Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    My name is Cheryl, my daughter introduced me to MFP.
    I love the apt but have a long way to go. I have 84lbs and like many struggle to do simple things like socks, shoes, climbing stairs without being out of breath. It will be good to receive support but to also encourage and support others.
    😊

Hi @CherylAChapman3720,

Extra weight makes just about everything harder. It is amazing how much freedom and ease of life is sacrificed.

Better days are ahead of you. Ask for any help you need.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    I'm Mary and have been a member of MFP for what seems like a lifetime. If I spent as much time actually making healthy choices as I do worrying about my weight - I'd be where I need to be at this very moment. I need to make (re-make) the commitment to do this and make the struggles of being morbidly obese a distant memory. I did not know this group existed or I would have been here long ago. :)

Hi @pizzafruit Mary,

We have only been here since the first of July. I started it assuming it would die because the MFP group graveyard is huge. Well it didn't die and I think we are doing quite well.

No since in worrying about the past now. It is a lesson I often have to remind myself. We just need to focus on today and making tomorrow's version of ourselves slightly better. Then keep repeating the process.

• NovusDies
    Options
    I saw this introduction format on another broad and thought it was a good way to say hello.

DATE - 10-20-2019

SIGNIFICANCE OF YOUR USER NAME - Name plus year I graduated from high school

REAL NAME - Charles

AGE - 60

BIRTH DATE - May 28

WHERE YOU LIVE - Houston, TX

SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Nan

ANNIVERSARY - March 2nd

KIDS - Katy, Carlee, Kyle

PETS - Bear (Snorkie) and Bailey (dachshund)

OCCUPATION - ERP Director

STARTING WEIGHT - 414 (this time) Highest back in 2004 562.3

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Calorie counting

FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Cycling & Strength Training

FAV. NO-NO FOODS - Fast Food all of it. French fries most of all.

FAV.BOOK(S) - Too many to list - but if you really want to know https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8332090-charles

FAV. MOVIE(S) - Field of Dreams, Braveheart, Apollo 13 ... many others

FAV. SONG(S) - End of the Innocence by don Henley, They Don't know about Us by Tracy Ullman (lol I know) and anything by the Eagles

FAV. QUOTE - "The future is not some place we are going, but one we create. The paths are not found, but made, and the activity of making them changes both the maker and the destination"

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU - I thought I was done with losing weight. I got fit in my mid 40's after a lifetime of obesity. I managed to keep it off for about 7 years, and then lost focus. I like having support on the journey to fitness and I like helping others.

My blog with pictures.

I like this proverb in relation to weight loss.

“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
    African Proverb

Hi @CharlesScott78,

That was a comprehensive introduction. I hope there will not be a pop quiz on it.

Welcome to the group.

Jump into anywhere. This is not a formal group.
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Welcome @CharlesScott78! Way to maintain your loss of more than 150lbs! Finding a way to just be healthier for the rest our lives seems to be the trick. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place for the rest of your journey.....a very motivating and supportive group....looking forward to your posts!
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You came to the right place for the rest of your journey.....a very motivating and supportive group....looking forward to your posts!

Thank you for reaching out. Looking forward to being part of the group.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You are welcome...it is difficult to make all of these changes alone....it is good to have others on your team that are going thru the same things you are!
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @charlesscott78 Welcome and thanks for the FR this morning!
  • Doubleknot3679
    Doubleknot3679 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 24 years old and weigh 345 lbs. Yesterday I bumped into a friend from high school and he didn't recognize me. I didn't realize how different I look now compared to back then. I've gained over 125 lbs in the 5 years since I graduated. I need to change. After looking back at pictures of me from my highschool swim team I am disgusted with what I have done to myself.

