Introduce Yourself

Replies

• dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    @ConfidentRaven My mother was diagnosed with MS when I was 12 years old. I've watched her, been her legs and arms, and seen the toll that disease takes on a person but I've also seen how she's kept her spirit, even now. With my sincere heart, I wish you the BEST! Congrats on losing 86 pounds, that is no small feat! Good luck on the rest of your journey! You can do it!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Hello everyone!

My name is Kai, I’m a stay at home, homeschooling mom of three teenagers, two dogs, and two cats. I’ve been over weight most of my life and I’ve tried most diets out there and failed miserably. About five years ago I was diagnosed with MS and I just gave up for awhile. In December of last year I almost got stuck in my bed because of a bad flare. My husband was able to finally help me up, but it was a huge struggle for him. That was a kick in the *kitten* that I needed.

On January first of this year I got serious about my weight loss. Since then I’ve lost 86 pounds just doing calories in being less than calories out. It is the most amount of weight I’ve ever lost and the longest I’ve ever stuck with a “diet”. I still have a long way to go before I reach my goal weight, but my life has already improved drastically. I look forward to sharing this journey with everyone.

My stats
    45F 5’10”
    SW 382
    CW 296.6
    GW 160-170

@ConfidentRaven

I am very glad you accepted my invitation to join our little group here. What you have accomplished so far is very impressive. If it is okay with you I would like to start a thread specifically for diet breaks and let you explain why you thinking of taking one and have you update when you have a plan and how it is going for you.

I have never heard of anyone homeschooling the cats and dogs... jk
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    @ConfidentRaven Hey there! I recognize you from the Give me 10 days thread stuff. Welcome to the group.
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    @NovusDies your replies in the Message Forum inspired me to join your group because they make good sense, are based on fact (as opposed to emotion) and generally made a great overall impression on me. Thank you!

A little bit about me:
    56F 5'7"
    SW 263
    CW 243
    GW 140-ish

My commitment to myself is a lifetime of health which began in March 2019.

The realization that struck me in March was that I no longer would need to keep working until I die. A bit harsh, perhaps, but after a divorce that took my first 4010k, a recession that took my job (and my second 401k), and a couple of other belly-punches, my financial circumstances changed for the better. Ultimately, this means I will retire in approximately five years and very likely live to some ripe old age.

There is a caveat, however. For the last ten years when I didn't see anything but work-until-I-die, I decided to take my comfort as I found it, which was the grocery budget. I like to cook, I am a wonderful cook, and since that was my sole entertainment I gained weight. Ten pounds a year for ten years gave me my starting weight of 263. The deal is that I do want to retire! I want to be active and fit in retirement (and now!) and enjoy this gift that has been given to me.

While I gained the weight over a decade I realize it will also take time to be worked off; I'm shooting for 18-24 months; not another ten years. I've also committed to the concept that this how I am choosing to live the final 1/3 of my life, this is a lifestyle change, a permanent change.

So, that's a bit of background about me, deciding to love myself for my remaining days.

Pam
  • NovusDies
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    @NovusDies your replies in the Message Forum inspired me to join your group because they make good sense, are based on fact (as opposed to emotion) and generally made a great overall impression on me. Thank you!

A little bit about me:
    56F 5'7"
    SW 263
    CW 243
    GW 140-ish

My commitment to myself is a lifetime of health which began in March 2019.

The realization that struck me in March was that I no longer would need to keep working until I die. A bit harsh, perhaps, but after a divorce that took my first 4010k, a recession that took my job (and my second 401k), and a couple of other belly-punches, my financial circumstances changed for the better. Ultimately, this means I will retire in approximately five years and very likely live to some ripe old age.

There is a caveat, however. For the last ten years when I didn't see anything but work-until-I-die, I decided to take my comfort as I found it, which was the grocery budget. I like to cook, I am a wonderful cook, and since that was my sole entertainment I gained weight. Ten pounds a year for ten years gave me my starting weight of 263. The deal is that I do want to retire! I want to be active and fit in retirement (and now!) and enjoy this gift that has been given to me.

While I gained the weight over a decade I realize it will also take time to be worked off; I'm shooting for 18-24 months; not another ten years. I've also committed to the concept that this how I am choosing to live the final 1/3 of my life, this is a lifestyle change, a permanent change.

So, that's a bit of background about me, deciding to love myself for my remaining days.

Pam

Hi @hansep0012 / Pam

Welcome to LL.

Thank you for the kind words. I will try to deserve them.

