TEAM: Gutbusters (January)

Options

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    metubal wrote: »
    Day 4 (as of 8pm)
    Exercise: 2.9 miles dog walking (it counts, right?)
    Calories: I'm stuck at 950 cals today but I'm full, can't add more really)
    Tracked: yes

I have to decide on the definition of "processed" foods. Is tortilla or yogurt processed within the context of my diet? Apparently it also depends on the tortilla or the yogurt I'm eating 😉. Hmmm, need to think over this a little more.
    @metubal. 2.9 miles dog walking does count.

"Processed" foods are essentially any food that has reduced fiber from it's natural form.
    • Yogurt is milk that has had bacteria work on it, but essentially, nothing nutritional is removed. A lot of yogurts add sugar to bump up the sweetness, so be wary.
    • Corn tortilla's are quite processed, but the processing for corn for a tortilla does not remove an much fiber as a wheat tortilla. (uses masa harina instead of cornmeal).
    • Wheat tortilla's are mode from refined wheat flour. Refined wheat flour is made from refined and processed wheat grain (a lot of fiber already removed). Anything made from refined flour would be classed as "processed".

Generally "processed" foods have a long shelf life without refrigeration. For example, processed wheat flour can last as long as 6 months without refrigeration (8 in a pantry).

Keto works on keeping a low nett carb count. Nett carbs are carbs without fiber.

If limiting "processed" food, food with a low nett carb count per unit weight is a good guide.

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    January 5
    Exercised?: Yes (6 km walk in 46 mins)
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Cooler weather today. Can walk faster when it's not as warm.

Raining when I got up this morning, so no flying today.

To all Gutbusters. I have put together a list of "activities" that can be used to assist in achieving weight goals. These are all principals that I follow and things I do on a daily/weekly basis. These activities help keep my mind and body in order. These can be taken as a mini-challenge and I will post one a day.

The first mini-challenge is to commit to weigh every day at the same time (ideally in the morning before eating anything).

The ONLY figures to take note of is the 7 day average. Which means you need 7 successive weighs to get any meaningful value.

Why weigh every day? Water weight changes every day and makes a significant difference. Up to 2 lbs variance a day. By weighing every day you get an average instead of highs and lows based on sodium intake, overhydration, dehydration, etc...

Second reason for weighing every day is that the average will come in important in calculating your TDEE. TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is essentially your metabolic rate (how fast you burn what you eat). This will let you more accurately set a daily calorie target to get to the target weight you want. The weighing helps because burning 3500 calories more than being consumed should reduce weight by approximately 1 pound (fat burning).

Below is my graph from last month (in Australia kilograms is the normal weight, not pounds - each kilogram is approximately 2.2 pounds).

sem75ctqr6ln.jpg

Note how the blue line jumps around a lot, but the orange line (average of 7 days) is much smoother. Each day's weight is JUST a data point. The 7 day trend is what gets focused on.
  • FatimaStartsAllOver
    FatimaStartsAllOver Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    @BonnieHosk85 - the January 2020 spreadsheet has my starting weight WRONG, has me almost 30lbs HEAVIER, 😪
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @zengen09 - thanks for your intro! Congratulations on your tremendous success so far! Glad to have you as part of our fit family! :heart:

@SillyCat1975, whatever works for you works for us! :smile:

Happy Sunday! Welcome to the first week for January, Gutbusters!

For those of you who are new to the group, here are some weigh-in FAQs:

• When do I post my weigh-in?
    Post on your "scheduled weigh-in day". So, if you posted a weight in the New Member Registration thread on a Tuesday, then your scheduled weigh-in day will be each Tuesday of the month. Let me know if you have a question.

• Why is Week 1 beginning on Sunday? Haven't we been already posted our starting weights?
    Think of it as a first birthday. You're born, then you must live a whole year before you can celebrate being 1. In this challenge, you post a starting weight, then you have a whole week to work on weight loss before you post your Week 1 weigh-in.

• How do I post my weigh-in?
    Your posts should look like this:
    Username:
    Week: January Week 1
    PW: Previous Weight in pounds
    CW: Current Weight in pounds

• What's my previous weight?
    If you're new, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever weight you posted in the New Member Registration thread or check out the current spreadsheet to see what your posted info says. If you're returning, your Week 1 previous weight is whatever your weight was in the last week of the previous month.

• Team Dynamics!
    A successful month will also include checking in each day with our team. Strive to become acquainted with everyone on the team and encourage each other in the successes and failures we will all experience. Our members are invited to post daily following the guidelines of another challenge called UAC (Ultimate Accountability Challenge). Very simple, but effective, in keeping us focused on our health goals. Please feel free to join that monthly challenge as well. @RangerRickL does a fantastic job there keeping us motivated daily. I don’t think I’d be as far along on my journey if it wasn’t for TBL and UAC. If you’d like to participate in those guidelines, post this daily with the results.
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?
    Along with our daily check-ins, we will also have mini-challenges weekly. If you think of something that may be a good challenge during the week you can post the ideas on the monthly thread or send them to me privately.

