Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi

My name is Charley, I'm 32 and have 3 children. I am a 2nd year nursing student. I have lots of weight to shift mainly for my health but also because me confidence is at an all time low. I have reached the point where looking at photos is becoming painful.

I am unsure how to use MFP yet, even writing this now I'm not sure if it's going to post where I intend it to hahha. If you could all add me as a friend that would be lovely? Support is what I've lacked the most when I've tried to lose weight and I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me with that. I look forward to receiving some friend requests!

Thanks 😬

Hi @Charley872017 Charley,

If you have any questions about how to use MFP I encourage you to ask them. In the meantime here is one of our threads with general getting started advice:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756250/advice-guidance/p1

I definitely understand about the photos thing. For years I acted like I was in the witness protection program and tried to avoid any pictures of myself. That may not be the healthiest of attitudes but it never seemed like a high priority item to try and fix. Weight comes with a lot of baggage as many people here in this group understand very well.

• NovusDies
    Options
    Cadencec1 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm Cadence. I'm 25 and recently married. I've been overweight my whole life, but I've started noticing that it was holding me back. I can't do some things, and other things are just uncomfortable, like concerts and amusement parks. Another big motivator for me trying to lose weight is that I have PCOS, and I think that if we want to have kids, I'm going to have to lose some weight.

I started logging my food and exercising more in January 2020, and I'm working on trying to incorporate more strength training and learning to find balance and working on perseverance and not giving up. Accountability would be much welcome.

HW: 333
    CW: 295
    GW: *not set

Hi @Cadencec1 Cadence,

Welcome and congrats on getting married!

I am glad you are thinking of getting the weight off now. The limitations you feel now tend to get more pronounced with age. Carrying too much weight has a degrading affect on joints among other things. It can also result in earlier instances of high blood pressure, cholesterol, and insulin resistance. It is far better to get to a healthier weight well before these things occur. Also... I am sure it helps with the whole pregnancy thing!

We are not as much of an accountability group as much as a support group for helping through the struggle periods and, if needed, try to improve mindset and sustainability.

Hope to see you around
  • kecward78
    kecward78 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Keith. I'm 59 and about 5'11".

Over the years I've gradually gotten bigger and bigger, some from boredom, some from depression. I haven't enjoyed life for the past 10 years or so. In that time, I was already at 260 and have gone up to 402 in mid-November of last year.

I started watching this guy on YouTube that lost about 70 lbs. from walking. And I thought to myself, I can do that. So, I started walking. I probably tried to do too much too soon and hurt my knee. That stopped me dead in my tracks. But then I started reading and seeing videos for Intermittent Fasting. One of my major problems has always been eating at night. Mindless eating watching tv or a ball game. But I figured that if I could stop myself by 8PM, I could try that.

So, after just walking for the first 7 weeks and going from 402 down to 389 (still pretty good), I've dropped to 379 in the past 9 days. Sounds great, but it brings up my second fear (being too fat is my first)... loose skin.

Well, there apparently has been some evidence that IF can help with that loose skin if you also keep very hydrated and use proper skin care (natural soaps and moisturizing).
    I had originally signed up for both DietBet and StepBet. StepBet I started and was doing really well until that knee injury. I found that if I use the eliptical at my local PlanetFitness, it doesn't hurt my knee.

One other thing, even attempting to do a HIIT (high intensity) for someone my size is ridiculous. But another YouTuber mentioned that she lost the little bit of bellyfat from walking. As a dietician, she explained that low intensity exercise, like casual walking or slow bike riding, decrease the cortisol that causes bellyfat. Along with an insulin decrease from IF, they work together to help decrease bodyfat.

So this is my plan. IF, low intensity interval training with walking and the eliptical, and now starting some weight lifting and kettlebell work. I have also seen that DDPYoga did wonders for a guy that was not only fat, but also had badly damaged his knees from his time in the military (jumping out of planes will do that). So I may do some of the easier versions to see if that helps, too. I use MFP and have both a FitBit Versa and Wahoo TickrFit to track my exercise.

Wish me luck!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    kecward78 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! My name is Keith. I'm 59 and about 5'11".

Over the years I've gradually gotten bigger and bigger, some from boredom, some from depression. I haven't enjoyed life for the past 10 years or so. In that time, I was already at 260 and have gone up to 402 in mid-November of last year.

I started watching this guy on YouTube that lost about 70 lbs. from walking. And I thought to myself, I can do that. So, I started walking. I probably tried to do too much too soon and hurt my knee. That stopped me dead in my tracks. But then I started reading and seeing videos for Intermittent Fasting. One of my major problems has always been eating at night. Mindless eating watching tv or a ball game. But I figured that if I could stop myself by 8PM, I could try that.