Last winter I lost 20 lbs over 2 months by watching my calorie intake, but I failed to keep at it and gained 5 lbs between then and now. This time I will incorporate exercise in addition to create a habit of good health. I refuse to let Highschool me be the best shape of my life.
  • CML32518
    CML32518 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm Christy. I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. Due to that and bad habits, I gained a lot of weight, and fast., I am currently sitting at 340 lbs, down 10 from my starting point of 350. Right now, I am focusing on eating healthier, prepping my foods for the week at work, where I use to order out a lot while at my work desk. I am now on my 2nd day of getting on the treadmill after work. I have cut out the soda's, and drinking a lot more water. But I find that when it is available.. I'll eat some chocolate my kids bring home. I'm trying hard to not do that anymore.
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Matt here. Back in July, I had a bit of a scare when I worked out for 30 mins on the elliptical and decided I needed to get back in shape and fast, I didn't want to die at the age of 28. Luckily, my past EKG's have been solid, blood sugar and cholesterol levels were good, but have been dealing with some pretty bad anxiety. I'm just under 6'2'', and clocked in around 400 pounds at the beginning of July. I slowly started reducing my carbs and swore off candy (which I'm sure I was addicted to), chocolate, pretty much all sweets and sugary beverages, fried foods, and pizza. I lost about 25 pounds in the first 6 weeks, and then incorporated both keto and intermittent fasting into my daily routine. I've since lost another 54 pounds, and weighed in at 321 this morning. It's been a roller coaster of the last few months with many ups and downs, but with the support of family/friends/coworkers, my doctors, and logging MFP - I know that I won't be stopped. My BIG goal weight is 200 pounds, but the shorter term goal is to get out of the 3 club by 12/31 (~100 pounds down). I also use a step-tracker (went from my iPhone to Garmin GPS Golf to Fitbit). The every day things have become much easier than they were back at the beginning of the summer - my golf swing is going to have some serious changes needed with my big belly shrinking the way it has... I have a long way to go, but to the people with huge weight loss goals, just don't give up. Set small goals along the way. Be open with others about your journey. Know that you are making the change to live a long healthy and happy life.
  • merph518
    Options
    @CML32518 Welcome, Christy!

It sounds like you've made a good start of things. I found that making sure to log everything *as I ate it* helped me to make better decisions when it came to higher calorie snacks like candy. At that point, the question became "is this worth the calories?" more so than "am I allowed to eat this?" I'll still allow myself a treat as long as it fits within my budget.
  • merph518
    Options
    @dishiznice Welcome Matt!

Great progress so far. Just be careful not to restrict yourself too much -- you want the changes you make to be sustainable in the long run.

I'm in a similar situation, I started back in January at 386 lbs and I'm aiming for a long term goal weight of 186. 200 sounded like a nice round number. I'm hoping to hear more about your progress here in the group forums!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I saw this introduction format on another broad and thought it was a good way to say hello.

DATE - 10-24-2019

SIGNIFICANCE OF YOUR USER NAME - Absolutely nothing, auto-generated by my employer.
    REAL NAME - Pam
    AGE - 57
    BIRTH DATE - September 3rd
    WHERE YOU LIVE - Sandia Park, NM
    SIGNIFICANT OTHER - Bill
    KIDS - Yup, ten between my husband and I (all out of the house and living their own lives).
    PETS - Dogs: Bear (Cockapoo), Raj (Poodle) and Titus (A really large Beagle that we nick-named "The Bagel"). Cats: Bo (large orange tabby) and Lovey (petit calico).
    OCCUPATION - Administrative Assistant (aka I sit all day)

STARTING WEIGHT (SW) - 263
    CURRENT WEIGHT (CW) - 238
    GOAL WEIGHT (GW) - 143

WHAT PLAN ARE YOU FOLLOWING - Calorie counting
    FAV. EXERCISE(S) - Turns out I am a country club girl! Who knew?! Swimming, tennis and now golf (a new sport for me) and the ever-trusty treadmill.
    FAV. FOODS - Wine with a well-plated entrée - the atmosphere, the company, the event.....

