Leslie Sansone October 2019 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
WELCOME to all walkers!

The October Walk Challenge starts this week, so now is the time to be thinking about our new individual monthly challenge goals!

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player can be a great addition to walking outdoors in the crisp cool days of Autumn. For those who are enjoying the onset of cooler weather, walking or hiking outdoors might well continue to be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs. For those of us who live where high temperatures outdoors could easily remain for another month or so, the DVDs are awesome when it is impossible to get up with the sun to squeeze in a quick, cooler walk early in the morning.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles and minutes. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles or minutes that you have walked, however you did it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you!

Set your personal goal for how many miles or minutes that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like. It is such an encouragement to read each others' posts.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
So if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health goals. It is never too late to join in

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors or on the treadmill or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know . So please share if you would care to :p .

Come on in, and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I know that I say this each month but I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.
I know that we are all excited to see our long time faithful walking friends o:) join us for yet another amazing month together, and we are awaiting the opportunity to welcome newcomers to this month's Walk Challenge!

And now... let us lace up those walking shoes and get some water... as we begin to walk into October 2018!

mmmm .... this is also the month when we can enjoy all things 'pumpkin' ..... as well as all of the other wonderful sights, scents, and yummy tastes of autumn ;)

Walk happy :)

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
Β«13456789

Replies

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I am going to do something very different this month. I need to get back into strength training so my clothes fit better. I hate it, but it has to be done. :grumble: So, Wed, Fri and Sun, I am going to rotate the upper and lower body workout from Tone Every Zone. Mon. Tues. & Sat. I will be doing regular walking videos or neighborhood walks and I'd like to average at least 3.5 miles a day so I end the month with 108.5 miles. Thurs. I work from 9AM -9 PM so it is my "rest" day from workouts. Winter is coming and I want my pants to fit the way they are supposed to!!! :laugh:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • szn123hub
    szn123hub Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am starting over with the 1 mile videos. my goals are to do a 1 mile video daily and log 2 more miles throughout the day. Miles for the month will be a minimum of 93. For the past two months I have been lax and lazy, but no more!
  • Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    So I guess I sort of took September off. Not a single exercise logged. Getting back on the wagon in October!!
    I got a class pass to a local fitness center. 11 visits and I'm hoping to get at least half of the visits in October.
    Hubby and I picked up some exercise bands for both of us to use for strength training as well as a 5 lbs and 8lbs hand weight. We already for 2 sets of 3lbs and 1 10lbs set. Between videos and Youtube, the only reason I would need a personal trainer is to literally drag me out of bed. ;)

Goal: 80 Miles tracked
    Apple Watch Goal: Complete all 3 rings 3x this month
  • JoyStoltenburg
    JoyStoltenburg Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am going to shoot for 75 miles this month with walking at work and doing a workout at work. Will post my miles each day along with the other work stuff. HAPPY WALKING EVERYONE.

10/1 Workout #222 taking care of fire ants in the morning & picking peppers from garden, over-locking spaces and cutting a lock, walking around Lowes and pushing heavy lumber cart across the store.... 1 hr total and 1 mile
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    @szn123hub - Glad you joined the challenge. And what zichab said, ^... -so true. You've got a plan and you can do this.

@Gigitgoescrazy - Wow, you are already off to a fantastic October!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    @Deeder522 - LOL... There must be some enterprising person running an "Exercise Police" company, willing to drag you out of bed every day. You know it could become a new industry. Imagine some companies wanting to improve their absentee rates and schools too. I think I'm onto something.

@knjstolt - Joy - You got this. Happy walking, Girl!
  • AnnofB
    Options
    My goal: 3 strength workouts a week. Still not loving it, but I do appreciate that doing it is strengthening my bones, making me stronger and more flexible. And boy, it sure is calling on some discipline to get it done. ;)

10/1....3 miles of 5 Boosted Miles
  • texasgardnr
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @zichab, I'm going to borrow your idea in order to get my strength and cardio plan automated for October. And hopefully more successful this month. I'm working out which days to do what, and going to start off using your idea to use the Tone Every Zone DVD for my strength for this month. Last month I used the miracle miles band for any DVD that used it or the stretchie band and also used some weights. But having to decide each day what, if anything, strength wise or not, was a rough way to start off deciding the strength w/o. Thanks πŸ™ƒπŸŒΊ.
    Great plan you have!!

@szn123hub, using the 1 mile videos is really a good way to get back into the walking DVDs! I have done the same before. Tracking you other miles will also be a great encouragement for getting back into step. Excellent plan 🌹!!

@Deeder522, yay for you having a class pass to your local fitness center! That sounds like it will be a great addition to your plan for exercising in October. That is super cool that your husband is on board with you for doing strength training 🌸!

@Gidgitgoescrazy, welcome back! So smart of you to consult your previous exercise journals to see what was going on when you were on your game! Then making a mileage schedule! We are cheering you on πŸ‘ŒπŸ™Œ.

@knjstolt, everything you do is a WORKOUT πŸƒβ€β™€οΈπŸ’ͺ!!!

@AnnofB, Great goal again! You are certainly my strength πŸ’ͺ hero. And an encourager, thank you 🌷.

:flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    My goal for October is to be extra active and/ or exercise at least 5 days a week. In the past I've been actually doing something for 6 days a week with 1 rest day. Which is my ultimate goal. This month I will be adding in planned strength workouts also.

October 1: 1.5 hours yard & garden
    October 2: 3 miles: 3 Fast & Fun Miles, 1 mini walk, 1 Walk Blaster

• zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Oct Goal: 108.5 miles with W, F & Su alternating upper and lower body strength from Tone Every Zone.

10/1-WAH-Heart Healthy Walk-3 miles=3 miles total
    -Vivofit tracked 3.8 miles=6.8 miles total
    10/2- Just Walk-4 Miles Power Workout-2 miles=8.8
    -Tone every Zone-Upper Body Circuit .7 miles=9.5 miles total

@texasgardnr -It looks more complicated written out than it really is. W-10/1=upper body circuit, F-10/4=lower body circuit, Su-10/6=Upper body circuit Then repeat W 10/9=Lower Body Circuit, F 10/ 11=Upper Body Circuit & SU 10/13 =Lower Body Circuit and so on. I have to avoid Thursdays (long day 9:00 AM-9:00 PM) and Monday as that is my online catch up day. So far, the first day is working great :laugh:!!! I need a plan with strength training or I will not do it. :embarassed: I admire @AnnofB and her disciplined dedication to it! :drinker:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    I am going to shoot for 75 miles this month with walking at work and doing a workout at work. Will post my miles each day along with the other work stuff. HAPPY WALKING EVERYONE.

10/1 1 mile Workout #222 taking care of fire ants in the morning & picking peppers from garden, over-locking
    spaces and cutting a lock, walking around Lowes and pushing heavy lumber cart across the store.... 1
    hr total and
    10/2 2.4 miles Workout #203 Walking &cleaning property & spaces. Total 3.4 miles
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    @zichab, thank you for your helpful explanations! That helped understand your pattern and how it fits with your schedule. I need to have a fairly firm plan in place also. I made one last evening and will see how it works in real life now 😜 for this month.

My revised goal for October is to make a plan to include strength circuits and also DVD or outdoors walking during the week. Looking back at my exercise journal for this year I've been actually doing something either purposely more active or exercise walks for 6 days a week with 1 rest day. Which has been my ultimate goal. So to change things up this month I'm focusing on forcing myself to include specific, planned rotating strength workouts. Also any extra things such as garden/ yard work or longer errand days with more walking involved will be on top of my routine DVD/ outdoors walking. I'm hoping to up my activity level this month πŸ˜….

October 1: 1.5 hours yard & garden
    October 2: 3 miles: 3 Fast & Fun Miles, 1 mini walk, 1 Walk Blaster
    October 3: 20 min Fast Walk, Lower Body Circuit, 2 Walk Blasters

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Well I did it. I spent 30 min looking through all the YouTube videos and then finally said just do a mile, Deeder. And then, I did. 1mile body fat burn.

Thanks girls!
    Strength training is some both the hubby and I should do. Specific for him as he has lots of β€œplay” in his joints and needs muscles to keep everything in place.
  • AnnofB
    Options
    October goal: 3 strength workouts a week.

10/1....3 miles of 5 Boosted Miles
    10/2....60 minutes of light weights with lot's of reps, 41minutes of Burn to the Beat
    10/3....rest day
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options

10/1 1 mile Workout #222 taking care of fire ants in the morning & picking peppers from garden, over-locking
    spaces and cutting a lock, walking around Lowes and pushing heavy lumber cart across the store.... 1
    hr total
    10/2 2.4 miles Workout #203 Walking &cleaning property & spaces. Total 3.4 miles
    10/3 2 miles Workout #204 Walking & cleaning property & spaces and sweeping climate control hallways 1.5 hrs
    Total 5.44 miles
  • JoyStoltenburg
    Options
    @AnnofB & @texasgardnr If I sweat it is a workout LOL Sweat is good. Even walking the property at the Stroage Units I come back in the office soaking wet
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Hi Walker Friends! Late to the party again, but I'm here and I've been walking and strength training. I LOVE that so many of you are strength training this month, too. Somehow I think it makes it a bit easier to know we are all suffering sweating through these workouts together! :laugh: October is a great month to put in extra work before we all get caught up in the holiday madness!

For October, I will continue strength training daily, trying for more variety and increasing the challenge. For Leslie mileage, I'm aiming for 180 this month.

Oct 1: 7 miles ~ 4 Mile Super Challenge + 3 Fast Miles + 18 min HASfit legs
    Oct 2: 6 miles ~ 4 Mile Punch Up Your Walk + 2 Miles Woman's Walk + 2 Circuits (upper & lower) Tone Every Zone
    Oct 3: 6 miles ~ 3 Miles iWalk Strong + 3 Fast Miles + 18 min HASfit legs

19 of 180 miles
  • AnnofB
    Options
    knjstolt wrote: Β»
    @AnnofB & @texasgardnr If I sweat it is a workout LOL Sweat is good. Even walking the property at the Stroage Units I come back in the office soaking wet

We've been in the 90's for weeks, sometimes over 100 degrees. The minute I walk out I start to sweat, so I feel your pain, believe me. One more day (today) and the weatherguy promised no more 90's. I sure hope he's right!