So, after just walking for the first 7 weeks and going from 402 down to 389 (still pretty good), I've dropped to 379 in the past 9 days. Sounds great, but it brings up my second fear (being too fat is my first)... loose skin.

Well, there apparently has been some evidence that IF can help with that loose skin if you also keep very hydrated and use proper skin care (natural soaps and moisturizing).
    I had originally signed up for both DietBet and StepBet. StepBet I started and was doing really well until that knee injury. I found that if I use the eliptical at my local PlanetFitness, it doesn't hurt my knee.

One other thing, even attempting to do a HIIT (high intensity) for someone my size is ridiculous. But another YouTuber mentioned that she lost the little bit of bellyfat from walking. As a dietician, she explained that low intensity exercise, like casual walking or slow bike riding, decrease the cortisol that causes bellyfat. Along with an insulin decrease from IF, they work together to help decrease bodyfat.

So this is my plan. IF, low intensity interval training with walking and the eliptical, and now starting some weight lifting and kettlebell work. I have also seen that DDPYoga did wonders for a guy that was not only fat, but also had badly damaged his knees from his time in the military (jumping out of planes will do that). So I may do some of the easier versions to see if that helps, too. I use MFP and have both a FitBit Versa and Wahoo TickrFit to track my exercise.

Wish me luck!

Hi @kecward78 Keith,

Welcome.

You are very enthusiastic which is great unless you let it move you to make too many changes at one time or push yourself too hard. Remember that the only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit so there is no rush to add more exercise until you get settled with the amount you have already added.

I should also caution you about getting too much information from youtube. There is no way to specifically target belly fat. Where you gain and where you lose from first is determined only by genetics. To my knowledge reducing cortisol does reduce water weight and that could be water bloat in the abdomen but that is not related to fat.

I am aware of no research study that shows that IF improves loose skin. It certainly did nothing for me. Staying hydrated will improve skin health but that is not a cure for loose skin. Losing your weight at a healthy pace (not too fast) will also improve skin health because you will be able to provide more nutrition but that is not a cure either. The amount you will have and the amount it will tighten on its own is determined by age, quality of skin, genetics, and weight distribution.

My weight distribution was so terrible that I am actually going to need two surgeries to deal with my skin. I have already been through one. It is no picnic but I am not afraid to do it again when the time comes.
  • jhvosloo
    jhvosloo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Greetings. I'm 30 years old and 1.9m tall.

Ever since i could remeber I've been over weight. Being at 170kg gave the final push for change. I can't buy the clothes I want, I have to consider seating arrangements due to my size, my job is being compromised. Enough is enough
  • yxba
    yxba Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was 6'3 330 pounds in high school. When I was 19 i got into body building and got down to 199 pounds with solid muscle. Over the years i slowly but surely gained the weight back. Then when I was 31 i dealt with severe stress and mental illness due to some traumatic events. I ended up gaining heavily and winded up at 512 pounds. Slowly I got my mind right and eventually started losing weight again. In the past 2 and half years ive lost 312 pounds and am now 100 pounds away from my goal weight. I currently sit at 300 pounds. It was a real struggle getting to this point because i developed osteoarthritis in my knees and also lower back issues that have really reduced the options I have for exercise. Ive been eating 2000 calories per day and I go to yoga 3 days a week. Im also on a program with an athletic therapist to deal with my back problems and help support me knees. So im doing glute activations and knee exercises at home every day.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    jhvosloo wrote: »
    Greetings. I'm 30 years old and 1.9m tall.

Ever since i could remeber I've been over weight. Being at 170kg gave the final push for change. I can't buy the clothes I want, I have to consider seating arrangements due to my size, my job is being compromised. Enough is enough

Hi @jhvosloo,

Welcome.

I think many people understand at least part of what you are going through. It is no fun when even the most mundane of tasks present a challenge. I lived that way for far too long.

Weight loss is not something that happens fast. Try not to let the frustration you feel for your present situation impact your patience or push you towards being more aggressive than you need to be.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    yxba wrote: »
    Hi there. I was 6'3 330 pounds in high school. When I was 19 i got into body building and got down to 199 pounds with solid muscle. Over the years i slowly but surely gained the weight back. Then when I was 31 i dealt with severe stress and mental illness due to some traumatic events. I ended up gaining heavily and winded up at 512 pounds. Slowly I got my mind right and eventually started losing weight again. In the past 2 and half years ive lost 312 pounds and am now 100 pounds away from my goal weight. I currently sit at 300 pounds. It was a real struggle getting to this point because i developed osteoarthritis in my knees and also lower back issues that have really reduced the options I have for exercise. Ive been eating 2000 calories per day and I go to yoga 3 days a week. Im also on a program with an athletic therapist to deal with my back problems and help support me knees. So im doing glute activations and knee exercises at home every day.