• I'm still confused. Who can help me?
    Just ask a question here and tag me @BonnieHosk85 or our coach @craigo3154. We want you to succeed as much as we want success for ourselves. If you need to drop out for the month, we’ll hate to see you go but just let us know. Have a great month!!

Blessings,
    Bonnie

• BonnieHosk85
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Good morning!

Today we’re looking for weigh-ins from:

@33sandy1223
    @66Pinkie
    @crystalbarton31
    @SillyCat1975

Please post using this template:
    Username
    January Week 1
    PW:
    CW:

January spreadsheet has been posted:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1slpgeJxrIX31j1Bl79HTkprV9INhyWHGbqlSmNz8qos/edit#gid=254436757
  • MayaVDM
    MayaVDM Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Team,
    I’d like to come back to the group in January.
    MayaVDM
    Friday
    174lb
    (So sorry I was absent ,as I was traveling for 2 weeks Xmass vacation )
  • BonnieHosk85
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @MayaVDM, I've messaged Ashley and asked her if you can be added for January.

Update: she's got you in the Gutbusters for January. I let her know your starting weight was 174, correct? Thanks!

• BonnieHosk85
    Options
    @FatimaStartsAllOver, several are. I've let Ashley know and they will be corrected soon. Thanks for letting us know.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 , interesting graph. Is this on Excel? If so, can you share it here?
  • 66Pinkie
    66Pinkie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    @66Pinkie
    Week: January Week 1
    PW: 147.6
    CW: 145.5
  • 66Pinkie
    66Pinkie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello Team GutBusters!

I am new to this BLC, but have participated in a similar BLC inside MFP off and on for a few years. Since joining MFP I have reduced by 30 lbs but then 'celebrated' by slacking off on the good habits which helped me achieve this and for two years would regain and lose 5 lbs over and over again for an overall loss of 25 lbs. After achieving that 30 lb loss benchmark a few months back I again 'celebrated' by slacking off and eating junk food out of control for two months resulting in a 10 lb gain. So, here I am with a desire to get back to basics - eating well and moving more.

Full disclosure... historically I am a great starter, but lacking in commitment and follow through. It is my intention to correct this.

I am 53 years young with no family commitments other than my wee dog (Coco). I work full time (40+ hours per week) sitting at a desk (love my job, don't love sitting all day). In September 2019 I did two things to kickstart my journey back to weight loss and feeling better: purchased an annual membership at a nearby yoga studio and joined a "learn to run" clinic. I was well on track with both of these activities but was in a multi-vehicle car crash on Dec 3rd which has left me with neck, shoulder and low back pain. I haven't run or been to yoga since then. Presently my only exercise is walking and mild hiking (I live at the base of a large hill / small mountain which helps provides low impact cardio and heavenly time in nature).

January 4
    Exercised?: Yes
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Sillycat1975
    Jan Week 1
    PW: 238.6
    CW: 236.6
  • BB_1033
    BB_1033 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi team ... sorry for not checking in like I use to. Busy busy busy. Also I'm finding here lately I don't even have the desire to eat, like my appetite has gone WAYYY down lol. So I haven't been the best at tracking either, not that I've even ate up to 1000 calories all this week I'm sure. One month I'm fighting stress eating, now I'm struggling to eat period LOL 🤦🏻‍♀️ ... I'm pretty sure it's just exhaustion. A few lazy days of rest and I'll be somewhat good as new.
  • BonnieHosk85
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @BB_1033, please get your rest and take care of yourself. :heart:

@SillyCat1975, excellent loss! Congrats!! :star:

@33sandy1223, I see some 1's in your future!! Congrats on your loss!! :star:

@66Pinkie, wonderful loss!! Congrats!! :star: So sorry about your car crash. I sure hope that pain begins to disappear soon. :heart:

Great challenge, @craigo3154! I'm in!
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    December's Week 5 results and the Finale have been posted in the December thread. Go take a look and cheer on all our fabulous losers!!! :smiley:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10773475/team-gutbusters-december#latest
  • BonnieHosk85
    Options
    Welcome to our newest and final member, @corriepelc! Glad to have you with us, Corrie! Please post an introduction to the team when you have a minute. :heart:
  • AugustHorizons
    AugustHorizons Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ~ 5th of January ~
    Exercised?: yes - 20 mins yoga, 20 minute walk around the neighbourhood
    Within calories?: yes
    Everything tracked?: yes
  • FatimaStartsAllOver
    FatimaStartsAllOver Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    1/5/2020
    Exercised? YES, one hour and 10 mins