Congrats on the progress you have made thus far. I think you will make a great addition to our group. Your ability to perceive yourself and your situation outside the context of just weight loss is impressive.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

I’ve given up on the cats, but I can tell you they’ve taught me well. As for the dogs, one of them might be a lost cause, I cannot get her to stop trying to eat bees. 😸
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies wrote: »

I’ve given up on the cats, but I can tell you they’ve taught me well. As for the dogs, one of them might be a lost cause, I cannot get her to stop trying to eat bees. 😸

lol. My dog has felt the sting of victory a few times himself.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Hi...I am connie and I am 68 years old....I have been posting on this site for awhile but have never introduced myself...My husband and I have been married for 44 years....John suffers from severe RA and is in a lot of pain which is stressful for me to watch him hurt so badly....we are both retired from owning grocery stores for many years....we worked a lot of hours on our feet on cement floors for a long time....we have two grown children...our daughter, her husband and their two children live with us...some days it is a circus in our house...we also have a 7 month old puppy.....my family is supportive of me losing weight but they still bring junk food home!....I have been overweight most of my life....I stayed at a healthy weight in high school and in college by being very active walking,biking and being in marching band...and using diet pills...as an adult at various times I have lost weight and regained....I yo yo and I binge....I ate to the point I wanted to throw up.....I have been on diet pills, injections,nutrasystem,weight watchers,Adkins,south beach,etc...this past spring I finally hit bottom and after a winter of dealing with depression and a feeling of no real purpose in life I decided I needed to make some changes if I wanted to be happier and live longer and healthier...I joined My Fitness Pal on May 28 at my all time high of 350 lbs. and immediately started logging my food...I have lost 37 lbs and weighed 313lbs as of this morning....I am motivated,focused and determined to lose weight and stay on this journey....I am so happy I found this group for people that need to lose a lot of weight...I would love to be friends with some of you...all of your stories are familiar and we have the same goals...we want to lose weight and be happy and healthy!....I have no set time to lose all of my weight...I am going day by day and making healthy choices and trying to enjoy the journey!
  • Hi I’m Brent, I started my recent journey to becoming healthier in November of 2018 at the weight of 480lbs. I rejoined MFP in February 2019 for support, and the ability to create a daily meal plan and track what I actually ate daily. I do not count calories. I have lost and regained and gained more weight at least a dozen times in my life. This time is different! I have 285lbs of excess weight to lose, and I am now confident I will lose it all. I would love to help others do the same. Feel free to add me as an MFP Friend. We all could use as much support as we can get in our journeys.
  • NovusDies
    Hi...I am connie and I am 68 years old....I have been posting on this site for awhile but have never introduced myself...My husband and I have been married for 44 years....John suffers from severe RA and is in a lot of pain which is stressful for me to watch him hurt so badly....we are both retired from owning grocery stores for many years....we worked a lot of hours on our feet on cement floors for a long time....we have two grown children...our daughter, her husband and their two children live with us...some days it is a circus in our house...we also have a 7 month old puppy.....my family is supportive of me losing weight but they still bring junk food home!....I have been overweight most of my life....I stayed at a healthy weight in high school and in college by being very active walking,biking and being in marching band...and using diet pills...as an adult at various times I have lost weight and regained....I yo yo and I binge....I ate to the point I wanted to throw up.....I have been on diet pills, injections,nutrasystem,weight watchers,Adkins,south beach,etc...this past spring I finally hit bottom and after a winter of dealing with depression and a feeling of no real purpose in life I decided I needed to make some changes if I wanted to be happier and live longer and healthier...I joined My Fitness Pal on May 28 at my all time high of 350 lbs. and immediately started logging my food...I have lost 37 lbs and weighed 313lbs as of this morning....I am motivated,focused and determined to lose weight and stay on this journey....I am so happy I found this group for people that need to lose a lot of weight...I would love to be friends with some of you...all of your stories are familiar and we have the same goals...we want to lose weight and be happy and healthy!....I have no set time to lose all of my weight...I am going day by day and making healthy choices and trying to enjoy the journey!

@conniewilkins56

I am glad you have joined us and introduced yourself. I was about to call security!

I have been down plenty of the paths you have taken myself. I had to become an expert on my failures to finally figure out a path that seems to be leading me to success.
  • NovusDies
    Hi I’m Brent, I started my recent journey to becoming healthier in November of 2018 at the weight of 480lbs. I rejoined MFP in February 2019 for support, and the ability to create a daily meal plan and track what I actually ate daily. I do not count calories. I have lost and regained and gained more weight at least a dozen times in my life. This time is different! I have 285lbs of excess weight to lose, and I am now confident I will lose it all. I would love to help others do the same. Feel free to add me as an MFP Friend. We all could use as much support as we can get in our journeys.

@Satisfiedwithbetter

Welcome to LL.