Hi @yxba

I am glad you decided to join us. I think you will both help the group with your inspirational loss and be helped by the group who may not understand all that you have or are going through but will understand parts of it.

You reminded me that I was supposed to get a call from a physical therapist last month about my knees and I have not checked back to find out why no one has contacted me yet.
  • yxba
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

Hi @yxba

I am glad you decided to join us. I think you will both help the group with your inspirational loss and be helped by the group who may not understand all that you have or are going through but will understand parts of it.

You reminded me that I was supposed to get a call from a physical therapist last month about my knees and I have not checked back to find out why no one has contacted me yet.

Do you have arthritis as well?
  • NovusDies
    Options

Hi @yxba

I think that is the official diagnosis but mostly I have very little cartilage left. I am getting shots right now to improve function and hold off knee replacement.
  • yxba
    Options

Hi @yxba

I think that is the official diagnosis but mostly I have very little cartilage left. I am getting shots right now to improve function and hold off knee replacement.

Sorry to hear that. I don't think mine is that severe yet. My fear is that ive got it so young and I am basically too heavy for knee replacement surgery. So im trying to slow down the process and also get my weight to a place where if i need replacement surgery as some point i won't put unneeded pressure on the replacement.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    My story starts in December 2018. I was married, with my 25th wedding anniversary coming up the following year. We'd had three kids together. He is obese, with congestive heart failure and COPD, and he had sabotaged any attempt I had made to change my eating habits. He was verbally and emotionally abusive, and would not let me get treated for several medical conditions. I realized I was passively suicidal.

In January 2019 , I moved out. The divorce was final in March. I spent the year dealing with both the emotional fallout from the divorce and the difficulties I had with moving out of the area I'd spent my whole life in. December of 2019, I finally felt stable enough to start, and in January 2020 I went to a primary care physician for the first time in six years, and started on MFP and began to work out.

It's been slow. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my feet related to a car accident in my twenties. They put my foot back together with pins and screws and said it would be arthritic in my forties, and they were right. I have a standing/walking/weightbearing budget, and I have to consider this in my exercising and my daily life. I also have exercise intolerance. I can't work out like most people, it will put me in bed for two days.

But so far January has seen me drop from 296 to 285, and lose two inches on the belly , two on the hips, and two on the thighs. My jeans are loose, but not quite to where I need a new size. I feel amazingly better, big and powerful instead of big and lumpy. My boyfriend can't keep his hands off me. He likes to feel the muscles as I build them.

My goal is 180, and once there I'll consider a few pounds more in relation to my frame. I'm not a small woman. I'm 5'7", and athletically built under the fat, with a pin-up figure. (My back issue is lordosis.)

I've realized this isn't a temporary diet. I'm going to have to measure and watch my consumption for the rest of my life. I'm okay with this, because it's a comfortable and easy place to be, and I eat things I like and get enough to be satisfied.

I now live happily with my boyfriend and my girlfriend, and my boyfriend and I are kicking around the idea of an engagement ring sometime this fall, and a wedding the following year. We're looking at moving this year to the north end of the city we live in. We have a lot of challenges; all three of us have mental health issues, all three of us have spinal issues that will only get worse as we get older, and all three of us have disordered relationships to food. But together, we'll get ourselves better. I adore the support I find here on MFP.
  • NovusDies
    Options

Hi @yxba

Sorry to hear that. I don't think mine is that severe yet. My fear is that ive got it so young and I am basically too heavy for knee replacement surgery. So im trying to slow down the process and also get my weight to a place where if i need replacement surgery as some point i won't put unneeded pressure on the replacement.

That was my thoughts too. I didn't want to try to go through recovery which can be hard for people with normal sized people while I was much heavier. Luckily I can hold out for awhile and get my weight down even further and my fitness up which should help when the time comes.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    My story starts in December 2018. I was married, with my 25th wedding anniversary coming up the following year. We'd had three kids together. He is obese, with congestive heart failure and COPD, and he had sabotaged any attempt I had made to change my eating habits. He was verbally and emotionally abusive, and would not let me get treated for several medical conditions. I realized I was passively suicidal.

In January 2019 , I moved out. The divorce was final in March. I spent the year dealing with both the emotional fallout from the divorce and the difficulties I had with moving out of the area I'd spent my whole life in. December of 2019, I finally felt stable enough to start, and in January 2020 I went to a primary care physician for the first time in six years, and started on MFP and began to work out.

It's been slow. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my feet related to a car accident in my twenties. They put my foot back together with pins and screws and said it would be arthritic in my forties, and they were right. I have a standing/walking/weightbearing budget, and I have to consider this in my exercising and my daily life. I also have exercise intolerance. I can't work out like most people, it will put me in bed for two days.