CURRENTLY READING - Mother Earth News magazine, Flyte (fantasy/sci-fi), The Four Agreements (self-awareness)
    FAV. MOVIE - Princess Bride - True Love, Giants, Politics, Sword Fighting, my all-time favorite movie!
    FAV. SONG(S) / ARTISTS - Anything by the Eagles, Imagine Dragons, Beach Boys, Rat Pack (Dino, Sammy, Frank), Gregorian chants (don't judge, I like 'em), Miles Davis, Bluegrass (for my inner Cajun), Outlaw country (Nelson, Haggard, Jennings, Cash), piano concertos, umm, that's enough.

FAV. QUOTE - "The difference between a stumbling block and stepping stone is how you use them."

ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE PEOPLE TO KNOW ABOUT YOU - I am looking forward to living the last third of my life as a fit, energetic, caring person.

@CharlesScott78 nice ice-breaker!

Pam
  • CharlesScott78
    CharlesScott78 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks! 😊
  • NovusDies
    Options
    CML32518 wrote: »
    I'm Christy. I have PCOS and Hypothyroidism. Due to that and bad habits, I gained a lot of weight, and fast., I am currently sitting at 340 lbs, down 10 from my starting point of 350. Right now, I am focusing on eating healthier, prepping my foods for the week at work, where I use to order out a lot while at my work desk. I am now on my 2nd day of getting on the treadmill after work. I have cut out the soda's, and drinking a lot more water. But I find that when it is available.. I'll eat some chocolate my kids bring home. I'm trying hard to not do that anymore.

Hi @CML32518 Christy,

Welcome to LL. Great start.

Just remember that if you have no health reasons to avoid it, can moderate it, and you can make it fit in your calorie budget you can eat it. That includes chocolate.

There is no way of eating that is safe from weight gain. Vegetarians and Vegans can become obese. Likewise there is no specific way you have to eat to lose weight. It is all about calories.

As you progress through your weight loss you will lose daily calories. When you weigh less you need less food to fuel your body. As this happens you will be forced to keep compromising and changing what you eat if you wish to continue to lose weight. The nice thing about it is that you are not forced to change everything right now and you can make small changes over time that won't be a shock and be less likely to leave you feeling deprived.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    dishiznice wrote: »
    Hi all. Matt here. Back in July, I had a bit of a scare when I worked out for 30 mins on the elliptical and decided I needed to get back in shape and fast, I didn't want to die at the age of 28. Luckily, my past EKG's have been solid, blood sugar and cholesterol levels were good, but have been dealing with some pretty bad anxiety. I'm just under 6'2'', and clocked in around 400 pounds at the beginning of July. I slowly started reducing my carbs and swore off candy (which I'm sure I was addicted to), chocolate, pretty much all sweets and sugary beverages, fried foods, and pizza. I lost about 25 pounds in the first 6 weeks, and then incorporated both keto and intermittent fasting into my daily routine. I've since lost another 54 pounds, and weighed in at 321 this morning. It's been a roller coaster of the last few months with many ups and downs, but with the support of family/friends/coworkers, my doctors, and logging MFP - I know that I won't be stopped. My BIG goal weight is 200 pounds, but the shorter term goal is to get out of the 3 club by 12/31 (~100 pounds down). I also use a step-tracker (went from my iPhone to Garmin GPS Golf to Fitbit). The every day things have become much easier than they were back at the beginning of the summer - my golf swing is going to have some serious changes needed with my big belly shrinking the way it has... I have a long way to go, but to the people with huge weight loss goals, just don't give up. Set small goals along the way. Be open with others about your journey. Know that you are making the change to live a long healthy and happy life.

Hi @dishiznice Matt,

Welcome.

I don't care much for weight and date goals but I have a feeling you are going to be happy with whatever you weigh on 12/31 because it will still be less than it is today.

Jump in anywhere. I look forward to following your progress.
  • dustyspal
    dustyspal Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    CML32518 wrote: »

Stick to it, you'll get there. I was there, too. I started at 343. I'm at 261 now. Find what works best for you and make it your plan. I have just been watching calories and walking. It's worked for me, so that's what I do.