life when I had to cut out food groups. Looking forward to the new way of living.
  • volgirl1322
    Welcome to the group!!!! This has been life-changing for a lot of us! Start a thread so we can follow your progress!!!

Welcome!