Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    maybe1pe wrote: »
    Hope it's okay if I join. I wish a group like this would have existed when I started in 2015...
    About me.
    5'5" 29F.
    SW: 281 (March 2015)
    CW: 165
    GW: Undecided.

Total Weight lost: 116 lbs

I'm mostly out of the weight loss phase for myself (slowly drifting downwards) but like I mentioned I wish a group like this would have been around when I started a few years ago.
    I've maintained this weight for almost 2 years now since January 2018 ish. But have continued to lose inches and fat.

Never did anything crazy just used MFP and my food scale to track my calories. Lost 80lbs before I ever did a single "exercise" or "workout".

Good luck everyone. :smile:

@maybe1pe

It is not just okay it is great that you are joining. I believe we need perspectives from people at the start, middle, near goal, and goal to provide insights to help round us out. Experience is valuable and that value can improve group success.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    @maybe1pe. Hi and welcome! Great hearing from a maintenance perspective! I'm sure you will be a great addition with you insight and "been there, done that" experience. Great job.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    @mountainready. Hello. You've done such an awesome job! Your light at the end of the runner is just around the corner. Hope you stick around even when you reach your goal!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi all! My name's Ellie, and I've been working on this whole weight loss thing since the beginning of this year-- I started off at 277, and I'm currently just under 192, so about 85lbs down so far. My goal is to lose another 30-40, but I'm willing to be flexible about that as I get closer to my goal. Most of my progress so far is down to calorie counting and patience, but as a reward to myself for getting under 200 I've gotten the ball rolling on twice-weekly personal training sessions, so we'll see what effect that has on things. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Hi @mountainready Ellie,

Welcome.

Amazing job.

Jump in anywhere. Only 75.8 percent of our members bite new people.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My first disagree! I think the percentage might be a tad higher.

Welcome @mountainready! You've done remarkably well so far. I started around the same time but about 110 lbs heavier. Sub-200 sounds dreamy. 😄
  • MyVictory2020
    MyVictory2020 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm no stranger to MFP. I've tried this so many times that I'm probably a serial starter. This time I'm determined to be a finisher. Things are different now...

I've reached a point in my life where I'm tired of being unhealthy. I'm tired of being tired and depressed all the time. I'm tired of feeling sick every morning because I ate too much the night before. I'm tired of living in a fog because my body is full of reprocessed junk food instead of healthy choices. I'm tired of telling my son I can't do things because I feel sick or because I physically can't. I'm just over it.

I've never been over it before. In the past I've always gone on temporary motivation, which is fleeting. I've always tried radical changes, which don't work. I've done everything wrong and failed. Now it's time to do it right and win!

Slow and steady. I'm going to focus on making healthy choices and when the weight comes off, it comes off. Perfect example, I really want some donuts for breakfast, but I'm going to have eggs instead.

Friends with similar journeys are welcome and needed. I don't want to go this alone
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I'm no stranger to MFP. I've tried this so many times that I'm probably a serial starter. This time I'm determined to be a finisher. Things are different now...

I've reached a point in my life where I'm tired of being unhealthy. I'm tired of being tired and depressed all the time. I'm tired of feeling sick every morning because I ate too much the night before. I'm tired of living in a fog because my body is full of reprocessed junk food instead of healthy choices. I'm tired of telling my son I can't do things because I feel sick or because I physically can't. I'm just over it.

I've never been over it before. In the past I've always gone on temporary motivation, which is fleeting. I've always tried radical changes, which don't work. I've done everything wrong and failed. Now it's time to do it right and win!

Slow and steady. I'm going to focus on making healthy choices and when the weight comes off, it comes off. Perfect example, I really want some donuts for breakfast, but I'm going to have eggs instead.

Friends with similar journeys are welcome and needed. I don't want to go this alone

Hi again @MyVictory2020,

Welcome to LL.

Just be careful segregating food into good and bad and healthy and unhealthy. There is food that helps us, food we enjoy that needs to be moderated, and food that we cannot moderate that needs to be off the menu until we can handle it (if possible). The exception of course is food that is not medically safe for an individual to eat. It is just another thing that keeps us from making any type of radical change. All we need is a calorie deficit to lose weight and losing weight will make us healthier all by itself.