I will be very interested in hearing your particular plan. I have lost weight myself many times without counting calories and many people do it successfully all the way to goal. I never have but that is because I had a very bad relationship with the scale and I kept overcompensating for weight fluctuations until it made me so miserable I ended up rage quitting. My particular problem was solved by calorie counting because I am a numbers person it helps me see through the scale noise. But just because I need it doesn't mean everyone does.
  • With regard to weight-loss, I have had my phases wear the numbers are all that seems to make since, and as a numbers person myself I typically gravitate to them also, and I have also had my fair share of scale Madness. I have had the opportunity to experience and learn numbers are not the entire story.

The fastest way to describe what I have learned in the amazing and beautiful process of permanent losing weight is - its 99% mental and 1% physical. Change your thoughts and you will change your world!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Thank you....I am very happy I found this group of supportive friends....I am enjoying all of the current as well as the past posts....there is a wealth of information and insight here....it is wonderful to be in a group that shares your same struggles and challenges....some of the posts make me laugh and others bring tears to my eyes....we are all stronger than we know...getting healthier is possible.....everyday I am learning to believe that I can do this.....I have felt so positive that I recently changed my goal weight from 199 down to 180.... is that great, or what ? LoL...still a long way to go but 38 pounds closer than I was may 28 when I started!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited September 2019
    That's great progress so far. I've got a ways to go as well (another 108 lbs), but as long as I'm trending in the right direction with my weight, I'm happy. Not in a rush to hit my goal, trying to keep everything sustainable in the long run.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Hi everyone, I've read every post and there's so many I wanted to quote - I agree with so many of you. I'm made up to have found this little corner of the internet so thank you for setting it up :) It really does make a difference to have the support of other's who understand.

I'm 42, married for 22 years, a working mum to 2 kids who are both in uni. They're still in that teenage adult phase (aren't we all). They both moved out in the last few years and it is nice to have the extra space but I really really miss them messing the place up.

I've been overweight since my mid 20's and obese since my mid 30's and it's about time I done something serious about it. Like most people, I've been on diets before but I was never 100% commited or they were just fad diets that didn't work in 6 weeks so I binned them off. This time it's not a weight loss diet - it's a healthy diet for life.

I've lost 45lb and have 120 odd left to go :wink:

Good luck to everyone x
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2019
    Hi everyone, I've read every post and there's so many I wanted to quote - I agree with so many of you. I'm made up to have found this little corner of the internet so thank you for setting it up :) It really does make a difference to have the support of other's who understand.

I'm 42, married for 22 years, a working mum to 2 kids who are both in uni. They're still in that teenage adult phase (aren't we all). They both moved out in the last few years and it is nice to have the extra space but I really really miss them messing the place up.

I've been overweight since my mid 20's and obese since my mid 30's and it's about time I done something serious about it. Like most people, I've been on diets before but I was never 100% commited or they were just fad diets that didn't work in 6 weeks so I binned them off. This time it's not a weight loss diet - it's a healthy diet for life.

I've lost 45lb and have 120 odd left to go :wink:

Good luck to everyone x

@wannabeskinnycat

Welcome to LL.

Congrats on the 45 pounds lost! That is awesome!

I believe being mentally ready to change your life and not just a number on the scale is what makes the biggest difference. To me that is what this group is for. A goal beyond the scale, how clothes fit, and how we look in pictures. This is about unlocking our lives and our health. The other stuff is great too. I have been looking at some nice clothes and shoes that I feel like will look good on me post-op but those are side benefits.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Thanks for the welcome @NovusDies

I naively thought the physical aspects of hunger and working tired muscles would be the hardest but the realisation of losing weight has been the toughest for me so far. Obviously I knew I was big but now I’m focused on my health it’s always in my head and guilt creeps in. When people say oh you look amazing I think is that cos I looked **** before? Unfair I know but that’s where learning to love all of me comes into it :)

I know what you mean about window shopping and omg imagine having a pic that you were happy with! This is such a positive feel great mini forum <3

• NovusDies
    Thanks for the welcome @NovusDies

I naively thought the physical aspects of hunger and working tired muscles would be the hardest but the realisation of losing weight has been the toughest for me so far. Obviously I knew I was big but now I’m focused on my health it’s always in my head and guilt creeps in. When people say oh you look amazing I think is that cos I looked **** before? Unfair I know but that’s where learning to love all of me comes into it :)

I know what you mean about window shopping and omg imagine having a pic that you were happy with! This is such a positive feel great mini forum <3

Now the next time someone tells me I look good that is what will go through my head! Who am I kidding? I have always been a handsome devil. (ok, not really).

I like this group of people. I have been very fortunate that you guys are the ones that have decided to join. It doesn't seem possible that we have only been here since the first of July. It seems like we have had a year's worth of discussions already. I wanted a place that was a resource for people with more to lose and it is really happening. It is also a good place to laugh, scream, brag, support, whatever among people who really get it.