But so far January has seen me drop from 296 to 285, and lose two inches on the belly , two on the hips, and two on the thighs. My jeans are loose, but not quite to where I need a new size. I feel amazingly better, big and powerful instead of big and lumpy. My boyfriend can't keep his hands off me. He likes to feel the muscles as I build them.

My goal is 180, and once there I'll consider a few pounds more in relation to my frame. I'm not a small woman. I'm 5'7", and athletically built under the fat, with a pin-up figure. (My back issue is lordosis.)

I've realized this isn't a temporary diet. I'm going to have to measure and watch my consumption for the rest of my life. I'm okay with this, because it's a comfortable and easy place to be, and I eat things I like and get enough to be satisfied.

I now live happily with my boyfriend and my girlfriend, and my boyfriend and I are kicking around the idea of an engagement ring sometime this fall, and a wedding the following year. We're looking at moving this year to the north end of the city we live in. We have a lot of challenges; all three of us have mental health issues, all three of us have spinal issues that will only get worse as we get older, and all three of us have disordered relationships to food. But together, we'll get ourselves better. I adore the support I find here on MFP.

Hi @theleadmare,

That is quite a story. Congrats on the progress you have made. I love that you are already feeling stronger and allowing that to be your mindset. It really helps to focus on the positives to help with the passage of time.

Welcome!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Thank you! I'm building the body I want to live in for the rest of my life.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Wow!...some powerful and impressive introductions today!...you will all benefit from this motivated and supportive group of MFP pals...you should read all of the topics here and comments, they are so helpful and make us realize we are all in this together...welcome!
  • JJKM73
    JJKM73 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone! I am happy to have found this group. I am 46, happily married and a mom to two boys. Our oldest son is away at university and our youngest is in Grade 11. I also teach middle school!

I have been overweight my entire adult life and frankly, I am tired of it. I have had some trauma that seems to slow me down. I was quite sick a few years ago and after recovering, joined MFP and lost about 60 lbs. Sadly, I became complacent and gained it all back. When I was successful before, I had joined MFP, tracked my food, and created a support system here. So here I am...weighing in at 352lbs.

Thanks for listening! Looking forward to us all shrinking together!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    JJKM73 wrote: »
    Hi there everyone! I am happy to have found this group. I am 46, happily married and a mom to two boys. Our oldest son is away at university and our youngest is in Grade 11. I also teach middle school!

I have been overweight my entire adult life and frankly, I am tired of it. I have had some trauma that seems to slow me down. I was quite sick a few years ago and after recovering, joined MFP and lost about 60 lbs. Sadly, I became complacent and gained it all back. When I was successful before, I had joined MFP, tracked my food, and created a support system here. So here I am...weighing in at 352lbs.

Thanks for listening! Looking forward to us all shrinking together!

Hi @JJKM73,

Welcome to LL.

You are not alone in being overweight or worse your entire adult life. That has been my story too. I am glad you are here. Jump in anywhere. We are not a very formal group.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I’m new to this group. Just found out about it. I’ve been getting more fit for about 20 months now. Started @ 308 lbs and today I weigh 201.5. I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I’m near goal of 190-195 but this last bit is moving really slow.

I’m inspired to read your posts and I’m finding MFP to be really helpful with logging my food etc.

Nice to meet you!!
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Kristy, I'm 41 and from New Zealand. Married with four kids - 16, 14, 11 (twins), and live right by the beach.

I've had a weight problem since I was a young child. As I got older my weight just got heavier - until 2011 when, at just on 150kg, I was desperate to avoid Weight Loss Surgery (personal preference after my mother had it done) and something just clicked in my brain. I found Weight Watchers, and then in 2013 MFP. By mid 2014 I had lost 73kg / 160lbs and maintained it for two years. I got qualified and started working as a Personal Trainer... but injury, then a chronic pain diagnosis, then severe migraines topped with depression/anxiety (myself and my teenager) and a bunch of other stress, and I went to pieces. I've had to learn not to use food as a coping mechanism, and to break habits of 30+ years. About a year ago I broke my 6 year logging streak on MFP so that I could focus on recovery, and now I've just started logging regularly again and lost a bit since then.

In general I've gained a heap of weight since mid 2016. Currently 123.7kg / 272.7lbs. Still have migraines and pain, some days worse than others, which are the days that are much harder. But still manageable. So here I am.

I don't really have a specific weight goal in mind. Back when I was in the mid 70kg range in 2016 I was an NZ size 8/ US size 4 clothing, and it would be nice to get back around that size. But, health is my first priority and I'm not hung up on a particular number - clothes or scale!