We are still a fairly young group here but there is a GREAT group of people here who all have a good understanding of what it means to carry extra weight and the struggles of losing it. There is a lot of valuable information already posted so please read and jump in anywhere. Ask any questions and we will do our best to answer them.
  • MyVictory2020
    MyVictory2020 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It's good to find a community of people who are on the same journey. It's also affirming to see the things I'm aiming for to be working for others.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Thank you! It's good to find a community of people who are on the same journey. It's also affirming to see the things I'm aiming for to be working for others.

It definitely works. It doesn't happen fast but then in a way it does when I consider all the time I wasted in past attempts that were largely failures because I would not get out of my own way. I just passed the 20 month mark myself.
  • FionaNiConnor
    FionaNiConnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody. @MyVictory2020's post popped up on my feed and that led me here.
    I'm Angela, and I'm on my third or fourth restart here. This time I'm at an all-time high weight of almost 304lbs, which obviously is not sustainable.
    I'm 5'9", have PCOS (yay!), SW304/GW200.

Let's go!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi, everybody. @MyVictory2020's post popped up on my feed and that led me here.
    I'm Angela, and I'm on my third or fourth restart here. This time I'm at an all-time high weight of almost 304lbs, which obviously is not sustainable.
    I'm 5'9", have PCOS (yay!), SW304/GW200.

Let's go!

Hi @FionaNiConnor Angela,

Welcome to LL. The ugly No Quitters graphic is a constant reminder we never need to restart again as long as we never quit. It doesn't mean we will be perfect it just means we won't quit for every mistake or bad day.

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I think all of us in Larger Losers know the struggles of carrying over 100 + lbs of excess weight...I was also sick and tired of being sick and tired!....this time I have stuck to the plan and I am losing weight....MFP works!...I have missed so much by being overweight for so many years...time for me to make up for the years I have left...all of our stories are different but we are all on the same journey!....you have found the right place for motivation,advice and inspiration....
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi all,

My name is Tori and I have always, always struggled with my weight from childhood until now. I have a very difficult time with food due to some past issues with it, but I want to lose weight in a healthy way now. I recently found out I have high cholesterol and I was so disappointed in myself, especially being 23, I should not have let myself get to the point I am at. So, that was definitely a wake-up call for me!

I am also in my first year of graduate school, which is stressful, but I want to resist the urge of turning to food when I am stressed. I am really trying to teach myself self-control around food, but it has been an uphill battle. I have 100+ pounds to lose, and I really need to stop putting it off.

I have lost 6lbs so far (woo!) haha it is the little things that keep you going. I decided to join a group to help keep myself accountable and be with people who are having some of the same "struggles" as me.

Hi @torihudson6 Tori,

Congrats on the 6 pounds. That is not a little thing. It is good progress. Weight loss is about small numbers adding up to big ones.

I think it is time to let the disappointment go. You can't do anything about who you have been you can only change who you are and will be. You really need to be able to evaluate your mindset and habits with an objective viewpoint and not be clouded by negative emotion.

You will need to be kind to yourself and give yourself a very manageable rate of loss because weight loss add stress. Always give yourself grace and forgiveness for any mistakes that will occur and do not consider anything bad that you feel you do is enough to quit over.

Keep posting. Talk about anything with which you are struggling.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    aimelyn wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have been lurking here for about a week and feel like it is probably time to introduce myself. :)

I am a mom in my mid-thirties from a small town in Saskatchewan. I am not counting calories per say, but being mindful of them and watching my portion sizes. So far I am down about 10 lbs in just under 3 weeks. I know that I will probably get to a point where I need to start counting in ernest but I am not ready for that right now (baby steps!) After years of feeling like I was just meant to be fat I am now at a place where I want to do something about it. I started at 293 lbs and my goal is 190 lbs. Probably more important is that I have a list of NSVs that I want to achieve along the way. I can't wait to share this journey with you all - I can already tell that you are my kind of people. :)

Hi @aimelyn,

Welcome to LL you creepy week-long lurker person! Congrats on the 10 pounds!

I believed in weight set-points for a long time and that my genetics determined I should be heavy. I was very wrong but it sure did seem to be true because when I tried to lose weight somehow I always regained more than I lost. I think we just have certain blind spots in our lives for awhile.

Anyway glad you are here.

• pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    I'm Mary and have been a member of MFP for what seems like a lifetime. If I spent as much time actually making healthy choices as I do worrying about my weight - I'd be where I need to be at this very moment. I need to make (re-make) the commitment to do this and make the struggles of being morbidly obese a distant memory. I did not know this group existed or I would have been here long ago. :)
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Welcome Cheryl & Mary!